Athaya K. Mulyadi, Tri W. Suprayogi, Maslichah Mafruchati, Imam Mustofa, Eka P. Hestianah, Juliano M. Ntoruru, Epy M. Luqman
Athaya K. Mulyadi1, Tri W. Suprayogi1, Maslichah Mafruchati1, Imam Mustofa1, Eka P. Hestianah1, Juliano M. Ntoruru2, Epy M. Luqman1*
1Department of Veterinary Science, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Universitas Airlangga Jl Muyorejo Surabaya, 60115 Indonesia.
2Research Assistant, Meru University of Science and Technology, Kenya.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 5,
Year - 2022
The study aimed to know the effect of Kebar grass extraction amounts of mice (Mus musculus) follicles ovary exposed by carbofuran. This study was an experimental study with a completely randomized design. Forty two lactation mice used in this study were divided into seven groups, that were: C was control (Aquadest), P1 was injected with carbofuran 1/4 LD50 (0.0125mg/day), P2 was injected with carbofuran 1/8 LD50 (0.00625mg/day), P3 was injected with carbofuran 1/4 LD50 (0.0125mg/day) and Kebar grass extract (0.135mg/day), P4 was injected with carbofuran 1/8 LD50 (0.00625mg/day) and Kebar grass extract (0.135mg/day), P5 was injected with carbofuran 1/4 LD50 (0.0125mg/day) and vitamin C (0.2ml/day) and P6 was injected with carbofuran 1/8 LD50 (0.00625mg/day) and vitamin C (0.2ml/day) with a treatment period of 14 days. Then on the 15day of treatment, mice were sacrificed, and the ovary was taken. Then, histology preparation with HE (Hematoxylin-eosin) staining was made, and follicles ovary were counted. Data were analyzed by One Way ANOVA followed by the Duncan test. This study showed that exposed carbofuran was a significant decrease in the growth of ovarian follicles (p<0.05). The administration of the Kebar grass extraction exposure to carbofuran is proven to increase primary and secondary follicles. The Kebar grass extraction administration gave a better effect than vitamin C (p<0.05).
Cite this article:
Athaya K. Mulyadi, Tri W. Suprayogi, Maslichah Mafruchati, Imam Mustofa, Eka P. Hestianah, Juliano M. Ntoruru, Epy M. Luqman. The Effect of Kebar Grass Extract (Biophytum petersianum Klotzch) on Total Growth of Ovarian Follicles on Mice (Mus Musculus) during Lactation period were Exposed by Carbofuran. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(5):2028-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00335
Athaya K. Mulyadi, Tri W. Suprayogi, Maslichah Mafruchati, Imam Mustofa, Eka P. Hestianah, Juliano M. Ntoruru, Epy M. Luqman. The Effect of Kebar Grass Extract (Biophytum petersianum Klotzch) on Total Growth of Ovarian Follicles on Mice (Mus Musculus) during Lactation period were Exposed by Carbofuran. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(5):2028-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00335 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-5-17
1. Indrianingsih. Effect of Carbamate Insecticide on Animal Health and its Products. Wartazoa Journal. 2008; 18(2): 101-114
2. Ardiwinata N, Jatmiko SY, Harsanti ES. Insecticide residue monitoring, West Java. Minutes of Seminar on Results of Research on Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Increasing Rice Productivity in Paddy Fields. Bogor. 1999; p. 91 – 105.
3. Wadhwa V, Bakre PP, Bakre VP. Avian Adrenal Respons to Furadan Sp 50. Journal of Environmental Biology.1991; 12(1):1-7.
4. Luqman EM, Widjiati, Mafruchati M, Rahardjo BPS, Hestianah EP. Crosstalk between Necrosis and Apoptosis of Embryonal Cerebral Cortex Neuron Mice (Mus musculus) Caused by Carbofuran Exposure. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019; 12(11):5492-5498.
5. Luqman EM, Widjiati, Yustinasari LR. Brain Cells Death on Infant Mice (Mus Musculus) Caused by Carbofuran Exposure During The Lactation Period. Kafkas Universitesi Veteriner Fakultesi Dergisi. 2018; 24(6): 845-852.
6. Arimbi, Azmiah A, Darsono R, Plumeriastuti H, Widyatmo TV, Legowo D. Veterinary General Pathology Textbook Ed 2nd. Airlangga University Press. Surabaya. 2015; p. 19
7. Widayati E. Biology Oxidation, Free Radicals, and Antioxidant. Scientific Magazine Sultan Agung. 2012; 50(128): 26-32.
8. Bhardwaj JK, Mittal MP, Saraf MP, Kumari P. Pesticide Induced Oxidative Stress and Female Infertility: A Review. Toxin Reviews. 2018; 1-13.
9. Baligar PN, Kaliwal BP. Reproductive Toxicity of Carbofuran to the Female Mice: Effects on Estrous Cycle and Follicles. Industrial Health. 2002; 40(4): 345-352.
10. Sharma D, Gurinder KS, Kuldeep SK. Triazopho Induced Oxidative Stress and Histomorphological Changes in Ovary of Female Wistar Rats. Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology. 2015; 117: 9-18.
11. Sufiriyanto, Indradji M. Evaluation ff The Effect of Anti-Steroidal Diazinon Contamination on The Ovaries and Adrenal Cortex in Animal Models. Animal Production. 2002; 4(2): 101 – 111
12. Kalaimathy A, Vidhya K. Surrogacy and Breastfeeding: Inducing Lactation. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2011; 1(3): 94-95.
13. Moran VH, Lowe N, Crossland N, Berti C, Cetin I, Hermoso M, Koletzko B, Dykes F. Nutritional Requirements During Lactation. Towards European Alignment of Reference Values: the EURRECA network. 2010; 6(2) 39-54.
14. Danasu R. Effectiveness of Reflex Zone Stimulation on initiation and maintenance of Lactation among Lactation Failure Mothers at SMVMCH, Kalitheerthalkuppam, Puducherry. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2015; 5(4): 505-512.
15. Pajewska-Szmyt M, Sinkiewicz-Darol E, Gadzala-Kopcluch. The Impact of Environmental Pollution on The Quality of Mother’s. Environmental Science and Pollution Research. 2019; 26: 7405-7427.
16. Alio A. Toxic Stress and Maternal and Infant Health: a Brief Overviews and Tips for Community Health Worker. New York. 2017;6.
17. Lopes TP, Padilla L, Bolarin A, Martinez HR, Roca J. Ovarian Follicle Growth during Lactation Determines the Reproductive Performance of Weaned Sows. Animals. 2020; 10: 1-12.
18. Werdhasari A. The Role of Antioxidants for Health. Indonesian Journal of Biotech Medisiana. 2014; 3(2): 59-68
19. Zambare KK, Thalkari AB, Tour NS, Reddy KV. Herbal Remedies for treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019; 9(2):112-114.
20. Khaira K. Counteract free radicals with antioxidants. Journal of Science and Technology. 2010; 2(2): 183-187.
21. Babu A, Veerasamy R, Sivadasan S. Metformin- A Drug of Plant Origin. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018; 11(6): 2701-2708.
22. Sayuti K, Rina, Y. Natural and Synthetic Antioxidants. Andalas University Press. Padang. 2015; p. 32, 38-39, 52-53, 70.
23. Lamid A. Vitamin E as antioxidant. Media Research and Development. 1995; 5(1): 14-16.
24. Luqman EM, Hestianah EP, Tehupuring BC, Yustinasari LR. 2020. Interaction Between Autophagy, Apoptosis and Necrosis of Infant Mice (Mus Musculus) Brain Cells From Its Carbofuran Exposed Mothers During Lactation Periods. Acta Veterinaria Brno 89 (2), 195-200.
25. Labib MF, Widjiati, Hernawati T, Luqman EM, Kurnijasanti R, Suprayogi TW. Kebar grass (Biophytum petersianum K.) The effect inmaintaining mice (Mus musculus) sperm quality exposed to dioxin. International Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2020, 11(3), 4977-4981.
26. AbbasHadi AH, Dohan KH. Effect of Potassium Dichromate on Ovary and Uterus in Female Mice. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018; 11(2):429-433.
27. Figueiredo JR, Lima LF, Silva JRV, Santos R. Control of Growth and Development of Preantral Follicle: insight from in vitro culture. Animal Reproduction. 2018; 15(1): 648-659.
28. Revathi R, Julius A. Effect of LH/FSH Ratio and its Correlation with Insulin Resistance in PCOS Obese woman of Reproductive age Group. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018; 11(6): 2217-2219.
29. Gupta RC. Carbofuran toxicity. Journal of Toxicology. 1994; 43: 383-418.
30. Sharma RK, Singh P, Setia A, Sharma AK. Insecticides and Ovarian Functions: Review. Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis. 2020; 61: 369-392.
31. Widowati W, Safitri R, Rumumpuk R, Siahaan M. Screening of Superoxide Dismutase Activity in Various Plants. Journal of Public Health. 2005; 5(1): 33-38
32. Luddi A, Capaldo A, Focarelli R, Gori M, Morgante G, Piomboni P, Leo VD. Antioxidants reduce Oxidative Stress in Follicular Fluid of Aged Women Undergoing IVF. Journal of Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology. 2016; 14(1): 1-7.
33. Mustaf SJ, Salih TA, Yasseen HA, Marouf BH, Mohammed AI. Effect of Monosodium Glutamate on Mice Ovaries and The Possible Protective Role of Vitamin C. Annals of Applied Biology. 2015; 2(4): 100-105.
34. Abdollahifar MA, Azad N, Sajadi E, Mofarahe ZS, Zare F, Moradi A, Rezaee F, Gholamin M, Abdi S. Vitamin C Restores Ovarian Follicular in a Mouse Model of Aging. Anatomy & cell biology. 2019; 52: 196-203.
35. Prior RL, Cao G. Antioxidant Phytochemicals in Fruits and Vegetables: Diet and Health Implications. HortScience. 2000; 35(4): 588-592.
36. Puriastuti AC, Maramis MM, Annas JJ. Chronic stress reduces the thickness of the granulosa cell layer of the Antral Follicle Rattus norvegicus. Journal of biomedical practitioners. 2017; 19(3): 268-275.
37. Purnomo E, Luqman EM, Ratnani H, Plumeriastuti H, Mafruchati M, Dhamayanti Y. The Increasing Damage in Tubular Cell of Infant Mice’s Kidneys from Carbofuran Exposure during its Mothers’ Lactation Period. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2020; 12(4): 17-24.
38. Rohmawati H, Sujuti H, Made PD, Setyo HY. The Effect of Extra Virgin Oil on Folliculogenesis and Ovarian Malondialdehyde Levels in Rats Exposed to Rhodamine B. Indonesian Journal of Health Information. 2018; 4(2): 120-127.
39. Sari MP, Winarsih S, Raras TYM, Mintaroem K. Ethanol Extract of Green Tea (Camellia sinensis) Increases Levels of Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH) and Amounts of Antral Follicles in Female Rats Exposed to Sipermethrin. Qanun Medika. 2018; 2(2): 39-47.
40. Sargazi Z, Nikravesh MR, Jalali M, Sadeghnia HR, Anbarkeh FR, Mohammadzadeh L. Diazinon-induced ovarian toxicity and protection by vitamin E. Iranian Journal of Toxicology. 2014; 8(26): 1130-1135.
41. Sembiring B. Darwati I. Identification of the chemical components of Kebar grass (Biophytum petersianum) accession from Papua and Java. The Littro Bulletin. 2014; 25(1): 37-44
42. Ismudiono, Srianto P, Anwar H, Madyawati SP, Samik A, Safitri E. Reproductive Physiology in Animal Textbook. Airlangga University Press. Surabaya. 2010; p. 109-114.
43. Lung JKS, Destiani DP. Antioxidant Activity Test of Vitamins A, C, E using the DPPH method. Farmaka. 2017; 15(1): 53-59.
44. Bhalodiya SJ, Patel BJ, Joshi DV, Raval SH, Patel JG, Zapadia BB, Jagoda MD. Toxicopathology of Induced Carbofuran Toxicity in Wistar Rats (Rattus norvegicus). AGRES. 2014; 3(3):217-230.
45. Hanson AF. Berdoy M. Rats. In: Tynes VV (ed.) Behavior of Exotic Pets. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell. 2010; p. 104 - 116.
46. Kusumawati D. Friendly with Experimental Animals. Gajah Mada University Press. Yogyakarta. 2016; p. 8-10, 49-50.
47. McNeilly AS. Neuroendocrine Changes and Fertility in Breast-Feeding Women. Prog Brain Res. 2001; 133(14): 207-214.
48. Kaushik S, Satapathy T, Roy A, Gupta PP, Purabiya P. Endocannabinoid activation and polycystic ovary syndrome: A systematic review. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(1):448-452. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00087.6
49. Maheshwari H, Satyaningtijas AS, Harlina E, Cahyaningsih U, Effendi M, Mustofa MA, Bekalani YK. The Role of Fennel Infusion on Estrous Cycle and Follicles Development of White Rats. Indonesian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2016; 14(1): 19-25.
50. Nurjanah, Widiyaningrum P. Development of the ovaries of mice exposed to x-ray radiation. Journal of Natural Science Mathematics. 2016; 39(2): 85-91.
51. Agarwal A, Mellado AA, Premkumar BJ, Shaman A, Gupta S. The Effects of Oxidative Stres on Female Reproduction: a Review. Journal of Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology. 2012; 10: 1-31.
52. Ramadhani SA., Supriatna I, Karja NWK,. Winarto A. Ovarian Folliculogenesis Control by Giving Cotton Seed Extract. Journal of Veterinary Science. 2017; 35(1): 71-80.
53. Revathi R, Julius A. A Biological Effect of Sex Hormone Binding Globulin and Testosterone in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Obese Women. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2017; 10(7): 2143-2145.
54. Bhardwaj, J.K. and P. Saraf. Granulosa Cell Apoptosis by Impairing Antioxidant Defense System and Cellular Integrity in Caprine Antral Follicles Post Malathion Exposure. Environ Toxicol. 2016; 31(12): 1944-1954.
55. Sajid H. Guzar, Enaas S. Jawad, Mohammed A. Altahan, Nabaa N. Hameed. The Effects of Trace Element levels on Polycystic Ovary Syndrome in human female Sat Thi-Qar governorate/Iraq. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019; 12(9):4447-4453.
56. Riyadi, Humaidah N, Kalsum U. Effect of Different Doses of Kebar Grass Flour (Biophytum petersianum) on Reproduction Performance of Local Female Rabbits. Journal of Animal Husbandry Renewal. 2019; 2(1): 160-163.