Geetha Paramasivam, Dhanya Manikandan, Sankaralingam Subbiah, Sugapriya Menaga Paulraj, Vasthi Gnana Rani, Mahendran Shunmugiah, Balasundaram Harinathan
Geetha Paramasivam1,2*, Dhanya Manikandan1, Sankaralingam Subbiah2, Sugapriya Menaga Paulraj1, Vasthi Gnana Rani3, Mahendran Shunmugiah4, Balasundaram Harinathan2,5
1PG Department of Biotechnology, Ayya Nadar Janaki Ammal College, Sivakasi.
2PG and Research Department of Botany, Saraswathi Narayanan College, Madurai.
3Department of Chemistry, SRM University, Chennai.
4Department of Microbiology, Ayya Nadar Janaki Ammal College, Sivakasi.
5PG and Research Department of Microbiology, V.H.N. Senthikumara Nadar College, Virudhunagar.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2022
The main objective of extracting natural dyes from natural sources is to avoid the environmental pollution. The flower of Tagetes erecta is used for the extraction of dye using alkaline extraction method. There are four different mordants (CuSo4, FeSo4, NaCl, K2Cr2O7) are used in cotton and polyester fabric by simultaneous mordanting method. The dye fixation is carried out at room temperature and also at 100°C. The result revealed that, different shades of yellow, brown and green were obtained from the dye when subjected to mordant. The dye at 100°C showed dark colours and excellent fastness properties when compared to dye fixed at room temperature. The dye extract of Tagetes erecta had a great antimicrobial activity against pathogenic strains of bacteria and fungi and the FT-IR was carried out to identify compounds.
Cite this article:
Geetha Paramasivam, Dhanya Manikandan, Sankaralingam Subbiah, Sugapriya Menaga Paulraj, Vasthi Gnana Rani, Mahendran Shunmugiah, Balasundaram Harinathan. Extraction and Applications of Natural dye from the flower of Tagetes erecta.L in different Fabrics and Focus on Antimicrobial activity. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(3):1287-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00215
Geetha Paramasivam, Dhanya Manikandan, Sankaralingam Subbiah, Sugapriya Menaga Paulraj, Vasthi Gnana Rani, Mahendran Shunmugiah, Balasundaram Harinathan. Extraction and Applications of Natural dye from the flower of Tagetes erecta.L in different Fabrics and Focus on Antimicrobial activity. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(3):1287-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00215 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-3-58
1. Samanta AK, Konar A. Dyeing of Textiles with natural dyes. Natural Dyes. 2011; 4(3): 30-56.
2. Shetty LJ, Sakr FM, Al-Obaidy K, Patel MJ, Shareef H. A brief review on medicinal plant Tagetes erecta Linn. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science. 2015; 5(3): 091-095.
3. Shetty LJ, Harikiran H, Fernandes J. Pharmacological evaluation of ethanolic extract of flowers of Tagetes erecta on epilepsy. Journal of Pharmacy Research. 2009; 2(6): 1035-1038.
4. Senthilkumar P, Umashankar P, Sujatha, B. Ultrasonic dyeing of cotton fabrics with neem leaves. Indian Textile Journal. 2002; 112(6):15-18.
5. Elumalai A, Eswaraiah MC, Kasarla R, Ravi P. An Alternative to Synthetic Acid Base Indicator-Tagetes erecta Linn. 2012; 5(2):218-220.
6. Patil DB, Patil KN, Gaikwad PV, Patil PJ, Shewale UL, Bhamburdekar SB. Extraction of natural dye from rose flower for dyeing cotton fabrics. International Journal for Innovative Research in Multidisciplinary Field. 2016; 2(8): 135-137.
7. Geetha B, Sumathy VJH. Extraction of Natural Dyes from Plants. Int. J. Chem. Pharm Sci. 2013; 1(8): 502-509.
8. Saravanan P, Chandramohan G, Saivaraj S, Deepa D. Extraction and application of eco-friendly natural dye obtained frombarks of Odinawodier L on cotton fabric. J. Nat. Prod. Plant Resour. 2013; 3(2):80-85.
9. Tripathi G, Yadav MK, Upadhyay P, Mishra S. Natural dyes with future aspects in dyeing of Textiles: A research article. Int. J. Pharma Tech. Res. 2015; 8(1): 96-100.
10. Ahamed T, Rahman SKM, Shohael AM. 2017.Thin layer chromatographic profiling and phytochemical screening of six medicinal plants in Bangladesh. International Journal of Biosciences. 2017; 11(1)131-140.
11. Aglawe S, Gayke A, Murade P, Swami P, Game P, Kadam P, Kanawade S, Garud Y. Different methods of extraction for Red Dye from Capsicum annuum. Research J. Science and Tech. 2019; 11(4):281-286.
12. Nasrullah S, Rahman K, Ikram M, Nisar M, Khan I. Screening of antibacterial activity of medicinal plants. Int. J. Pharm. Sci. Rev. Res. 2012; 14(2): 25-29.
13. Mathur A, Singh R, Yousuf S, Bhardwaj A, Verma S.K, Babu P, Dua VK. Antifungal activity of some plant extracts against clinical pathogens. Adv. Appl. Sci. Res. 2011; 2(2): 260-4.
14. Paramasivam G, Kannan R, Paulraj SM, Subbiah S, Pandiarajan J. Antimicrobial, antioxidant and anticancer activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized from Boerhaavia diffusa linn. European Journal of Pharmaceutical and Medical Research. 2017; 4(11): 323-331.
15. Ravi D, Lekshmi DRB, Vijayabharathi V, Parthasarathy R. Study on Antideterioration Properties from selected Plant Based Dyes. Asian J. Research Chem. 2015; 8(3): 205-212.
16. Moses JJ, Venkataraman VK. Study of Dyeing, Absorbency, Mechanical and Surface Properties on Chemical Treated Cotton Fabric. Asian J. Research Chem. 2015; 8(11): 664-674.
17. Punrattanasin N, Nakpathom M, Somboon B, Narumol N, Rungruangkitkrai N, Mongkholrattanasit R.. Silk fabric dyeing with natural dye from mangrove bark (Rhizophora apiculata Blume) extract. Industrial Crops and Products. 2013; 49: 122-129.
18. Chandra MS, Thiripura S, Senthil KR, Thiyagarajan A. Dyeing of Cotton with Natural Dye Obtained from Flower of Tecoma stans. Universal Journal of Environmental Research & Technology. 2012; 2(1).
19. Saravanan P, Chandramohan G, Saivaraj S. A Study on the Eco-Friendly Natural Dye Extracted from Flowers of Landana camara L on Silk and Wool fabrics. Asian J. Research Chem. 2012; 5(3): 418-421.
20. Bhatti IA, Adeel S, Jamal A, Safdar M, Abbas M. Influence of gamma radiation on the colour strength and fastness properties of fabric using turmeric (Curcuma longa L.) as natural dye. Radiat Phys Chem. 2010; 79(5): 622-625.
21. Baishya D, Talukdar J, Sandhya S. Cotton Dying with Natural Dye Extracted from Flower of Bottlebrush (Callistemon citrinus). Universal Journal of Environmental Research and Technology. 2012; 2(5): 377-382.
22. Jothi D. Extraction of Natural Dyes from African Marigold Flower (Tagates erecta) for Textile Coloration. AUTEX Journal. 2008; 8(2): 49-53.
23. Kumaresan M, Palanisamy PN, Kumar PE. Application of ecofriendly natural dye on silk using combination of mordants. International Journal of Chemistry Research. 2011; 11-14.
24. Sivajiganesan S. Eco-Friendly Natural Dye from Bark of Acacia leucophloea for Dyeing of Cotton Fabric using Different Temperature and Mordant. Asian J. Research Chem. 2017; 10(1):1-5.
25. Nandagopal S, Kumari BR. Phytochemical and antibacterial studies of Chicory (Cichorium intybus L.)-A multipurpose medicinal plant. Advances in Biological Research. 2007; 1(1-2): 17-21.
26. Itodo SE, Oyero SK, Umeh E, Ben A, Etubi MD. Phytochemical Properties and Staining Ability of Red Onion (Allium cepa) extract on histological sections. Journal of Cytology & Histology. 2014; 5(6): pp 1.
27. Sangeetha J, Gayathri S, Rajeshkumar S. Antimicrobial assessment of marine brown algae Sargassum whitti against UTI pathogens and its phytochemical analysis. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10(6): 1905-1910.
28. Shinde N, Saindane RA, Bhosale SK, Deshpande S. In Vitro Antioxidant Activity of Ethanolic and Chloroform Extracts of Tagetes erecta Flowers. Research J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2010; 2(4): 324-326.
29. Sharma M, Abid R, Sajgotra M. Phytochemical screening and thin layer chromatography of Ficus carica leaves extract. UK J. Pharm Biosci. 2017; 5(1): 18-23.
30. Veerabhuvaneshwari V, Shalini BM, Sadhasivama B, Nachimuthu S. Extraction of dye from Ixora coccinea and Beta vulgaris for Eco-dyeing. Research J. Engineering and Tech. 2017; 8(4): 378-382.
31. Aglawe S, Gayke A, Murade P, Swami P, Game P, Kadam P, Kanawade S, Garud Y. Different methods of extraction for Red Dye from Capsicum annuum. Research J. Science and Tech. 2019; 11(4):281-286.
32. Mirjalili M, Karimi L. Antibacterial dyeing of polyamide using turmeric as a natural dye. Autex Research Journal. 2013; 13(2): 51-56.
33. Sheela S.T, Gurunath D.S, Swapnali A M., Kumar RR C., Ramling D M. Comparative Study of Antibacterial Activity of Tamarindus indica and Tagetes erecta. Res. J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochem. 2019; 11(3):186-188.
34. Pal A, Kumar R, Upadhyay L, Tripathi Y. Antifungal Activity of Natural Dye from Aerial Biomass of Barleria prionitis L and Dyed Fabrics. Iranian Journal of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering (IJCCE). 2018; 37(1): 213-221.
35. Altameme HJ, Hameed IH, Abu-Serag NA. Analysis of bioactive phytochemical compounds of two medicinal plants, Equisetum arvense and Alchemila valgaris seed using gas chromatographymass spectrometry and fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy. Malays. Appl. Biol. 2015; 44(4): 47-58.