A new stability-indicating RP-UFLC method has been developed for the estimation of Bosentan in pharmaceutical dosage forms and the method was validated. Bosentan is used to lower the high blood pressure in lungs (pulmonary arterial hypertension). Bosentan acts by blocking the actions of endothelin -1and thereby lowers the blood pressure. Mobile phase mixture consisting of sodium acetate (pH 5.0) buffer solution and acetonitrile (50: 50 v/v) with flow rate 0.7 mL/min were the optimized chromatographic conditions (Detection wavelength 254 nm) for the present study. Linearity was observed in the concentration range of 0.1–100 µg/mL (R2 = 0.9998) with regression equation y = 126698 x – 392.49. The LOQ was found to be 0.08964 µg/mL and the LOD was found to be 0.02913 µg/mL. Stress degradation studies such as acidic, alkaline, oxidation, photolysis and thermal degradations were performed by exposing Bosentan and finally the proposed method was validated as per ICH guidelines. The assay of Bosentan was conducted by applying the proposed method to the marketed formulations. The proposed method is simple, specific, precise, and accurate and can be applied for the estimation of pharmaceutical formulations.
Cite this article:
Kalyani Lingamaneni, Mukthinuthalapati Mathrusri Annapurna. Development and validation of a new stability indicating RP-UFLC method for the estimation of Bosentan. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(8):4445-1. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00772
Kalyani Lingamaneni, Mukthinuthalapati Mathrusri Annapurna. Development and validation of a new stability indicating RP-UFLC method for the estimation of Bosentan. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(8):4445-1. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00772 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-8-78
1. O' Neil MJ. The Merck Index. An Encyclopedia of Chemicals, Drug and Biologicals. 2006.
2. Weber C, Gasser R, Hopfgartner G. Absorption, excretion, and metabolism of the endothelin receptor antagonist Bosentan in healthy male subjects. Drug Metab Dispos. 1999, 27: 810-815.
3. Weber C, Schmitt R, Birnboeck H, Hopfgartner G. Pharmaco kinetics and pharmaco dynamics of the endothelin-receptor antagonist Bosentan in healthy human subjects. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1996, 60: 124-137.
4. Mathrusri Annapurna M, Bisht SPS, Ravi Kumar BVV. Spectrophotometric determination of Bosentan and its application in pharmaceutical analysis. Int J Comprehensive Pharmacy. 2011; 2: 1-3.
5. Souvik Das, Narendra A, Raja Kumar V and Mathrusri Annapurna M. Validated new spectrophotometric methods for the estimation of Bosentan in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form. J Pharm Educ Res. 2010; 1: 73-76.
6. Ashok Kumar A, Anil Kumar A and Gouri Sankar D. Development, estimation and validation of Bosentan in bulk and in its pharmaceutical formulation by UV-Vis Spectroscopic method. Int J Pharm and Bio Sci. 2011; 2: 225-230.
7. Dhiraj Kumar, Sreenivas SA, Himansu Bhusan Samal, Suddhasattya Dey, Priyanka Y. Method development and estimation of Bosentan monohydrate in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage forms using UV-Visible spectrophotometer. J Pharm Res. 2011; 4: 1713- 1715.
8. Narendra A, Deepika D and Mathrusri Annapurna M. New spectrophotometric method for the determination of Bosentan – An anti-hypertensive Agent in pharmaceutical dosage forms. E- Journal of Chemistry. 2012; 9(2): 700-704.
9. Suganthi A, Sai Lakshmi CH. Development and validation of UV spectroscopic and HPTLC methods for the determination of Bosentan from tablet dosage form. Sch. Acad. J. Pharm. 2014; 3(2): 123-127.
10. Dell D, Lausecker B, Hopfgartner G, Giersbergen PLMV and Dingemanse J. Evolving bio analytical methods for the cardiovascular drug Bosentan. Chromatographia. 2002, 55, Supplement 1, S115-S119.
11. Lausecker B, Hess B, Fiscer G, Mueller M and Hopfgartner G. Simultaneous determination of Bosentan and its three major metabolites in various biological matrices and species using narrow bore liquid chromatography with ion spray tandem mass spectrometric detection. J Chromatogra B. Biomedical Sciences and Applications. 2000; 749: 67-83.
12. Lausecker B, Hopfgartner G. Determination of an endothelian receptor against in human plasma by narrow bore liquid chromatography and ion-spray tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr A. 1995; 712: 75-83.
13. Bansal G, Singh R, Saini B, Bansal Y. ESI-MS (n) and LC-ESI-MS studies to characterize forced degradation products of Bosentan and a validated stability-indicating LC-UV method. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 2012; 72: 186-197.
14. Parekh JM, Shah DK, Sanyal M, Yadav M and Shrivastav PS. Development of an SPE-LC-MS/MS method for simultaneous quantification of Bosentan and its active metabolite hydroxybosentan in human plasma to support a bioequivalence study. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 2012; 70(1): 462-470.
15. Karnaker Reddy T, Younus Md, Ravindra Reddy Y, Ashwini Kumar G, Sravan S. RP-HPLC method development and validation of Bosentan drug present in tablets. Int J Pharm Tech. 2010; 2: 577-587.
16. Sai Koushik O., Himaja V, Srinivasa Babu P, Ramadoss K. Development and validation of novel RP-HPLC Method for estimation of Bosentan in pharmaceutical dosage forms. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2015; 8(12): 1653-1661.
17. Selvadurai M, Jaya Raja K. Simple estimation of Bosentan in tablet formulation by RP-HPLC. American Journal of Analytical Chemistry. 2012; 3(1): 715-718.
18. Jatczak, M., Sidoryk, K., Kossykowska, M. et al. Development and validation of a UHPLC UV method for the in-process control of Bosentan monohydrate synthesis. Chromatographia. 2016; 79: 1131–1141.
19. Sanjay AJ, Shashikant BL, Sonali LJ, Navanath CN, Saroj RB and Vijayavitthal TM. Stability-indicating gradient RP-LC Method for the determination of process and degradation impurities in Bosentan monohydrate: An endothelin receptor antagonist. Chromatography Research International. 2011; Article ID 929876: 1-9.
20. Vijaya Kumar, Koteswara Satya Avinash Prabhakar E. HPLC method for the analysis of Bosentan and related substances and use of these substances as reference standards and markers. WO 2010/061210. PCT/GB2009/051474.
21. Chavanpatil MD, Rajeshkumar NV, Gulati A. Determination of endothelin antagonist BMS182874 in plasma by high-performance liquid chromatography. Die Pharmazie. 2006; 61: 525-527.
22. Mathrusri Annapurna M, Pavani S, Anusha S and Harika M. Validated stability indicating RP-HPLC method for the determination of Bosentan in presence of degradation products. Indo-American Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2013; 3(6): 4528-4540.
23. ICH. Validation of analytical procedures: Text and methodology Q2 (R1), International Conference on Harmonization, 2005.
24. ICH. Stability testing of new drug substances and products Q1A (R2), International Conference on Harmonization, 2003.