Shreya Ramteke, Naresh Haigune, Sachin More, Shilpa Pise, Ajay Pise, Rohini Kharwade
Shreya Ramteke1, Naresh Haigune1, Sachin More2, Shilpa Pise3, Ajay Pise4, Rohini Kharwade5*
1B.Pharm. Final Year Student, Dadasaheb Balpande College of Pharmacy, Besa, Nagpur, Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj, Nagpur, University, Nagpur, (MS), India.
2Asst. Professor, Pharmacology Department, Dadasaheb Balpande College of Pharmacy, Besa, Nagpur, Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj, Nagpur University, Nagpur, (MS), India.
3Asst. Professor, Regulatory Affair Department, Dadasaheb Balpande College of Pharmacy, Besa, Nagpur, Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj, Nagpur University, Nagpur, (MS), India.
4Professor, Quality Assurance Department, Dadasaheb Balpande College of Pharmacy, Besa, Nagpur, Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj, Nagpur University, Nagpur, (MS), India.
5Asst. Professor, Pharmaceutic Department, Dadasaheb Balpande College of Pharmacy, Besa, Nagpur, Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj, Nagpur University, Nagpur, (MS), India.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2022
Natural polymer-based plant polysaccharides and proteins have been most widely explored as an adjuvant in the dosage form formulation. Here we design a novel gastro-retentive floating tablet, based on a polysaccharide material from Flaxseed (Linum usitatissimum L.) for Domperidone. After oral administration; Domperidone showed good solubility in acidic pH but significantly reduced solubility in alkaline medium. So that to increase the absorption and bioavailability of Domperidone, it is necessary to increase the retention time in the upper part of the Gastrointestinal tract (GIT) by developing a floating sustained drug delivery system. The directly compressible floating tablets of domperidone were formulated using varying amount of hydroxypropyl methylcellulose K 100 M (HPMC K100 M), Carbopol 934 and Flaxseed mucilage. Hardness, friability, weight variation, thickness, disintegration time of tablet formulations were within acceptable limits. The overall results explained that the optimized formulation F5 prepared by the exact ratio of Flaxseed mucilage, HPMC K100 M, Carbopol, could be more efficient on floating and sustained release of Domperidone in the upper part of GIT as compared to the tablets prepared by using HPMC K100 M and Carbopol 934 only. These findings indicated that Flaxseed can be used to develop novel gastro-retentive sustained release drug delivery system with the double advantage of sustained drug release at the upper part of GIT.
Cite this article:
Shreya Ramteke, Naresh Haigune, Sachin More, Shilpa Pise, Ajay Pise, Rohini Kharwade. Flaxseed Mucilage Hydrogel based Floating Drug Delivery System: Design and Evaluation. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(4):1549-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00258
Shreya Ramteke, Naresh Haigune, Sachin More, Shilpa Pise, Ajay Pise, Rohini Kharwade. Flaxseed Mucilage Hydrogel based Floating Drug Delivery System: Design and Evaluation. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(4):1549-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00258 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-4-24
1. Abuhelwa AY, Williams DB, Upton RN, Foster DJR. Food, gastrointestinal pH, and models of oral drug absorption. Eur J Pharm Biopharm [Internet]. 2017; 112: 234–48. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ejpb.2016.11.034
2. Davies P, Prowle M. Domperidone. Br Med J. 1985;290(19):241–2.
3. Kharwade RS, Mahajan UN. Enhancement of dissolution and bioavailability of Ezetimibe by spray dried microparicles using HP- β - Cyclodextrin Polymer. 2017;8(8):3293–301.
4. Rouge N, Leroux JH, Cole ET, Doelker E, Buri P. Prevention of the sticking tendency of buoyant minitablets filled into hard gelatine capsules. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 1997; 43:165-71.
5. Lee JH, Park TG, Choi HK. Development of oral drug delivery system using floating microspheres. J Microencapsul 1999; 16: 715-29.
6. Hilton AK, Deasy PB. Invitro and invivo evaluation of an oral sustained‐release floating dosage form of amoxicillin trihydrate. Int J Pharm .1992; 86: 79‐88.
7. Chavanpatil M, Jain S, Chaudari S, Shear R, Vavia P. Development of sustained release gastro-retentive drug delivery system for Ofloxacin: Invitro and invivo evaluation. Int J Pharm. 2005; 304: 178‐84.
8. Khullar P, Khar RK, Agrawal SP. Evaluation of hydrogel-based controlled- release niacin tablets. Drug Dev. Ind. Pharm. 1998; 24 (5): 479–83.
9. Robinson JR, Erikson SP. Theoretical formulation of sustained-release dosage forms. J. Pharm Sci. 1966; 55(11): 1254-63.
10. Pawar VK, Kansal S, Garg G, Awasthi R, Singodia D, Kulkarni GT. Gastroretentive dosage forms: A review with special emphasis on floating drug delivery systems. Drug Deliv. 2011;18(2): 97–110.
11. Pandit A, Shikshan J, Mandal P. Study of disintegration properties of mucilage from Linum. 2018; (September).
12. Sajid KS, Kamran AC, Rooh U. Formulation development and evaluation of domperidone sustained release matrix tablets by two different methods using guar gum as a sustaining agent. World App Sci J. 2013; 25 (12): 1704-12.
13. Khan MA, Saeed M, Badshah A, Muhammad N, Khan J, Khan FA, et al. Design, formulation, optimization and evaluation of sustained-release tablets of domperidone. Afr J Pharm Pharmacol 2011; 5(16): 1882-7.
14. Baumgartner S, Kristel J, Vreer F, Vodopivec P, Zorko B. Optimization of floating matrix tablets and evaluation of their gastric residence time. Int J Pharm. 2000; 195: 125- 35.
15. Ziolkovska A. Laws of flaxseed mucilage extraction. Food Hydrocoll [Internet]. 2012; 26(1): 197–204. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2011.04.022
16. Kishk YF. Optimization of flaxseed mucilage extraction and its functional characteristics. Ann Agric Sci Moshtohor. 2018;(November 2004).
17. Sheikh FA, Hussain MA, Ashraf MU, Haseeb MT, Farid-ul-Haq M. Linseed hydrogel-based floating drug delivery system for fluoroquinolone antibiotics: Design, in vitro drug release and in vivo real-time floating detection. Saudi Pharm J [Internet]. 2020;28(5):538–49. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsps.2020.03.005
18. Kharwade RS, Vyavhare NS, More SM. Formulation of mucoadhesive tablet by using Aegle Marmelos. Int J Appl Biol Pharm Technol. 2011; 2(1): 154–61.
19. Shunmuga VJ, Lakshmanan P, Basker RD. Formulation development and characterization of Hibiscus rosa-sinesis dry leaves mucilage as a smart polymer for pharmaceutical use. Int J App Rea Nat Pro. 2015; 8 (2):28-36.
20. Srivastava P, Malviya R. Extraction, Characterization and Evaluation of Orange Peel Waste Derived Pectin as a Pharmaceutical Excipient. Nat Prod J. 2011; 1(1): 65–70.
21. Kharwade RS, More SM, Mahajan UN. Formulation and evaluation of gastroretentive floating tablet using Hibiscus rosa-sinensis mucilage. Asian J Pharm Clin Res. 2017;10(3): 444–8.
22. Dey S, Dutta S, Mazumder B. Formulation and evaluation of floating matrix tablet of atenolol for gastro-retentive drug delivery. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci. 2012; 4(3): 433-7.
23. Sawjanya K, Shobha Deepthi K, Bharathi A. Formulation and evaluation of gastro-retentive floating matrix tablets of Nevirapine. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci. 2012; 4(5): 368-75.
24. Upadhyay P, Upadhyay S. Evaluation of drug release kinetics from ibuprofen matrix tablets using HPMC. J Appl Pharm Sci. 2011; 1(6): 186–90.
25. Higuchi HT. Mechanism of sustained action medication. Theoretical analysis of the rate of release of solid drugs dispersed in solid matrices. J Pharm Sci. 1963; 52: 1145-9.
26. Peppas NA, Sahlin JJ. A, A simple equation for description of solute release. III. Coupling of diffusion and relaxation. Int. J. Pharm., 1989; 57: 169–71.