Nishant B. Awandekar, Rita Tekade, Swati Dhawas, Supriya Gayakwad, Milind J. Umekar
firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org
Nishant B. Awandekar*, Rita Tekade, Swati Dhawas, Supriya Gayakwad, Milind J. Umekar
Smt. Kishoritai Bhoyar College of Pharmacy, Behind Railway Station, New Kamptee, Nagpur, Maharashtra, India – 441002.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2022
The aim of this study was to formulate fast dissolving sublingual tablets of Nifedipine using natural super-disintegrant. The metabolism of Nifedipine in liver could be bypassed by sublingual route offering a faster relief from anginal pain and hypertension. In this method mucilage of Plantago ovate husk was used as a natural superdisintegrant. The tablets were prepared by using different concentrations of synthetic as well as natural superdisintegrants by direct compression method. The prepared batches of tablets were evaluated for pre-compression parameters like angle of repose, bulk density, tapped density, Carr’s compressibility index and Hausner ratio and post compression parameters like disintegration time, wetting time, water absorption ratio, drug content, hardness, friability, thickness and weight variation for each formulation and found satisfactory. Among all the formulations F9 containing Plantago ovata husk powder as a natural super-disintegrant was found to be the best acceptable in terms of fast dissolving tablet having adequate strength. The disintegration time was found to be 40 seconds, hardness of 4.6g/cm2, wetting time of 38.33 seconds, water absorption ratio of 92.68%, drug content was 94.96% and drug release of 99.36% in 35 mins. The ability of Plantago ovata husk powder to vigorously swell by rapid uptake of water contributes to its super disintegration effect and therefore could be recommended for such formulations.
Cite this article:
Nishant B. Awandekar, Rita Tekade, Swati Dhawas, Supriya Gayakwad, Milind J. Umekar. Formulation and Evaluation of Fast Dissolving Sublingual Tablets of Nifedipine using Plantago ovata Husk as a Natural Superdisintegrant. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(2):633-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00104
Nishant B. Awandekar, Rita Tekade, Swati Dhawas, Supriya Gayakwad, Milind J. Umekar. Formulation and Evaluation of Fast Dissolving Sublingual Tablets of Nifedipine using Plantago ovata Husk as a Natural Superdisintegrant. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(2):633-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00104 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-2-24
1. Saha P, Verma S, Das P: Sublingual Drug Delivery: An Indication of potential Alternative Route. International Journal of Current Pharmaceutical Research 2017; vol 9, 5-7.
2. Ishikawa T, et al., Pharmacokinetics of acetaminophen from rapidly disintegrating compressed tablet prepared using microcrystalline cellulose (PH-M-06) and spherical sugar granules. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 2001; 49: 230-232.
3. Smita More,Tejashree Ghadge. Fast Disintegrating Tablets: An Overview. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2013; Vol. 3: Issue 2, Pg 47-55.
4. Yadav P. et al. Formulation and Evaluation of Pioglitazone HCl Fast Dissolving Tablet using Solid Dispersion. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018; 11(12): 5313-5318
5. Hughes M, Ghosh T: Pharmaceutical For Oral Mucosal Drug Delivery: Regulatory Consideration. Advances In Delivery Science And Technology 2015; 247-273.
6. Jagdale S. C, et al. Development and Evaluation of Mucoadhesive Buccal Patches of Nifedipine. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 4(6): June 2011; Page 944-948.
7. Croom, Katherine F, Wellington, Keri. Modified-release Nifedipine: A review of the use of modified release formation in the treatment of hypertension and Angina pectoris. Drugs; 2006; 66 Suppl 4: 497-528.
8. Vivekanandan. K Harikrishnan. N Bhavya. E Babu P Nandhakumar. S. Formulation and Evaluation of Floating Drug Delivery of an Anti-Hypertensive Drug. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018; 11(11): 4785-4796.
9. Sheeba F R, et al. Formulation And Evaluation Of Nifedipine Sublingual Tablets. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research, Vol.2 Issue 3, July-September 2009, 44-48.
10. Badgujar B.P.; Mundada, A.S. The technologies used for developing orally disintegrating tablets: A review.Acta Pharm. 2011, 61, 117–139.
11. Pawar H et al. Development and evaluation of orodispersible tablets using a natural polysaccharide isolated from Cassia tora seeds. Integr. Med. Res. 2014, 3, 91–98.
12. Thulluru Ashok, et al. Sublingual Tablets - An Updated Review. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2019; 9(2): 97-103.
13. Harvey A.L. Edrada-Ebel, R. Quinn, R.J. The re-emergence of natural products for drug discovery in the genomics era. Nat. Rev. Drug Discov. 2015, 14, 111–129.
14. Shailesh Sharma, Sudhir Bharadwaj and G. D. Gupta. Fast Dissolving Tablets of Promethazine Theoclate by Using Natural Superdisintegrants. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 1(3): July-Sept. 2008; Page 218-224.
15. Shirsand S. B et al. Plantago ovata Mucilage in the Design of Fast Disintegrating Tablets, Indian J Pharm Sci. 2009 Jan-Feb; 71(1): 41–45.
16. More S. A., Mohite S. K. Formulation Development and Evaluation of Orodispersible Tablet of Omeprazole by Using Co-Processed Superdisintegrant. Research J. Pharma. Dosage Forms and Tech. 2012; 4(4): 216-220.
17. Jaybhaye Aarti, Joshi Sonali, Deshmukh Ganesh. Orodispersible Tablets: A Comprehensive Review. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 7(3): Mar., 2014; Page 368-375.
18. Chandrashekar T, Vijaykumar B, Devanna N: Polymorph of Lomefloacin: Preparation, Characterisation and Evaluation of Its Anti-Microbial Activity. International Journal of Pharmacy And Biological Science 2014; Vol 4, 126-132.
19. Das P, et al. Formulation And Evaluation of Sublingual Tablet of Rizatriptan. International Journal of Pharmacy Practice And Drug Research 2013; 3(1), 45-50.
20. Sarkhejiya N. A., Khachar K. K., Patel V. P. Formulation Development and Evaluation of Sublingual Tablet of Risperidone. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 6(4): April 2013; Page 428-434.
21. Naimish A. Sarkhejiya, Krupraj K. Khachar, Vipul P. Patel. Formulation Development and Evaluation of Sublingual Tablet of Risperidone. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 6(4): April 2013; Page 428-434.