V. Suseela, L. Sushmita, R. Bharatkumar, R. Nirmaladevi
V. Suseela1, L. Sushmita1, R. Bharatkumar1, R. Nirmaladevi2*
1Department of Biochemistry, P.S.G College of Arts and Science, Coimbatore, Tamilnadu, India.
2Associate Professor, Department of Biochemistry, Biotechnology and Bioinformatics, Avinashilingam Institute for Home Science and Higher Education for Women, Coimbatore, Tamilnadu, India.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 9,
Year - 2021
The present study was carried out to elucidate the in vitro free radical scavenging potential of various extracts of Tabebuia roseo-alba leaves. Assays for radical scavenging, such as DPPH, ABTS+, hydroxyl, hydrogen peroxide, superoxide, nitric oxide assay and reducing power activity were performed using standard protocols and the results were compared with standard ascorbic acid. Among the various extracts used the ethanolic extract of T. roseo-alba exhibited efficient scavenging potential with lowest EC50 value proving its antioxidant potential. Leaves of T. roseo-alba have strong free radical scavenging properties and thus can be used as a potential antioxidant to resolve diseases that are associated with oxidative stress including diabetes and other age related disorders.
Cite this article:
V. Suseela, L. Sushmita, R. Bharatkumar, R. Nirmaladevi. Free Radical Scavenging potential of different extracts of Tabebuia roseo-alba (Ridl) Sand leaves. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(9):4801-7. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00835
V. Suseela, L. Sushmita, R. Bharatkumar, R. Nirmaladevi. Free Radical Scavenging potential of different extracts of Tabebuia roseo-alba (Ridl) Sand leaves. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(9):4801-7. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00835 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-9-49
1. Pattabiraman K., Muthukumaran P. Antidiabetic and Antioxidant Activity of Morinda tinctoria roxb Fruits Extract in Streptozotocin-Induced Diabetic Rats. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2011; 1(2): 34-39
2. Rahman Md.M, Islam Md.B, Biswas M and Alam AHMK. In vitro antioxidant and free radical scavenging activity of different parts of Tabebuia pallida growing in Bangladesh. BMC Res Notes. 2015; 30(8): 621.
3. N. Naidu, G. Sudheer Kumar, K. Sivakrishna, K. Anjinaik, L. Praveen Kumar, G. Sneha. Antimicrobial and antioxidant evolution of aqueous extract of Terminalia chebula using disc diffusion, H2O2 scavenging methods. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2017; 7(2): 112-114.
4. Tiwari P, Rakesh K. Estimation of Total Phenolics and Flavonoids and Antioxidant Potential of Ashwagandharishta Prepared by Traditional and Modern Methods. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2013; 3(4): 147-152.
5. Yadav M, Yadav A, Yadav JP. In vitro antioxidant activity and total phenolic content of endophytic fungi isolated from Eugenia jambolana Lam. Asian Pac J Trop Med. 2014; 7(Suppl 1): S256-S261.
6. Okoro I. Comparative study of the in vitro antioxidant properties of different extracts of Ethulia conyzoides. Nigerian Journal of Science and Environment. 2017; 15(1): 37-43
7. P. Muthukumaran P, Salomi S , Umamaheshwari R. In vitro Antioxidant Activity of Premna serratifolia Linn. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2013; 3(1): 15-18.
8. Valli G, Jeyalakshmi M.. Preliminary Phytochemical and Antioxidant Study of Odina woodier Leaf Extract. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2012; 2(4): 153-155.
9. Tiwari P. Phenolics and Flavonoids and Antioxidant Potential of Balarishta Prepared by Traditional and Modern Methods. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2014; 4(1): 5-10.
10. Ghosh S, Derle A, Ahire M, More P, Jagtap S, Phadatare SD, Patil AB, Jabgunde AM, Sharma GK, Shinde VS, Pardesi K, Dhavale DD, Chopade BA. Phytochemical Analysis and Free Radical Scavenging Activity of Medicinal Plants Gnidia glauca and Dioscorea bulbifera. PLoS One. 2013; 8: e82529.
11. Silva JC, Santos WBD, Araujo MGS, Oliveira JDS, Verissimo RCSS, Bernardo T et al. Evaluation of the Cytotoxic, Antimicrobial and Antioxidant Activity of the Plant species Tabebuia roseo-alba (Ridl) Sand. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research. 2017; 9(4): 148-153.
12. Sannigrahia S, Mazuder UK, Pal DK, Parida S, Jain S. Antioxidant Potential of Crude Extract and Different Fractions of Enhydra fluctuans Lour. Iranian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2010; 9(1): 75-82.
13. Blois MS. Antioxidant determinations by the use of stable free radical. Nature.1958; 1: 1199-2000.
14. Re R, Pelligrini N, Proteggeenate M, Yang C, Evans R. Antioxidants activity of applying an improved ABTS radical cation decolorisation assay. Free Radical Biology and Medicine. 1999; 26(9-10): 1231-1237.
15. Klein SM, Cohen G, Cederbaum AI. Production of formaldehyde during metabolism of dimethyl sulphoxide by hydroxyl radical generating system. Biochemistry. 1991; 20: 6006-6012.
16. Ruch RJ, Cheng SJ, Klaunig JE. Prevention of cytotoxicity and inhibition of intercellular communication by antioxidant catechins isolated from Chinese green tea. Carcinogenesis. 1989; 10(6): 1003-1008.
17. Green LC, Wagner DA, Glogowski J, Skipper PL, Wishnok JS, Tannenbaum SR. Analysis of nitrate, nitrite and nitrate in biological fluids. Analytical Biochemistry. 1982; 126: 131– 138.
18. Liu F, Ooi VEC, Chang ST. Free radical scavenging activity of mushroom polysaccarides extract. Life Science. 1997; 60.
19. Oyaizu M. Studies on product of browning reaction prepared from glucose amine. Japan Journal of Nutrition. 1986; 7: 307-315.
20. Sowndhararajan K, Kang SC. Free radical scavenging activity from different extracts of leaves of Bauhinia vahlii Wight and Arn. Saudi Journal of Biological Sciences. 2013; 20(4): 319–325.
21. Chanda S, Dave R, Kaneria M. Invitro antioxidant property of some Indian Medicinal plants. Research Journal of Medicinal Plants. 2011; 5(2): 169.
22. Nunes PX, Silva SF, Guedes RJ, Almeida S. Biological Oxidations and Antioxidant activity of natural Products. Croatia: Tech Publisher. 2012; pp.1-20.
23. Priyanga S, Hemmalakshmi S, Sowmya S, Vidya B, Chellaperumal P, Gopalakrishnan VK, Devaki K. In vitro Enzyme Inhibitory Evaluation and Free Radical Scavenging Potential of Ethanolic Leaf Extract of Macrotyloma uniflorum (L.). International Journal of Current Pharmaceutical Review and Research. 2015; 6(3): 169-177.
24. Sanmugapriya K, Saravana PS, Payal H, Peer Mohammed S, Binnie W. Antioxidant activity, total phenolic and flavanoid contents of Artocarpus heterophyllus and Manilkara zapota seeds and its reduction potential. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Science. 2011; 3(5): 256-260.
25. Yang JX, Guo J, Yuan JF. In vitro antioxidant properties of rutin. LWT Food Science and Technology. 2008; 41(6): 1060-1066.
26. 26.Hepsibha BT, Sathiya S, Babu CS, Premalakshmi V, Sekar T. In vitro studies of antioxidant and free radical scavenging activities of Azima tetracantha. Lam leaf extract. Indian J Sci Technol. 2010; 3(5): 571-577.
27. Gautham SA, Onkarappa R. In Vitro Antioxidant activity of Metabolite from Streptomyces fradiae strain GOS1, International Journal of Drug Development and Research. 2013; 5(1): 235-244.
28. Kalaiselvi M, Ravikumar G, Gomathi D, Uma C. Invitro free radical scavenging activity of Ananas comosus (L.) Merrill peel. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2012; 4: 604.
29. Venkatachalam U, Muthukrishnan S. Free radical scavenging activity of ethanolic extract of Desmodium gangeticum. Journal of Acute Medicine. 2012; 2(2): 36-42.