VA Kurkin, AE Saveleva, AV Kurkina
VA Kurkin*, AE Saveleva, AV Kurkina
Department of Pharmacognosy, Botany and Basics of Phytotherapy, Samara State Medical University, Ulitsa Chapaevskaya 89, Samara, 443099, Russian Federation.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 5,
Year - 2022
The flowers of spreading marigold (Tagetes patula L.) are new interesting view of medicinal plant material. This raw material is one of the valuable sources of flavonoids. The aim of this study was to develop a method for the quantitative determination of the patulitrin (7-O-ß-D-glucopyranoside of 3,5,7,3’,4’-pentahydroxy-6-methoxyflavone) and patuletin (3,5,7,3’,4’-pentahydroxy-6-methoxyflavone) content in flowers of spreading marigold by HPLC. The inflorescences of spreading marigold (Tagetes patula L.) variety "Tangerine", collected in August-September 2018 and 2019 in the Botanical Garden of the Samara University. The water-alcohol extracts were obtained from spreading marigold flowers, which were used for qualitative and quantitative analysis, as well as for preparative isolation of individual compounds. There was developed the method of determination of patulitrin and patuletin in the spreading marigold flowers (Tagetes patula L.) using high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC). The content of dominant flavonoid patulitrin in the flowers of T. patula varies from 5.11±0.18% to 5.64±0.17%. The error of single determination of patulitrin in the spreading marigold flowers with confidence probability of 95 % is ±3.32%. The results of the studies carried out indicate the advisability of the standardization of the flowers of the spreading marigold by determining of the content of the main and diagnostically significant flavonoid, patulitrin, using the HPLC method and detection on a UV detector at a wavelength of 360 nm.
Cite this article:
VA Kurkin, AE Saveleva, AV Kurkina. HPLC Analysis of Patulitrin and Patuletin in Flowers of Tagetes Patula L. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(5):2216-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00368
VA Kurkin, AE Saveleva, AV Kurkina. HPLC Analysis of Patulitrin and Patuletin in Flowers of Tagetes Patula L. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(5):2216-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00368 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-5-50
1. Nikolaevsky VV. Aromatherapy: A Guide. M.: Medicine Publ.; 2000; 336 p.
2. Gongadze M. Machavariani M. Enukidze M. Gogia N. Iobadze M. Chkhikvishvili I. French marigold (Tagetes patula L.) flower extract protects kidney cells from inflammation in vitro. Georgian Med. News. 2019; (297): 154–157. PMID: 32011313
3. Malyugina EA. Mazulin AV. Smoilovskaya GP. Determination of the quantitative content of the main biologically active components in the inflorescences of Tagetes patula L. Nauchn. Tr. SWorld, 2015; 2(39): 48 – 52.
4. Chervonnaya NM. Andreeva OA. Adzhiakhmetova SL. Oganesian ET. On the content of phenolic compounds in the concentrations of the Tagetes patula L. Chemistry of plant raw material. 2018; (3): 91-98. doi:10.14258/jcprm.2018033714
5. Podgornaya ZhV. Authors Abstract of a Candidate Dissertation in Pharmaceutical Sciences, Pyatigorsk (2008).
6. Benea A. Ciobanu C. Cojocaru-Toma M. Ciobanu N. Determination of carotenoids in extracts from species of Tagetes and Calendula. The Moldovan Medical Journal. 2020; (63): 23-26. doi:10.5281/zenodo.4016806
7. Deepshikha K. Yashodhara V. Evaluation of Antioxidant and Free Radical Scavenging Activity of Tagetes patula. Annual Research & Review in Biology. 2017; 13(6): 1-8. doi : 10.9734/ARRB/2017/34349
8. Lomkina EM. Chervonnaya NM. Kurkin DV. Volotova. EV. Bakulin DA. Oganesyan ET. Andreeva OA. Tyurenkov IN. Effect of French marigold extract on wound healing in diabetes mellitus. Farmatsiia. 2016; (3): 37-39. doi: https://doi.org/None
9. Papayani OI, Dukhanina IV, Sergeeva EO. Study of the chemical composition and antimicrobial activity of dry extract from flowers Tagetes patula L. Izv. Samar. Nauchn. Tsentra Ross. Akad. Nauk. 2012; 14(5): 745 – 747.
10. Mabry TJ. Markham KR. Thomas MB. The Systematic Identification of Flavonoids. Springer Verlag, Berlin-Heidelberg-New York.; 1970; 354 p. doi: 10.1007/978-3-642-88458-0