Padmapriya A, Preetha S, Selvaraj J, Sridevi G
Padmapriya A1, Preetha S1, Selvaraj J2, Sridevi G1
1Department of Physiology, Saveetha Dental College and Hospital, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha University, Chennai.
2Department of Biochemistry, Saveetha Dental college and Hospitals, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha University, Chennai.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 12,
Year - 2022
Background: Herbal medicine has been used for many years. Medicinal plants are a natural source which has fewer side effects and has an ability to scavenge free radicals. Plants have been used for many centuries to prevent diseases traditionally, because of their pharmacological activities. Carica papaya contains an enzyme called papain which has many pharmaceutical applications and antioxidant activity. Carica papaya contains phytochemicals like flavonoids, alkaloids, sapponents, terpenoids, and amino acids which could be responsible for its medicinal property. The aim of the study is to evaluate the cytotoxic effect of Carica papaya seed and its role on the mRNA expression of IL-6 and TNF-a in human lung cancer cell lines. Materials and methods: Cell viability test was done using MTT assay. mRNA expression of IL-6 and TNF-a was done by real-time PCR. The obtained data we analysed statistically by one way analysis of variance and Duncan multiple range tests with graph prism version 5 to analyse the significance. The significance was considered at p<0.05 level in Duncan’s test. Result: The cells were exposed to different concentrations of Carica papaya (100-500µg/ml) with A549 cells for 48 hours. It showed maximum inhibition of 50% at concentration of 400-500µg/ml. The study showed that Carica papaya seed extract has down-regulated IL-6 and TNF-a mRNA expression at (400-500µg/ml) and it was statistically significant compared to untreated control cells (p< 0.05). Conclusion: The present study has concluded that cells showed maximum inhibition of 50% at (400µg/ml - 500µg/ml) and thus has anticancer potential by inhibiting mRNA expression of IL-6 and TNF-a in human lung cancer cell lines
Cite this article:
Padmapriya A, Preetha S, Selvaraj J, Sridevi G. Effect of Carica papaya seed extract on IL -6 and TNF-α in human lung cancer cell lines - an In vitro study. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology2022; 15(12):5478-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00924
Padmapriya A, Preetha S, Selvaraj J, Sridevi G. Effect of Carica papaya seed extract on IL -6 and TNF-α in human lung cancer cell lines - an In vitro study. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology2022; 15(12):5478-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00924 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-12-18
1. Tsubouchi H, Yanagi S, Miura A, Matsumoto N, Nakazato M. Ghrelin ameliorates cancer cachexia associated with the development of lung adenocarcinoma in mice. 111 Lung Cancer. 2015. doi:10.1183/13993003.congress-2015.pa4266
2. In Vitro Antibacterial, Free Radical Scavenging Activity of Aqueous and Ethanolic Extracts of Capparis Decidua. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2020;12(sp1). doi:10.31838/ijpr/2020.sp1.450
3. In-vitro Free Radical Scavenging, Antibacterial, Cytotoxicity of Ethanolic/Hydroethanolic Extract Of Capparis Decidua. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2020;12(sp1). doi:10.31838/ijpr/2020.sp1.438
4. Lakshme PST, Preetha, Jeevitha M, Rajeshkumar S. Evaluation of Antioxidant and Cytotoxic Effect of Selenium Nanoparticles Synthesised Using Capparis decidua. J Pharm Res Int. August 2020:60-66.
5. Kalantri MR, Aher AN. Review on herbal drugs used in treatment for Asthma. Res j pharmacogn phytochem. 2018;10(1):63.
6. Suryawanshi VS, Yadav AR, Birajdar RM, Jagtap NM, Vambhurkar GB, Patil PA. Optimization of ayurvedic herbal medicines by nanoformulation. Asian J Res Pharm Sci. 2019;9(1):55.
7. S S, Sneka S, Santhakumar P. Antibacterial Activity of Selenium Nanoparticles extracted from Capparis decidua against Escherichia coli and Lactobacillus Species. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021:4452-4454. doi:10.52711/0974-360x.2021.00773
8. Madhumitha B, Santhakumar P, Jeevitha M, Rajeshkumar S. Green Synthesis of Selenium Nanoparticle using Capparis decidua fruit extract and its Characterization using Transmission Electron Microscopy And UV- Visible Spectroscopy. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021:2129-2132. doi:10.52711/0974-360x.2021.00377
9. P A, Anushya P, Preetha S, Prathap L, Jeevitha M. Enhanced Antibacterial activity of Capparis decidua fruit mediated Selenium Nanoparticle against Enterococcus faecalis. International Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2021;12(1):6-11. doi:10.26452/ijrps.v12i1.3905
10. Chockalingam S, Preetha S, Jeevitha M, Pratap L. Antibacterial Effects of Capparis decidua Fruit Mediated Selenium Nanoparticles. Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences. 2020;9(40):2947-2950. doi:10.14260/jemds/2020/646
11. K J, Janani K, Preetha S, Jeevitha, Rajeshkumar S. Green synthesis of Selenium nanoparticles using Capparis decidua and its anti-inflammatory activity. International Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2020;11(4):6211-6215. doi:10.26452/ijrps.v11i4.3298
12. Ali SJ, Preetha S, Jeevitha M, Prathap L, S. R. Antifungal Activity of Selenium Nanoparticles Extracted from Capparis decidua Fruit against Candida albicans. Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences. 2020;9(34):2452-2455. doi:10.14260/jemds/2020/533
13. Website. K HimaBindu, CH Stalin Reddy, P Parameshwar, N Sravan Kumar, G Narender Naik. Phytochemical Screening and antihelminthetic Properties of Carica papaya. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 5(4): April 2012; Page 478-479. Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2012-5-4-16.
14. Nguyen TTT, Shaw PN, Parat MO, Hewavitharana AK. Anticancer activity of Carica papaya: a review. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2013;57(1):153-164.
15. Nguyen TT. Investigation of bioactive compounds with anti-cancer potential in Carica papaya leaves. doi:10.14264/uql.2016.283
16. Maneesh K, Vijayabhaskar K, Firdouse H, Srinivasa Rao P, Prajwitha M, Swetha S. Evaluation of Antimicrobial of P. vesicularis, Streptococcus faecalis, Aeromonas hydrophilia, Salmonela typhae, Stphylococcus cohni, Serratia ficaria and E. coli. of crude and n-butanol fraction fruit latex of Carica papaya L. (Caricaceae). Asian J Pharm Res. May 2021:92-94.
17. Singh V, Rizvi A, Sara US. Standardization and Phytochemical screening of Carica papaya seeds. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021:4540-4546. doi:10.52711/0974-360x.2021.00790
18. Aparna SSV, Sarvamangala D, Manga S. Characterization of Microbial pigments from a combination of Citrus limon peel and Carica papaya pulp extract by using Penicillium purpurogenum. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021;14(5):2417-2425.
19. G N, Nandini G, Ts G, et al. Phytochemical Analysis And Antioxidant Properties of Leaf Extracts of Carica Papaya. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research. 2020:58-62. doi:10.22159/ajpcr.2020.v13i11.38956
20. Lydia E, John S, Mohammed R, Sivapriya T. Investigation on the Phytochemicals present in the Fruit peel of Carica papaya and evaluation of its Antioxidant and Antimicrobial Property. Res j pharmacogn phytochem. 2016;8(4):217.
21. Sundar S, Padmalatha K, Apsana SK, Himaja P, Nandini V, Sirisha D. Antibacterial and Antifungal activity of Carica papaya L seed extracts. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021;14(2):1085-1090.
22. Rohile, Patil, Patil, Desai, Inamdar. Formulation and standardization of asava from Carica papaya. J Adv Pharm Technol Res. April 2021:2211-2215.
23. Ávila S, Kugo M, Silveira Hornung P, Apea-Bah FB, Songok EM, Beta T. Carica papaya seed enhances phytochemicals and functional properties in cornmeal porridges. Food Chem. 2020;323:126808.
24. Trabelsi A, El Kaibi MA, Abbassi A, Horchani A, Chekir-Ghedira L, Ghedira K. Phytochemical Study and Antibacterial and Antibiotic Modulation Activity of Punica granatum (Pomegranate) Leaves. Scientifica. 2020;2020:1-7. doi:10.1155/2020/8271203
25. Zuhrotun Nisa F, Astuti M, Murdiati A, Mubarika Haryana S. Anti-proliferation and Apoptosis Induction of Aqueous Leaf Extract of Carica papaya L. on Human Breast Cancer Cells MCF-7. Pak J Biol Sci. 2017;20(1):36-41.
26. Saraswathi I, Saikarthik J, Senthil Kumar K, Madhan Srinivasan K, Ardhanaari M, Gunapriya R. Impact of COVID-19 outbreak on the mental health status of undergraduate medical students in a COVID-19 treating medical college: a prospective longitudinal study. PeerJ. 2020;8:e10164.
27. Santhakumar P, Roy A, Mohanraj KG, Jayaraman S, Durairaj R. Ethanolic Extract of Capparis decidua Fruit Ameliorates Methotrexate-Induced Hepatotoxicity by Activating Nrf2/HO-1 and PPARγ Mediated Pathways. Ind J Pharm Educ. 2021;55(1s):s265-s274.
28. Nambi G, Kamal W, Es S, Joshi S, Trivedi P. Spinal manipulation plus laser therapy versus laser therapy alone in the treatment of chronic non-specific low back pain: a randomized controlled study. Eur J Phys Rehabil Med. 2018;54(6):880-889.
29. Rajakumari R, Volova T, Oluwafemi OS, Rajesh Kumar S, Thomas S, Kalarikkal N. Grape seed extract-soluplus dispersion and its antioxidant activity. Drug Dev Ind Pharm. 2020;46(8):1219-1229.
30. Clarizia G, Bernardo P. Diverse Applications of Organic-Inorganic Nanocomposites: Emerging Research and Opportunities: Emerging Research and Opportunities. IGI Global; 2019.
31. Prakash AKS, Devaraj E. Cytotoxic potentials of S. cumini methanolic seed kernel extract in human hepatoma HepG2 cells. Environmental Toxicology. 2019;34(12):1313-1319. doi:10.1002/tox.22832
32. Tahmasebi S, Qasim MT, Krivenkova MV, et al. The effects of oxygen-ozone therapy on regulatory T-cell responses in multiple sclerosis patients. Cell Biol Int. 2021;45(7):1498-1509.
33. Wadhwa R, Paudel KR, Chin LH, et al. Anti-inflammatory and anticancer activities of Naringenin-loaded liquid crystalline nanoparticles in vitro. J Food Biochem. 2021;45(1):e13572.
34. Vivekanandhan K, Shanmugam P, Barabadi H, et al. Emerging Therapeutic Approaches to Combat COVID-19: Present Status and Future Perspectives. Front Mol Biosci. 2021;8:604447.
35. Ezhilarasan D. Critical role of estrogen in the progression of chronic liver diseases. Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int. 2020;19(5):429-434.
36. Egbuna C, Mishra AP, Goyal MR. Preparation of Phytopharmaceuticals for the Management of Disorders: The Development of Nutraceuticals and Traditional Medicine. Academic Press; 2020.
37. Kamath SM, Manjunath Kamath S, Jaison D, et al. In vitro augmentation of chondrogenesis by Epigallocatechin gallate in primary Human chondrocytes - Sustained release model for cartilage regeneration. Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology. 2020;60:101992. doi:10.1016/j.jddst.2020.101992
38. Barabadi H, Mojab F, Vahidi H, et al. Green synthesis, characterization, antibacterial and biofilm inhibitory activity of silver nanoparticles compared to commercial silver nanoparticles. Inorganic Chemistry Communications. 2021;129:108647. doi:10.1016/j.inoche.2021.108647
39. Bharath B, Perinbam K, Devanesan S, AlSalhi MS, Saravanan M. Evaluation of the anticancer potential of Hexadecanoic acid from brown algae Turbinaria ornata on HT–29 colon cancer cells. J Mol Struct. 2021;1235(130229):130229.
40. Gowhari Shabgah A, Ezzatifar F, Aravindhan S, et al. Shedding more light on the role of Midkine in hepatocellular carcinoma: New perspectives on diagnosis and therapy. IUBMB Life. 2021;73(4):659-669.
41. Sridharan G, Ramani P, Patankar S, Vijayaraghavan R. Evaluation of salivary metabolomics in oral leukoplakia and oral squamous cell carcinoma. J Oral Pathol Med. 2019;48(4):299-306.
42. R H, Hannah R, Ramani P, et al. CYP2 C9 polymorphism among patients with oral squamous cell carcinoma and its role in altering the metabolism of benzo[a]pyrene. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology. 2020;130(3):306-312. doi:10.1016/j.oooo.2020.06.021
43. J PC, Pradeep CJ, Marimuthu T, Krithika C, Devadoss P, Kumar SM. Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study. Clinical Implant Dentistry and Related Research. 2018;20(4):531-534. doi:10.1111/cid.12609
44. Wahab PUA, Abdul Wahab PU, Madhulaxmi M, et al. Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. 2018;76(6):1160-1164. doi:10.1016/j.joms.2017.12.020
45. Mudigonda SK, Murugan S, Velavan K, Thulasiraman S, Krishna Kumar Raja VB. Non-suturing microvascular anastomosis in maxillofacial reconstruction- a comparative study. Journal of Cranio-Maxillofacial Surgery. 2020;48(6):599-606.
46. Santhakumar P, Roy A, Ganesh M, Selvaraj J, Prathap L, Babu K. Ethanolic extract of Capparis decidua fruit ameliorates methotrexate-induced hepatotoxicity by suppressing oxidative stress and inflammation by modulating nuclear factor-kappa B signaling pathway. Pharmacognosy Magazine. 2021;17(6):143. doi:10.4103/pm.pm_402_20
47. Saha S, Giri TK. Breaking the Barrier of Cancer through Papaya Extract and their Formulation. Anticancer Agents Med Chem. 2019;19(13):1577-1587.
48. Aruoma OI, Somanah J, Bourdon E, Rondeau P, Bahorun T. Diabetes as a risk factor to cancer: functional role of fermented papaya preparation as phytonutraceutical adjunct in the treatment of diabetes and cancer. Mutat Res. 2014;768:60-68.
49. Zyad A, Leouifoudi I, Tilaoui M, Mouse HA, Khouchani M, Jaafari A. Natural Products as Cytotoxic Agents in Chemotherapy against Cancer. Cytotoxicity. 2018. doi:10.5772/intechopen.72744
50. Aggarwal BB, Shishodia S. Suppression of the nuclear factor-kappaB activation pathway by spice-derived phytochemicals: reasoning for seasoning. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2004;1030:434-441.