Deepika Rani, Vaishali Sharma, Pinki Singh, Ranjit Singh
Deepika Rani*, Vaishali Sharma, Pinki Singh, Ranjit Singh
Adarsh Vijendra Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Shobhit University, Gangoh, Saharanpur (U.P.) India – 247341.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2022
Glycerosomes are novel vesicular drug delivery systems used both for topical as well as systemic drug delivery. These noninvasive carriers can penetrate into the deeper layer of skin to such extent a free drug would not penetrate. Glycerosomes are composed of phospholipids, water and high concentration of glycerol (from 20 to 40%), which are harmless and fully acceptable ingredients for topical preparations. High concentration of glycerol gives positive contributes to the penetration of drug by increasing flexibility of vesicles; italso enhances the stability of vesicles.They have capability to encapsulate both lipophilic and hydrophilicdrugs and protect them from degradation. Now a days glycerosomal carrier are the most interesting area of work for researchers. This review article summarizes the structure, advantages, composition, methods of preparations, characterization and applications of glycerosomes.
Cite this article:
Deepika Rani, Vaishali Sharma, Pinki Singh, Ranjit Singh. Glycerosomes: A Novel Vesicular Drug Delivery System. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(2):921-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00154
Deepika Rani, Vaishali Sharma, Pinki Singh, Ranjit Singh. Glycerosomes: A Novel Vesicular Drug Delivery System. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(2):921-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00154 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-2-74
1. Bhowmik D, Gopinath H, Kumar BP, Duraivel S, Kumar KPS. Recent advances in novel topical drug delivery system. The Pharma Innovation. 2012;1(9):12-31.
2. Abdallah MH. Transferosomes as a transdermal drug delivery system for enhancement the antifungal activity of nystatin. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2013;5(4): 560-567..
3. Walve JR, Bakliwal SR, Rane BR, Pawar SP. Transferosomes: A surrogated carrier for the transdermal drug delivery system. International Journal of Applied Biology and Pharmaceutical Technology. 2011; 2(1): 204-213.
4. Kumar R, Singh M, Bala R, Seth N, Rana AC. Transferosomes: A novel approach for transdermal drug delivery. International Research Journal of Pharmacy 2012;3(1): 20-24.
5. Kumar R, Kumar S, Jha SS, Jha AK. Vesicular System-Carrier for Drug Delivery. Der Pharmacia Sinica. 2011; 2(4):192-202.
6. Srikanth K, Nappinnai M, Gupta VRM. Proniosomes: A novel drug carrier system. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2010; 3: 709-711.
7. Saraf S, Paliwal S,Kaur DC,Saraf S,Sphingosomes novel approach to vesicular drug delivery Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2011; 4:661-666.
8. Kamboj S, Saini V, Magon N, Bala S, Jhawat V. Vesicular drug delivery systems: A novel approach for drug targeting. International Journal of Drug Delivery. 2013;5(2): 121-130.
9. Manca ML, Fadda M, Orsini G. Glycerosomes and thereof use in pharmaceutical and cosmetic preparation for topical applications. EP2010/001428, 2014, May 7.
10. Gupta P, Mazumder R, Padhi S. Glycerosomal advanced liposomal drug delivery systems. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2020; 82(3): 385-397.
11. Zaru M, Manca ML, Fadda M, Orsini G. Glycerosomes and thereof use in pharmaceutical and cosmetic preparation for topical applications. US2012/0141565, 2012, Jun 7.
12. Zang Kai, Zang Yongtai, Li Zhe, Li Nana, Feng Nianping. Essential oil-Mediated glycerosomes increase transdermal paeoniflorin delivery: optimization, characteriation, and evaluation in vitro and in vivo. International Journal of Nanomedicine. 2017;12; 3521-3532.
13. Manca ML, Castangia I, Caddeo C, Pando D, Escribano E, Valenti D, Lampis S, Zaru M, Fadda AM, Manconi M. Improvement of quercetin protective effect against oxidative stress skin damages by incorporation in nanovesicles. Colloids and Surface B: Biointerfaces 2014;123: 566-574.
14. Jabin K, Husain Z, Ahmad M, Kushwaha P. Liposome: Classification, preparation, and applications. World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2018;7(9): 1307-1319.
15. Bhai SA, Yadav V, Mamatha Y, Prasanth VV. Liposomes: An overview. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Scientific Innovation. 2012;1(1): 13-21.
16. Chauhan SB, Gupta V. Recent advances in liposome. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13: 2051-2056. doi:10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00369.8
17. Sankar C, Muthukumar S, Arunkumaran G, Shalini S, Sundaraganapathy R, Sandra joji Samuel.Formulations and characterization of liposomes containing Clindamycin and green tea for Anti Acne. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12: 5977-5984. doi:10.5958/0974-360X.2019.01038.2
18. Kant S, Kumar S, Bharat P. A complete review on: liposomes. International Research Journal of Pharmacy.2013;3(7):10-16.
19. Sharma A, Sharma US. Liposomes in drug delivery: Progress and limitations. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 1997; 154(2): 123-140.
20. Dua JS, Rana AC, Bhandari AK. Liposomes: Method of preparation and applications. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Studies and Research. 2012; 3(2): 14-20.
21. Prathyusha K, Muthukumaran M, Krishnamoorthy B. Liposomes as targeted drug delivery systems present and future prospective: A review. Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics. 2013; 3(4): 195-201.
22. Olson F, Hunt CA, Szoka FC, Vail WJ, Papahadjopoulos D. Preparation of liposomes of defined size distribution by extrusion through polycarbonate membranes. Biochimica Et Biophysica Acta. 1979; 557(1): 9-23.
23. Samad A, Sultana Y, Aqil M. Liposomal Drug Delivery Systems: An Update Review. Current Drug Delivery. 2007;4:297-305.
24. Moon MH, Giddings JC. Size distribution of liposomes by flow field-flow fractionation. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 1993; 11(10):911-920.
25. Jain N.K. Controlled and Novel Drug Delivery. CBS Publisher; 2008.
26. Kersten GF, Cromelin DJ. Liposomes and ISCOMS as vaccine formulation. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta.1995; 1241(2): 117-138.
27. Girhepunje Kundik, Pal R, Upadhayay, Thirumoothy N. Transdermal delivery of ciclopirox olamine via ethosomal and liposomal Carrier. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2011; 4:1207-1211.
28. Shabreen RM, Sangeetha S. Ethosomes: A Novel Drug Delivery System And Their Therapeutic Applications -A Review. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(4): 1970-1978.
29. Katare OP, Vyas SP. Proliposomes of indomethacin for oral administration. Journal of Microencapsulation. 1991;8:1-7.
30. Saha S, Roy A, Bahadur S, Choudhury A. Fabrication and in-vitro evaluation liposomal quercetin and its optimization. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2018; 11: 61-64. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2018.00012.4
31. Padmasree M, Vishwanath BA, Patil S, Mythili S, Kirupakar BR. Formulation characterization and stability study of encapsulated anticancer drug in multilayered PEGylated tumor targeting stealth liposomes. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12: 4689-4689, doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2019.00807.2
32. Kalepu S, KT S, Behta S, Mohanvarma M. Liposomal Drug Delivery System-A Comprehensive review. International Journal of Drug Delivery and Research. 2013:5(4),62-75.
33. Darle DV, Kasliwal NH, Gandhi PP, Yeole DR.Development, characterization and evaluation of niosomes and liposomes of Bacitracin Zinc. Research J. Pharm. and Tech.2010; 3:1295-1300.
34. Mallina SA,Sundararajan R. Diclofenac sodium loaded liposomal for transdermal delivery. Formulation, characterization and pharmacokinetic evaluation. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12: 4051-4062, doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2018.00746.1
35. Rani D, Singh C, Kumar A, Sharma VK. Formulation development and in-vitro evaluation of minoxidil bearing glycerosomes. American Journal of Biomedical Research. 2016; 4(2): 27-37.
36. Ashtiani HRM, Bishe P, Lashgari NA, Nilforoushzaden MA, Zare S. Liposomes in cosmetics. J Skin Stem Cell. 2016;3:1-6.
37. Gupta P, Mazumder R, Padhi S. Development of Natamycin loaded glycerosomes, a novel approach to defend ophthalmic keratitis. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Education and Research. 2020; 54(2s):s163-s172. doi- 10.5530/ijper.54.2s.72.
38. Marianne JN, Salah S, Sally AAH, Shaimaa MBE. Investigating the potential of utilizing glycerosomes as a novel vesicular platform for lacdipine. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2020; 582: 119302.doi- https://doi.org/10.1616/j.ijpharm.2020.119302.
39. Wang J, Gou F, Ma M, Lei M, Tan F, Li N. Nanovesicular system containing tretinoin for dermal targeting delivery and rosacea treatment:a comparision of hexosomes, glycerosomes and ethosomes. RSC Advances. 2014; 4(85):45458-45466.
40. Melis V, Manca ML, Bullita E, Tamburini E, Castangia I, Cardia MC, Valenti D, Fadda AM, Peris JE, Manconi M. Inhalable polymer-glycerosomes as safe and effective carriers for rifampicin delivery to the lungs.Colloids and surfaces B: Biointerfaces. 2016; 143: 301-308.
41. Manca ML, Peris JE, Melis V, Valenti D, Cardia MC, Lattuada D, Ferrer EE, Fadda AM, Manconi M. Nanoincorporation of curcumin in polymer-glycerowsomes and evaluation of their in vitro-in vivo suitability as pulmonary delivery systems. RSC Advances. 2015; 5(127): 105149-105159.
42. Manca ML, Cencetti C, Matricardi P, Castangia I, Zaru M, Sales OD, Nacher A, Valenti D, Maccioni AM, Fadda AM, Manconi M. Glycerosomes:Use of hydroghenated soy phosphatidylcholine mixture and its effect on vesicle features and diclofenac skin penetration. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2016; 511(1): 198-204.
43. Salem HF, Kharshoum RM, Sayed OM, Hakim LFA. Formulation design and optimization of novel soft glycerosomes for enhance topical delivery of celecoxib and cupferon by box-behnken statistical design. Drug Development and Industrial Output. 2018; 44(11): 1871-1884.
44. Vitonyte J, Manca ML, Caddeo C, Valenti D, Peris JE, Usach I, Nacher A, Matos M, Gutierrez G, Orru G, Busquets XF, Fadda AM, Manconi M. Bifunctional viscous nanovesicles co-loaded with resveratrol and gallic acid for skin protection against microbial and oxidative injuries. European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics. 2017; 114: 278-287. Doi- 10.1080/14328917.2020.1779168.
45. Manconi M, Manca ML, Caddeo C, Sarais G, Palmieri A, D”Hallewin G, Fadda AM. Citrus lemon extract loaded in vesicular systems for the protection of oral cavity. Medicines. 2018; 5(4):1-9.