The polycystic ovarian syndrome is a convoluted endocrine disorder of the reproductive system which influences several girls with puberty and 6-8% of germinating women in endemic populations and displays a wide spectrum of clinical phenomenon. This disorder was first reported in 1935 as a synthetic clinical error for its associations with high androgen levels, hyperinsulinemia, and PCOS. The pineal hormone melatonin is known to regulate a mixture of central and peripheral actions related to circadian rhythms. It is a pleiotropic fragment, which plays a vital role in female reproduction as a capable free radical hunter and involves many gynecological and obstetrical pathology. PCOS is a compound condition for which the symptoms are irregular, and the cause is anonymous. Herbal products like Yastimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Kumari (Aloe vera), Tvaka (Cinnamomum Zeylanicum), Mostly the Ayurvedic drugs used for the PCOS, all are Vata-kapha shamaka. Neurological associated in pcos is still in the platform of research, no drugs melatonin an important modulator in pcos can be concentrated to cure pcos. Melatonin might be effective against neurological associate pcos. In ayurvedic way of treatment it can be cured with several natural drugs.
Cite this article:
Safeeq Ahamed, M. Sumitra, V. Chitra. Prevalance and role of Melatonin on PCOS in its treatment using Herbal Drugs. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(9):5029-3. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00877
Safeeq Ahamed, M. Sumitra, V. Chitra. Prevalance and role of Melatonin on PCOS in its treatment using Herbal Drugs. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(9):5029-3. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00877 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-9-91
1. Yang HL, Zhou WJ, Gu CJ, Meng YH, Shao J et.al, (2018) Pleiotropic roles of melatonin in endometriosis, recurrent spontaneous abortion, and polycystic ovary syndrome. Am J Reprod Immunol 80(1): e12839.
2. Khan KA, Stas S, Kurukulasuriya LR (2006) Polycystic ovarian syndrome. J Cardiometab Syndr 1(2): 125-30.
3. Burghen GA, Givens JR, Kitabchi AE (1980) Correlation of hyperandrogenism with hyperinsulinism in polycystic ovarian disease. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 50(1): 113-6.
4. Azziz R, Carmina E, Dewailly D, Diamanti-Kandarakis E, Escobar- Morreale HF, et al. (2009) The androgen excess and PCOS society criteria for the polycystic ovary syndrome: the complete task force report. Fertil Steril 91(2): 456-88.
5. Orio F, Palomba S (2014) Reproductive endocrinology: new guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of PCOS. Nat Rev Endocrinol 10(3): 130-2.
6. P. Shanmugasundaram, T. N. Uma Maheshwari, Praveen. D, A. Harini. A Comprehensive Review on natural ways to Lose Weight. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2017; 10(11): 4030-4032
7. Ahmadi M, Rostamzadeh A, Fathi F, Mohammadi M, Rezaie MJ, et al. (2017) The effect of melatonin on histological changes of ovary in induced polycystic ovary syndrome model in mice. Middle East Fertil Soc J 22(4): 255-9.
8. Younis A, Hawkins K, Mahini H, Butler W, Garelnabi M, et al. (2014) Serum tumor necrosis factor-α, interleukin-6, monocyte chemotactic protein-1 and paraoxonase-1 profiles in women with endometriosis, PCOS, or unexplained infertility. J Assist Reprod Genet 31(11): 1445- 1451.
9. M. Ahmadi, A. Rostamzadeh, F. Fathi, M. Mohammadi, M.J. Rezaie, The effect of Melatonin on histological changes of ovary in induced polycystic ovary Syndrome model in mice, Middle East Fertility Soc. J. 22 (2017) 255–259.
10. Shahla O. Al-Ogaidi, Sura A. Abdulsattar, Hameed M. J. Al-Dulaimi. The Impact of Serum Leptin, Leptin Receptor and Insulin on Maternal Obesity. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(7): 3569-3574.
11. N.A. Desai, S.S. Patel, Increased insulin-like growth factor-1 in relation to Cardiovascular function in polycystic ovary syndrome: friend or foe?, Gynecol Endocrinol. 31 (2015) 801–807.
12. L. Poretsky, N.A. Cataldo, Z. Rosenwaks, L.C. Giudice, The insulin-related Ovarian regulatory system in health and disease, Endocrine Rev. 20 (1999) 535–582.
13. Sally Kadoura, Marwan Alhalabi, Abdul Hakim Nattouf. Effect of calcium and vitamin D supplements as an adjuvant therapy to metformin on lipid profile in vitamin D deficient/insufficient polycystic ovary syndrome patients: A Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Clinical Trial. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(5): 2327-2332.
14. A. Rostamzadeh, S. Mirfendereski, M.J. Rezaie, S. Rezaei, Diagnostic efficacy of Sonography for diagnosis of ovarian torsion, Pak. J. Med. Sci. 30 (2014) 413.
15. Veena Kirthika S, Jibi Paul, Senthil Selvam. P, Sathya Priya. V. Effect of Aerobic exercise and life style intervention among young women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2019; 12(9): 4269-4273
16. M. Chandrakala. Lifestyle Modification to Combat Adolescent Obesity. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research 1(3): July-Sept. 2011; Page 82-84
17. Legro RS, Kunselman AR, Demers L, Wang SC, Bentley-Lewis R, Dunaif A. Elevated dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate levels as the reproductive phenotype in the brothers of women with polycystic ovary syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2002; 87: 2134.
18. Leibel NI, Baumann EA, Kocherginsky M, Rosenfield RL. Relationship of adolescent polycystic ovary syndrome to parental metabolic syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2006;91: 1275-83.
19. Azziz R, Carmina E, Dewailly D, Diamanti-Kandarakis E, Escobar- Morreale HF, et al. (2009) The androgen excess and PCOS society criteria for the polycystic ovary syndrome: the complete task force report. Fertil Steril 91(2): 456-88.
20. Ahmadi M, Rostamzadeh A, Fathi F, Mohammadi M, Rezaie MJ, et al. (2017) The effect of melatonin on histological changes of ovary in induced polycystic ovary syndrome model in mice. Middle East Fertil Soc J 22(4): 255-9.
21. Younis A, Hawkins K, Mahini H, Butler W, Garelnabi M, et al. (2014) Serum tumor necrosis factor-α, interleukin-6, monocyte chemotactic protein-1 and paraoxonase-1 profiles in women with endometriosis, PCOS, or unexplained infertility. J Assist Reprod Genet 31(11): 1445- 1451.
22. Mohammed Khudair Hasan, Mowafaq Mohammed Ghareeb, Bassam Francis Mate, Qutaiba Ahmed Ibrahim Al Khames Aga. Clinical adverse effects of Chemotherapy protocolusing 6- Mercaptopurine in Iraqi patients with Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia during Maintenance Phase. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(12): 5757-5764..
23. Raman S, Palep HS. Alternative therapies in polycystic ovarian syndrome. Bombay Hosp J 2010. 52(3): 345-351.
24. Siriwardini SAD, Karunathilaka LPA et al. Clinical efficacy of Ayurveda treatment regimen on Subfertility with Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). Ayu 2010; 31(1): 24-27.
25. Grant P, Ramasamy S. An Update on Plant Derived Anti-Androgens. Int J Endocrinol Metab 2012; 10(2): 497-502.
26. Wijdan Rajh Hamza Al-Kraity, Murtadha M. Jawad. Comparison Visfatin level between Obese and Non Obese, Hypertensive and Normotensive patients with Ischemic Heart Disease. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(7): 3547-3550
27. El Hayek S, Bitar L, Hamdar LH, Mirza FG and Daoud G. Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome: An Updated Overview. Front. Physiol. 2016; 7: 124.
28. Akhondzadeh S. Hippocampal synaptic plasticity and cognition. J. Clin. Pharm. Ther.1999; 24 (4): 241 - 8.
29. Kirti Rawal, Gaurav Sethi, B S Saini, and Indu Saini. Impact of the Menstrual Cycle on Heart Rate Variability. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2019; 12(8): 3854-385
30. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) in Adolescence. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research 2(2): April-June 2012; Page 55-64
31. Arentz S, Smith CA, Abbott JA and Bensoussan A. A survey of the use of complementary medicine by a self-selected community group of Australian women with polycystic ovary syndrome. BMC Complement Altern. Med. 2014; 14: 472.
32. Kamel HH. Role of phyto-oestrogens in ovulation induction in women withpolycystic ovarian syndrome. Eur. J. Obstet. Gynecol.Reprod. Biol.2013; 168 (1): 60 - 3.
33. Revathi. R, Julius. A. Effect of LH/FSH Ratio and its Correlation with Insulin Resistance in PCOS Obese woman of Reproductive age Group. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018; 11(6): 2217-2219.
34. Bruni V, Dei M, Nannini S, Balzi D, Nuvolone D, et al. (2010) Polycystic ovary syndrome in adolescence. Ann NY Acad Sci 1205: 175-84.
35. Belgorosky A, Pepe C, Marino R, Guercio G, Saraco N, et al. (2003) Hypothalamic-pituitary-ovarian axis during infancy, early and late prepuberty in an aromatase-deficient girl who is a compound heterocygote for two new point mutations of the CYP19 gene. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88(11): 5127-2131.
36. Tamura H, Nakamura Y, Korkmaz A, Manchester LC, Tan D-X, et al. (2009) Melatonin and the ovary: physiological and pathophysiological implications. Fertil Steril 92(1): 328-343.
37. Saleem Khteer Al-Hadraawy. Study role of melatonin and leptin in patient infected with Entamoeba histolytica. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2017; 10(10):3471-3473 Saleem Khteer Al-Hadraawy. Study role of melatonin and leptin in patient infected with Entamoeba histolytica. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2017; 10(10): 3471-3473.
38. Woo MMM, Tai CJ, Kang SK (2001) Direct action of melatonin in human granulosa-luteal cells. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86(10): 4789-4797.
39. Maitra SK, Hasan KN (2017) Melatonin in the care and control of human health. JOJ Nurse Health Care 4(3): 555640.
40. Tagliaferri V, Romualdi D, Scarinci E, Cicco S, Florio CD, et al. (2018) Melatonin treatment may be able to restore menstrual cyclicity in women with PCOS: A pilot study. Reprod Sci 25(2): 269-275.
41. R.S. Legro, S.A. Arslanian, D.A. Ehrmann, K.M. Hoeger, M.H. Murad, R. Pasquali, et al., Diagnosis and treatment of polycystic ovary syndrome: an Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline, J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metabolism 98 (2013) 4565–4592.
42. S. Rooney, B. Pendry, Phytotherapy for polycystic ovarian syndrome: a review of the literature and evaluation of practitioners’ experiences, J. Herbal Med. (2014) 159–171.
43. P. Artini, O. Di Berardino, G. Simi, F. Papini, M. Ruggiero, P. Monteleone, et al., Best methods for identification and treatment of PCOS, Minervaginecologica 62 (2010) 33.
44. Karnakumar V Biradar, Chandrashekhar B Patil, Basavaraj V Chivde, MH Malipatil, Sanjivkumar D Biradar. Effect of Superoxide Dismutase Mimetic Tempol on Dexamethasone Induced Insulin Resistance-Role of Oxidative Stress. Research J. Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2011; 3(3): 134-137.
45. Habeeba Sultana, Tahseen Sameena, Hafsa Siddiqua, Kouser Unnisa. Anti Obesity activity of Rhynchosia beddomei by using Progesteron induced Obesity in Mice, and Mono Sodium Glutamate Induced Obesity in rats. Asian J. Research Chem. 2017; 10(3): 275-279
46. Stenchever MA et al: Comprehensive Gynecology Fourth edition, Polycystic ovarian syndrome, St Louis, 2001, Mosby.
47. Hemlata Dewangan, Jhakeshwar Prasad, Trilochan Satapathy. Pancreatic Polypeptide: Biologically Active Neuropeptide and their Clinical Significance. Res. J. Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics.2016; 8(3): 211-218