Kousik Saha, Trisha Sen, Mrityunjoy Majumdar, Hira Das, Oindrila Baisya
Kousik Saha1*, Trisha Sen1, Mrityunjoy Majumdar1, Hira Das1, Oindrila Baisya2
1Department of Pharmacology, Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose Institute of Pharmacy, Chakdaha, Nadia 741222, West Bengal, India.
2Department of Pharmaceutics, Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose Institute of Pharmacy, Chakdaha, Nadia 741222, West Bengal, India.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 12,
Year - 2022
The objective of present study was to evaluate the anti-ulcer activity of hydro-alcoholic extract of Corchorus capsularis seeds. Mainly hyper secretion of gastric acid and pepsin causes ulcer in patients. Plant extracts and polyherbal formulations are two of the most appealing sources of new drug. This type of extract formulations are showing good results in the treatment of gastric ulcers. In this study anti-ulcer activity was investigated by pyloric ligation, aspirin and stress induced gastric ulcer in albino wistar rats. The extract was given at the dose of 250mg/kg (CCLD- Corchorus capsularis low dose) and 500mg/kg (CCHD- Corchorus capsularis high dose) in all the experimental models. Ranitidine (150mg/kg) was used as standard drug. CCLD and CCHD showed 37.49% and 63.14% ulcer inhibition respectively, whereas ranitidine 69.69% against pylorus ligation induced ulcer. In aspirin induced ulcer model the extract showed ulcer inhibition 48.64% and 64.00% in CCLD and CCHD respectively whereas the standard drug ranitidine exhibited 84.64% ulcer inhibition. In stress induced ulcer model CCLD, CCHD and ranitidine exhibited 48.64%, 64.00% and 84.64% ulcer inhibition respectively. In all the models ethanolic extract of Corchorus capsularis seeds has shown significant anti-ulcer activity in dose dependent manner.
Cite this article:
Kousik Saha, Trisha Sen, Mrityunjoy Majumdar, Hira Das, Oindrila Baisya. Evaluation of Hydro-alcoholic extract of Corchorus capsularis seeds for its Anti-ulcer activity on Albino Wistar Rat. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2022; 15(12):5751-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00970
Kousik Saha, Trisha Sen, Mrityunjoy Majumdar, Hira Das, Oindrila Baisya. Evaluation of Hydro-alcoholic extract of Corchorus capsularis seeds for its Anti-ulcer activity on Albino Wistar Rat. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2022; 15(12):5751-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00970 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-12-64
1. Mahurkar N, Sayeed ul Hasan SM. Antiulcer Activity of Commicarpus chinensis in Ethanol and Aspirin Induced Ulcers. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2014; 4(3):119-22.
2. India: peptic ulcer disease. World health rankings live longer live better. Available on https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/india-peptic-ulcer-disease.
3. Swathi V, Ranjit PM, Ramesh M, Chowdary YA. Screening of the anti-ulcer activity of polyherbal extract of selected medicinal herbs against albino Wistar rats. Am J Phytomed Clin Ther. 2014; 2(2):168-73.
4. Qureshi MS, Reddy AV, Kumar GS. Protective Effect of Hydrolea zeylanica Vahl. Leaf extract in Ethanol and Cold Restraint Stress Induced Ulcers in Rats. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2017; 10(1):49-54. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2017.00012.9
5. Srinivas TL, Lakshmi SM, Shama SN, Reddy GK, Prasanna KR. Medicinal plants as anti-ulcer agents. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2013; 2(4):91-7.
6. Islam MM. Biochemistry, medicinal and food values of jute (Corchorus capsularis L. and C. olitorius L.) leaf: a review. Int J Enhanc Res Sci Technol Eng. 2013; 2(11):135-44.
7. Khan MS, Bano S, Javed K, Mueed MA. A comprehensive review on the chemistry and pharmacology of Corchorus species: A source of cardiac glycosides, triterpenoids, ionones, flavonoids, coumarins, steroids and some other compounds. Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research. 2006; 65(4):283-98.
8. Al-Snafi AE. The contents and pharmacological importance of Corchorus capsularis-A review. IOSR Journal of Pharmacy. 2016; 6(6):58-63.
9. Frerejacque M, Durgeat M. Digitalis like poisons of jute seed. Compt Rend. 1954; 238:507-9.
10. Furumoto T, Wang R, Okazaki K, AFM F, Ali MI, Kondo A and Fukui H. Antitumor promoters in leaves of jute (Corchorus capsularis and Corchorus olitorius). Food Science and Technology. 2002; 8: 239-243. doi: 10.3136/fstr.8.239
11. Zakaria ZA. Free radical scavenging activity of some plants available in Malaysia. Iranian Journal of Pharmacology and Therapeutics. 2007; 6(1):87-0.
12. Zakaria ZA, Kumar GH, Mohd. Nor RR, Sulaiman MR, Fatimah CA, Jais AM, Somchit MN, and Ismail MS. Antinociceptive, anti-inflammatory and antipyretic properties of aquas extract of Corchorus capsularis leaves in experimental animal models. Pharmaceutical Biology. 2009; 47(2): 104-110. doi: 10.1080/13880200802436539
13. Rume JM. Phytochemical, Antimicrobial and Biological Investigations of Methanolic Extract of Leaves of Corchorus Capsularis. East West University 2010. Available on http://dspace.ewubd.edu:8080/handle/123456789/681.
14. Roy N. Role of Chorchorus capsularis phytochemicals on the feeding dynamics of Diacrisia casignetum Kollar (Lepidoptera: Arctiidae). Journal of Entomology and Zoology Studies. 2014; 2(4):227-36.
15. Kokate CK, Purohit AP, Gokhale SB. Pathway to screen phytochemical nature of natural drugs. Pharmacognosy. Nirali Prakashan, Pune. 2014; 49th ed: pp. A.22-A.27.
16. Shay H, Sun DC, Gruenstein M. A quantitative method for measuring spontaneous gastric secretion in the rat. Gastroenterology. 1954; 26(6):906-13. doi: 10.1016/S0016-5085(54)80008-4
17. Kulkarni SK. Pharmacology of gastro-intestinal tract (GIT). Hand Book of Experimental Pharmacology. Vallabh Prakashan, New Delhi. 2005; 3rd ed: pp. 148-150.
18. Lalita P, Kamal SG, Prakash NB. Anti-ulcer activity of Cleome viscose Linn. against gastric ulcer in rats. Research J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2013; 5(3):115-8.
19. Mahurkar N, Sayeed Ul Hasan SM. Synergistic Antiulcer Effect of Melatonin and Esomeprazole Combination in Pylorus Ligation, Ethanol, Aspirin induced Peptic Ulcers. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2015; 5(1):10-4. doi: 10.5958/2231-5691.2015.00002.7
20. Bhalke RD, Giri MA, Pal SC. Antiulcer activity of methanol extract of leaves of Bauhinia racemosa Linn (Leguminaceae). Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2011; 4(1):124-7.
21. Sivakumar KK, Rajasekaran A, Ponnilavarasan I, Somasundaram A, Sivasakthi R. Antiulcer and Analgesic Activity of the Ethanol Extract of Cleome gynandra Linn Leaves. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2010; 3(3):766-9.
22. Nitin M, Girish M, Chetan M, Javed A, Krunal S, Krishna K. Comparative Influence of Selected Antioxidants with Lansoprazole in Aspirin Induced Ulcer Model in Rats. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2011; 4(8):1273-7.
23. Kitagawa H, Fujiwara M, Osumi Y. Effects of water-immersion stress on gastric secretion and mucosal blood flow in rats. Gastroenterology. 1979; 77(2):298-302. doi: 10.1016/0016-5085(79)90281-6
24. Umbare RP, Mate GS, Dongare SS. Anti-Ulcer Activity of Crude Alcoholic Extract of Rhizomes of Cissus repens Lan. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2011; 4 (1):60-2.
25. Bose S, Majumdar M. Preclinical Evaluation of Antiulcer activity of hydroalcoholic extracts of Macrotyloma uniflorum seed. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020; 13(2):853-6. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00161.4
26. Dhanaraj TS, Murugaiah K. Antiulcer activity of Mukia maderasapatana on stress induced in rats. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Science. 2012; 2(2):52-4.
27. Tripathi KD. Drugs for peptic ulcer and gastroesophageal reflux disease. Essentials of medical pharmacology. JP Brothers Medical Publishers Ltd, New Delhi. 2013; 7th ed: pp. 647-648.
28. Kadhem MA, Abdul-Niby AA, Khassaf HK. Study the effect of Ethanolic extract of Anethum graveolens L. on Aspirin induced Gastric Ulcer in Male Guinea Pigs. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018; 11(9):3793-8. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2018.00695.9