Suhailah Hayaza, Win Darmanto, Sri Puji Astuti Wahyuningsih, Raden Joko Kuncoroningrat Susilo, Saikhu Akhmad Husen, Dwi Winarni, Ruey-an Doong
Suhailah Hayaza1, Win Darmanto1*, Sri Puji Astuti Wahyuningsih1, Raden Joko Kuncoroningrat Susilo1, Saikhu Akhmad Husen1, Dwi Winarni1, Ruey-an Doong1,2
1Department of Biology, Faculty of Science and Technology, Universitas Airlangga, Kampus C Universitas Airlangga, Surabaya 60115, Indonesia.
2Institute of Analytical and Environmental Sciences, National Tsing Hua University, Sec. 2 Kuang Fu Road, Hsinchu 30013, Taiwan.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2022
Okra (Abelmoschus esculentus L.) was commonly found in tropical and sub-tropical country. It contains high level of polyssacharide and secondary metabolites. Hence, no in vivo studies have explored okra’s ability as immunomodulatory agent toward hepatocarcinogenic condition. This study aims to evaluate the effect of okra raw polysaccharide extract (ORPE) on cytokine levels and cell apoptosis and necrosis of mice with hepatocarcinogenic condition induced by diethylnitrosamine (DEN). A total of 36 adult male mice (BALB/C) were acclimatized for 14 days and were randomly divided into six groups: the normal control group without any treatment (CN), negative control induced by DEN with no ORPE administration (C-), positive control induced by DEN with 10mg/kg BB doxorubicin administration (C+), and ORPE treatment of dose 50mg/kg BW (P1), 100mg/kg BW (P2) and 200mg/kg BW (P3) which previously have been injected with DEN. The level of interferon-gamma (IFN-?) and tumor necrosis factor-a (TNF-a) were measured using the ELISA method. The percentage of apoptosis and necrosis were analyzed using flow cytometry. The administration of ORPE significantly increased the level of TNF-a in DEN-induced liver cancer mice. While it did not cause significant changes in the percentage of apoptosis in mice hepatocytes. These results suggest that ORPE has an immunomodulatory effect on the cytokine of hepatocarcinogenic mice which can be used as a cancer therapy in nutraceutical and pharmaceutical industries.
Cite this article:
Suhailah Hayaza, Win Darmanto, Sri Puji Astuti Wahyuningsih, Raden Joko Kuncoroningrat Susilo, Saikhu Akhmad Husen, Dwi Winarni, Ruey-an Doong. Immunomodulatory Activity of Okra Raw Polysaccharide Extract by Regulating TNF-A, IFN-G Levels, and Cell Apoptosis in DEN-induced mice. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(2):546-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00088
Suhailah Hayaza, Win Darmanto, Sri Puji Astuti Wahyuningsih, Raden Joko Kuncoroningrat Susilo, Saikhu Akhmad Husen, Dwi Winarni, Ruey-an Doong. Immunomodulatory Activity of Okra Raw Polysaccharide Extract by Regulating TNF-A, IFN-G Levels, and Cell Apoptosis in DEN-induced mice. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(2):546-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00088 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-2-8
1. Hayaza S, Wahyuningsih SPA, Susilo RJK, Permanasari AA, Husen SA, Winarni D, Punnapayak H, Darmanto W. Anticancer activity of okra raw polysaccharides extracts against human liver cancer cells. Trop J Pharm Res. 2019; 18(8): 1667- 1672.Gaur R. Azizi M. Gan J. Hansal P. and. Harper K. Editors. British Pharmacopoeia. London: Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA). 1988; pp. 49, 903.
2. Yogita R Mandlik. Immunotherapy, A type of Cancer Treatment. Res. J. Pharma. Dosage Forms and Tech.2020; 12(4):282-284.
3. Zhang F, Shi JJ, Thakur K, Hu F, Zhang JG, Wei ZJ. Anticancerous potential of polysaccharide fractions extracted from peony seed dreg on various human cancer cell lines via cell cycle arrest and apoptosis. Frontiers in Pharmacology. 2017; 8(102): 1-13.
4. Deka G, Pkm N, Redhwan MAM, Varghese MM. IFNγ: Signalling, Epigenetics and Roles in Immunity, Metabolism, Disease and Cancer Immunotherapy. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(8):4028-4032.
5. Young HA, Hodge DL. Interferon-γ. Encyclopedia of Hormones. 2003; Dec: 391-397.
6. Van Horssen R, Ten Hagen TL, Eggermont AM. TNF-alpha in cancer treatment: molecular insights, antitumor effects, and clinical utility. Oncologist. 2006; 11(4): 397-408.
7. Chen H, Jiao H, Cheng Y, Xu K, Jia X, Shi Q, Guo S, Wang M, Du L, Wang F. In vitro and in vivo immunomodulatory activity of okra (Abelmoschus esculentus L.) polysaccharides. Journal of Medicinal Food. 2016; 19(3): 253–265.
8. Yamin, Ruslin, Mistriyani, La Ode Muhammad Fitrawan, Sabarudin, Muhammad Arba. Free Radical Scavenging Activity of extract and fraction of Okra seeds determined by DPPH (2,2-diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazy) method. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(4):2045-8.
9. Saikhu A. Husen, Sri P. A. Wahyuningsih, Arif N. M. Ansori, Suhailah Hayaza, Raden J. K. Susilo, Dwi Winarni, Hunsa Punnapayak, Win Darmanto. Antioxidant Potency of Okra (Abelmoschus esculentus Moench) Pods Extract on SOD Level and Tissue Glucose Tolerance in Diabetic Mice. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(12): 5683-5688.
10. Shui G, Peng LL. An improved method for the analysis of major antioxidants of Hibiscus esculentus Linn. Journal of Chromatography A. 2004; 1048(1): 17-24.
11. Wahyuningsih SPA, Atika BND, Sajidah ES, Winarni D. Nephroprotective Activity of Okra Pods Extract (Abelmoschus esculentus L.) in Sodium Nitrite-Induced Mice. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(8):3648-3652.
12. Husen SA, Setyawan MF, Syadzha MF, Susilo RJK, Hayaza S, Ansori ANM, Alamsjah MA, Ilmi ZN, Wulandari PAC, Pudjiastuti P, Awang K, Winarni D. A Novel Therapeutic effects of Sargassum ilicifolium Alginate and Okra (Abelmoschus esculentus) Pods extracts on Open wound healing process in Diabetic Mice. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(6): 2764-2770.
13. Wahyuningsih SPA, Pramudya M, Putri IP, Winarni D, Savira NII, Darmanto W. Crude polysaccharides from okra pods (Abelmoschus esculentus) grown in Indonesia enhance the immune response due to bacterial infection. Adv Pharmacol Sci. 2018; Article ID 8505383.
14. Hayaza S, Wahyuningsih SPA, Susilo RJK, Husen SA, Winarni D, Doong RA, Darmanto W. Dual role of immunomodulation by crude polysaccharide from okra against carcinogenic liver injury in mice. Heliyon. 2021; 7(2):e06183.
15. Tolba R, Kraus T, Liedtke C, Schwarz M, Weiskirchen R. Diethylnitrosamine (DEN)-induced carcinogenic liver injury in mice. Lab Anim. 2015; 49(S1): 59-69.
16. Purnamasari R, Winarni D, Permanasari AA, Agustina E, Hayaza S, Darmanto W. Anticancer activity of methanol extract of Ficus carica leaves and fruits against proliferation, apoptosis,and necrosis in Huh7it cells. Cancer Informatics. 2019; 18: 1-7.
17. Kang S, Song S, Lee J, Chang H, Lee S. Clinical Investigations of the Effect of Citrus unshiu Peel Pellet on Obesity and Lipid Profile. Evidence-based complementary and alternative medicine. 2018; 4341961.
18. Zhou X, Dong Q, Kan X, Peng L, Xu X, Fang Y, Yang J. Immunomodulatory activity of a novel polysaccharide from Lonicera japonica in immunosuppressed mice induced by cyclophosphamide. PloS one. 2018; 13(10): e0204152.
19. Yudhawan I, Ediati S, Puspitasari I. Immunomodulatory effect of Standardized Polysaccharide Fraction syrup from Noni fruit (Morinda citrifolia) on Cytokines level (IL-2 and IFN-γ) and Its Histological Evaluation in rats Vaccinated with Hepatitis-B. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(2):882-888.
20. Gazzinelli RT, Hieny S, Wynn TA, Wolf S, Sher A. Interleukin 12 is required for the T-lymphocyte-independent induction of interferon gamma by an intracellular parasite and induces resistance in T-cell-deficient hosts. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 1993; 90(13): 6115–6119.
21. Fatma F, Kumar A. The Cell Cycle, Cyclins, Checkpoints and Cancer. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2021; 11(2):175-3.
22. Sushma BK, Raveesha HR. Effect of Elicitors treated callus of Baliospermum montanum (Willd.) Muell. Arg. on cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in HEP-2 and PC-3 cells. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(11):5443-5450.
23. Parveen S, Nadumane VK. A Bioactive Fraction from Turbinaria ornata Inducing Apoptosis via Cell Cycle Arrest. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(9):4263-4268.