Mule V. S., Naikwade N. S
Mule V. S.1,2*, Naikwade N. S.1
1Department of Pharmacology, Appasaheb Birnale College of Pharmacy, Sangli - 416416, Maharashtra, India.
2Department of Pharmacology, Yashwantrao Bhonsale College of Pharmacy, Sawantwadi - 416510, Maharashtra, India.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 12,
Year - 2022
Fruits of plant Ficus lacor Buch. Ham. were evaluated for its antidiabetic efficacy in dexamethasone induced insulin resistant rats. Extraction of fruits was done by soxhlation method to get fruit extract. Acute toxicity study of fruit extract was performed as per OECD 425 guidelines using wistar rats. Rats weighing between 200 to 250 g were selected for experimental work and divided randomly in to five groups normal control, diabetic Control, standard control (metformin, 2mg/kg), fruit extract (200mg/kg), fruit extract (400mg/kg) with five animals in each group. Dexamethasone (10mg/kg s.c) was used to induce insulin resistance in wistar rats weighing between 200 to 250g for 11 days. Animals in treatment group were treated with metformin (40mg/kg), fruit extract (200 and 400mg/kg) for 11 days daily. At the end of 11 days study, different parameters like body weight, food intake, water intake, glucose, cholesterol, triglyceride, HDL, LDL, VLDL, urea, uric acid, creatinine, aspartate aminotransferase (AST) and alanine transaminase (ALT) were determined. Liver and muscle was isolated for estimation of glycogen level. The result indicates significant (P ? 0.05) improvement in different biochemical parameters when compared with diabetic control group. The liver glycogen level was increased significantly (P ? 0.001) when compared with diabetic control group. The antidiabetic effect of fruit extract of plant Ficus Lacor Buch. Ham. was found to be dose dependent.
Cite this article:
Mule V. S., Naikwade N. S. Effect of Ficus lacor Buch. Ham. Fruit Extract on Dexamethasone Induced Insulin Resistant Rats. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2022; 15(12):5559-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00939
Mule V. S., Naikwade N. S. Effect of Ficus lacor Buch. Ham. Fruit Extract on Dexamethasone Induced Insulin Resistant Rats. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2022; 15(12):5559-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00939 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-12-33
1. Kayarohanam S, Subramaniyan V, Janakiraman AK, Madhan SJ. Antioxidant, antidiabetic, and antihyperlipidemic activities of Dolichandrone atrovirens in albino wistar rats. Research J. Pharm. and Tech.. 2019; 12(7):3511-3516. doi:10.5958/0974-360X.2019.00597.3
2. Saifi A, Chauhan R, Dwivedi J. Assessment of the antidiabetic activity of Syzygium cumini (Linn.) Skeels in alloxan induced diabetic rats. Research Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2016 July; 8(3):91-96. doi: 10.5958/2321-5836.2016.00017.3
3. Sawant SS, Randive VR, Kulkarni SR. Lectins from seeds of Abrus precatorius: evaluation of antidiabetic and antihyperlipidemic potential in diabetic rats. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2017; 7(2):71-80. doi: 10.5958/2231-5691.2017.00013.2
4. Keerthana K, Jothi G. Determination of in vitro antidiabetic potential of aqueous and ethanol extracts and isolated fraction of Zanthoxylum armatum dc stem bark. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020 Aug; 13(8):3681-3684. doi:10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00651.4
5. Khare CP. Indian medicinal plants an illustrated dictionary. Springer (India) Private Limited. 2007.
6. Mahadeva US, Kausar SA, Janarthanam RB, Djearamane S, Kumar SS. Biochemical evaluation of antidiabetic effect of Kasini ashshifa, a polyherbal formulation in high fat diet fed- low dose stz induced diabetes in rats. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020 Mar; 13(3):1474-1482. doi:10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00269.3
7. Sindhu RK, Arora S. Phytochemical and pharmacognostical investigation on arial roots of Ficus lacor Buch. Ham. International Journal of Phytomedicines. 2013; 5:276-277.
8. Ghimire P, Pandey S, Shrestha AB. A comprehensive review on phytochemical, pharmacognostical properties and pharmacological activities of Ficus lacor L. (Moraceae). International Journal of Herbal Medicine. 2020; 8(5):96-102.
9. Ateeq A, Kumar MS, Ankit S, Kumar SA. Pharmacognostical evaluation of the fruit of plaksha - Ficus Lacor buch. ham. Global J Res. Med. Plants and Indigen. Med, 2014 Apr; 3(4):165-174.
10. Hoque M, Satish S. Antidiabetic activity in aqueous leaf extract of Ciceracida linn in alloxan induced diabetes rat’s model. Research Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2017 July; 9(3):152-156. doi: 10.5958/2321-5836.2017.00026.X
11. Krishnasamy G, Muthusamy K, Chellappan DR, Subbiah N. Antidiabetic, antihyperlipidaemic, and antioxidant activity of Syzygium densiflorum fruits in streptozotocin and nicotinamide-induced diabetic rats. Pharmaceutical Biology. 54(9):1716-1726. doi:10.3109/13880209.2015.1125932
12. Kariyil BJ, Usha PA, Acute Oral Toxicity Studies of Methanolic Extract and Chloroform Fraction of Methanolic Extract of Seeds of Annona muricata. Phcog Mag. 2020 Apr; 16:757-63. doi:10.4103/pm.pm_118_20
13. Dongare VR, Arvindekar AU, Magadum CS. Hypoglycemic effect of Foeniculum vulgare mill. fruit on dexamethasone induced insulin resistance rats. Research J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2010; 2(2): 163-165.
14. Sajid SR. Effect of Aegle marmelose linn. leaves in dexamethasone induced insulin resistance diabetic mice. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2015 Mar; 8(3):270-275. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2015.00045.1
15. Lakshmana G, Chitra V, Rajesh KD, Dayakar RP, Srinivasan R, Rajeswari DG. Study of antidiabetic and free radical scavenging activity of the methanolic and n-hexane extract of Asystasia gangetica leaf in alloxan induced diabetic rats. Research Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2014 Apr; 6(2):86-93.
16. Hassid WZ and Abraham S. Methods in Enzymology. Academic Press, New York. 1957.
17. Vats V, Yadav SP, Grover JK. Effect of T. foenumgraecum on glycogen content of tissues and the key enzymes of carbohydrate metabolism. Journal of ethnopharmacology. 2003; 85:237-242. doi:10.1016/S0378-8741(03)00022-9
18. Nimesh S, Tomar R, Dhiman S. Medicinal herbal plants and allopathic drugs to treat diabetes mellitus: a glance. Adv Pharmacol Clin Trials. 2019; 04(1):1-13. doi:10.23880/apct-16000151
19. Singh J, Singh J, Kaur S. Herbal interventions in managing diabetes mellitus: a review. Plant Archives. 2020; 20(2):2781-2791.
20. Liyanagamage DS, Jayasinghe S, Attanayake AP, Karunaratne V. Medicinal Plants in Management of Diabetes Mellitus: An Overview. Ceylon Journal of Science. 2020; 49(1):03-11. doi:10.4038/cjs.v49i1.7700
21. Shin JW, Seol IC, Son CG. Interpretation of animal dose and human equivalent dose for drug development. The Journal of Korean Oriental Medicine. 2010; 31(3):1-7
22. Suh S, Park MK. Glucocorticoid-Induced Diabetes Mellitus: An Important but Overlooked Problem. Endocrinol Metab. 2017; 32:180-189. doi:10.3803/EnM.2017.32.2.180
23. Rang SP, Ritter JM, Flower PJ and Henderson G. Rang and Dales Pharmacology. Elsevier Ltd. 2015.
24. Pottathil S, Nain P, Morsy MA, Kaur J, Dhubiab BE, Jaiswal S, Nair A. Mechanisms of Antidiabetic Activity of Methanolic Extract of Punica granatum Leaves in Nicotinamide/Streptozotocin-Induced Type 2 Diabetes in Rats. Plants. 2020; 9:1609-1624. doi:10.3390/plants9111609
25. Carvalho HO, Souza BS, Santos IV, Resque RL, Keita H, Fernandes CP, Carvalho JC. Hypoglycemic effect of formulation containing hydroethanolic extract of Calophyllum brasiliense in diabetic rats induced by streptozotocin. Brazilian journal of pharmacognosy. 2016; 26:634–639. doi:10.1016/j.bjp.2016.04.004
26. Divya N, Ilavenil S. Hypoglycemic and hypolipidemic potentials of Psidium guajava in alloxan induced diabetic rats. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2012 Jan; 5 (1):125-128.
27. Okoduwa SI, Umar IA, James DB, Inuwa HM. Validation of the Antidiabetic Effects of Vernonia amygdalina Delile Leaf Fractions in Fortified Diet-Fed Streptozotocin-Treated Rat Model of Type-2 Diabetes. J Diabetol. 2017 Apr; 8:74-85. doi:10.4103/jod.jod_19_17
28. Pouraboli I, Nazari S, Sabet N, Sharififar F, Jafari M. Antidiabetic, antioxidant, and antilipid peroxidative activities of Dracocephalum polychaetum shoot extract in streptozotocininduced diabetic rats: In vivo and in vitro studies. Pharmaceutical Biology. 2015; 54(2):272-278. doi:10.3109/13880209.2015.1033561