H.M. Moyeenudin, R. Thiruchelvi
H.M. Moyeenudin1*, R. Thiruchelvi2
1Assistant Professor, School of Hotel and Catering Management, Vels Institute of Science, Technology and Advanced Studies, Pallavaram, Chennai - 600117, Tamil Nadu, India.
2Assistant Professor, Department of Bio Engineering, B. Tech Biotechnology, Vels Institute of Science, Technology and Advanced Studies, Pallavaram, Chennai - 600117, Tamil Nadu, India.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 9,
Year - 2021
Focaccia is an Italian bread baked with herbs in a similar way to pizza, this can be utilized as a regular meal in daily basis, thus the bread prepared without cheese, it is considered as a good health supplement. The addition of herbs like Plectranthus amboinicus (Indian Borage) and Piper longum (long Pepper) to focaccia may increase the medicinal value. Borage is used as a medicine in treating contagious diseases like viral flu and cough through antiviral, antibacterial and antifebrile activity, likewise Piper longum acts as an antibacterial and have immunomodulation properties, piper longum is commonly known as Indian long pepper mostly used in siddha medicine to treat cough and respiratory disease. The upper respiratory infection mainly influence cough, sinusitis, sore throat, pharyngitis, also develop lung inflammation and this herb could be consumed in regular diet. The objective of this research is to analyze antiviral and antibacterial properties of Plectranthus amboinicus and Piper longum. Furthermore, to evaluate the Focaccia bread in addition with these herbs in preparation by sensory evaluation.
Cite this article:
H.M. Moyeenudin, R. Thiruchelvi. The Antiviral and Antibacterial properties of Plectranthus amboinicus and Piper longum with the Addition to Focaccia Bread Nutritional Value and Sensory Evaluation. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(9):4951-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00861
H.M. Moyeenudin, R. Thiruchelvi. The Antiviral and Antibacterial properties of Plectranthus amboinicus and Piper longum with the Addition to Focaccia Bread Nutritional Value and Sensory Evaluation. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(9):4951-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00861 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-9-75
1. Abuajah CI, Ogbonna AC, Osuji CM. Functional components and medicinal properties of food: a review. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2015 May 1; 52(5): 2522-9.
2. Bhatt P, Joseph GS, Negi PS, Varadaraj MC. Chemical composition and nutraceutical potential of Indian borage (Plectranthus amboinicus) stem extract. Journal of Chemistry. 2013 Jan 1; 2013.
3. Patel R, Mahobia N, Waseem N, Upwar N, Singh S. Phyto-physicochemical investigation of leaves of Plectranthus amboinicus (Lour) Spreng. Pharmacognosy Journal. 2010 Sep 1; 2(13): 536-42.
4. Naika R, Prasanna KP, Ganapathy PS. Antibacterial activity of piperlongumine an alkaloid isolated from methanolic root extract of Piper Longum L. Pharmacophore. 2010; 1(2): 141-8.
5. Erny Sabrina MN, Razali M, Mirfat AH, Mohd Shukri MA. Antimicrobial activity and bioactive evaluation of Plectranthus amboinicus essential oil. American Journal of Research Communication. 2014; 2(12): 121-7.
6. Ambujavalli J, Santhiya K, Rohini K, Kumaresan V. Assessment of Growth Characteristics of Medicinal Plants Ocimum tenuiflorum L. and Plectranthus amboinicus (Lour.) Spreng. Under Shade Net and Open Conditions. European Journal of Medicinal Plants. 2019: 1-8.
7. Civille GV, Oftedal KN. Sensory evaluation techniques—Make “good for you” taste “good”. Physiology and Behavior. 2012 Nov 5; 107(4): 598-605.
8. Foley W, Spurr S, Lenoy L, De Jong M, Fichera R. Cooking skills are important competencies for promoting healthy eating in an urban Indigenous health service. Nutrition and Dietetics. 2011 Dec; 68(4): 291-6.
9. Roeder E, Wiedenfeld H. Plants containing pyrrolizidine alkaloids used in the Traditional Indian Medicine–including Ayurveda. Die Pharmazie-An International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2013 Feb 1; 68(2): 83-92.
10. Sivaranjani D, Saranraj P, Manigandan M, Amala K. Antimicrobial activity of Plectranthus amboinicus solvent extracts against Human Pathogenic Bacteria and Fungi. Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics. 2019 May 15; 9(3): 36-9.
11. Murthy PS, Ramalakshmi K, Srinivas P. Fungitoxic activity of Indian borage (Plectranthus amboinicus) volatiles. Food Chemistry. 2009 Jun 1; 114(3): 1014-8.
12. Bhave A, Dasgupta S. Effect of cooking on total phenol, total flavonoids and DPPH free radical scavenging potential of Plectranthus amboinicus. J. Med. Plants Stud. 2018; 6(3): 82-4.
13. Velpandian T, Jasuja R, Bhardwaj RK, Jaiswal J, Gupta SK. Piperine in food: interference in the pharmacokinetics of phenytoin. European Journal of Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics. 2001 Dec 1; 26(4): 241-7.
14. Lee SE. Mosquito larvicidal activity of pipernonaline, a piperidine alkaloid derived from long pepper, Piper longum. Journal of the American Mosquito Control Association-Mosquito News. 2000 Sep 1; 16(3): 245-7.
15. Jin J, Zhang J, Guo N, Feng H, Li L, Liang J, Sun K, Wu X, Wang X, Liu M, Deng X. The plant alkaloid piperine as a potential inhibitor of ethidium bromide efflux in Mycobacterium smegmatis. Journal of Medical Microbiology. 2011 Feb 1; 60(2): 223-9.
16. O'Mahony, Rachel et al. “Bactericidal and anti-adhesive properties of culinary and medicinal plants against Helicobacter pylori. World Journal of Gastroenterology.2005; 11(47): 7499-507.
17. Huang H, Morgan CM, Asolkar RN, Koivunen ME, Marrone PG. Phytotoxicity of sarmentine isolated from long pepper (Piper longum) fruit. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 2010 Sep 22; 58(18): 9994-10000.
18. Arumugam G, Swamy MK, Sinniah UR. Plectranthus amboinicus (Lour.) Spreng: botanical, phytochemical, pharmacological and nutritional significance. Molecules. 2016 Apr; 21(4): 369.
19. Muthukumarana R, Dharmadasa RM. Pharmacognostical investigation of Plectranthus hadiensis (Forssk.) Schweinf. ex Sprenger. and Plectranthus amboinicus (Lour.) Spreng. World. 2014; 2(5): 240-6.
20. Kaliappan ND, Viswanathan PK. Pharmacognostical studies on the leaves of Plectranthus amboinicus (Lour) Spreng. International Journal of Green Pharmacy (IJGP). 2008; 2(3).
21. Akinbo DB, Onyeaghala AA, Emomidue JO, Ogbhemhe SO, Okpoli HC. Phytochemical and anti-inflammatory activities of aqueous leaf extract of Indian borage (oregano) on rats induced with inflammation. Cancer Biomarkers. 2018 Jan 1; 22(2): 257-65.
22. Zaveri M, Khandhar A, Patel S, Patel A. Chemistry and pharmacology of Piper longum L. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences Review and Research. 2010 Nov; 5(1): 67-76.