Taras V. Upyr, Larysa V. Lenchyk, Mykola А. Komisarenko, Ganjina F. Navruzzoda, Andriy M. Komisarenko, Tetiana P. Osolodchenko, Svitlana V. Ponomarenko
Taras V. Upyr1, Larysa V. Lenchyk*1, Mykola А. Komisarenko1, Ganjina F. Navruzzoda2, Andriy M. Komisarenko1, Tetiana P. Osolodchenko3, Svitlana V. Ponomarenko3
1National University of Pharmacy, Kharkiv, Ukraine.
2Tajik National University Dushanbe, Tajikistan.
3Ilya Mechnikov Institute of Microbiology and Immunology, Kharkiv, Ukraine.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2022
Prunus domestica - is one of the main fruit crops in Ukraine with a production of about 200 tons per year. In the world over then 2000 varieties of this plant are grown. In Ukraine, the following varieties of plums are zoned: Anna Shpet, Renklod Altana, Ugorka Stanley, Ugorka Italian, Ugorka Azhanska, and others. This plant is the valuable source of polysaccharides and phenolic compounds. That is why plum fruits are a part of many dietary supplements with laxative and anti-inflammatory activity in treating chronic constipation.
In our previous research, we studied the chemical composition of alcohol extracts and polysaccharide complex of plum fruits. Following types of pharmacological activities: diuretic, membrane stabilizing, anticoagulant laxative, hepatoprotective, were confirmed in the analysed substances. In the article, we present the results of a study of the chemical composition of the plum presscake that remained after the plum juice was obtained. The composition of phenolic compounds was analyzed by using TLC, SF and HPLC methods. Antimicrobial activity of the alcohol extract of plum presscake was investigated by agar diffusion method. The results obtained indicate the possibility of complex processing of raw materials and obtaining new antimicrobial drugs from the presscake of plum juice production.
Cite this article:
Taras V. Upyr, Larysa V. Lenchyk, Mykola А. Komisarenko, Ganjina F. Navruzzoda, Andriy M. Komisarenko, Tetiana P. Osolodchenko, Svitlana V. Ponomarenko. Study of Phenolic Compounds of Prunus Domestica Presscake and Antimicrobial Activity of Its Extract. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(1):375-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00061
Taras V. Upyr, Larysa V. Lenchyk, Mykola А. Komisarenko, Ganjina F. Navruzzoda, Andriy M. Komisarenko, Tetiana P. Osolodchenko, Svitlana V. Ponomarenko. Study of Phenolic Compounds of Prunus Domestica Presscake and Antimicrobial Activity of Its Extract. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(1):375-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00061 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-1-61
1. Food and Agriculture Organization Corporate Statistical Database. Available from: URL: http://www.fao.org.
2. Compendium Medicines: A Handbook. Available from: URL: https://compendium.com.ua.
3. Food supplements «Helaplant». Available from: URL: http://www.helaplant.ua/ru/dlya-normalizatsii-massy-tela-predotvrashcheniya-i-ustraneniya-zaporov/normolaks.html.
4. Dubrovskaya O. Yu. Biochemical composition of fruits of varieties and forms of plum and isolation of the best genotypes for breeding use and processing. Dis. cand. agricultural. sciences: 06.01.05. Science City, Michurinsk. 2015.
5. Shahm B. Mohammed et al. Determination of phenolic compounds in Prunus domestica fruits extract and its pharmacological activity. Journal of IMAB. 2019; 25 (2): 2589-2594.
6. Stacewicz–Sapuntzakis M. Dried plums and their products: composition and health effectsan updated review. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2013; 53 (12): 1277–302.
7. Kim D., et al. Quantification of polyphenolics and their antioxidant capacity in fresh plums. J. Agric. Food Chem. 2003; 51: 6509–6515.
8. Pharmaceutical encyclopedia 2nd ed.: Chairman Ed. Council Chernykh V. P. Morion, Kiev. 2016.
9. Senjuk I. V., Bashar Jabar Al Sahlani, Mohammed Shahm Bassim. Study of hepatoprotective action of extracts from garden plum fruit. Pharmaceutical review. 2018; 4: 57-61.
10. The State Pharmacopoeia of Ukraine. State Enterprise “Ukrainian scientific Pharmacopoeial center”. RІRЕG, Kharkiv. 2008.
11. The State Pharmacopoeia of USSR. 11 edd. Issue 2. General methods of analysis. Medicinal herbs. Меdicine, Moscow. 1990.
12. Polishchuk I. et al. Investigation of phenolic compounds of raspberry cake extract by HPLC method. Journal Science and Innovation. 2020; 1: 67-71.
13. Sumere B. R. et al. Combining pressurized liquids with ultrasound to improve the extraction of phenolic compounds from pomegranate peel (Punica granatum L.). Ultrasonics sonochemistry. 2018; 48: 151-162.
14. Pyrzynska K., Sentkowska A. Chromatographic Analysis of Polyphenols. In: Polyphenols in Plants. Academic Press, 2019. p. 353-364.
15. Cushnie T.P. Tim, Lamb Andrew J. Antimicrobial activity of flavonoids. International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents. 2005; 26 (5): 343-356.
16. Aditya Ganeshpurkar, Ajay K. Saluja. The Pharmacological Potential of Rutin: review. Saudi Pharmaceutical Journal. 2017; 25: 149-164.
17. Wang Qian, Xie Mingjie. Antibacterial activity and mechanism of luteolin on Staphylococcus aureus. Wei sheng wu xue bao= Acta microbiologica Sinica, 2010; 50 (9): 1180-1184.
18. Clementi N. et al. Naringenin is a powerful inhibitor of SARS-CoV-2 infection in vitro. Pharmacological research. 2021; 163: 105255.
19. Herald, P. J., Davidson P. M. Antibacterial activity of selected hydroxycinnamic acids. Journal of Food Science. 1983; 48 (4): 1378-1379.
20. Lou Z., et al. Antibacterial activity and mechanism of action of chlorogenic acid. J Food Sci. 2011; 76 (6): M398-403.