Coumarins and chalcones have been molecules of considerable interest amongst medicinal chemists owing to their vivid pharmacological potentials including anticancer. A few coumarin-chalcone conjugates (C1-C5) with good antioxidant potential were evaluated for in vitro cytotoxicity against A549 cell lines using MTT assay. The IC50 of the conjugates was calculated after 24 h of treatment. The compounds C3 and C4 with higher mesomeric effects exhibited by the substituents were found to be possessing significant cytotoxic potential with IC50 values of 22.90 ± 2.1, 26.73 ± 6.6 µM respectively.
Cite this article:
Raj Keshwar Prasad, Kavita R. Loksh. Cytotoxicity Evaluation of Chalcone-Coumarin Conjugates Against A549 Cell Line. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(11):5144-7. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00865
Raj Keshwar Prasad, Kavita R. Loksh. Cytotoxicity Evaluation of Chalcone-Coumarin Conjugates Against A549 Cell Line. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(11):5144-7. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00865 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-11-50
1. Lakshmi Devi D, Aswini R, Kothai S. Synthesis and characterization of chalcone-based copolyesters and their anticancer activity. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 2018; 9(4): 1589-1593
2. Mathers CD. Loncar D. Updated projections of global mortality and burden of disease, 2002-2030: data sources, methods, and results. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2005.
3. Hosseinzadeh L. Aliabadi A. Kalantari M. Mostafavi A. Khajouei MR. Synthesis and cytotoxicity evaluation of some new 6-nitro derivatives of thiazole-containing 4-(3H)-quinazolinone. Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2016; 11: 210–218.
4. Sarvmeili N. Jafarian-Dehkordi A. Zolfaghari B. Cytotoxic effects of Pinus eldarica essential oil and extracts on HeLa and MCF-7 cell lines. Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2016; 11: 476–483. doi:10.4103/1735-5362.194887.
5. Abnous K. Manavi H. Mehri S. Alibolandi M. Kamali H. Ghandadi M. et al In vitro evaluation of dihydropyridine-3-carbonitriles as potential cytotoxic agents through PIM-1 protein kinase inhibition. Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2017;12: 196–203. doi:10.4103/1735-5362.207200.
6. Vosooghi M. Yahyavi H. Divsalar K. Shamsa H. Kheirollahi A. Safavi M. et al Synthesis and In vitro cytotoxic activity evaluation of (E)-16-(substituted benzylidene) derivatives of dehydroepiandrosterone. DARU. 2013; 21: 34. https://doi.org/10.1186/2008-2231-21-34.
7. Abonia R. Insuasty D. Castillo J. Synthesis of novel quinoline-2-one based chalcones of potential anti-tumor activity. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 2012; 57: 29–40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmech.2012.08.039.
8. Iqbal H. Prabhakar V. Sangith A. Chandrika B. Balasubramanian R. Synthesis, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant activity of ring-a-monosubstituted chalcone derivatives. Medicinal Chemistry Research. 2014; 23 (10): 4383–4394. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00044-014-1007-z.
9. Adibi H. Mojarrad JS. Asgharloo H. Zarrini G. Synthesis, in vitro antimicrobial and antioxidant activities of chalcone and flavone derivatives holding allylic substitutions. Medicinal Chemistry Research. 2011; 20(8): 1318–1324. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00044-010-9474-3.
10. Shah A. Khan AM. Qureshi R. Ansari FL. Nazar MF. Shah SS. Redox behavior of anticancer chalcone on a glassy carbon electrode and evaluation of its interaction parameters with DNA. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 2008; 9(8): 1424–1434. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms9081424.
11. Quintin J. Desrivot J. Thoret S. Menez PL. Cresteil T. Lewin G. Synthesis and biological evaluation of a series of tangeretin-derived chalcones. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters. 2009; 19(1): 167–169.
12. Sakai T. Eskander RN. Guo Y. Flavokawain B. a kava chalcone induces apoptosis in synovial sarcoma cell lines. Journal of Orthopaedic Research. 2012; 30(7): 1045–1050. https://doi.org/10.1002/jor.22050.
13. Matos MJ. Rodriguez SV. Santana L. Uriarte E. Edfuf CF. Santos Y. Munoz-Crego A. Looking for new targets: simple coumarins as antibacterial agents. Medicinal Chemistry. 2012; 8: 1140-1146. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2174/157340612804075205.
14. Bansal Y. Sethi P. Bansal G. Coumarin: a potential nucleus for anti-inflammatory molecules. Medicinal Chemistry Research. 2013; 22: 3049-3060. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00044-012-0321-6.
15. Swarnakar NK. Jain AK. Singh RP. Godugu C. Das M. Jain S. Oral bioavailability, therapeutic efficacy and reactive oxygen species scavenging properties of coenzyme Q10-loaded polymeric nanoparticles. Biomaterials. 2011; 32: 6860-6866. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biomaterials.2011.05.079.
16. Bhattacharya S. Natural antimutagens: A review. Journal of Medicinal Plants Research. 2011; 5: 116-121.
17. Basanagouda M. Vishwanath B. Barigidad N. Laxmeshwar S. Devaru S. N. Venkatesh N. Synthesis, the structure-activity relationship of iodinated-4-aryloxymethyl-coumarins as potential anti-cancer and anti-mycobacterial agents. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 2014; 74: 225-233. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmech.2013.12.061.
18. Malich G. Markovic B. Winder C. The sensitivity and speciﬁ city of the MTS tetrazolium assay for detecting the in vitro cytotoxicity of 20 chemicals using human cell lines. Toxicology. 1997; 124:179–192. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-483X(97)00151-0.
19. Bahuguna A. Khan I. Bajpai V. Kang S. MTT Assay to Evaluate the Cytotoxic Potential of a Drug. Bangladesh Journal of Pharmacology. 2017; 12(2). Doi:10.3329/bjp.v12i2.30892.
20. Das M. Manna K. Chalcone Scaffold in Anticancer Armamentarium: A Molecular Insight. Journal of Toxicology. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/7651047
21. Klenkar J. Molnar M. Natural and synthetic coumarins as potential anticancer agents. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research. 2015; 7(7): 1223-1238
22. Divekar K. Swamy S. Murugan V. Synthesis, characterization and anticancer activity of some pyrazoline derivative. International Journal of Pharmaceuticals and Phytopharmaceutical Research. 2014; 3(6): 447-450.
23. Coskun D. Tekin S. Sandal S. Coskun MF. Synthesis, Characterization, and Anticancer Activity of New Benzofuran Substituted Chalcones. Journal of Chemistry. Volume 2016, Article ID 7678486, http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2016/7678486.