Siddharthan Selvaraj, Nyi Nyi Naing, Nadiah Wan-Arfah
Siddharthan Selvaraj1, Nyi Nyi Naing2*, Nadiah Wan-Arfah3
1PhD Scholar, Faculty of Medicine, Universiti Sultan Zainal Abidin, Kuala Terengganu, Terengganu, Malaysia.
2Professor, Faculty of Medicine, Universiti Sultan Zainal Abidin, Kuala Terengganu, Terengganu, Malaysia.
3Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Health Sciences, Universiti Sultan Zainal Abidin, Kuala Terengganu, Terengganu, Malaysia.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 8,
Year - 2021
Periodontitis is considered as a familiar inflammatory oral condition, which is related with various systemic diseases and several unfavourable reproductive consequences, that include reduced birth weight of child, preeclampsia, preterm labour, restriction of foetal growth, and perinatal death. Based on studies, there is a relationship seen among lower fertility and oral infections. Enhancement of oral hygiene by proper dental treatments will help to overcome the barrier on bearing a child. Keeping circumstances in mind, this review focus to identify the relationship among infection on oral cavity and fertility problems. This review helps to indicate the relationship among certain pathogen of periodontal disease with fertilization. Although some studies have proved about the inter relationship to certain extent, study must be carried out to know how the conditions relate to each other. Finally, based on few researches done, it is been found that there are possibilities showing the association among infertility and periodontal disease with men and women that may hinder the marital life of individuals. Still studies must be done in greater distance to show the results to prove stronger.
Cite this article:
Siddharthan Selvaraj, Nyi Nyi Naing, Nadiah Wan-Arfah. Effect of Periodontal Health in Marital Life. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(8):4463-5. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00775
Siddharthan Selvaraj, Nyi Nyi Naing, Nadiah Wan-Arfah. Effect of Periodontal Health in Marital Life. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(8):4463-5. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00775 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-8-81
1. Goepfert et al. Periodontal disease and upper genital tract inflammation in early spontaneous preterm birth. Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2004; 104(4): 777-783.
2. Manohar, J. Anti-protease activity of Lavender on Chronic Periodontitis patients-An Ex-vivo study. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, 2020. 10(2), pp.95-100.
3. John et al. Comparative Evaluation of Adjunctive use of Locally Delivered Tetracycline Fiber (Actisite) With Scaling and Root Planning in the Treatment of Chronic Periodontitisa Clinical Study. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology.2013; 6(1), pp.90-95.
4. Gnoth et al. Definition and prevalence of subfertility and infertility. Human Reproduction. 2005; 20(5): 1144–1147.
5. Sowjanya, G. A Study to Describe the Knowledge and Attitude of Infertile Women Regarding Assisted Reproductive Techniques (ART) at a Selected Infertility Clinic, Bangalore. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research.2011; 1(1), pp.06-08.
6. Divyashree, M. and Mathias, T. A Study to Assess the Bio-psychosocial Problems of Infertility women attending selected Infertility Clinics at Mangalore. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research.2015; 5(2), pp.270-273.
7. Hiremath, S.G. A Study to assess the knowledge regarding infertility among women's in selected OBG clinics in order to provide health education in a selected OBG clinics at Chitradurga, Karnataka. International Journal of Advances in Nursing Management.2017; 5(2), pp.155-158.
8. Dovom et al. A population-based study on infertility and its influencing factors in four selected provinces in Iran (2008-2010). Iranian Journal of Reproductive Medicine. 2014; 12(8): 561.
9. Shivhare et al. Management of Male Infertility by Neutraceutical: A Review. Research Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics.2011; 3(1), pp.10-14.
10. Hasanpoor et al. The emotional-psychological consequences of infertility among infertile women seeking treatment: results of a qualitative study. International Journal of Reproductive Biomedicine. 2014; 12(2): 131-138.
11. Kellesarian et al. Male infertility and dental health status: A systemic review. American Journal of Men’s Health.2016; 1-9.
12. Kharde, S.N. and Patted, S.S. Assess the Psychosocial Stressors among Infertile Women Undergoing Infertility Treatment. International Journal of Nursing Education and Research.2015; 3(2), pp.140-142.
13. Rajput, V. Infertility and Its Treatment. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research.2012; 2(2), p.70.
14. Pavlatou et al. Periodontal disease, infertility treatment and in vitro fertilization (IVF). Journal of Fertilization: In Vitro-IVF-Worldwide, Reproductive Medicine, Genetics and Stem Cell. 2015; 3(2): 148-154.
15. Paju et al. Porphyromonas gingivalis may interfere with conception in women. Journal of Oral Microbiology. 2017; 9, 1-6.
16. Shoukath et al. Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS): A Thief of Women hood. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Science.2018; 8(2), pp.68-72.
17. Hart et al. Periodontal disease: A potential modifiable risk factor limiting conception. Human Reproduction.2012; 27, 1332-1342.
18. Camabala, A.D. and Gajendran, P. Role of Interleukin 1 in Gingival Tissues in Chronic Periodontitis-A Review. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology.2017;10(9), pp.3185-3187.
19. Sirivelu et al. Effect of L-dopa on interleukin-1 beta-induced suppression of luteinizing hormone secretion in intact female rats. Human Reproduction.2009; 24: 718-725
20. Zmijewska et al. Role of interleukin-1OE≤ in the regulation of porcine corpora lutea during the late luteal phase of the cycle and during pregnancy. Acta Veterenaria Hungarica.2012; 60: 395-407.
21. Franczak et al. The effect of tumor necrosis factor α (TNFα), interleukin 1β (IL1β) and interleukin 6 (IL6) on endometrial PGF2α synthesis, metabolism and release in early-pregnant pigs. Theriogenology.2012;77: 155-165.
22. Oğuz et al. Is there a relationship between chronic periodontitis and erectile dysfunction? The Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2013; 10(3): 838-843.
23. Keller et al. A nationwide population-based study on the association between chronic periodontitis and erectile dysfunction. Journal of Clinical Periodontology. 2012; 39(6): 507-512.
24. Zadik et al. Erectile dysfunction might be associated with chronic periodontal disease: two ends of the cardiovascular spectrum. The Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2009; 6(4): 1111-1116.
25. Zuo et al. Effect of periodontitis on erectile function and its possible mechanism. The Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2011; 8(9): 2598-2605.
26. Eltas et al. The effect of periodontal treatment in improving erectile dysfunction: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of Clinical Periodontology. 2013; 40(2): 148-154.
27. Uppal et al. Association between erectile dysfunction and chronic periodontitis: a clinical study. Indian Journal of Dental Research. 2014; 25(4): 430.
28. Matsumoto et al. Association of ED with chronic periodontal disease. International Journal of Impotence Research. 2014; 26(1): 13-15.
29. Eastham J, Seymour R. Is oral health a risk factor for sexual health? Dental Update. 2015; 42(2): 160-162.
30. Balakesavan et al. Periodontal disease and overall health: An update. European Journal of General Dentistry.2013: 2, 102-108.