Ali Forouzanfar, Mehrdad Radvar, Ebrahim Shayesteh, Hamideh Sadat Mohammadipour
email@example.com , Forouzanfar@mums.ac.ir
Ali Forouzanfar1, Mehrdad Radvar2, Ebrahim Shayesteh3, Hamideh Sadat Mohammadipour4
1Associate professor, Department of Periodontology, School of Dentistry, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran.
2Professor, Department of Periodontology, School of Dentistry, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran.
3Post Graduated Dental student, School of Dentistry, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran.
4Assistant Professor, Department of Cosmetic and Restorative Dentistry, School of Dentistry, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 11,
Year - 2022
The alloplastic graft material consisting of Hyrdoxyapatite (HA) and beta-tricalcium phosphate (ß-TCP) in the preservation of ridge volume after tooth extraction can maintain the bone for improve the success of dental implant. This case series evaluated the clinical efficacy of a synthetic material containing HA and ß-TCP (OsvehOss®) in the alveolar ridge preservation of an extraction socket. A total of twenty healthy patients reported for tooth extraction were enrolled in this study. They received extraction socket preservation using OsvehOss® followed by delayed implant placements. After the surgery, they were evaluated after 24, 48 and 168 hours for several clinical parameters, including pain, sinus tract, infection, color change and other inflammatory variables. Data were assessed by Kolmogorov–Smirnov and t-test analysis. Twenty patients containing 14 women (70%) and 6 men (30%) with a range of 22-58 years (36.65±12.65) completed the three measurements. Despite the greater average age of women than men, the t-test analysis showed no significant difference between the mean age of women and men (P = 0.201). No negative results were found for evaluating clinical parameters; therefore, no analytical statics were performed. Also, there was no statistically significant correlation between gender and infection (p = 0.521). Regarding the limitation of this study, it can be concluded the bio material containing HA and ß-TCP (OsvehOss®) can be used for socket preservation before implant placement with no significant clinical complications.
Cite this article:
Ali Forouzanfar, Mehrdad Radvar, Ebrahim Shayesteh, Hamideh Sadat Mohammadipour. Clinical assessment of a synthetic biomaterial containing hydroxyapatite and beta tricalcium phosphate in socket preservation. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(11):5126-1. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00862
Ali Forouzanfar, Mehrdad Radvar, Ebrahim Shayesteh, Hamideh Sadat Mohammadipour. Clinical assessment of a synthetic biomaterial containing hydroxyapatite and beta tricalcium phosphate in socket preservation. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(11):5126-1. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00862 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-11-47
1. Vidhya T, Murugan T. Attitude of General Dental Practitioners towards Periodontal Treatment. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018;11(3):930-2.
2. Bhatt AK, Pant VA, Pandey M. Alveolar Ridge Preservation with Beta-Tricalcium Phosphate Bone Graft and Implant Placement: A Case Report. IJSS case reports and reviews. 2015;1(11):28-31.
3. Jyothi S, Robin PK, Ganapathy D. Periodontal health status of three different groups wearing temporary partial denture. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2017;10(12):4339-42.
4. Kim Y-K, Yun P-Y, Um I-W, Lee H-J, Yi Y-J, Bae J-H, et al. Alveolar ridge preservation of an extraction socket using autogenous tooth bone graft material for implant site development: prospective case series. The journal of advanced prosthodontics. 2014;6(6):521-527.
5. Meenakshi SS, Malaiappan S. Knowledge, Attitude and Practice of Placing Periodontal Dressing (to pack or not to pack) among Periodontists. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019;12(2):799-804.
6. Cosso MG, de Brito Jr RB, Piattelli A, Shibli JA, Zenóbio EG. Volumetric dimensional changes of autogenous bone and the mixture of hydroxyapatite and autogenous bone graft in humans maxillary sinus augmentation. A multislice tomographic study. Clinical oral implants research. 2014;25(11):1251-1256.
7. Bagde AD, Jaju S, Patil P. A review on FEM analysis of mandibular overdenture implant. International Journal of Innovative Research Science Engneering Technology. 2013;2(6):2137-44.
8. Kakar A, Rao BHS, Hegde S, Deshpande N, Lindner A, Nagursky H, et al. Ridge preservation using an in situ hardening biphasic calcium phosphate (β-TCP/HA) bone graft substitute—a clinical, radiological, and histological study. International journal of implant dentistry. 2017;3(1):25.
9. Buser D, Dula K, Hirt HP, Schenk RK. Lateral ridge augmentation using autografts and barrier membranes: a clinical study with 40 partially edentulous patients. Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery. 1996;54(4):420-432.
10. Molly L, Vandromme H, Quirynen M, Schepers E, Adams JL, van Steenberghe D. Bone formation following implantation of bone biomaterials into extraction sites. Journal of periodontology. 2008;79(6):1108-1115.
11. Kattimani VS, Prathigudupu RS, Jairaj A, Khader MA, Rajeev K, Khader AA. Role of Synthetic Hydroxyapatite—In Socket Preservation: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. The Journal of Contemporary Dental Practice. 2019;20(8):988-993.
12. Singh S, Pal A, Mohanty S. Nano Structure of Hydroxyapatite and its modern approach in Pharmaceutical Science. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019;12(3):1463-72.
13. Šupová M. Problem of hydroxyapatite dispersion in polymer matrices: a review. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine. 2009;20(6):1201-1213.
14. Mangano C, Scarano A, Perrotti V, Iezzi G, Piattelli A. Maxillary sinus augmentation with a porous synthetic hydroxyapatite and bovine-derived hydroxyapatite: a comparative clinical and histologic study. International Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Implants. 2007;22(6):980-986.
15. Kühl S, Götz H, Brochhausen C, Jakse N, Filippi A, Kreisler M. The influence of substitute materials on bone density after maxillary sinus augmentation: a microcomputed tomography study. International Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Implants. 2012;27(6):1541-1546.
16. Mangano C, Piattelli A, Mangano A, Mangano F, Mangano A, Iezzi G, et al. Combining scaffolds and osteogenic cells in regenerative bone surgery: a preliminary histological report in human maxillary sinus augmentation. Clinical implant dentistry and related research. 2009;11:e92-e102.
17. Girija C, Sivakumar M. Amalgamation and Characterization of Hydroxyapatite Powders from Eggshell for Functional Biomedical Application. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018;11(10):4242-4.
18. Arts JC, Verdonschot N, Schreurs BW, Buma P. The use of a bioresorbable nano-crystalline hydroxyapatite paste in acetabular bone impaction grafting. Biomaterials. 2006;27(7):1110-1118.
19. Trojani C, Boukhechba F, Scimeca J-C, Vandenbos F, Michiels J-F, Daculsi G, et al. Ectopic bone formation using an injectable biphasic calcium phosphate/Si-HPMC hydrogel composite loaded with undifferentiated bone marrow stromal cells. Biomaterials. 2006;27(17):3256-3264.
20. Safaie YA, Houshyar AA, Sasani N, Khadivi AH, Golestanipour M, Moloudi A, et al. Biocompatibility Evaluation And Clinical Investigation of Novel Synthetic Bone Graft Substitute, Osvehoss® A Prospective, Randomized Study with A 6-Month Follow-UP. 2016;2.
21. Nevins M, Camelo M, De PS, Friedland B, Schenk RK, Parma-Benfenati S. A study of the fate of the buccal wall of extraction sockets of teeth with prominent roots. Primary Dental Care. 2006(3):90.
22. Rezkita F, Wibawa KG, Nugraha AP. Curcumin loaded Chitosan Nanoparticle for Accelerating the Post Extraction Wound Healing in Diabetes Mellitus Patient: A Review. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020;13(2):1039-42.
23. Leventis MD, Fairbairn P, Dontas I, Faratzis G, Valavanis KD, Khaldi L, et al. Biological response to β-tricalcium phosphate/calcium sulfate synthetic graft material: an experimental study. Implant Dentistry. 2014;23(1):37-43.
24. Arenaz-Búa J, Luaces-Rey R, Sironvalle-Soliva S, Otero-Rico A, Charro-Huerga E, Patiño-Seijas B, et al. A comparative study of platelet-rich plasma, hydroxyapatite, demineralized bone matrix and autologous bone to promote bone regeneration after mandibular impacted third molar extraction. Medica Oral Patolologia Oral y Cirugia Bucal. 2010;15(3):e483-489.
25. Shakibaie-M B. Comparison of the effectiveness of two different bone substitute materials for socket preservation after tooth extraction: a controlled clinical study. International Journal of Periodontics & Restorative Dentistry. 2013;33(2):222-228.
26. Tal H, Artzi Z, Kolerman R, Beitlitum I, Goshen G. Augmentation and preservation of the alveolar process and alveolar ridge of bone. Bone Regeneration. 2012:139-184.
27. Al-Fhdawi LS. Tooth Socket Preservation Using Beta Tricalcium Phosphate (β-TCP) Clinical and Experimental Studies. Al-Anbar Medical Journal. 2015;12(1):13-25.
28. Dewi AH, Ana ID. The use of hydroxyapatite bone substitute grafting for alveolar ridge preservation, sinus augmentation, and periodontal bone defect: A systematic review. Heliyon. 2018;4(10):e00884.
29. Ioku Y, Haeniwa H, Kakudo K. Effect of β-tricalcium phosphate and porous hydroxyapatite bone substitutes on bone regeneration in alveolar bone defects around dental implants. Journal of Oral and Maxilofacial Surgery. 2015;49:69-84.
30. ELkarargy A. Alveolar sockets preservation using hydroxyapatite/beta tricalcium phosphate with hyaluronic acid (histomorphometric study). Journal of American Science. 2013;9(1):556-563.
31. Wang T, Li Q, Zhang G-f, Zhou G, Yu X, Zhang J, et al. Comparative evaluation of a biomimic collagen/hydroxyapatite/β-tricaleium phosphate scaffold in alveolar ridge preservation with Bio-Oss Collagen. Frontiers of Materials Science. 2016;10(2):122-133.
32. Von Arx T, Cochran DL, Hermann JS, Schenk RK, Higginbottom FL, Buser D. Lateral ridge augmentation and implant placement: an experimental study evaluating implant osseointegration in different augmentation materials in the canine mandible. International Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Implants. 2001;16(3):343-354.
33. Kim YK, Yun PY, Lim SC, Kim SG, Lee HJ, Ong JL. Clinical evaluations of OSTEON® as a new alloplastic material in sinus bone grafting and its effect on bone healing. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part B: Applied Biomaterials: An Official Journal of The Society for Biomaterials, The Japanese Society for Biomaterials, and The Australian Society for Biomaterials and the Korean Society for Biomaterials. 2008;86(1):270-277.