A. Eswar Kumar, Ch. Niranjan Patra
A. Eswar Kumar1, Ch. Niranjan Patra2
1Department of Pharmaceutics, University College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Palamuru University, Mahabubnagar, 509001, Telangana, India.
2Professor, Department of Pharmaceutics, Roland Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Orissa, India.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 12,
Year - 2022
The present investigation deals with the development of duloxetine ethosome then loading into transdermal patch to impart lower drug side effect, enhanced bioavailability, avoid first pass metabolismt.32 factorial design was applied to optimize the formulation. Materials and Methods, Ethanol (X1) and Phospholipid (X2) were taken as independent variable, Responses are vesicle size (Y2), entrapment efficiency (Y1). Optimum desirability was identified and, an optimized formulation was prepared, characterized and loaded into transdermal films. Ex-vivo permeation study for the prepared films was conducted and, the permeation parameters and drug permeation mechanism were identified. Results The percent of alcohol was significantly affecting all the studied responses while the other factors and their interaction effects were varied on their effects on each response. The optimized ethosomes formulation showed observed values for Y2, Y1 a of 161nm and 98.79% respectively. Ex-vivo permeation of films loaded with optimized ethosomal formulation was superior to that of the corresponding pure drug transdermal films.
Cite this article:
A. Eswar Kumar, Ch. Niranjan Patra. Formulation Characterization Optimization of Duloxetine loaded Ethosome Patch for Transdermal Application. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2022; 15(12):5565-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00940
A. Eswar Kumar, Ch. Niranjan Patra. Formulation Characterization Optimization of Duloxetine loaded Ethosome Patch for Transdermal Application. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2022; 15(12):5565-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00940 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-12-34
1. Tarek A. Ahmed, Khalid M. El-Saya,b, Bader M. Aljaeida, Usama A. Fahmya, Fathy I. Abd-Allah Transdermal duloxetine delivery system based on optimized ethosomal nano-vesicles: Preparation, characterization, in vitro,ex vivo and clinical evaluation, Pharmaceutical Nanotechnology. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2016, (500) 245-254
2. Ah, Y.-C., Choi, J.-K., Choi, Y.-K., Ki, H.-M., Bae, J.-H.et al . A novel transdermal patch incorporating meloxicam: in vitro and in vivo characterization. Int. J. Pharm. 385 (1-2), 12–19 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpharm.2009.10.013
3. Dubey, V., Mishra, D., Dutta, T., Nahar, M., Saraf, D.K., Jain, N.K, Dermal and transdermal delivery of an anti-psoriatic agent via ethanolic liposomes. J. Control. Release. 2007https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jconrel.2007.08.005
4. Abdel Messih, H.A., Ishak, R.A., Geneidi, A.S., Mansour, S., 2017. Nanoethosomes for transdermal delivery of tropisetron HCl: multi-factorial predictive modeling, characterization, and ex vivo skin permeation. Drug Dev. Ind. Pharm. 43, 958–971. https://doi.org/10.1080/03639045.2017.1287717
5. Touitou, E., Godin, B., Dayan, N., Weiss, C., Piliponsky, A., Levi-Schaffer, F, Intracellular delivery mediated by an ethosomal carrier. Biomaterials. 2001, 22 (22), 3053–3059 https://doi.org/10.1016/s0142-9612(01)00052-7
6. Davis, S.N., 2004. The role of duloxetine in the effective management of Type 2 diabetes. J. Diabetes Complications. 18 (6), 367–376
7. Dibyalochan Mohanty, A.Mounika, Vasudha Bakshi, Chinmayee kumar sahoo ,Ethosome: A Novel Approach in Transdermal Drug Delivery, International Journal of Chem Tech Research. 2018, Volume-11(8) ,Page no:219-226
8. Liu, X., Liu, H., Liu, J., He, Z., Ding, C., Huang, G., et al., Preparation of a ligustrazine ethosome patch and its evaluation in vitro and in vivo. Int. J. Nanomed. 2011,6, 241–247 https://doi.org/10.2147/IJN.S16044
9. Hamaguchi, T., Hirose, T., Asakawa, H., Itoh, Y., Kamado, K., Tokunaga, K., et al., 2004. Efficacy of duloxetine in type 2 diabetic patients treated with glibenclamide. Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract. 66 (Suppl 1), S129–S132
10. Karande, P., Mitragotri, S., Enhancement of transdermal drug delivery via synergistic action of chemicals. Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 2009, 1788 (11), 2362–2373, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbamem.2009.08.015
11. Jobin Jose, Shweta Shetty, Sandeep D S, Prashanth Nayak. Ethosomes as a Promising Delivery Carrier for Herbal Drugs: Recent Developments. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2018; 11(7): 3197-3200 https://doi.org/10.5958/0974-360X.2018.00587.5
12. Sneh Priya, Divya Jyothi, Jainey P James, Amala Maxwell. Formulation and Optimization of Ethosomes loaded with Ropinirole Hydrochloride: Application of quality by Design Approach. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(9):4339-4345. https://doi.org/10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00767.2
13. Singh Shikha Y., Aher Smita S., Saudagar Ravindra B.. Ethosomes –Novel Drug Delivery System. Research J. Topical and Cosmetic Sci. 6(1):Jan.–June 2015 page 7-14. https://dx.doi.org/10.15171%2Fapb.2015.074
14. Tejashree A. Ghadge, A.S. Kulkarni, S.H. Majumdar, S.D. Chavare. Ethosome: A Promising Approach for Antifungal Drug Delivery. Research J. Topical and Cosmetic Sci. 6(1):Jan.–June 2015 page 32-37. https://www.doi.org/10.5958/2321-5844.2015.00001.1
15. Shraddha Pandey, Shashi Kiran Misra, Nisha Sharma. Ethosomes- A Novelize Vesicular Drug Delivery System. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10(9): 3223-3232, https://doi.org/10.5958/0974-360X.2017.00572.8
16. T. M. Jondhalekar, S. S. Aher, R. B. Saudagar. Transethosome: Novel Vesicular Carrier for Enhanced Transdermal Drug Delivery System. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10(6): 1816-1819. https://doi.org/10.5958/0974-360X.2017.00320.1
17. Kundlik Girhepunje et al Formulation and Characterization of Ethosomal Formulation of Ciclopirox olamine. Research J. Pharma. Dosage Forms and Tech. 2012; 4(5): 285-289.
18. S. J. Daharwal, Veena Devi Thakur, Shikha Shrivastava et al . Designing and Optimization of medicated chewing gum of Ambroxol HCl by using 32 Factorial design. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 3(3): July-Sept. 2013; Page 118-120.
19. Pradnya M Khandagale, Manisha M. Rokade et al, Formulation Development and Evaluation of Nasal In- Situ Gel of Hydrocortisone. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2018; 8 (2):92-102 . https://doi.org/10.5958/2231-5659.2021.00010.2
20. Monisha C, GNK. Ganesh, Mythili L, Kayalvizhi Radhakrishnan et al A Review on Ethosomes for Transdermal Application. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(7): 3133-3143.