Malarvizhi D, Hariharan S
email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org
Malarvizhi D1, Hariharan S2
1Professor, SRM College of Physiotherapy, SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, Kancheepuram District, Kattankulathur, Chennai 603203, Tamil Nadu, India.
2BPT IV Year, SRM College of Physiotherapy, SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, Kancheepuram District, Kattankulathur, Chennai 603203, Tamil Nadu, India.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2022
Background: Individual with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy are more prone for respiratory dysfunction. And thus the leading cause for death DMD. Objective: To find the effectiveness of inspiratory muscle training using ULTRABREATHE on pulmonary function in Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. Methodology: The quasi experimental study was done in 5 Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy children as one group of age ranging from 9 to 16 years in wheelchair bound stage and they have been given for an ULTRABREATHE as an inspiratory muscle trainer for duration of six weeks. Outcome Measures: Pulmonary Function Test was analyzed using spirometry.
Results: Statistical analysis shows, the mean and standard deviation value is 1.5380 and .84736 in pretest and the mean and standard deviation is 1.71 and .88752 with respect to tidal volume which shows significant improvement at p value> 0.038, whereas the other components like Duration of Inspiration, Total Lung Volume/Inspiration Time, Total Lung Volume, Inspiratory Capacity, Inspiration Time/Respiration Time, Forced Vital Capacity and Forced Expiratory Volume in One second (FEV1) not showed an significant improvement. Conclusion: The study concluded that the Effectiveness of inspiratory muscle training using ULTRABREATHE on pulmonary function in Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy children showed improvement only in Tidal Volume whereas all other components not showed a significant improvement.
Cite this article:
Malarvizhi D, Hariharan S. Effectiveness of Inspiratory muscle training using Ultrabreathe on Pulmonary function in Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(1):193-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00031
Malarvizhi D, Hariharan S. Effectiveness of Inspiratory muscle training using Ultrabreathe on Pulmonary function in Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(1):193-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00031 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-1-31
1. Gulati S, Saxena A, Kumar V, Kalra V. Duchenne muscular dystrophy: prevalence and patterns of cardiac involvement. The Indian Journal of Pediatrics. 2005 May 1;72(5):389-93.
2. Sinha R, Sarkar S, Khaitan T, Dutta S. Duchenne muscular dystrophy: Case report and review. Journal of Family Medicine and Primary Care. 2017 Jul;6(3):654.
3. Bushby K, Finkel R, Birnkrant DJ, Case LE, Clemens PR, Cripe L, Kaul A, Kinnett K, McDonald C, Pandya S, Poysky J. Diagnosis and management of Duchenne muscular dystrophy, part 1: Diagnosis, and Pharmacological and Psychosocial Management. The Lancet Neurology. 2010 Jan 1;9(1):77-93.
4. Jansen M, de Groot IJ, van Alfen N, Geurts AC. Physical training in boys with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy: the protocol of the No Use is Disuse study. BMC pediatrics. 2010 Dec;10(1):1-5.
5. Yiu EM, Kornberg AJ. Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. Neurology India. 2008 Jul 1;56(3):236.
6. Hathout Y, Brody E, Clemens PR, Cripe L, DeLisle RK, Furlong P, Gordish-Dressman H, Hache L, Henricson E, Hoffman EP, Kobayashi YM. Large-scale serum protein biomarker discovery in Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 2015 Jun 9;112(23):7153-8.
7. Abbs S, Tuffery-Giraud S, Bakker E, Ferlini A, Sejersen T, Mueller CR. Best practice guidelines on molecular diagnostics in Duchenne/Becker muscular dystrophies. Neuromuscular Disorders. 2010 Jun 1;20(6):422-7.
8. Flanigan KM. The muscular dystrophies. InSeminars in neurology 2012 Jul (Vol. 32, No. 03, pp. 255-263). Thieme Medical Publishers.
9. Dey S, Senapati AK, Pandit A, Biswas A, Guin DS, Joardar A, Roy S, Gangopadhyay G. Genetic and clinical profile of patients of Duchenne muscular dystrophy: experience from a tertiary care center in Eastern India. Indian pediatrics. 2015 Jun 1;52(6):481-4.
10. Simonds AK. Respiratory complications of the muscular dystrophies. InSeminars in respiratory and critical care medicine 2002 (Vol. 23, No. 03, pp. 231-238). Copyright© 2002 by Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc., 333 Seventh Avenue, New York, NY 10001, USA. Tel.:+ 1 (212) 584-4662.
11. G. Maheswari, Gopalakrishnan. N. Effectiveness of Biofeedback Therapy on Pulmonary Functions of Extubated Patients. Int. J. Nur. Edu. and Research 2(4): Oct.- Dec. 2014; Page 347-349.
12. Mauro AL, Aliverti A. Physiology of respiratory disturbances in muscular dystrophies. Breathe. 2016 Dec 1;12(4):318-27.
13. V. Rajalaxmi, Jiby Paul, M. Nithya, S. Chandra Lekha, B. Likitha. Effectiveness of Three Dimensional Approach of Schroth Method and Yoga on Pulmonary Function Test and Posture in Upper Crossed Syndrome With Neck Pain-A double blinded study. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018; 11(5):1835-1839.
14. Nam DH, Lim JY, Ahn CM, Choi HS. Specially Programmed Respiratory Muscle Training for Singers by Using Respiratory Muscle Training Device (UltrabreatheÂ®). Yonsei medical journal. 2004 Oct 1;45(5):810-7.
15. Do-Jin Kim, Jong-HyuckKim. Relationship between Cardiopulmonary function Metabolic Syndrome Indices. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2017; 10(11): 3868-3872.
16. Rekha K, Doss D, Nandini R. Effects of Respiratory Muscle Training Among Elderly Individuals. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2016;9(8):1119-22.
17. Rasha Saadi Abbas, Manal Khalid Abdulridha, Mostafa Abdalfatah Shafek. Study the Relationship between Asthma Severity and ABO Blood Group Phenotype in Sample of Iraqi patients with Chronic Bronchial Asthma. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(1):47-54.
18. Hallett S, Ashurst JV. Physiology, Tidal Volume. InStatPearls [Internet] 2019 Feb 2. Stat Pearls Publishing.
19. Raja A, Sundari FK. Comparison of the efficacy of laughter therapy and breathing exercises on pulmonary function among smokers. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2014;4(1):105-10.
20. Aldrich TK, Karpel JP, Uhrlass RM, Sparapani MA, Eramo DO, Ferranti RE. Weaning from mechanical ventilation: adjunctive use of inspiratory muscle resistive training. Critical Care Medicine. 1989 Feb;17(2):143-7.
21. Flores O, Reyes A, Prado FR, Abarca ED, Catalan CA, Madrid JO, Perez FR. Efecto comparado de entrenamiento muscular inspiratorio en distrofia muscular de Duchenne: 9 y 27 semanas de entrenamiento. Rehábil Integral. 2009;4:78-85.
22. Frank AO, De Souza LH. Clinical features of children and adults with a muscular dystrophy using powered indoor/outdoor wheelchairs: disease features, comorbidities and complications of disability. Disability and Rehabilitation. 2018 Apr 24;40(9):1007-13.
23. Wanke T, Toifl K, Merkle M, Formanek D, Lahrmann H, Zwick H. Inspiratory muscle training in patients with Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Chest. 1994 Feb 1;105(2):475-82.
24. Rodini CO, Collange LA, Juliano Y, Oliveira CS, Isola AM, Almeida SB, Misao MH. Influence of wheelchair positioning aids on the respiratory function of patients with Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Fisioterapia e Pesquisa. 2012 Jun;19(2):97-102.