Omer Jasim Mohammed, Mohammed Jassim Hamzah, Ahmed Mahdi Saeed
Omer Jasim Mohammed1, Mohammed Jassim Hamzah2, Ahmed Mahdi Saeed3
1Chemistry Department, College of Education for Pure Sciences, Diyala University, Iraq.
2Pharmaceutical Chemistry Department, Pharmacy College, Al-Nahrain University, Iraq.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 9,
Year - 2021
A novel, simple and accurate, Reversed Phase High Performance Liquid Chromatography (RP-HPLC) method for simultaneous estimation of Paracetamol (PCM) and Caffeine (CAF) in mixture of standard and formulation tablets was validated in this research. The absorbance maximum of drugs using UV- spectroscopy was found at (244.8 and 272.6nm) for PCM and CAF respectively in deionized water: methanol mixture (60:40 V/V) as solvent. This method involves the separation of PCM and CAF on RP - HPLC Shimadzu type LC–20 - A, Japan, and Phenomenex column, C18 (250mm, 4.6mm and 5µm). The elution was done using an eluent phase composed of methanol and water in the ratio of (40:60 V/V with a pH adjusted at 4.0 using acetic acid). A separation was fixed for 10 min at 270nm, using a UV-Vis - detector and 1.0mL/min, flow rate and the drugs were eluted in (3.468 and 5.376 min) for PCM and CAF respectively. The suitable conditions such as the elution phase composition, rate of flow, pH and wavelength were studied. The linearity of the method was in the range of concentration within (0.5 – 25 and 0.1 - 30µg/mL), while, R2 values within (0.9995 and 0.9997), and the means of recovery were found within (99.57 and 100.36) for PCM and CAF respectively. The method was applied for the estimation of gradient active of drugs in different formulating form samples. The method accuracy was validated by the mean of recovery percentages which, were found in acceptable limit.
Cite this article:
Omer Jasim Mohammed, Mohammed Jassim Hamzah, Ahmed Mahdi Saeed. RP–HPLC Method Validation for Simultaneous Estimation of Paracetamol and Caffeine in Formulating Pharmaceutical Form. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(9):4743-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00825
Omer Jasim Mohammed, Mohammed Jassim Hamzah, Ahmed Mahdi Saeed. RP–HPLC Method Validation for Simultaneous Estimation of Paracetamol and Caffeine in Formulating Pharmaceutical Form. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(9):4743-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00825 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-9-39
1. Raffa. R. B. Pharmacology of oral combination analgesics: rational therapy for pain. Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics. 2001; 26(4): 257-264.
2. Madni. A, et al. New simultaneous High-Performance Liquid Chromatographic method for determination of NSAIDs and opioid analgesics in advanced drug delivery systems and human plasma. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology. 2009; 3(7) : 158-163.
3. Van Dyke. T, et al. Combination oxycodone 5 mg/ibuprofen 400 mg for the treatment of postoperative pain: a double-blind, placebo-and active-controlled parallel-group study. Clinical Therapeutics. 2004; 26(12) : 2003-2014.
4. Tunca. K. Quantitative Analysis of Paracetamol, Acetyl cysteine and Guaifenesin in Commercial Cold Medicines by UV-Vis Spectroscopy. Sop Transactions on Analytical Chemistry. 2014; 1(1): 40-47.
5. Andrews. K., et al. The caffeine content of dietary supplements commonly purchased in the U.S.: Analysis of 53 products having caffeine containing ingredients. Analytical and Bio analytical Chemistry. 2007; 389(1): 231-239.
6. Khalid. M, et al. Optimization of extraction procedure for determination of caffeine residue in water. Journal of Materials and Environmental Science. 2016; 7(3):720-728.
7. Gerald, I., Arthur, E., and Adedayo, A. Determination of Caffeine In Beverages: A Review. American Journal of Engineering Research. 2014; 3 (8): 124-137.
8. Saeed, A., and Ahmed, N. Estimation of Paracetamol, Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Codeine and Caffeine in Some Formulated Commercial Dosage Using UV – Spectroscopic Method. European Journal Of Pharmaceutical and Medical Research. 2017; 4 (7): 33-38.
9. Jamadar, D, et al. Analytical method development and validation for Aspirin. International Journal of ChemTech Research. 2010; 2 (1): 389-399.
10. Delvadiya. K., et al. Spectrophotometric simultaneous analysis of paracetamol, propyphenazone and caffeine in tablet dosage forms. Der. Pharma Chemica. 2011; 3 (3): 170-174.
11. Sathish. K. K, et al. Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of Paracetamol and Flupirtine Maleate. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2015; 5(2) : 105-111.
12. Sharmin.R. C, Mahfuza. M and Mahbubul. H. S. Development and Validation of a Simple RP-HPLC Method for Determination of Caffeine in Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2012; 2(1) : 01-04.
13. Remi. S. L, et al. A Novel Ecofriendly, Cost effective mobile phase for HPLC- Simultaneous estimation and Validation of Paracetamol and Diclofenac sodium in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Formulation by RP-HPLC using Hydrotropic Solution as Mobile phase. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2020; 10(3): 163-170.
14. Ganesh B. V, et al. Evaluation of five Different Marketed Brands of Paracetamol Tablets using Quality Control Tests. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018; 8(4): 227-230.
15. Armenta. S, Garrigues. S. and de la Guardia. M., Solid-phase FT-Raman determination of caffeine in energy drinks. Analytica Chimica Acta. 2005; 547(2): 197-203.
16. Yang. X, et al. Determination of six analgesics by CE with an improved electromagnetic induction detector. Chromatographia. 2012; 75(1-2): 71-76.
17. Oza. C.K, et al. Dual Wavelength Spectrophotometric method for the simultaneous determination of Paracetamol and Nabumetone in API and in tablet dosage form. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2012; 2(4): 122-127.
18. Amos-Tautua. W, and Diepreye. E. Ultra-violet spectrophotometric determination of caffeine in soft and energy drinks available in Yenagoa, Nigeria. Adv J Food Sci Technol. 2014; 6: 155-158.
19. Oza. C.K, et al. Q–Analysis Spectrophotometric method for the simultaneous determination of Nabumetone and Paracetamol in API and in tablet dosage form. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2013; 3(1): 09-16.
20. Audumbar. M, et al. Simultaneous Determination of Paracetamol and Domperidone in Pharmaceutical Dosage Form by First Order Derivative UV Spectrophotometry. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2016; 6(1): 22-26.
21. Hamid. K, et al. Validated UPLC/Q-TOF-MS Method for Simultaneous Determination of Aceclofenac, Paracetamol and Chlorzoxazone in Human Plasma and its Application to Pharmacokinetic Study. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2017; 7(2): 93-99.
22. Gyanendra. S and Seema. R. Determination of Azelastine in Different Samples by Poly (vinyl chloride) Based Membrane Electrode. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2013; 3(2): 37-41.
23. Dnyaneshwari D. W and Vrushali S. T. Development and Validation of Absorption Correction Method for Simultaneous Estimation of Paracetamol and Nimesulide in Bulk and Combined Tablet Dosage Form. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2018; 8(1): 33-38.
24. ICH Harmonised Tripartite Guideline, Validation of Analytical Procedures: Text and Methodology Q2 (R1), 2005; http://www.ich.org/file admin/Public Web_ Site/ ICH_ Products/ Guidelines/ Quality/Q2_R1/ Step4/ Q2_R1_Guideline.pdf.
25. Davidson AG. "Ultraviolet-visible absorption spectrophotometry. In: Beckett AH, Stenlake JB. editors. Practical pharmaceutical chemistry. New Delhi: CBS Publishers and Distributors. 2002.