Dibya Das, Dhiman Halder, Himangshu Sekhar Maji, Pintu Kumar De, Sudipta Saha, Navjot Singh, Tapan Kumar Pal
Dibya Das1*, Dhiman Halder2, Himangshu Sekhar Maji1, Pintu Kumar De1, Sudipta Saha3, Navjot Singh4, Tapan Kumar Pal2
1Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, JIS University, Kolkata, India.
2Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Bioequivalence Study Centre, Jadavpur University, Kolkata, India.
3UCD School of Public Health, Physiotherapy and Sports Science, University College Dublin.
4NRI Institute of Pharmacy, Bhopal, India.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 8,
Year - 2021
The aim of the present work is to develop and validate an accurate, sensitive, rapid, precise, and simple bioanalytical method for estimation of Febuxostat in human plasma by using LC-ESI-MS/MS. The method was developed by gradient elution technique with the combination of the mobile phase as 0.1% Formic Acid in Milli-Q water and 0.1% Formic Acid in Acetonitrile at a flow rate of 0.5ml/min. The Analyte and IS (Tolbutamide) were separated by a C18 Phenomenex Kinetex (50x3mm, 5µ) column. The chromatographic run time was 7.0 minutes. The plasma extraction was done by a simple protein precipitation technique (PPT). The LOD and LLOQ were found to be 6.25ng/ml and 125ng/ml, respectively. The extraction recovery of the drug from plasma was more than 90%. The validation parameters were found within the range, as mentioned by USFDA and EMA guidelines.
Cite this article:
Dibya Das, Dhiman Halder, Himangshu Sekhar Maji, Pintu Kumar De, Sudipta Saha, Navjot Singh, Tapan Kumar Pal. Introduction of an Innovative approach for Bioanalytical Method Development and Validation of Febuxostat by using LC-ESI-MS/MS in Human Plasma. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(8):4060-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00703
Dibya Das, Dhiman Halder, Himangshu Sekhar Maji, Pintu Kumar De, Sudipta Saha, Navjot Singh, Tapan Kumar Pal. Introduction of an Innovative approach for Bioanalytical Method Development and Validation of Febuxostat by using LC-ESI-MS/MS in Human Plasma. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(8):4060-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00703 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-8-9
1. FDA US. Bioanalytical method validation guidance for industry. US Department of Health and Human Services Food and Drug Administration Center for Drug Evaluation and Research and Center for Veterinary Medicine. 2001.
2. Pulido A, Ruisánchez I, Boqué R, Rius FX. Uncertainty of results in routine qualitative analysis. TrAC Trends in Analytical Chemistry. 2003 Oct 1; 22(9): 647-54.
3. Murugan S, Pravallika N, Sirisha P, Chandrakala K. A review on bioanalytical method development and validation by using LC-MS/MS. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2013 Mar; 6(1): 41-5
4. Bressolle F, Bromet-Petit M, Audran M. Validation of liquid chromatographic and gas chromatographic methods Applications to pharmacokinetics. Journal of Chromatography B: Biomedical Sciences and Applications. 1996 Nov 8; 686(1): 3-10.
5. Hartmann C, Smeyers-Verbeke J, Massart DL, McDowall RD. Validation of bioanalytical chromatographic methods. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 1998 Jun 1; 17(2): 193-218.
6. James CA, Breda M, Frigerio E. Bioanalytical method validation: a risk-based approach? Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 2004 Jun 29; 35(4): 887-93.
7. Hair PI, McCormack PL, Keating GM. Febuxostat. Drugs. 2008; 68(13): 1865-74.
8. Love BL, Barrons R, Veverka A, Snider KM. Urate‐lowering therapy for gout: focus on febuxostat. Pharmacotherapy: The Journal of Human Pharmacology and Drug Therapy. 2010 Jun; 30(6): 594-608.
9. Rocci ML, Devanarayan V, Haughey DB, Jardieu P. Confirmatory reanalysis of incurred bioanalytical samples. The AAPS journal. 2007 Sep 1; 9(3): E336-43
10. Viswanathan CT, Bansal S, Booth B, DeStefano AJ, Rose MJ, Sailstad J, Shah VP, Skelly JP, Swann PG, Weiner R. Workshop/conference report—quantitative bioanalytical methods validation and implementation: best practices for chromatographic and ligand binding assays. The AAPS Journal. 2007 Mar 1; 9(1): E30-42.
11. Pandey S, Pandey P, Tiwari G, Tiwari R. Bioanalysis in drug discovery and development. Pharmaceutical methods. 2010 Oct 1; 1(1): 14-24.
12. Shah VP. The history of bioanalytical method validation and regulation: evolution of a guidance document on bioanalytical methods validation. The AAPS Journal. 2007 Mar; 9(1): E43.
13. Garofolo F. The 1st Canadian Workshop on the Crystal City AAPS/FDA White Paper. In Workshop Report. http://www. Canadianl CMS group. com/docs/B-2007WorkshopWhitePaper. pdf. Accessed on 2010 Jul (Vol. 29).
14. Savoie N, Booth BP, Bradley T, et al. The 2nd calibration and validation group workshop on recent issues in good laboratory practice bioanalysis.
15. Trullols E, Ruisánchez I, Rius FX. Validation of qualitative analytical methods. TrAC Trends in Analytical Chemistry. 2004 Feb 1;23(2):137-45.
16. Buick AR, Doig MV, Jeal SC, Land GS, McDowall RD. Method validation in the bioanalytical laboratory. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 1990 Jan 1; 8(8-12): 629-37.
17. Shiv Kumar Gupta, Babita Kumar, Pramod Kumar Sharma. Development and validation of a RP-HPLC method for estimation of Thalidomide in solid dosage form. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 3(1): Jan.-Mar. 2013; Page 17-19.
18. Halder D, Dan S, Sarkar P, Das D, Chandra Halder U, Kumar Pal T. LC-MS/MS determination of 4-hydroxynimesulide, an active metabolite of nimesulide and application to bioequivalence study in Indian subjects. European Journal of Mass Spectrometry. 2019;25(5): 399-411.
19. FDA US. Bioanalytical method validation guidance for industry. US Department of Health and Human Services Food and Drug Administration Center for Drug Evaluation and Research and Center for Veterinary Medicine. 2018 May.
20. Jumle RS, Mundhey AS, Wate SP, et al. UV-spectrophotometric method development and validation for estimation of tizanidine and aceclofenac in tablet formulation. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2012; 2(4): 101-3.
21. Akhilesh Gupta, Swati Rawat, Arun Pandey. Method Development and Photolytic Degradation Study of Doxofylline by RP-HPLC and LC-MS/MS. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 1(2): April-June 2011; Page 29-33.
22. Swapna J, Madhu C, Srivani M, et al. Analytical method development and method validation for the simultaneous estimation of metformin hydrochloride and pioglitazone hydrochloride in tablet dosage form by RP-HPLC. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2012; 2(3): 85-9.
23. Renu Solanki, Badri Prakash Nagori, Mahendra Kumar Naval, Joytosh Banerjee. Development and Validation of Simultaneous Estimation Method for Amoxycillin Trihydrate and Tinidazole in Tablet Dosage Form by RP-HPLC. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 3(2): April- June 2013; Page 66-71.
24. D. Narmada, P.V. Murali Krishna, Shaik Mohammad Yusuf, B. Ranganayakulu, K. Uday Praveen, P. Raja Abhilash. RP-HPLC method development and validation for estimation of Glibenclamide in tablet dosage form. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 4(3): July-Sept 2014; Page 125-128.
25. Govinda Rao Kamala, Sowjanya Vadrevu, Malipeddi Haripriya. Method Development and Validation for Simultaneous Estimation of Omeprazole and Domperidone by RP-HPLC. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 5(4): 2015; 195-205. doi: 10.5958/2231-5675.2015.00031.9.
26. Sumithra, M., Yuvanesh, P. and Mistry, A., 2016. Analytical method development and validation of ambroxol hydrochloride by UV spectroscopy and forced degradation study and detection of stability. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 9(7), pp.794-800.
27. K.S. Nataraj, P. Sivalingachari, S. Sai Naveen, K. Alekhya. Method Development and Validation for the Estimation of Dasatinib Monohydrate Tablets by RP-HPLC. Asian J. Research Chem. 6(9): September 2013; Page 859-862.
28. D.M.Darandale, K.B. Erande, S.R. Tambe, R.S. Bhamber. Development and Validation of RP-HPLC Method for the Determination of Febuxostat in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Dosage Form. Asian J. Research Chem. 2017; 10(6): 713-718. doi: 10.5958/0974-4150.2017.00121.3