Voriconazole is used for the treatment of variety of fungal infections caused by aspergillosis, candidiasis, coccidioidomycosis, histoplasmosis, penicilliosis etc. Voriconazole belongs to triazole class. Voriconazole is mainly used to treat certain patients who are not responding to other anti-fungal drugs. It works by slowing the growth of the fungi that cause infection. A new validated reverse phase stability indicating liquid chromatographic method has been developed for the assay of Voriconazole in presence of an internal standard (Rufinamide) tablets. Forced degradation studies were performed to define the selectivity and specificity of the method. Linearity was observed over the concentration range 1.0-100µg/mL with linear regression equation y = 0.4489x – 0.1262 (r2 = 0.9999). The LOQ and LOD were found to be 0.8934µg/mL and 0.2921µg/mL. The present stability indicating RP-UFLC method was validated as per ICH guidelines and can be useful for the assay of tablets and injections and also for the kinetic studies.
Cite this article:
Paladugu Venkata Naveen, Seru Ganapaty. A new Validated Stability Indicating RP-UFLC Method for the Estimation of Voriconazole in presence of internal standard. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(9):4825-1. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00838
Paladugu Venkata Naveen, Seru Ganapaty. A new Validated Stability Indicating RP-UFLC Method for the Estimation of Voriconazole in presence of internal standard. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(9):4825-1. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00838 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-9-52
1. Denning DW, Ribaud P, Milpied N, Caillot D, Herbrecht R, Thiel E, Haas A, Ruhnke M, Lode H. Efficacy and safety of Voriconazole in the treatment of acute invasive aspergillosis. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2002; 34(5): 563-571.
2. Thompson GR and Lewis JS. Pharmacology and clinical use of Voriconazole. Expert Opinion Drug Metabolism Toxicology. 2010; 6(1): 83-94.
3. Pascual A, Calandra T, Bolay S, Buclin T, Bille J and Marchetti O. Voriconazole therapeutic drug monitoring in patients with invasive mycoses improves efficacy and safety outcomes. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2008; 46(2): 201-211.
4. Purkins L, Wood N, Greenhalgh K, Allen MJ, Oliver SD Voriconazole, a novel wide-spectrum triazole: oral pharmacokinetics and safety. Brazilian Journal of Clinical Pharmacology. 2003; 56 (Suppl 1): 10-16.
5. Prommas S, Puangpetch A, Jenjirattithigarn N, Chuwongwattana S, Jantararoungtong T, Koomdee N, Santon S, Chamnanphon M, Sukasem C. Development and Validation of Voriconazole Concentration by LC-MS-MS: Applied in Clinical Implementation. Journal of Clinical Lab Analysis. 2017; 31(1): e22011.
6. Subhadip Roy, BVV Ravi Kumar, Saswati Tarafdar. Development and validation of new analytical method for Voriconazole by using UV-spectrophotometry. International Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2011; 3(1): 1904-1912.
7. Tamilselvi N, Hassan Babikir,Fadul Fagir Babikir,Kondapalli Deepthi,Anusha Kandimalla, Kurian Dona Sara. UV-Spectrophotometric analysis of Voriconazole in tablet dosage form. Research Journal of pharmacy and Technology. 2011; 4(11): 1791-1793.
8. Anu rekha Jain, Deepika Maliwal, Vidyasagar Patidar and Anirudh Josh. UV-Spectrophotometric estimation of Voriconazole in bulk and tablet dosage form. Asian Journal of Chemistry. 2009; 21(2): 1627-1629.
9. Deepan T Alekhya V, Senniappan P and Dhanaraju MD. Method development and validation for the estimation of Voriconazole by UV-Spectroscopy. International Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2014; 5(2): 164-167.
10. Srinu Babu G and Raju ChAI. UV-Spectrophotometric determination of Voriconazole in bulk and its formulation. Asian Journal of Chemistry. 2007; 19(2): 1625-1627.
11. Rajasree B and Mathrusri Annapurna M. New spectrophotometric methods for the determination of Voriconazole-An anti-fungal agent. Acta Scientific Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2019; 3(5): 2-7.
12. Manali WJ, Atul AS and Sanjay S. RP-HPTLC method for determination of Voriconazole in bulk and in cream formulation. Arabian Journal of Chemistry. 2017; 10(1): S355-S360.
13. Dewani MG, Borole TC, SejalP G, Hi, Ashwini RM and Mrinalini CD. Development and validation of HPTLC method for determination of Voriconazole in human plasma. Der Pharma Chemica. 2011; 3(4): 201-209.
14. Shan Cheng, Feng Qiu, Jia Huang, and Junqi He. Development and validation of a simple and rapid HPLC method for the quantitative determination of Voriconazole in rat and beagle dog plasma. Journal of Chromatographic Science. 2007; 45(7): 409-414.
15. Prema. KC, Alpa J. Dherai, and Tester F. Ashavaid. Plasma Voriconazole estimation by HPLC. Indian Journal of Clinical Biochemistry. 2016; 31(2): 209-214.
16. Peter H. Tang. Quantification of antifungal drug Voriconazole in serum and plasma by HPLC-UV. Journal of Drug Metabolism Toxicology. 2013; 4(2): 2-5.
17. Gowri Sankar D, Nagesh Babu A, Rajeswari A and Vamsi Krishna M. RP-HPLC determination of Voriconazole in pure and pharmaceutical dosage forms. Asian Journal of Chemistry. 2009; 21(7): 5015-5018.
18. Khetre AB, Sinha PK, Mrinalini CD, and Mehendre R. Development and validation of stability indicating RP-HPLC method for Voriconazole. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2009; 71(5): 509-514.
19. Sreeramamurthy P, Srinivas K, Jogendrakumar YVV, Jagadeesh Panda and Sandhya Rose P. Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for the estimation of Voriconazole in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form. Chemical Science Transactions. 2014; 3(4): 1576-1582.
20. Ping Gu and Yuru Li. Development and validation of stability-indicating HPLC method for determination of Voriconazole and its related substances. Journal of Chromatographic Science. 2009; 47(7): 594-598.
21. Li GE, Ke-di YANG, Jing SU, Lin-tao TANG and Jie ZHANG. Chiral separation and analysis of Voriconazole enantiomers by HPLC. Chinese Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2012; 32(11): 1997-2001.
22. Srinubabu G, Raju ChAI, Sarath N, KiranKumar P and SeshagiriRao JVLN. Development and validation of HPLC method for determination of Voriconazole in pharmaceutical formulation using an experimental design. Talanta. 2007; 71(3): 1424-1429.
23. ICH Validation of analytical procedures: Text and methodology Q2 (R1), International Conference on Harmonization, 2005.
24. ICH Stability Testing of New Drug Substances and Products Q1A (R2), International Conference on Harmonization, 2003.