X. Asbin Mary, M. Syed Ali, V. Anuradha, N. Yogananth, J. Vardhana, P. Vinoth Kumar
X. Asbin Mary1,3, M. Syed Ali1*, V. Anuradha2, N. Yogananth1, J. Vardhana3, P. Vinoth Kumar4
1Post Graduate and Research Department of Biotechnology, Mohamed Sathak College of Arts and Science, Sholinganallur, Chennai - 600119, Tamil Nadu, India.
2Post Graduate and Research Department of Biochemistry , Mohamed Sathak College of Arts and Science, Sholinganallur, Chennai - 600119, Tamil Nadu, India.
3Department of Biotechnology, Vels Institute of Science Technology and Advanced Studies, Chennai-600043, Tamilnadu, India.
4Department of Microbiology, Nehru Arts and Science College, Coimbatore - 641105, Tamil Nadu, India.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 11,
Year - 2022
The tropical red mangrove Rhizophora mucronata (Lam.) has been widely used as an astringent, antiseptic, antibacterial, anti-ulcerogenic, and anti-inflammatory agent in traditional Oriental medicine. Cancer is a concept to be characterized by differentiating features, uncontrolled proliferation of cells, invasion of abnormal cells into healthy cells, and their spread through the bloodstream to vital organs. The key programmed cell death mechanism for silently killing unwanted and detrimental cells during embryonic development, tissue homeostasis, and immune regulation is apoptosis. Our research investigated the activation of apoptosis by the methanolic extract of R. mucronata and the expression of apoptotic and anti-apoptotic proteins. The cell cycle and apoptosis were observed by the Annexin V/PI-flow cytometry technique. The MTT test showed a strong cytotoxic effect on the cell lines of MCF-7. In MCF-7 cells, the sample demonstrated successful cell cycle arrest. More number of MCF7 cells get arrested in Sub G0/G1. In our study, FITC Rabbit Anti-Active Caspase 3 is used as a fluorochrome. It can be inferred from our study that good therapeutic potential against Human Breast derived diseases can be compared to the std control and the compound samples.
Cite this article:
X. Asbin Mary, M. Syed Ali, V. Anuradha, N. Yogananth, J. Vardhana, P. Vinoth Kumar. Induction of Apoptosis by Methanolic Extract of Rhizophora mucronata Lam on MCF-7 Cell Line. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(11):5021-5. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00844
X. Asbin Mary, M. Syed Ali, V. Anuradha, N. Yogananth, J. Vardhana, P. Vinoth Kumar. Induction of Apoptosis by Methanolic Extract of Rhizophora mucronata Lam on MCF-7 Cell Line. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(11):5021-5. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00844 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-11-29
1. Dennis RA, Mans, and Irving ER: Anticancer activity of uncommon medicinal plants from the republic of Suriname- traditional claims, preclinical findings, and potential clinical applicability of cancer. Pharmacognosy - Medicinal Plants 2018; 1-35. DOI:10.5772/intechopen.82280
2. Chimplee S, Graidist P, Srisawat T, Sukrong S, Bissanum R, and Kanokwiroon K: Anti breast cancer potential of frullanolide from Grangea maderaspatana plant by inducing apoptosis. Oncology Letters 2019; 17: 5283-91. DOI: 10.3892/ol.2019.10209
3. Parkin, D. M. The Global Burden of Cancer. Seminar in Cancer Biology 1998 , 8: 219- 235. DOI: 10.1006/scbi.1998.0080
4. Sharmin S, Kabir MT, Islam MN, Jamiruddin MR, Rahman I, Rahman A and Hossain M: Evaluation of antioxidant, thrombolytic and cytotoxic potentials of methanolic extract of Aporosa wallichii hook. f. leaves. An Unexplored Phytomedicine. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science 2018; 8: 051-056. DOI: 10.7324/JAPS.2018.8709
5. Duke, James A (1983). "Rhizophora mucronata Lam". Handbook of Energy Crops . Retrieved 2012-10-08.
6. Bandaranayake, W.M., 2002. Bioactivities, bioactive compounds, and chemical constituents of mangrove plants. Wetland Ecology and Managment 2002; 10, 421–452 DOI:10.1023/A:1021397624349.
7. S. Elmore,“Apoptosis: a review of programmed cell death,” Toxicologic Pathology 2007 ; 35, 4, 495–516. DOI: 10.1080/01926230701320337.
8. L. Portt, G. Norman, C. Clapp, M. Greenwood, and M. T. Greenwood, “Anti-apoptosis and cell survival: a review,” BBA—Molecular Cell Research, 2011; 1813, 1,238–259. DOI: 10.1016/j.bbamcr.2010.10.010
9. L. Ouyang, Z. Shi, S. Zhao et al., “Programmed cell death pathways in cancer: a review of apoptosis, autophagy and programmed necrosis,” Cell Proliferation 2012 , vol. 45, no. 6, pp. 487–498. DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-2184.2012.00845.x
10. Vermes I, Haanen C, Steffens-Nakken H. A novel assay for apoptosis. Flow cytometric detection of phosphatidylserine expression on early apoptotic cells using fluorescein-labeled Annexin V. Journal of Immunological Methods. 1995; 184(1):39-51. DOI: 10.1016/0022-1759(95)00072-i.
11. Horiuchi N, Nakagawa K, Sasaki Y, Minato K, Fujiwara Y, Nezu K, et al. 1988.In vitro antitumor activity of mitomycin C derivative (RM- 49) and a new anticancer antibiotic (FK973) against lung cancer cell lines determined by tetrazolium dye (MTT) assay. Cancer Chemotherapy Pharmacology; 22: 246-50. DOI: 10.1007/BF00273419.
12. X.Asbin Mary, Syed Ali, V.Anuradha, S.Moorthi. In Vitro Cytotoxicity Effect Of Rhizophora Mucronata Methanolic Leaf Extract Against MCF-7 Cell Line. International Journal of Research and Analytical Reviews2019; 6(2): 566-572. E-ISSN 2348-1269, P- ISSN 2349-5138
13. Cell Cycle Analysis by Propidium Iodide Staining: Flow Cytometry Core Facility, CameliaBotnar Laboratories, Room P3.016 UCL Institute of Child Health. 30 Guilford Street, London.
14. Zainab A. Al -Kubaisi, Hanady S. Al-Shmgani, Manal Jabber Salman. Evaluation of In vivo and In vitro protective effects of quercetin on Lipopolysaccharide-induced Inflammation and Cytotoxicology. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020; 13(8):3897-3902. DOI: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00690.3
15. Williams, A.B., Schumacher, B., 2016. p53 in the DNA-damage-repair process. Cold Spring Harbor Perspectives in Medicine 2016; 2;6(5):a026070. DOI: 10.1101/cshperspect.a026070.
16. Parrish, A.B., Freel, C.D., Kornbluth, S., 2013. Cellular mechanisms controlling caspase activation and function. Cold Spring Harbor Perspectives in Biology 2013;5:a008672, DOI: 10.1101/cshperspect.a008672
17. Dian Anggraini, Hendy Hendarto, Widjiati. Pomegranate Fruit extract Administration in mice induced by Formaldehyde to Folliculogenesis Observation and Caspase-3 Expression. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2018; 11(2):773-776. DOI: 10.5958/0974-360X.2018.00146.4
18. Hendrian D. Soebagjo, Susy Fatmariyanti, Paulus Sugianto, Bambang Purwanto, Ugroseno Y. Bintoro, Endang R. Kusumowidagdo. Detection of the Calcium and ATP Role in Apoptosis of Retinoblastoma Culture Cells through Caspase-3 Expression. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2019; 12(3): 58, DOI: 10.5958/0974-360X.2019.00219.1