Nagham K. Kareem, Mohammed Z. Thani, Khalid F.Al-Rawi
Nagham K. Kareem1, Mohammed Z. Thani2, Khalid F.Al-Rawi3
1Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, College of Pharmacy, University of Anbar, Ramadi. Iraq.
2Department of Chemistry, College of Science, University of Mustansiriyah, Baghdad, Iraq.
3Department of Chemistry, College of Science, University of Anbar, Ramadi, Iraq.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2022
In this study, ion pair reactions used for evaluation of phenylephrine HCl the development of simple, accurate, low-cost, and fast extraction methods for the separation of phenylephrine HCl was described. The first method was used was the direct extraction that included the reaction PHE with Alizarin yellow reagent to produce yellow complex in the acidic medium (pH=4). The absorbance of this complex was 430nm. The concentration range (1-20µg.mL-1), the Beers law was obeyed with correlation coefficient (R2=0.997), limit of detection as (0.34µg.mL-1), limit of quantification as (1.12µg.mL-1) and molar absorptivity as (14459.9). The second method was dispersive liquid liquid microextraction (DLLME). This method was used to estimation PHE complex by utilizing UV-Vis spectrophotometer. The linearity of calibration curve above was the range between (0.5-13 µg.mL-1), the correlation coefficient (R2=0.996) and molar absorptivity was (12423.3), the detection limit (LOD) and quantification limit (LOQ) were (0.094µg.mL-1) and (0.31µg.mL-1), respectively. This process was successfully method to detect PHE in both pure and pharmaceutical formulations.
Cite this article:
Nagham K. Kareem, Mohammed Z. Thani, Khalid F.Al-Rawi. New approach for determination of Phenylephrine HCl in Pure and Pharmaceutical Formulation using a various Microextraction Methods. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(4):1648-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00275
Nagham K. Kareem, Mohammed Z. Thani, Khalid F.Al-Rawi. New approach for determination of Phenylephrine HCl in Pure and Pharmaceutical Formulation using a various Microextraction Methods. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(4):1648-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00275 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-4-41
1. Sasikala M, Priyanka P, Vinod Kumar T, Venkateshwarlu G. Spectrophotometric estimation of drugs using N-bromo succinamide and Indigo Caramine couple. Orient J Chem. 2016; 32(1):617-625. doi:10.13005/ojc/320170
2. Yagmur S, Ture M, Saglikoglu G, Sadikoglu M, Yilmaz S. The Quantitative Detection of Phenylephrine in Pharmaceutical Preparations and Spiked Human Urine by Voltammetry. Russ J Electrochem. 2018;54(10):741-746. doi:10.1134/S1023193518100063
3. Kalyankar TM, Wadher SJ, Bodhankar MR, Sayed MF. Stability Indicating Simultaneous Estimation of Phenylephrine HCl and Bromhexine HCl in Combined tablet dosage form by UV-Spectrophotometer. Res J Pharm Technol. 2021; 14(6):3128-3132.
4. Humeidy I. Determination of Trifluoperazine hydrochloride in pharmaceutical preparations using Spectrophotometric method. J Garmian Univ. 2017; 4(ICBS Conference):463-473. doi:10.24271/garmian.156
5. Srividya K, Balasubramanian N. Indirect spectrophotometric determination of thiamine in pharmaceutical preparations. Chem Pharm Bull. 1997; 45(12):2100-2103. doi:10.1248/cpb.45.2100
6. T. M. K, Wadher SJ, Bodhankar MR, Sayed MF. Manoranjan Sabat, Sharada Nalla, Venkateswarlu Goli, Sravan Prasad Macherla, Praveena Kumari Matta, Madhu Chandaka S. A New Analytical Method Development and Validation for Estimation of Ciprofloxacin in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Dosage Form. Asian J. Phar. Res J Pharm Technol. 2021; 14(June):3128-3132. doi:10.52711/0974-360x.2021.00545
7. Sabat M, Nalla S, Goli V, Macherla SP, Matta PK, Chandaka SM. A new analytical method development and validation for estimation of Ciprofloxacin in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form. Asian J Pharm Anal. 2012; 2(4):116-117.
8. Mirzajani R, Kardani F. Fabrication of ciprofloxacin molecular imprinted polymer coating on a stainless steel wire as a selective solid-phase microextraction fiber for sensitive determination of fluoroquinolones in biological fluids and tablet formulation using HPLC-UV detection. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2016; 122:98-109. doi:10.1016/j.jpba.2016.01.046
9. Chougule DD, Naikwade NS. Development and validation of high performance liquid chromatographic method for estimation of deflazacort in pharmaceutical formulation. Asian J Res Chem. 2011; 4(1):140-142.
10. Kalambate PK, Srivastava AK. Simultaneous voltammetric determination of paracetamol, cetirizine and phenylephrine using a multiwalled carbon nanotube-platinum nanoparticles nanocomposite modified carbon paste electrode. Sensors Actuators B Chem. 2016; 233:237-248.
11. H. Hasan S, S. Othman N, M. Surchi K. Determination of Phenylephrine-HCl Using Conductometric Titration Method. Curr Anal Chem. 2015; 12(4):330-334. doi:10.2174/1573412912666151126205443
12. Bahrami G, Mohammadi B, Mirzaeei S, Kiani A. Determination of atorvastatin in human serum by reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography with UV detection. J Chromatogr B Anal Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2005; 826(1-2):41-45. doi:10.1016/j.jchromb.2005.08.008
13. Metochlopramide U, Reagent C. Batch and Flow-Injection Spectrophotometric Determination of Methylyldopa. 2013; (March).
14. Felipe MAA. Offline machine learning-based concurrent and rapid determination of acetaminophen, dextromethorphan, guaifenesin, and phenylephrine using UV-vis spectroscopy. Published online 2021.
15. Alteemi HS, Kadim KH. Colorimetric Determination of Phenylephrine hydrochloride Drug by Diazotization Reaction. In: Journal of Physics: Conference Series. Vol 1664. IOP Publishing; 2020:12097.
16. Kadam T V, Darekar AB, Gondkar SB, Saudagar RB. Development and validation of spectrophotometric method for determination of azelaic acid. Asian J Res Pharm Sci. 2015; 5(2):83-85.
17. Xue L, Chen L, Dong J, Cai L, Wang Y, Chen X. Dispersive liquid-liquid microextraction coupled with surface enhanced Raman scattering for the rapid detection of sodium benzoate. Talanta. 2020; 208(September 2019):120360. doi:10.1016/j.talanta.2019.120360
18. Mashayekhi HA, Abroomand-Azar P, Saber-Tehrani M, Husain SW. Rapid determination of carbamazepine in human urine, plasma samples and water using DLLME followed by RP-LC. Chromatographia. 2010; 71(5-6):517-521. doi:10.1365/s10337-009-1456-6
19. Kraševec I, Prosen H. Development of a dispersive liquid-liquid microextraction followed by LC-MS/MS for determination of benzotriazoles in environmental waters. Acta Chim Slov. 2019;66(1):247-254. doi:10.17344/acsi.2018.4914
20. Quigley A, Cummins W, Connolly D. Dispersive liquid-liquid microextraction in the analysis of milk and dairy products: A review. J Chem. 2016; 2016. doi:10.1155/2016/4040165
21. Hegazy M, Al-ghobashy M, Eltanany B. Purity Indicating TLC Method for Quantitative Determination of Phenylephrine and Dimethindine Maleate in Presence of Dimethindine Maleate Impurity: 2-ethyl pyridine in Nasal Gel. J Pharm Res. 2016; 1(1). doi:10.33140/jpr/01/01/00004
22. Raju GVH, Ganapathy S, Sankar DG, Naidu PY. RP-HPLC Determination of Levetiracetam in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Formulation. Asian J Res Chem. 2009; 2(3):253-257.
23. Pourghobadi Z, Niazi A. Voltammetric study and determination of phenylephrine hydrochloride at INP-nafion-modified CPE sensor employing differential pulse voltammetry. Orient J Chem. 2014;30(1):219-227. doi:10.13005/ojc/300126
24. Sharma JB, Bhatt S, Saini V, Kumar M. Development and Validation of UV-Visible Spectrophotometric method for the Estimation of Curcumin and Tetrahydrocurcumin in Simulated Intestinal Fluid. Res J Pharm Technol. 2021; 14(6):2971-2975.
25. Al-Abachi MQ, Subhi S. Flow injection-Spectrophotometric Determination of Phenylephrine Hydrochloride and Amoxicillin Trihydrate in Pharmaceutical Preparations. J Al-Nahrain Univ Sci. 2013;16(1):42-52. doi:10.22401/jnus.16.1.07
26. Wadher SJ, Kalyankar TM, Panchal PP. Development and validation of simultaneous estimation of chlorpheniramine maleate and phenylephrine hydrochloride in bulk and capsule dosage form by ultra-violet spectrophotometry. Int J ChemTech Res. 2013; 5(5):2410-2419.
27. Anandakumar K, Veerasundari P. Simultaneous Estimation of Paracetamol, Ambroxol Hydrochloride, Levocetirizine Dihydrochloride, and Phenylephrine Hydrochloride in Combined Tablet Formulation by First-Order Derivative Spectrophotometry. ISRN Spectrosc. 2014; 2014:1-8. doi:10.1155/2014/248960
28. Balloul G, Boyko NN, Zhilyakova ET, Doba S. Development and validation of an analytical method for the determination of ofloxacin and benzyl alcohol in a pharmaceutical mixture. Res J Pharm Technol. 2021; 14(4):2133-2138. doi:10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00378
29. Chudiwal SS, Dehghan MHG. Development and validation of spectrophotometric method for budesonide estimation in nasal spray formulations. Indian Drugs. 2016; 53(7):42-45.