Widespread resistant dermatophytosis cases have been increasing in frequency in Iraq, despite prolonged treatment protocol. This study aimed to compare the therapeutic effect of oral itraconazole alone and in combination with topical tincture of iodine as an adjuvant therapy for refractory dermatophytosis. A comparative research was conducted in the Dermatology and Venereology Department, Ramadi Teaching Hospital. A total number of 130 cases with recurrent tenia were enrolled in this study. All patients were diagnosed on clinical basis and direct microscopic examination. They divided into two groups depending on the line of treatment. Only 120 patients completed the study, 82(68.3%) were males, and 38(31.7%) were female. The age ranged (18-60 years) with mean (± SD) 33.3+12.7. Marked improvement and clinical cure at 2 weeks were highly significant level in 44(75.9%) cases of those treated by 5% topical tincture of iodine plus oral itraconazole, VS 14(24.1%) of individual treated by only oral itraconazole. While there was no significant difference in cure rate between both groups at 12 weeks follow up. Topical 5% iodine tincture is recommended as a synergistic antifungal activity in combination with oral itraconazole in treatment of recurrent tinea infections.
Cite this article:
Thamir Abdulmajeed Kubaisi. Recurrent Dermatophytosis: A Comparative Therapeutic Study using Oral Itraconazole Alone and in combination with Topical Tincture of Iodine. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2022; 15(12):5825-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00983
Thamir Abdulmajeed Kubaisi. Recurrent Dermatophytosis: A Comparative Therapeutic Study using Oral Itraconazole Alone and in combination with Topical Tincture of Iodine. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2022; 15(12):5825-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00983 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-12-77
1. Majid I, Sheikh G, Kanth F, Hakak R. Relapse after Oral Terbinafine Therapy in Dermatophytosis: A Clinical and Mycological Study. Indian J Dermatol. 2016 Sep-Oct; 61(5):529-33. doi: 10.4103/0019-5154.190120.
2. Verma S, Madhu R. The Great Indian Epidemic of Superficial Dermatophytosis: An Appraisal. Indian J Dermatol. 2017 May-Jun; 62(3):227-236. doi: 10.4103/ijd.IJD_206_17.
3. Prafulla S, Gambhirsinh C, Charmi P, Vidya S. Studies in Prospective Process Validation of Fluconazole Tablet Dosage Form. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2014 Jan; 7(1): 52-58. Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2014-7-1-3
4. Charanjit K, Navjeet K, Deepika S, et al. An Updated Review of What, When and How of Sertaconazole: A Potent Antifungal Agent. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(6):3441-3448. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00599
5. Sharma R, Adhikari L, Sharma RL. Recurrent dermatophytosis: a rising problem in Sikkim, a Himalayan state in India. Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 2017 Oct-Dec; 60(4):541-545. doi: 10.4103/IJPM.IJPM_831_16.
6. Dogra S, Uprety S. The menace of chronic and recurrent dermatophytosis in India: Is the problem deeper than we perceive? Indian Dermatol Online J. 2016 Mar-Apr; 7:73-76. DOI: 10.4103/2229-5178.178100
7. Al-maoula MS, Dwaish AS. Anti-Dermatophytes Activity of some Algal Extracts Isolated From Baghdad City-Iraq. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2018; 11(12): 5449-5454. DOI: 10.5958/0974-360X.2018.00993.9
8. Shakya NB, Jha MS, Dangol A, Shakya S, Shah A. Efficacy of itraconazole versus terbinafine for the treatment of tinea cruris. Med J Shree Birendra Hosp. 2012; 11:24–26. DOI: 10.3126/mjsbh.v11i1.7763
9. Bhatia A, Kanish B, Badyal DK, Kate P, Choudhary S. Efficacy of oral terbinafine versus itraconazole in treatment of dermatophytic infection of skin - A prospective, randomized comparative study. Indian J Pharmacol. 2019 Mar-Apr; 51(2):116-119. DOI: 10.4103/ijp.IJP_578_17
10. Shah S, Pasha TY, Desai D, Bhandari A. Formulation development and evaluation of semisolid preparation of antifungal drug: Itraconazole. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2013 Feb.; 6(2): 152-157.
11. Ardeshna KP, Rohatgi S, Jerajani HR. Successful treatment of recurrent dermatophytosis with isotretinoin and itraconazole. Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol. 2016 Sep-Oct; 82:579–582. DOI: 10.4103/0378-6323.183632
12. Kolli S, Vijaya Sri K, Murthy PN, Sirisha VR. K. Solubility Enhancement of Itraconazole by Hypromellose Formulated by Solution-Suspension Layering Technique. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018; 11(11): 4850-4853. DOI: 10.5958/0974-360X.2018.00882.X
13. Diwedi S, Alexander A, Deepika, Agrawal P, et al. Formulation and evaluation of Itraconazole ucoadhesive tablets for sustained release. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2018; 11(3): 1140-1146. DOI: 10.5958/0974-360X.2018.00213.5
14. Evan-paz Z, Ganor S, Raubitschek F. Tenia capitis treated by oral and lacal iodine. Dermatologica. 1965; 130:267-271. DOI: 10.1159/000254538
15. Sharquie KE, Noaimi AA, Ibrahim GA, Al-Husseiny AS. Topical therapy of molluscum contagiosum as a comparative therapeutic study using 15% phenol in lactic acid, 5% tincture iodine and pricking alone. Our Dermatol Online. 2016; 7(3):253-257. DOI: 10.7241/ourd.20163.70
16. Sharquie KE, Jabbar RI. Major Outbreak of Dermatophyte Infections Leading Into Imitation of Different Skin Diseases: Trichophyton Mentagrophytes is the Main Criminal Fungus. J Turk Acad Dermatol. 2021; 15:91-100. DOI: 10.4274/jtad.galenos.2021.83007
17. Najem MH, Al-Salhi MH, Hamim SS. Study of Dermatophytosis prevalence in Al-Nassiriyah city- Iraq. World J Pharm Sci. 2016; 4:166-172. Available online at: http://www.wjpsonline.org/
18. Rashidian S, Falahati M, Kordbacheh P, Mahmoudi M, et al. A study on etiologic agents and clinical manifestations of dermatophytosis in Yazd, Iran. Curr Med Mycol. 2015 Dec; 1:20- 25. DOI: 10.18869/acadpub.cmm.1.4.20
19. Astvad KMT, Hare RK, Jørgensen KM, Saunte DML, Thomsen PK, Arendrup MC. Increasing Terbinafine Resistance in Danish Trichophyton Isolates 2019-2020. J Fungi (Basel). 2022 Jan 31; 8(2):150. DOI: 10.3390/jof8020150
20. Nenoff P, Verma SB, Ebert A, Süß A, Fischer E, et al. Spread of Terbinafine-Resistant Trichophyton mentagrophytes Type VIII (India) in Germany-”The Tip of the Iceberg?”. J Fungi (Basel). 2020 Dec; 6:207. DOI: 10.3390/jof6040207
21. Dei Cas E, Vernes A. Parasitic adaptation of pathogenic fungi to mammalian hosts. Crit Rev Microbiol. 1986; 13:173-218. DOI: 10.3109/10408418609108738
22. Vishwanath V , Londhe P, Tare D , Deshmukh G, Dhoot D, Effectiveness and safety of combination of Itraconazole and Amorolfine in management of patients with recalcitrant multi-site dermatophytosis who failed previous combination antifungal therapy. IP Indian J Clin Exp Dermatol. 2020; 6(4):391-396. DOI: 10.18231/j.ijced.2020.076
23. Rai S, Kamath VB, Subrahmanyam VM. Strategies for Treatment of Onychomycosis. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2018; 11(11): 5135-5138. DOI: 10.5958/0974-360X.2018.00937.X
24. Vishwanath V, Londhe P, Tare D, Deshmukh G, Dhoot D, Barkate H. Effectiveness and safety of combination of Itraconazole and Amorolfine in management of patients with recalcitrant multi-site dermatophytosis who failed previous combination antifungal therapy. IP Indian J Clin Exp Dermatol. 2020; 6(4):391-396. DOI: 10.18231/j.ijced.2020.0762
25. Choudhury A, Saha S, Bahadur S, Roy A. Synergistic Antifungal Activity of Bioactive Phytochemical in Combination with Standard Antifungal Drugs. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(5):2346-2352. DOI: 10.5958/0974-360X.2019.00392.5
26. Sharma P, Bhalla M, Thami GP, Chander J. Evaluation of efficacy and safety of oral terbinafine and itraconazole combination therapy in the management of dermatophytosis. J Dermatol Treat. 2020 Nov; 31(7):749– 53. DOI: 10.1080/09546634.2019.1612835
27. Mahajan R, Sahoo AK. Management of tinea corporis, tinea cruris, and tinea pedis: A comprehensive review. Indian Dermatol Online J. 2016 Mar-Apr; 7(2):77–86. DOI: 10.4103/2229-5178.178099
28. Rajagopalan M, Inamadar A, Mittal A, Miskeen AK, Srinivas CR, et al. Expert Consensus on The Management of Dermatophytosis in India (ECTODERM India). BMC Dermatol. 2018 Jul; 18(1):6. DOI: 10.1186/s12895-018-0073-1
29. Vinod KY, Balamuralidhara V, Hemanth KS. Design, Development and Evaluation of Solid Form of Liquid Self-Nanoemulsifying Formulation for improving the Oral Bioavailability of Itraconazole. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(6):2639-2646. DOI: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00469.2
30. Gupta S, Ajazuddin, Yadav P, Thapa H, Banjare T, et al. Formulation and evaluation of sustained released buccoadhesive tablets of Itraconazole. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2018; 11(3):1179-1184. DOI: 10.5958/0974-360X.2018.00220.2