Ashwin Prakash Karurkar, Anuradha Venkatraman, Syed Ali Mohammed Yacoob, Asrar Ahmed, Mohamed Sihabudeen
Ashwin Prakash Karurkar1, Anuradha Venkatraman1, Syed Ali Mohammed Yacoob2, Asrar Ahmed3, Mohamed Sihabudeen3
1PG and Research Department of Biochemistry, Mohamed Sathak College of Arts and Science, Sholinganallur, Chennai-119.
2PG and Research Department of Biotechnology, Mohamed Sathak College of Arts and Science, Sholinganallur, Chennai-119.
3PG & Research Department of Chemistry, Jamal Mohamed College, Trichy-620020.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 11,
Year - 2022
Ethylene diamine is an organic compound which is a strongly basic amine and is used to conjugate Piperonal, an heterocyclic aldehyde. The ethylene diamine conjugated piperonal was prepared using simple method and the antioxidant assays like DPPH, ABTS, Ferric reducing assay and several other methods were carried out through in vitro assays. The experiments were carried out with unconjugated piperonal and compared with the activity shown by the test sample. The overall result shows a good antioxidant effect when compared with various standard drugs such as ascorbic acid, gallic acid, BHT etc., Hence, the results proved that, conjugated piperonal can be used as antioxidants in scavenging free radicals generated as consequence of various disease condition. Further, the synthesised compound can be explored for various experimental studies to confirm their role in combating various diseases.
Cite this article:
Ashwin Prakash Karurkar, Anuradha Venkatraman, Syed Ali Mohammed Yacoob, Asrar Ahmed, Mohamed Sihabudeen. Chemically synthesized Schiffs base Conjugated Piperonal as novel Antioxidants and Scavengers of Free Radicals. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(11):4887-3. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00838
Ashwin Prakash Karurkar, Anuradha Venkatraman, Syed Ali Mohammed Yacoob, Asrar Ahmed, Mohamed Sihabudeen. Chemically synthesized Schiffs base Conjugated Piperonal as novel Antioxidants and Scavengers of Free Radicals. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(11):4887-3. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00838 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-11-23
1. Fahlbusch KG, Hammerschmidt FJ, Panten J, Pickenhagen W, Schatkowski D, Bauer K, et al. Flavors and fragrances: in Ullmann’s Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry, (Weinheim: Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH). 2003. 341–358. doi: 10.1002/14356007.a11_141.
2. Gilla G, Anumula RR, Aalla S, Vurimidi H, Ghanta MR. Synthesis and characterization of related substances and metabolite of tadalafil, a PDE-5 inhibitor. Organic Communications. 2013; 6(1): 12–22.
3. Fatiadi A, Schaffer R. An Improved Procedure for Synthesis of DL-4-Hydroxy-3-methoxymandelic Acid (DL-"Vanillyl"-mandelic Acid, VMA. Journal of Research of the National Bureau of Standards Section A. 1974; 78A(3): 411–412.
4. Chandrahas NK, Ragini GB, Anand VM. Synthesis and Antioxidant Activity of Some Flavone derivatives. Asian J. Research Chem. 2010, 3(1); Page 139-141.
5. Kalpana Divekar, Jani Hardik, Brahmani Priyadarshini S. Synthesis and Biological Evaluation of Some Novel Pyrimidine Derivatives. Asian J. Research Chem. 2011, 4(1): 64-67.
6. Shulgin AT, Shulgin A. Phenethylamines I Have Known And Loved: A Chemical Love Story. Transform Press. Lafayette, California, 1991, 100.
7. Echevarria A, Nascimento MD, Gerônimo V, Miller J, Giesbrecht A. NMR Spectroscopy, Hammett Correlations and Biological Activity of Some Schiff Bases Derived from Piperonal. J. Braz. Chem. Soc. 1999; 10: 60-64.
8. Eller K, Henkes E, Rossbacher R, Höke H. Amines, Aliphatic: in Ullmann's Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry, Wiley-VCH Verlag, Weinheim. 2005.
9. Prakash CR, Raja S, Saravanan G, Dinesh Kumar P, Panneer Selvam T. Synthesis and Evaluation of Antioxidant Activities of Some Novel Isatin Derivatives and Analogs. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2011, 1(4): 140-143.
10. Pavia DL, Lampman GM, Kriz GS, Engel RG. Introduction to organic laboratory techniques: a smallscale approach. 2nd ed. Brooks/Cole-Thomson Learning, Belmont (CA), 2005.
11. Rajegowda HR, Raghavendra KP, Udaya Bhanu, Suresh Doddavenkatanna. Synthesis, Characterization and in vitro Antioxidant Activity of New Chiral N-boc Organotellurium Compounds, (CH3)3OC(O)NHCH(R)C(O)NHCH2-CH2Te-C6H4-4-OCH3, Containing Carbamate and Peptide Groups. J. Braz. Chem. Soc. 2016; 27(7): 1157-1164.
12. Samina Aslam, Samia Khakwani, Nadia Asif, Tahira Saleem, Tehseen Gull, Misbahul Ain Khan. Synthesis, Antibacterial and Antioxidant Activity of 3-(5-Aryl)-1-(3-nitrophenyl) prop-2-en-1-one. Asian J. Research Chem. 2016; 9(10): 435-440.
13. Sushil Dagadu Patil, Kardele Vinayak, Balsubraniyan, Shaikh Anwar. Docking Studies and Synthesis of Novel Flavones Screened for Biological Activities like Anticancer and Antioxidant Activity. Asian J. Research Chem. 2015; 8(6): 399-406.
14. Anuradha V, Ashwin Prakash Karurkar, Asrar ahmed, Mohamed Sihabudeen and Syed Ali. Spectral characterization and invitro Antiinflammatory potential of an EDP Schiff base. Research journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences. 2019; 10(6): 99-104.
15. Blois MS. Antioxidant Determinations by the Use of a Stable Free Radical. Nature. 1958; 181: 1199-1200.
16. Re R, Pellegrini N, Proteggente A, Pannala A, Yang M, Rice-Evans C. Antioxidant activity applying an improved ABTS radical cation-decolorizing assay. Free Radical Biology and Medicine. 1999; 26: 1231-1237.
17. Ruch RJ, Cheng SJ, Klaunig JE. Prevention of cytotoxicity and inhibition of intracellular communication by antioxidant catechins isolated from Chinese green tea. Carcinogenesis. 1989; 10: 1003-1008.
18. Garrat DC. The Quantitative Analysis of Drugs, Chapman and Hall, Tokyo, Japan, 3rd edition, 1964; 456-458.
19. Indu H, Seenivasan R. In Vitro Antioxidant Activity of Selected Seaweeds from Southeast Coast of India. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2013; 5(2): 474-484.
20. Winterbourn CC, Hawkins RE, Brian M, Carrell RW. The estimation of red cell superoxide dismutase activity. Journal of Laboratory Clinical Medicine. 1975; 85(2): 337-341.
21. Oyaizu M. Studies on product of browning reaction prepared from glucoseamine. Japanese Journal of Nutrition. 1986; 44: 307-315.
22. Ohkowa M, Ohisi N, Yagi K. Assay of lipid peroxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid. Analytical Biochemistry. 1979; 95(2): 351-358.
23. Adithya ES, Lakshmi MS, Christabel PH, Sasikumar JM. In vitro antioxidant, anti-lipid peroxidation activities and HPLC analysis of methanol extracts from bark and stem of Mahonia leschenaultia takeda. Asian Journal of Plant Science and Research. 2013; 3(2): 116-126.
24. Ruberto G, Baratta MT, Deans SG, Dorman HJ. Antioxidant and antimicrobial activity of Foeniculum vulgare and Crithmum maritimum essential oils. Planta Med. 2000; 66: 687–693.
25. Badmus JA, Odunola OA, Yekeen TA, Gbadegesin AM, Fatoki JO, Godo MO, Oyebanjo KS et al. Evaluation of antioxidant, antimutagenic, and lipid peroxidation inhibitory activities of selected fractions of Holarrhena floribunda (G. Don) leaves. ACTA Biochimica Polonica. 2013; 60(3): 435-442.
26. Yamaguchi T, Takamura H, Matoba T, Terao J, HPLC method for evaluation of the free radical-scavenging activity of foods by using 1,1,-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl. Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 1998; 62: 1201– 1204.
27. Shom Prakash Kushwaha, Sunil Kumar Rawat, Pavan Kumar, Abhishek , Kishu Tripathi. Coupling Antioxidant and Antidiabetic assets of 2, 4-Thiazolidinedione Derivatives. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2011, 1(4): 71-73.
28. Ankush Garg, Radhika Maheshwari, Pooja Chawla, Shubhini A. Saraf. Free Radical Scavenging Activity of Novel 5-Substituted Arylidene-3-Substituted-Benzyl-Thiazolidine-2, 4-Diones. Asian J. Research Chem. 2010, 3(3): 528-530.
29. Hochestein P, Atallah, AS. The nature of oxidant and antioxidant systems in the inhibition of mutation and cancer. Mutat. Res. 1988; 202: 363-375.
30. Paula R, Serrano SHP, Tavares LC. Aspects of bio activity and toxicity of nitrocompounds. Quim. 2009; 32: 1013-1020.
31. Tebbets B, Stewart D, Lawry S, Nett J, Nantel A. Identification and characterization of antifungal compounds using a Saccharomyces cerevisiae reporter bioassay. PloSONE. 2012; 7: e3621. doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0036021
32. Bishnoi A, Singh S, Tiwari AK, Srivastava K, Raghuvir R, Tripathi CM. Synthesis, characterization and biological activity of new cyclization products of 3-(4-substituted benzylidene)-2H-pyrido[1,2-a]pyrimidine 2,4-(3H)-diones. Journal of Chemical Sciences. 2013; 125 (2): 305-312.
33. Sachin Malik, Ashish Choudhary. Anti-Oxidant Activity of Novel 5-Substituted Arylidene-3-Substituted-Benzyl-Thiazolidine-2, 4-Diones. Asian J. Research Chem. 2011, 4(1): 120-122.
34. Shakti Prasanna Sahoo, Bharat Bhusan Subudhi, Rachana Swain. Synthesis and Evaluation of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity of Conjugates of Amino Acids with N-Aroyl- N, N′-Dicyclohexyl Urea. Asian J. Research Chem. 2011, 4(9): 1485-1488.
35. Prashant N. Ubale, Sambhaji P. Vartale, Sandip G. Sontakke. Synthesis and antioxidant activity of some new substituted pyrazolo [4, 5-e]-4H-pyrimido[2,3-b] benzimidazoles. Asian J. Research Chem. 2017, 10(4):573-576.
36. Meriga B, Parim B, Chunduri VR et al. Correction to: Antiobesity potential of Piperonal: promising modulation of body composition, lipid profiles and obesogenic marker expression in HFD-induced obese rats. Nutr Metab (Lond). 2017; 14: 76. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12986-017-0232-0
37. Vidhya KR, Syed Shafi S. Synthesis, Characterization and Antimicrobial studies of novel 2-Pyrazoline derivatives. International Journal of ChemTech Research. 2014; 6 (4): 2558-2563.
38. Mathew A, Mary Sheeja TL, Arun kumar T, Radha K. Design, Synthesis and Biological evaluation of Pyrazole analogues of Natural Piperine. Hygeia: Journal for drugs and medicines. 2011; 3(2): 48-56.