Embelin, one of significant bio-active benzoquinone compound, acts as active principle in fruits of Embelia species and has significant role as a potent source for several formulations. Aim of current research study was to estimate the variation in embelin content different non fruit parts of Embelia tsjeriam-cottam (leaf, stem bark and roots) from both wild and cultivated sources. This was achieved by using spectroscopic method and high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) analysis method, after purification through column chromatography (CC) and preparative thin layer chromatography technique (PTLC). In case of spectrophotometric analysis, wild Embelia tsjeriam-cottam plants showed embelin content in between 1.14-1.96% dry wt. and the cultivated plants 0.92-1.70% dry wt. Similarly in case of HPLC analysis, wild E. tsjeriam-cottam plants possessed embelin content in a range of 0.033-0.098% dry wt. and cultivated plants yielded embelin in between 0.021-0.071% dry wt. In both cases, amongst all the selected non fruit plant parts, the chloroform extracted root samples possessed highest and the methanol extracted leaf samples yielded lowest embelin content. When comparison was done between the wild and cultivated plant parts in terms of embelin content, wild plants were ascertained to be highly potent than the cultivated plants and root samples possessed highest embelin content followed by stem bark and leaf parts.
Cite this article:
Manisha Mohapatra, Uday C. Basak. Co-relational study on embelin content in wild and cultivated non fruit plant parts of Embelia tsjeriam-cottam A. DC. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(2):575-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00094
Manisha Mohapatra, Uday C. Basak. Co-relational study on embelin content in wild and cultivated non fruit plant parts of Embelia tsjeriam-cottam A. DC. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(2):575-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00094 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-2-14
1. Abraham I, Joshi R, Pardasani P, Pardasani RT. Recent Advances in 1, 4-Benzoquinone Chemistry. Journal of the Brazilian Chemical Society. 2011; 22: 385-421.
2. Stasiuk M, Kozubek A. Embelin-a promising bioactive compound from the Myrsinaceae family. Global Journal of biochemistry. 2011; 2 (4): 262-270.
3. Meena AK, Sinha A, Gupta MD, Mangal AK, Reddy G, Verma SC, Padhi MM. Pharmacognostic and Physicochemical Studies of Embelia ribes Burm. f. Fruit used in Ayurvedic Formulations. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2013; 6 (6): 645-648.
4. Avisetti DR, Babu KS, Kalivendi SV. Activation of p38/JNK pathway is responsible for embelin induced apoptosis in lung cancer cells: transitional role of reactive oxygen species. PLoS one. 2014; 9: 1-10.
5. Poojari R. Embelin-a drug of antiquity: shifting the paradigm towards modern medicine. Expert Opinion on Investigational Drugs. 2014; 23: 427-444.
6. Vaghela JS, Sisodia SS. In vitro Antioxidant Activity of Embelia ribes Fruit Extracts. Journal of Global Pharma Technology. 2011; 3: 14-30.
7. Basavaraj H, Ashok P. In vitro antioxidant activity of aqueous and ethanolic extract of Coscinium fenestratum root and Embelia ribes flower. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2012; 5 (4): 513-517.
8. Othman SNN, Sekar M. In vitro Antioxidant and Cytotoxic Activities of Silver Nanoparticles of Embelin Isolated from Embelia ribes. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019; 12 (9): 4080-4084
9. Sambrekar SN, Patil PA, Patil SA. Anti-Inflammatory Effect of the Embelia tsjeriam -Cottam Fruit Extracts. Research Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2011; 3 (5): 246-249
10. Sara MM, Shridhar NB, Sanganal JS, Rao S, Yadav R. Antidiabetic property of Embelia tsjeriam-cottam plant leaf extract in rats. Global Journal for Research Analysis. 2014; 3: 1-3.
11. Rondevaldova J, Leuner O, Teka A, Lulekal E, Havlik J, Damme PV, Kokoska L. In vitro Antistaphylococcal Effects of Embelia schimperi Extracts and Their Component Embelin with Oxacillin and Tetracycline. Journal of Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2015; 1-7.
12. Suralkar AA, Jadhav AS, Vaidya GS, Sharma A, Chaudary M, Bhora V. Antiallergic, Antianaphylactic and Mast Cell Stabilizing, Activity of Embelia ribes brum. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2013; 6 (11): 1190-1194.
13. Ghaisas MM, Wadikar AD, Gulati TB, Limaye RP. Anxiolytic Effect of a Methanolic Extract of the Embelia ribes Burm F. in Mice. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2010; 3 (4): 1136-1139.
14. Bhandri U, Ansari MN, Islam F. Cardio protective effect of aqueous extract of Embelia ribes Burm fruits against isoproterenol- induced myocardial infraction in albino rats. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology. 2008; 46: 35-40.
15. Venkatasubramanian P, Godbole A, Vidyashankar R, Kuruvilla GR. Evaluation of traditional anthelmintic herbs as substitutes for the endangered Embelia ribes, using Caenorhabditis elegans model. Current Science. 2013; 105: 1593-1598.
16. Radhakrishnan N, Gnanamani A. 2, 5-dihydroxy-3-undecyl-1, 4-benzoquinone (Embelin)-A second solid gold of India-A Review. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2014; 6 (2): 23-30
17. Saxena HO and Brahmam M. The Flora of Orissa. Regional Research Laboratory and Orissa Forest Development Corporation Ltd. 1995; 3rd ed: pp. 1554-1556
18. Mohapatra M, Basak UC. Quantitative reckoning of embelin from fruits of Embelia tsjeriam-cottam using water bath process as an alternate method of extraction. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biological Research. 2015; 3: 15-23
19. Belete Y, Debebe Y, Abebe A, Menberu T, Debella A. Quantitative determination and optimization of extraction conditions for embelin in Embelia schimperi by UV-Vis spectrometry. Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics. 2014; 4: 10-13
20. Kukkar R, Saluja AK, Shah UD, Kukkar MR. Estimation of Embelin and Strychnine in Krimimudgara Rasa by HPTLC Method. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Quality Assurance. 2010; 2 (1): 1-4.
21. Pathan IK, Patel RK, Bhandari A. Standardization, development and validation of spectrophotometric method for simultaneous estimation of Embelin, Gallic acid as individual and in combination in Ayurvedic churna formulation. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research. 2013; 6: 170-175.
22. Rastogi S, Bhatia AK, Kushwaha A, Pandey MK, Sharma A, Singh GN. Development and validation of a liquid chromatography method for determination of embelin in crude extract of Embelia ribes. Asian Journal of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2014; 4 (36): 9-13.
23. Nohl H, Jordan W, Youngman RJ. Quinones in biology: Functions in electron transfer and oxygen activation. Free Radical Biology and Medicine. 1986; 2: 11
24. Chansukh K, Charoensup R, Palanuvej C, Ruangrungsi N. Antimicrobial Activities of Selected Thai Medicinal Plants Bearing Quinonoids, Research Journal of Pharmaceutical. Biological and Chemical Sciences. 2014; 5 (2): 425-432.
25. Othman SNN, Lum PT, Sekar M, Mazlan NA, Yusri PZS, Ghazali NF, Idi HM, Azman S, Ismail M, Noor AAM. Molecules of interest-Embelin, a review. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020; 13 (7): 3485-3493
26. Jaradat NA, Abualhasan M, Ali J. Comparison of Anti-Oxidant Activities and Exhaustive Extraction Yields between Wild and Cultivated Cyclamen persicum, Malva sylvestris and Urtica pilulifera Leaves. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science. 2015; 5: 101-106.
27. Najda A, Dyduch-Siemińska M, Dyduch J, Gantner M. Comparative analysis of secondary metabolites contents in Fragaria vesca L. fruits. Annals of Agricultural and Environmental Medicine. 2014; 21: 339–343
28. Bunea A, Rugina OR, Pintea AM, Sconta Z, Bunea CI, Socaciu C. Comparative Polyphenolic Content and Antioxidant Activities of Some Wild and Cultivated Blueberries from Romania. Notulae Botanicae Horti Agrobotanici Cluj-Napoca. 2011; 39: 70-76.
29. Shinde A, Gahunge P, Singh P, Rath SK. Yield and phytochemical evaluation of wild and cultivated samples of Ashwagandh. Journal of Biological and Scientific Opinion. 2014; 2: 153-157.
30. Raghu AV, Unnikrishnan K, Geetha SP, Martin G, Balachandran I. Plant regeneration and production of embelin from organogenic and embryogenic callus cultures of Embelia ribes Burm. F. - a vulnerable medicinal plant. In Vitro Cellular and Developmental Biology Plant. 2011; 47: 506-515.
31. Gupta A, Naraniwal M, Kothari V. Modern extraction methods for preparation of bioactive Plant extracts. International Journal of Applied and Natural Sciences. 2012; 1: 8-26.
32. Mangal A, Bhadoriya SS, Joshi S, Agrawal G, Gupta A, Mandoria N. Extraction of herbal drugs by using hydrotropy solublization phenomenon. International Research Journal of Pharmaceutical and Applied Sciences. 2012; 2: 63-74