Mohamed J. Saadh, Saed M. Aldalaen, Hala M. Sbaih
Mohamed J. Saadh1*, Saed M. Aldalaen2, Hala M. Sbaih3
1Faculty of Pharmacy, Middle East University, Amman, Jordan.
2Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Mutah University, Jordan.
3Faculty of Pharmacy, Isra University, Amman, Jordan.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 8,
Year - 2021
There are several circulated hormones that control intravascular blood volume which are secreted from cardiac tissue, such as atrial natriuretic peptide (ANP) and brain (B-type) natriuretic peptide (BNP). These peptides will be elevated in case of heart failure (HF), and because of their diuretic, natriuretic, vasodilating effects as well as suppressing renin production they will work as compensated for HF. The natriuretic peptides system has critical effect against renin – angiotensin – aldosterone system (RAAS). A suggested therapeutic approach was discussed in HF treatment via performing human recombinant ANP and BNP, but it’s requiring more clinical trials to evaluate the quality of this approach compared to conventional treatment.
Cite this article:
Mohamed J. Saadh, Saed M. Aldalaen, Hala M. Sbaih. Inhibitors of Neutral Peptidase. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(8):4491-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00780
Mohamed J. Saadh, Saed M. Aldalaen, Hala M. Sbaih. Inhibitors of Neutral Peptidase. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(8):4491-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00780 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-8-86
1. Potter LR, Yoder AR, Flora DR, Antos LK, Dickey DM. Natriuretic peptides: their structures, receptors, physiologic functions and therapeutic applications. Handbook of Experimental Pharmacology. cGMP: Generators, Effectors and Therapeutic Implications. Springer Berlin Heidelberg. 2009; pp.341-66.
2. Moses Kandula, Karthika P, Robin Abraham. Nurses Action towards Cardio Vascular Emergencies. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2019;9: 121-126.
3. Macchia DD. "Atrial natriuretic factor: a hormone secreted by the heart". Pharmaceutisch Weekblad. Scientific edition. 1987; 6: 305-314.
4. Gulnara Bedelbayeva, Zhannat Nurmakhanova, Murat Almukhambetov, Nazima Zarubekova, Ainur Nuftieva. Factors of the Complicated Course of the Myocardial Infarction in Men and Women. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018; 11: 1737-1744.
5. Widmaier EP, Raff H, Strang KT. Vander's Human Physiology. McGraw-Hill. 11th ed: pp. 291: 509-510.
6. Krittika Ravi, Dhanraj Ganapathy, Sherlyn Sheeba. Cardiac Failure at Young age- A Review. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018; 11: 2641-2646.
7. Theilig F, Wu Q. "ANP-induced signaling cascade and its implications in renal pathophysiology". American Journal of Physiology. Renal Physiology. 2015; 308: F1047-F1055.
8. Sarumathy S, Madhumitha V, Vishali M, Janani S, Englebert Rynjah M, Priyadharshini A. Trends in Management of Congestive Heart Failure patients in A Tertiary Care Hospital -A Retrospective Study. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019; 12: 3851-3853.
9. Fu S, Ping P, Wang F, Luo L. Synthesis, secretion, function, metabolism and application of natriuretic peptides in heart failure. Journal of Biological Engineering. 2018; 12:2.
10. Alwiyah Mukaddas, Ingrid Faustine, Putu Sudiasih. Effect of Combination ACEI (Angiotensin Converting Enzyme Inhibitor) and Diuretics on Potassium Levels of Congestive Heart Failure Patients. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020; 13:747-750.
11. De Vito P. Atrial natriuretic peptide: an old hormone or a new cytokine?. Peptides. 2014; 58: 108-116.
12. Abbas Sabbar Dakhil. Association between Troponin and Lipid Profile Levels in patients with Chronic Heart Failure. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020;1 3:1095-1099.
13. Lanfea E. David. Genetic variation in the natriuretic peptide system and heart failure. Heart failure reviews. 2010; 15: 219-228.
14. Kaneko T, Shirakami G, Nakao K, Nagata I, Nakagawa O, Hama N, Suga S, Miyamoto S, Kubo H, Hirai O. C-type natriuretic peptide (CNP) is the major natriuretic peptide in human cerebrospinal fluid. Brain Research. 1993; 612: 104-109.
15. Ogawa Y, Itoh H, Yoshitake Y, Inoue M, Yoshimasa T, Serikawa T, Nakao K. Molecular cloning and chromosomal assignment of the mouse C-type natriuretic peptide (CNP) gene (Nppc): comparison with the human CNP gene (NPPC). Genomics. (November 1994; 24: 383-387.
16. Stephenson SL, Kenny AJ. The hydrolysis of human atrial natriuretic peptide by pig kidney microvillar membranes is initiated by endopeptidase-24.11. Biochemical Journal. 1987; 243:183-187.
17. Richards M, Espiner E, Ikram H, et al. Inhibition of endopeptidase EC 24.11 in humans: renal and endocrine effects. Hypertension. 1990; 16: 269-276.
18. Jishala MI, Venkateswaramurthy N, Sambathkumar R. Cardiotoxicity associated with Cancer Chemotherapy. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020; 13: 2480-2487.
19. Molina CR, Fowler MB, McCrory S, et al. Hemodynamic, renal and endocrine effects of atrial natriuretic peptide infusion in severe heart failure. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 1988; 12: 175-186.
20. Ms. Nimi Elizabeth Mathew, Mrs. Rincy. T. Issac, Sr. Dr. Joseena. A Study to Assess the relationship between self-care and quality of life in patients with Heart failure in a selected Hospital, Kottayam. Research Journal of Science and Technology. 2020; 12: 52-56.
21. Yoshimura M, Yasue H, Morita E, Sakanio N, Jougasaki M, Kurose M, Mukoyama M, Saito K, Imura H. Hemodynamic, renal and hormonal responses to brain natriuretic peptide infusion in patients with congestive heart failure. Circulation. 1991; 84: 1581-1588.
22. Northridge DB, Jardine AG, Alabaster C T, Barclay PL, Connell JM, Dargie HJ, Dilly SG, Findlay IN, Lever AF, Samuels GM. Effects of UK 69,578: a novel atriopeptidase inhibitor. Lancet 1989; 2: 591-593.
23. Munzel T, Kurz S, Holtz J, et al. Neurohormonal inhibition and hemodynamic unloading during prolonged inhibition of ANF degradation in patients with severe chronic heart failure. Circulation. 1992; 86: 1089-1098.
24. Northridge, DB, Newby, DE, Rooney, E, et al. Comparison of the short-term effects of candoxatril, an orally active neutral endopeptidase inhibitor, and frusemide in the treatment of patients with chronic heart failure. American Heart Journal. 1999; 138:1149-1157.
25. Kamalakkannan V, Arul Kumaran KSG, Meena Prabha P, Sambathkumar R. Chronotherapy of Cardiac Diseases using Diltiazem HCl - A Review. Research Journal of Science and Technology. 2015;8: 958-962.
26. Struthers A D. Fortnightly Review: Ten years of natriuretic peptide research: a new dawn for their diagnostic and therapeutic use?. BMJ. 1994;308: 1615.
27. Christopher, MO, Wendy, AG, Christopher, BG. A randomized trial of ecadotril versus placebo in patients with mild to moderate heart failure: The U.S. Ecadotril Pilot Safety Study. American Heart Journal. 1999;138: 1140-1148.
28. Francis GS. Is there still a future for neutral endopeptidase inhibitors? American Heart Journal. 1999; 138:1007-1008.
29. The Solved Investigators. Effect of enalapril on mortality and the development of heart failure in asymptomatic patients with reduced left ventricular ejection fractions. New England Journal of Medicine. 1992;327: 685-691.
30. Cowley AJ, Stainer K, Wynne RD, Rowly JM. Symptomatic assessment of patients with heart failure: double-blind comparison of increasing doses of diuretics and captopril in moderate heart failure. Lancet; 1986; 2: 770-2.
31. Garach Bhavikkumar D. The rationale of use of combination therapy in hypertensive patients. Research Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2013; 5: 19-26.
32. Bayliss J, Norell M, Canepa-Anson R, et al. Untreated heart failure: clinical and neuroendocrine effects of introducing diuretics. British Heart Journal. 1987;57:17-22.
33. Francis GS, Benedict C, Johnstone DE, Kirlin PC, Nicklas J, Liang CS, Kubo SH, Rudin-Toretsky E, Yusuf S. Comparison of neuroendocrine activation in patients with left ventricular dysfunction with and without congestive heart failure: a substudy of the Studies of Left Ventricular Dysfunction (SOLVD). Circulation. 1981; 63:645-651.
34. Gros C, Noel N, Souque A. Mixed inhibitors of angiotensin converting enzyme (EC 22.214.171.124) and enkephalinase (E.C.126.96.36.199): rational design, properties, and potential cardiovascular applications of glycopril and alatriopril. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1991; 88: 4210-4214.
35. Basu Ray I, Reddy KN. Neutral peptidase inhibitors. Heart Drug 2001;1: 236-240.