Context: Humic acid (HA), a naturally occurring chemical compound, is now being studied for medicinal applications. Paclitaxel (PTX), a strong anticancer agent, has a low water solubility, resulting in limited bioavailability following oral administration, improper tissue localisation, and poor therapeutic use. The goal of this study is to see if PTX can be complexed with HA to improve its solubility and bioavailability effectiveness. Materials and procedures: Differential scanning calorimetry, Fourier Transform Infrared spectroscopy, X-ray diffraction, and scanning electron microscopy were used to analyse complexes produced by solvent evaporation in varied weight ratios. Conclusion: Using HA to enhance the solubility and bioavailability of medicines is a beneficial method.
Cite this article:
Sachin D. Rede, Rupal K. Jani. Solubility Enhancement of Paclitaxel by Using Biomaterial. Solubility Enhancement of Paclitaxel by Using Biomaterial. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(11):5089-3. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00855
Sachin D. Rede, Rupal K. Jani. Solubility Enhancement of Paclitaxel by Using Biomaterial. Solubility Enhancement of Paclitaxel by Using Biomaterial. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(11):5089-3. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00855 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-11-40
1. E. M. Peña-Méndez, J. Havel, and J. Patočka, “Humic substance - Compounds of still unknown structure: Applications in agriculture, industry, environment, and biomedicine,” J. Appl. Biomed., vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 13–24, 2005, doi: 10.32725/jab.2005.002.
2. R. Klöcking and B. Helbig, “Humic Substances, Medical Aspects and Applications of,” Biopolym. Online, pp. 3–16, 2001, doi: 10.1002/3527600035.bpol1013.
3. M. A. Mirza, M. N. Alam, and M. Faiyazuddin, “Review Article Shilajit : An Ancient Panacea,” Int. J. Curr. Pharm. Rev. Res., vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 2–11, 2010.
4. M. A. Mirza et al., “Role of humic acid on oral drug delivery of an antiepileptic drug,” Drug Dev. Ind. Pharm., vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 310–319, 2011, doi: 10.3109/03639045.2010.512011.
5. S. Salati, G. Papa, and F. Adani, “Perspective on the use of humic acids from biomass as natural surfactants for industrial applications,” Biotechnol. Adv., vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 913–922, 2011, doi: 10.1016/j.biotechadv.2011.07.012.
6. S. P. Agarwal, S. H. Ansari, and R. R. Karmarkar, “Enhancement of the dissolution rate of ketoconazole through a novel complexation with humic acid extracted from shilajit,” Asian J. Chem., vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 380–388, 2008.
7. A. Shariff, M. PK, P. KLK, and M. M, “Entrapment of andrographolide in cross-linked alginate pellets: II. Physicochemical characterization to study the pelletization of andrographolide.,” Pak. J. Pharm. Sci., vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 9–15, 2007.
8. M. Laplante and A. K. Mehrotra, “An Investigation of the Interactions between Organic Contaminants and Soil Humic Acids Using DSC,” Adv. Environ. Res., 1998, doi: 10.11575/PRISM/15110.
9. S. Samios, T. Lekkas, A. Nikolaou, and S. Golfinopoulos, “Structural investigations of aquatic humic substances from different watersheds,” Desalination, vol. 210, no. 1–3, pp. 125–137, 2007, doi: 10.1016/j.desal.2006.05.038.
10. M. A. Mirza, N. Ahmad, S. P. Agarwal, D. Mahmood, M. K. Anwer, and Z. Iqbal, “Comparative evaluation of humic substances in oral drug delivery,” Results Pharma Sci., vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 16–26, 2011, doi: 10.1016/j.rinphs.2011.06.001.
11. E. Montoneri et al., “Humic acid-like matter isolated from green urban wastes. Part I: Structur and surfactant properties,” BioResources, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 123–141, 2008, doi: 10.15376/biores.3.1.123-141.
12. C. Gamboa and A. F. Olea, “Association of cationic surfactants to humic acid: Effect on the surface activity,” Colloids Surfaces A Physicochem. Eng. Asp., vol. 278, no. 1–3, pp. 241–245, 2006, doi: 10.1016/j.colsurfa.2005.12.026.
13. Kiran Kumar Buralla, Varadarajan Parthasarathy. Central Composite Design based Development and Validation of an RP-HPLC Method for Paclitaxel in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Dosage Form. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(10):4895-4902. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00861.6
14. V Kiran Kumar, N Appala Raju, Namratha Rani, JVLN Seshagiri Rao, T Satyanarayana. The Estimation of Paclitaxel in Parenterals by RP-HPLC. Asian J. Research Chem. 2(1): Jan.-March, 2009; Page 90-92.
15. Avinash B Thalkari, Pawan N Karwa, Krushna K Zambare, Nagesh S Tour, Priyanka S Chopane. Paclitaxel Against Cancer: A new trademarked drug. Res. J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochem. 2019; 11(3):123-128. doi: 10.5958/0975-4385.2019.00021.9
16. Muddukrishna B.S. Krishnamurthy Bhat, Gautham G. Shenoy. Preparation and Solid State Characterization of Paclitaxel Cocrystals. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 7(1): Jan. 2014; Page 64-69.
17. H. Umamahesvari. Fabrication and Character Study of the Anticancer Drug Paclitaxel (Taxol): PLGA nanoparticles - The benefaction for the modern therapeutic area. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(1): 265-269 . doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00054.2
18. B.A. Bhairav, J.K. Bachhav, R.B. Saudagar. Review on Solubility Enhancement Techniques. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2016; 6(3): 147-152. doi: 10.5958/2231-5691.2016.00025.3
19. Dode Raj H., Mogal Prasad S., Pagar Ujwala N., Pansare Jagruti J., Surawase Rajendra K. Nanosuspension a Promising Tool for Solubility Enhancement: A Review. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2021; 11(3):252-8. doi: 10.52711/2231-5713.2021.00042
20. Hanaa A. Fattah, Hammad M. A., Nagia El-Megrab, Waleed Barakat , Ahmed Samir. Modulation of Clonazepam Solubility using Solid Dispersion Technique Improves its Solubility and Bioavailability. Asian J. Research Chem. 5(4): April 2012; Page 446-455.
21. Priyanka R. Patil, Rohan R. Vakhariya, C. S. Magdum. Solubility as well as Bioavailability Enhancement Techniques. Res. J. Pharma. Dosage Forms and Tech.2019; 11(2):105-110. doi: 10.5958/0975-4377.2019.00016.8
22. Nikam Shreya Pradeep. A Review: Increasing Solubility of Poorly Soluble Drugs, by Solid Dispersion Technique. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 4(12): Dec. 2011; Page 1933-1940.
23. Nikita N. Chauhan, Niraj V. Patel, Shakti J. Suthar, Jayvadan K. Patel, Manish P. Patel. Micronization of BCS Class–II Drugs by Various Approaches for Solubility Enhancement – A Review. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 5(8): August 2012; Page 999-1005.