Bhushan A. Bhairav, Machindra J. Chavan
firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com
Bhushan A. Bhairav1*, Machindra J. Chavan2
1Department of Pharmaceutical Science, Mewar University, Chittorgarh, Rajasthan India.
2Amrutvahini College of Pharmacy, Sangamner, Maharashtra, India.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 8,
Year - 2021
Simple, swift, selective and accurate UV and HPLC methods were developed and validated for estimation of sofosbuvir in bulk and marketed preparation. In the UV spectroscopy method mobile phase used was methanol in 70:30 ratio with a detection wavelength of 260nm and the assay value obtained was 99.36%. The method was validated as stated by ICH in Q2 R1 guidelines in which linearity was detected from 06-30µg/ml range with regression value of 0.999. In the accuracy, precision and robustness studies RSD were below 2%. In HPLC method, Cosmosil C18 (250mm×4.6ID, Particle size: 5µ) column was utilized with methanol: water (70:30) as mobile phase, 0.9ml/min of flow rate, 260nm detection wavelength for estimation of sofosbuvir. Assay value obtained using this optimized parameters was 99.77% with the time of retention of around 4.3 minutes. HPLC method was also validated as stated by ICH in Q2 R1 guidelines in which linearity was noticed to be in the span of 10-50µg/ml with 0.999 of regression coefficient. LOD and LOQ values of the optimized method were 0.5764 and 1.7468µg/ml. In the accuracy, precision, robustness studies the value of RSD was under 2%. The optimized HPLC method was also utilized for the force degradation study, in which it was found that sofosbuvir is susceptible to oxidative, acid, alkaline, photolytic and thermal degradation. From this study it can be concluded that the developed methods can be employed in the routine analysis for sofosbuvir estimation in bulk and marketed preparation and also to determine degradation of drug.
Cite this article:
Bhushan A. Bhairav, Machindra J. Chavan. Method Development and Validation to Estimate Sofosbuvir in Marketed preparation by UV-Spectroscopy and HPLC along with force Degradation Study. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(8):4165-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00721
Bhushan A. Bhairav, Machindra J. Chavan. Method Development and Validation to Estimate Sofosbuvir in Marketed preparation by UV-Spectroscopy and HPLC along with force Degradation Study. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(8):4165-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00721 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-8-27
1. Bhatia HK, Singh H, Grewal N, Natt NK. Sofosbuvir: A novel treatment option for chronic hepatitis C infection. Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacotherapeutics. 2014 Oct; 5(4): 278.
2. Safety of Sofosbuvir, Daclatasvir in HCV Patients and RAVS in Resistent and Relapsed Cases. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/ NCT03572140 [Last accessed on 2020 Feb 24].
3. Sofosbuvir, Ledipasvir, Ribavirin for Hepatitis C Cirrhotics, Genotype 1 [cited 2020 Feb 24]. Available from: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/ NCT02705534[Last accessed on 2020 Feb 24]
4. Sofosbuvir, Daclatasvir, Ribavirin for Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) Cirrhotics. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/ show/NCT02596880 [Last accessed on 2020 Feb 24]
5. Treating Hepatitis C in CRF Using Sofosbuvir and Daclatasvir. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/ NCT03063879 [Last accessed on 2020 Feb 24]
6. Randomized, Open-Label, Study to Evaluate the Safety and Efficacy of Sofosbuvir Tablet Plus Ribavirin Tablet (Part A) Versus Single Dose (2 Tablets) of EHCV Containing Sofosbuvir, Ribavirin, and Natural Anti-hemolytic (B) in Egyptian Adults with Chronic Genotype 4 HCV Infection. https:// clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02483156[Last Accessed on 2020 Feb 24]
7. Herbst Jr DA, Reddy KR. Sofosbuvir, a nucleotide polymerase inhibitor, for the treatment of chronic hepatitis C virus infection. Expert Opinion on Investigational Drugs. 2013 Apr 1; 22(4): 527-36.
8. El Hamd MA, Ali R, Marzouk AA, Abdelmageed OH. Validated Ultraviolet-Spectrometric Method for Determination of Sofosbuvir in Tablets Formulation. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science. 2017 Feb; 7(02): 114-9.
9. Mansour FR. A new innovative spectrophotometric method for the simultaneous determination of sofosbuvir and ledipasvir. Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy. 2018 Jan 5; 188: 626-32.
10. Rani JS, Devanna N. A new RP-HPLC method development and validation for simultaneous estimation of sofosbuvir and velpatasvir in pharmaceutical dosage form. Int. J. Eng. Technol. Sci. Res. 2017 Nov; 4: 145-52.
11. Zaman B, Siddique F, Hassan W. RP-HPLC method for simultaneous determination of sofosbuvir and ledipasvir in tablet dosage form and its application to in vitro dissolution studies. Chromatographia. 2016 Dec 1; 79(23-24): 1605-13.
12. Salama FM, Attia KA, Abouserie AA, El-Olemy A, Abolmagd E. Application of TLC densitometric method for simultaneous estimation of the newly co-formulated antiviral agents ledipasvir and sofosbuvir in their tablet dosage form. Analytical Chemistry Letters. 2017 Mar 4; 7(2): 241-7.
13. El-Gizawy SM, El-Shaboury SR, Atia NN, Abo-Zeid MN. New, simple and sensitive HPTLC method for simultaneous determination of anti-hepatitis C sofosbuvir and ledipasvir in rabbit plasma. Journal of Chromatography B. 2018 Aug 15; 1092: 432-9.
14. El-Shaboury SR, El-Gizawy SM, Atia NN, Abo-Zeid MN. Validated spectrodensitometric method for simultaneous estimation of sofosbuvir, ribavirin and saxagliptin in their pure and pharmaceutical dosage forms. Current Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2018 May 1; 14(3): 212-8.
15. Abo-Zeid MN, El-Gizawy SM, Atia NN, El-Shaboury SR. Efficient HPTLC-dual wavelength spectrodensitometric method for simultaneous determination of sofosbuvir and daclatasvir: Biological and pharmaceutical analysis. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 2018 Jul 15; 156: 358-65.
16. Nebsen M, Elzanfaly ES. Stability-indicating method and LC–MS-MS characterization of forced degradation products of sofosbuvir. Journal of Chromatographic Science. 2016 Oct 17; 54(9): 1631-40.
17. Reddy CS, Khan KA, Nagaraja C. A Review on the Determination of Melting Point Measurement System. International Journal of Advanced Research in Electrical, Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering. 2016; 5(2): 975-9.
18. Bunaciu AA, Aboul-Enein HY, Fleschin S. Recent applications of fourier transform infrared spectrophotometry in herbal medicine analysis. Applied Spectroscopy Reviews. 2011 Apr 19; 46(4): 251-60.
19. Lim L, Yan F, Bach S, Pihakari K, Klein D. Fourier transform mass spectrometry: The transformation of modern environmental analyses. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 2016 Jan; 17(1): 104.
20. Larsson J. Methods for measurement of solubility and dissolution rate of sparingly soluble drugs. [Last accessed on 2020 Feb 25]
21. Savjani KT, Gajjar AK, Savjani JK. Drug solubility: importance and enhancement techniques. ISRN Pharmaceutics. 2012 Jul 5; 2012.
22. Eldin AS, Azab SM, Shalaby A, El-Maamly M. The development of a new validated HPLC and spectrophotometric methods for the simultaneous determination of daclatasvir and sofosbuvir: antiviral drugs. Journal Pharmacy and Pharmacology Research. 2017; 1(1): 28-42.
23. Hassouna ME, Mohamed MA. Novel and facile spectrophotometric techniques for the determination of sofosbuvir and ledipasvir in their tablet dosage form. J Anal Pharm Res. 2018; 7(2): 92-9.
24. Abo-Talib NF, El-Ghobashy MR, Tammam MH. Spectrophotometric methods for simultaneous determination of sofosbuvir and ledipasvir (HARVONI tablet): comparative study with two generic products. Journal of AOAC International. 2017 Jul 1; 100(4): 976-84.
25. Baker MM, El-Kafrawy DS, Mahrous MS, Belal TS. Validated spectrophotometric and chromatographic methods for analysis of the recently approved hepatitis C antiviral combination ledipasvir and sofosbuvir. In Annales Pharmaceutiques Francaises 2018 Jan 1 (Vol. 76, No. 1, pp. 16-31). Elsevier Masson.
26. Lalitha KV, Reddy JR, Devanna N. Stability indicating RP-HPLC method development and validation for estimation of sofosbuvir in pharmaceutical dosage form. The Pharma Innovation. 2018 May 1; 7(5, Part J): 656.
27. Vanaja B, Vageesh NM, Kistayya C, Urukundu V. RP-HPLC method development and validation for simultaneous estimation of sofosbuvir and velpatasvir in pure and pharmaceutical dosage form. Innovat International Journal of Medical and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2018 Jan 1; 3(1).
28. Bandla J, Ganapaty S. Stability indicating RP-HPLC method development and validation for the simultaneous determination of Sofosbuvir and Velpatasvir in tablet dosage forms. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biological Research. 2017 Sep 30; 5(04): 10-6.
29. Rote AP, Alhat J, Kulkarni AA. Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for the simultaneous estimation of ledipasvir and sofosbuvir in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form. Int J Pharm Sci Drug Res. 2017; 9(6): 291-8.
30. Miraghaei S, Mohammadi B, Babaei A, Keshavarz S, Bahrami G. Development and validation of a new HPLC-DAD method for quantification of sofosbuvir in human serum and its comparison with LC–MS/MS technique: Application to a bioequivalence study. Journal of Chromatography B. 2017 Sep 15; 1063: 118-22.
31. Rote AP, Alhat J, Kulkarni AA. Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for the simultaneous estimation of ledipasvir and sofosbuvir in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form. Int J Pharm Sci Drug Res. 2017; 9(6): 291-8.
32. Mastanamma SK, Chandini SK, Reehana SK, Saidulu P. Development and validation of stability indicating RP-HPLC method for the simultaneous estimation of Sofosbuvir and Ledipasvir in bulk and their combined dosage form. Future Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2018 Dec 1; 4(2): 116-23.