Marlon Ramcy Henry Miranda, Narayana Charyulu R, Jobin Jose, Sandeep DS
Marlon Ramcy Henry Miranda, Narayana Charyulu R*, Jobin Jose, Sandeep DS
NITTE (Deemed to be University), NGSM Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences Department of Pharmaceutical Regulatory Affairs, Paneer, Deralakatte, Mangalore - 575 018, India.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 5,
Year - 2022
Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient is an ingredient in a drug product that is biologically active. A Drug Product will contain two components, one is the Active Ingredient and the other is the Excipients part. Drug Product that has to be placed in the European market needs to have a marketing authorization. Marketing Authorization is the process in which the drug product is evaluated for its safety and compliance with the standards laid down by the Regulatory Authority, considering the safety of patients and public. There are different Procedures for the application of Marketing Authorization. Applicants can either apply for marketing authorization through centralized procedure, decentralized procedure, mutual recognition procedure or the nationalized procedure. Active Substance Master File (ASMF) is a Regulatory Dossier that helps provide confidential data pertaining to the Active Substance to the regulatory authority. This master file shall contain data from the research of the product to the development and lifecycle of the product. ASMF contains two parts, the restricted part and the open part. Both of these parts of ASMF shall not be shared to anyone without a written consent from the ASMF Holder. This master file makes it easy for the application of any Marketing authorization and also makes it easy for the regulators to access all the required data. European Union thus has laid down many Regulations and guidelines for the application of Marketing Authorization and also on how an ASMF is filed in European Union. The current work aims at methodically analyzing the guidance documents that are available and thus help in the review of regulations for the application of Marketing Authorization and also in knowing the process for the filing of Active Substance Master File (ASMF) in the European Market.
Cite this article:
Marlon Ramcy Henry Miranda, Narayana Charyulu R, Jobin Jose, Sandeep DS. Current Regulations for Marketing Authorization and Procedure for Filing of Active Substance Master File (ASMF) in European Union: A Case Study. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(5):2070-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00342
Marlon Ramcy Henry Miranda, Narayana Charyulu R, Jobin Jose, Sandeep DS. Current Regulations for Marketing Authorization and Procedure for Filing of Active Substance Master File (ASMF) in European Union: A Case Study. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(5):2070-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00342 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-5-24
1. Nandini N. Marketing Authorization and strategies for the promotion of Drugs in India, Europe and USA. World J Pharm Pharm Sci. 2019; 8(8): 1-17.
2. Final Guideline Active Substance Master File: Available from: URL:https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/human-regulatory/active-pharmceutical-ingredient/guidance-document (accessed on 17th September 2019).
3. Narla SK. Marketing Authorization of Human Medicinal Products to European Union/European Economic Area. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res. 2011; 10(1): 1-9.
4. Panfilova H, Olesia N, Liusine S, Oksana T. The Analysis of Organizational Approaches in Drug Registration in the EU, Ukraine, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan. Res J Pharm Tech. 2018; 11(5):1894-1900.
5. Nuthalakanti N, Priyanka B. Marketing Authorization and Strategies for the Promotion of drugs in India, Europe and USA. World J Pharm Pharm Sci. 2019; 8(8): 336-52.
6. Kekare A, PC J, Janodia M et al. Drug product registration and marketing authorization procedures in EU-A perspective. Marmara Pharmaceutical Journal. 2013; 17(1): 1-6.
7. Skrnjug I, Uzeirbegovic S, Romcevic ML, Tomic S et al. Mutual Recognition in European System: A blueprint for increasing access to medicines. Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology. 2019; 106(1): 270-77.
8. Makvana P, Maheshwari D. Regulatory Requirements for Marketing Authorization of Generic Product in European Countries by Decentralised Procedure. J Pharm Sci Bioscient Res. 2014; 4(2): 145-49.
9. Jayalakshmi B, Seetharaman R, Kamaraj R. Registration and Regulatory Requirements of Generic Drugs Marketing Authorization in “BRICS” Countries. Res J Pharm Tech. 2019; 12(3): 1403-1408.
10. Jawahar. N, Shrivastava N, Ramachandran. A, Priyadharshini BR. Procedures and Applications for Marketing Authorization of Medicinal Products in European Union. J Pharm Sci and Res. 2015; 7(4): 219-25.
11. Sathya Narayanan AS, Lakshmi KS, Raju K. An Overview on Good Pharmacovigilance Practices and New Operational Plan Milestones of Eudravigilance in European Union. Res J Pharm Tech. 2020; 13(4):1793-1798.
12. Todi M. Dossier for Marketing Authorization in European Union. Bos J Basic Med Sci. 2002; 2(2): 56-60.
13. Prathyusha DS, Ngabhushanam BBMV, Reddy DN. Marketing Authorization Process of New Drug Substances in U.S and Europe. Indo Ame J Pharm Sci. 2017; 4(6): 1690-98.
14. Elias S, Yaser B, Saleh T. Quality control of the active Pharmaceutical ingredients of some Pharmaceutical products prior the termination of their shelf life. Res J Pharm Tech. 2019; 12(12): 6111-6118.
15. Pawan KP, Nidhi J, Pathak AK, Panigrah MK, Arun KI. Fixed Dose Combination Product: Current Status Among Regulatory Agencies. Res J Pharm Tech.2009; 2(3);433-438.
16. Bhargava NS, Shah DB, Maheshwari DG. Registration Process of API in U.S and Europe along with comparison of USDMF and EUDMF. Int J Pharm Sci Res. 2015; 6(3): 486-94.
17. Mithun EG, Puranik SB, Hasija N. An Overview of Registration of API in Regulated Markets (USFDA, Canada, EU and EDQM). Int Journal of Pharm Pharm Res. 2016; 8(1): 216-31.
18. Srilakshmi C. Regulatory Requirements for Registration of API in US and EU. Int J Pharm Chem Res. 2017; 3(2): 312-28.
19. Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient Guidance Document: Available from: URL:https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/human-regulatory/active-pharmceutical-ingredient/guidance-document (accessed on 5th September 2019).
20. European Drug Master File for Active Substance:Available from: URL:https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/human-regulatory/active-pharmceutical-ingredient/guidance-document/Directive-75/318/EEC (accessed on 2nd December 2019)
21. Guidelines Active Substance Master File Procedure Available from: URL:https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/human-regulatory/active-pharmceutical-ingredient/guidance-document-active-substance-master-file-procedure (accessed on 2nd December 2019).