Amaq Fadholly, Arif N. M. Ansori, Budi Utomo
Amaq Fadholly1,3, Arif N. M. Ansori1, Budi Utomo2*
1Doctoral Program in Veterinary Science, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Universitas Airlangga, Surabaya, 60115, Indonesia.
2Department of Veterinary Reproduction, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Universitas Airlangga, Surabaya, 60115, Indonesia.
3Department of Pharmacology and Clinical Pharmacy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Universitas Muhammadiyah, Purwokerto,53182, Indonesia.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2022
Naringin, a bioflavonoid naturally found in citrus species, has been exert as promising anticancer activities. However, naringin mechanism as anticancer still remain enigmatic. This study, WiDr cell lines as human colon cancer cell in vitro were used to evaluate anticancer effect of naringin. Naringin (10, 20, 40, 60, 80µg/mL) treated on WiDr cells to evaluate IC50 value by MTT assay, then continued with analyzed caspase-3 expressions (IC50, 2IC50) as apopotosis marker. This study reported that naringin inhibit the growth of WiDr cell with IC50 value is 63.14µg/mL. The caspase-3 expressions on 2IC50 is higher (74.66%) than IC50 (56.66%). These results indicate that naringin has properties of inhibting cell growth and inducing caspase-3 expressions on WiDr cells. It is a potential compound to be developed as a chemopreventive agent for colon cancer.
Cite this article:
Amaq Fadholly, Arif N. M. Ansori, Budi Utomo. Anticancer Effect of Naringin on Human Colon Cancer (WiDr Cells): In Vitro Study. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(2):885-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00148
Amaq Fadholly, Arif N. M. Ansori, Budi Utomo. Anticancer Effect of Naringin on Human Colon Cancer (WiDr Cells): In Vitro Study. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(2):885-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00148 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-2-68
1. Arani HS, Kerachian MA. Rising rates of colorectal cancer among younger Iranians: is diet to blame?. Curr. Oncol. 2017; 24(2): E131-E137.
2. Arul D, Subramanian P. Naringenin (citrus flavonone) induces griwth inhibition, cell cyle arrest and apoptosis in human hepatocellular carcinoma cells. Pathol. Oncol. Res. 2013; 19(4): 763-770.
3. Bae JM, Kim EH. Dietary intakes of citrus fruit and risk of gastric cancer incidence: an adaptive meta analysis of cohort studies. Epidemol. Health. 2016; 38: e2016034
4. Baharara J, Amini E, Afzali M. Apoptosis inducing capacity of Holothuriua arenicola in CT36 colon carcinoma cells in vitro and in vivo. Iran J. Basic Med. Sci. 2016; 19(4): 358-365.
5. Camargo CA, Gomes-Marcondes MCC, Wutzki NC, Aoyama H. Naringin inhibits tumor growth and reduces interleukin-6 and tumor necrosis factor α levels in rats with walker 256 carcinosarcoma. Anticancer Res. 2012; 32(1): 129-133.
6. Chen C-C, Lee K-D, Pai M-Y, Chu P-Y, Hsu C-C, Chiu C-C. Changes in DNA methylation are associated with the development of drug resistance in cervical cancer cells. Cancer Cell Int. 2015; 15: 98.
7. Fadholly A, Ansori ANM, Proboningrat A, Nugraha AP, Iskandae RPD, Rantam FA, Sudjarwo SA. Apoptosis of HeLa cells via caspase-3 expression induced by chitosan-based nanoparticles of Annona squamosa leaf extract: in vitro study. Indian J. Pharm. Educ. Res. 2020; 54(2): 416-422.
8. Fadholly A, Proboningrat A, Iskandar RPD, Rantam FA, Sudjarwo SA. In Vitro anticancer activity Annona squamosa extract nanoparticle on WiDr cells. J. Adv. Pharm. Technol. Res. 2019; 10(4):149-54.
9. Favaloro B, Allocati N, Graziano V, Di Ilio C, De Laurenzi V. Role of apoptosis in disease. Aging (Albany, NY). 2012; 4: 330-349.
10. He Z, Wang X, Zhang H, Liang B, Zhang J, Zhang Z, Yang Y. High expression of folate cycle enzyme MTHFD1L correlates with poor prognosis and increased proliferation and migration in colorectal Cancer. 2020. J. Cancer. 2020; 11(4): 4213-4221.
11. Job KM, Kiang TKL, Constance JE, Sherwin CMT, Enioutina EY. Herbal medicines: challenges in the modern world. Part 4. Canada and United States. Expert Review of Clinical Pharmacology. 2016; 9(12): 1597-1609.
12. Kang KA, Piao MJ, Kim KC, Kang HK, Chang WY, Park IC. Epigenetic modificationof Nrf2 in 5-fluorouracil-resistant colon cancer cells: involvement of TET-dependent DNA demethylation. Cell Death Dis. 2014; 5: e1183.
13. Kim DI, Lee SJ, Lee SB, Park K, Kim WJ, Moon SK. Requirement for Ras/Raf/ERK pathway in naringin-induced G1-cell cyle arrest via p21WAFI expression. Carcinogenesis. 2008; 29: 1701-1709.
14. Li H, Yang B, Huang J, Xiang T, Yin X, Wan J, Luo F, Zhang L, Li H, Ren G. Naringin inhibits growth potential of human triple-negative breast cancer cell by targeting β-catenin signaling pathway. Toxicol. Lett. 2013; 220: 219-228.
15. Ma X, Chen H, Wang G, Li L, Tao K. DNA methylation profiling to predict overall survival risk in gastic cancer: development and validation of a nomogram to optimize clinical management. J. Cancer. 2020, 11(5): 4352-4365.
16. Meiyanto E, Hermawan A, Anindyajati. Natural products for cancer-targeted therapy: citrus flavonoids as potent chemopreventive agents. Asian Pac. J. Cancer Prev. 2012; 13: 427-436.
17. Mohamed EA, Hashim IIA, Yusif RM, Shaaban AAA, El-Sheakh AR, Hamed MF, Badria FAE. Polymeric micelles for potentiated antiulcer and anticancer activities of naringin. Int. J. Nanomedicine. 2018; 13: 1009-1027.
18. Ponder KG, Boise LH. The prodomain of caspase-3 regulates its own removal and caspase activation. Cell Death Discov. 2019; 5: 56.
19. Ramesh E, Alshatwi AA. Naringin induces death receptor and mitochondria-mediated apoptosis in human cervival cancer (SiHa) cells. Food and Chem. Toxicol. 2012; 51C: 97-105.H
20. Siegel RL, Miller KD, Jemal A. Cancer statistics, 2020. CA Cancer J. Clin. 2020; 70(1): 7-30.
21. Tajaldini M, Sarnadi F, Khosravi A, Ghasemnajed A, Asadi J. Protective and anticancer effects of orange peel extract and naringin in doxorubicin treated esophageal cancer stem cell xenograft tumor mouse model. Biomed. Pharm. 2020; 121: 109594.
22. Thomsen ND, Koerber JT, Wells JA. Structural snapshots reveal distinct mechanism of procaspase-3 and -7 activation. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 2013; 110: 8477-8482.
23. Valastyan S, Weinberg RA. Tumor metastasis: molecular insights and evolving paradigms. Cell. 2011; 147: 275-292.
24. Zhao W, Liu L, Xu S. Intake of citrus fruit and risk of esophagel cancer: a meta analysis. Medicine. 2018; 97(13): e0018
25. Zheng L, Zhen Y, Chen Y, Chou L, Zhang Y, Hu F, Feng J, Shen J, Wei B. Naringin inhibits growth and induces apoptosis by a mechanism dependent on reduced activation of NF-kB/COX-2-caspase-1 pathway in HeLa cervical cancer cells. Int. J. Oncol. 2014; 45: 1929-1936.
26. Zhu H, Gao J, Wang L, Qian K, Cai L. In vitro study on reversal of ovarian cancer cell resistance to ciplastin by naringin via the nuclear factor-kB signaling pathway. Exp Ther Med. 2018; 15(3): 2643-2648