Background: Nigella sativa is reported to have an antioxidant effect, so allegedly has anti-diabetic effect. Objectives:The aim of this study is to explore ethyl acetate fraction of ethanol extract of Nigela sativa Linn. (EANS) effect toward blood glucose level in diabetic rats induced by alloxan. Materials and Methods: Twenty five male rats (150–200?g). The rats were divided into five groups in which there were 5 rats in each group. Group I was treated by glibenclamide 0.63 mg/kg bw (positive control); Group II was treated by aqueous 2,5 ml/200 g bw (negative control); and Groups III; IV and V were treated by ethyl acetate of ethanol extract of N. sativa seed at a dosage of 250 mg/kg bw; 500 mg/kg bw and 1000mg/kg bw respectively. Results: The results of this study are EANS can reduced blood glucose level on diabetic rats induced by alloxan. Nigella sativa has potencies anti-diabetic effect. Conclusion: Nigella sativa Linn. seed has potency as anti-diabetic candidate.
Cite this article:
Em Sutrisna, Tanti azizah, Sri Wahyuni. Potency of Nigella sativa linn. Seed as antidiabetic (preclinical study). Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(1):381-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00062
Em Sutrisna, Tanti azizah, Sri Wahyuni. Potency of Nigella sativa linn. Seed as antidiabetic (preclinical study). Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(1):381-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00062 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-1-62
1. Maritim AC, Sanders RA, Watkins JB, Diabetes, oxidative stress, and antioxidants: a review. J Biochem Mol Toxicol. 2003;17(1):24-38
2. Wright E, Jr, Scism-Bacon JL, and Glass LC. Oxidative stress in type 2 diabetes: the role of fasting and postprandial glycaemia. Int J Clin Pract. 2006; 60(3): 308–314
3. Nishikawa T, Edelstein D, Du XL, Yamagishi S, Matsumura T, Kaneda Y, et al. Normalizing mitochondrial superoxide production blocks three pathways of hyperglycemic damage. Nature. 2000; 404:787–90.
4. Shradha B & Sisodia S S. Diabetes, dyslipidemia, antioxidant and status of oxidative stress. IJRAP 2010; 1 (1): 33-42
5. Lobo V, Patil A, Phatak A, and Chandra N. Free radicals, antioxidants and functional foods: Impact on human health, Pharmacogn Rev. 2010; 4(8): 118–126.
6. Badary OA, Abdel-Naim AB, Abdel-Wahab MH, Hamada FM., The influence of thymoquinone on doxorubicin-induced hyperlipidemic nephropathy in rats. Toxicology, 2000; 143: 219-226.
7. Kanter M, Demir H, Karakaya C, Ozbek H., Gastroprotective activity of Nigella sativa L oil and its constituent, thymoquinone against acute alcoholinduced gastric mucosal injury in rats. World J Gastroenterol, 2005; 11: 6662-6666.
8. Nagi MN, Alam K, Badary OA, al-Shabanah OA, al-Sawaf HA, et al., Thymoquinone protects against carbon tetrachloride hepatotoxicity in mice via an antioxidant mechanism. Biochem Mol Biol Int, 1999; 47: 153-159
9. Khan MA, Chen HC, Tania M, Zhang DZ, Anticancer activities of Nigella sativa (black cumin). Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med, 2011; 8: 226-232
10. Sent N, Kar Y, T Y., Antioxidant activities of black cumin (nigella sativa l.) seeds cultivating in different regions of turkey.J of Food Biochem.2010; 34(1): 105-119
11. Em Sutrisna, Maryati, Ika Trisharyanti, Suprapto, Devi Usdiana, Tsaniyatul Husna, Rahmat Rinaldy, Irhamadi Malik, Antidiabetic potencies of Phyllanthus niruri Linn and thin-layer chromatography profile, DIT, 2019, 11(10): 2339-2341
12. Mojab F, Kamalinejad M, Naysaneh G, Hamid RV. Phytochemical screening of some species of Iranian Plants. Iranian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2003;2(2):77-82.
13. Zaoui A, Cherrah Y, Alaoui K, Mahassine N, Amarouch H, Hassar M. Effects of Nigella sativa fi xed oil on blood homeostasis in rat. J Ethnopharmacol 2002; 79:23-6.
14. Hawsawi ZA, Ali BA, Bamosa AO. Effect of Nigella sativa (black seed) and thymoquinone on blood glucose in albino rats. Ann Saudi Med 2001; 21:242-4
15. El Rabey HA, Al-Seeni MN, and Bakhashwain AS, The Antidiabetic Activity of Nigella sativa and Propolis on Streptozotocin-Induced Diabetes and Diabetic Nephropathy in Male Rats, Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2017; 2017: 5439645.
16. Ali Mohammadi S, Hobbenaghi, Javanbakht J, Kheradmand D, Mortezaee R, Tavakoli M, Khadivar F, and Akbari H, Protective and antidiabetic effects of extract from Nigella sativa on blood glucose concentrations against streptozotocin (STZ)-induced diabetic in rats: an experimental study with histopathological evaluation, Diagn Pathol. 2013; 8: 137
17. Bensiameur-Touati K, Kacimi G, El-Mehdi Haffaf, Berdja S and Aouichat-Bouguerra S, In Vivo Subacute Toxicity and Antidiabetic Effect of Aqueous Extract of Nigella sativa, Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, Volume 2017 |Article https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/8427034
18. Omer M Khalid, Mohamed Eltayeb, Ibrahim A Ali, Omer A Musa, EFect of Oral Nigella Sativa on Fasting Blood Glucose in Adults, Int J Diabetes Metab Disord, 2019, 4(1): 1-3
19. Shuid AN, Mohamed N, Mohamed IN, Othman F, Suhaimi F, et al. Nigella sativa: A potential antiosteoporotic agent. Evid Based Compl Altern Med. 2012: 696230.
20. Majdalawieh AF, Hmaidan R, Carr RI (2010) Nigella sativa modulates splenocyte proliferation, Th1/Th2 cytokine prole, macrophage function and NK anti-tumor activity. J Ethnopharmacol 131: 268-275.
21. Ghonime M, Eldomany R, Abdelaziz A, Soliman H, Evaluation of immunomodulatory effect of three herbal plants growing in Egypt. Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol, 2011, 33: 141-145.
22. Mohammad Reza Khazdair, The Protective Effects of Nigella sativa and Its Constituents on Induced Neurotoxicity. Journal of Toxicology, 2015: 84182
23. Ahmad, B.; Tariq, M.; Uppal, A.M.; Naveed, A.K. Effects of Nigella sativa oil on some blood parameters in type 2 diabetes mellitus patients. Asian J. Chem. 2009, 21, 5373–5381.
24. Bamosa, A.O.; Kaatabi, H.; Lebdaa, F.M.; Elq, A.M.; Al-Sultanb, A. Effect of Nigella sativa seeds on the glycemic control of patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Indian J. Physiol. Pharmacol. 2010, 54, 344–354.
25. El-Shamy, K.A.; Mosa, M.M.A.; El-Nabarawy, S.K.; El-Qattan, M. Effect of Nigella sativa tea in type 2-diabetic patients as regards glucose homeostasis, liver and kidney functions. J. Appl. Sci. Res. 2011, 7, 1982–1991
26. Hosseini, M.S.; Mirkarimi, S.A.; Amini, M.; Mohtashami, R.; Kianbakht, S.; Fallah Huseini, H. Effects of Nigella sativa L. Seed Oil in Type II Diabetic Patients: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled Clinical Trial. JMPIR 2013, 3, 93–99.
27. Kaatabi, H.; Bamosa, A.O.; Badar, A.; Al-Elq, A.; Abou-Hozaifa, B.; Lebda, F.; Al-Khadra, A.; Al-Almaie, S. Nigella sativa improves glycemic control and ameliorates oxidative stress in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: Placebo controlled participant blinded clinical trial. PLoS ONE 2015, 10, e0113486.
28. Bamosa, A.; Kaatabi, H.; Badar, A.; Al-Khadra, A.; Al Elq, A.; Abou-Hozaifa, B.; Lebda, F.; Al-Almaie, S. Nigella sativa: A potential natural protective agent against cardiac dysfunction in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. J. Fam. Community Med. 2015, 22, 88–95.
29. Heshmati, J.; Namazi, N. Effects of black seed (Nigella sativa) on metabolic parameters in diabetes mellitus: A systematic review. Complement. Ther. Med. 2015, 23, 275–282.
30. Badary, O.A, Taha, R.A. Gamal el-Din, A.M., Abdel-Wahab, M.H. Thymoquinone is a potent superoxide anion scavenger. Drug Chem. Toxicol. 2003, 26, 87–98
31. Deepak Kadam and S. S. Lele, Extraction, characterization and bioactive properties of Nigella sativa seedcake, J Food Sci Technol. 2017 Nov; 54(12): 3936–3947.
32. Jerrine J, Tahseen A, Rajasekar T, Radhakrishnan M, Manigundan K, Swarnalatha L, Anbarasu S, Antioxidant and Anticancer Potential of Nigella sativa Seeds, Der Pharma Chemica, 2017, 9(22): 106-111