Viralkumar Patel, Chintan Pandya, Aditee Pandya, Dharmesh Patel, Zalak Patel
Viralkumar Patel1*, Chintan Pandya1, Aditee Pandya2, Dharmesh Patel1, Zalak Patel1
1Department of Chemistry, HVHP Institute of Post Graduate Studies and Research, Kadi Sarva Vishwavidyalaya, Gujarat, India.
2Department of Microbiology, School of Sciences, P P Savani University, Gujarat, India.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 8,
Year - 2021
A robust and rapid reversed-phase UHPLC method for routine determination of vildagliptin (VILDA) and metformin (MET) was developed and validated with DAD detection (207 nm). Chromatographic analysis was carried out with isocratic separation by C18 column (150mm x 2.1mm, 5µm) using a mobile phase with a mixture of 1.36 g phosphate buffer (pH 4.2) set to phosphoric acid and acetonitrile (80:20, v/v) with 0.6mL/min flow rate. The procedure was validated as per International Conference on Harmonization (ICH) guidelines for linearity (correlation coefficient r2 = 0.999), accuracy, intermediate precision, and robustness. Accuracy was 99.79%±0.54% and 100.07 %±0.34% for VILDA and MET, respectively. For precision, the %RSD was founded to be less than 2% for three concentrations analyzed from three replicates. The proposed method was used for successful determination of VILDA and MET in a pharmaceutical preparation.
Cite this article:
Viralkumar Patel, Chintan Pandya, Aditee Pandya, Dharmesh Patel, Zalak Patel. Novel UHPLC DAD Method for Simultaneous determination of Vildagliptin and Metformin in Bulk and its Tablet formulation. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(8):4143-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00717
Viralkumar Patel, Chintan Pandya, Aditee Pandya, Dharmesh Patel, Zalak Patel. Novel UHPLC DAD Method for Simultaneous determination of Vildagliptin and Metformin in Bulk and its Tablet formulation. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(8):4143-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00717 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-8-23
1. S. E. Inzucchi et al., “Management of hyperglycemia in type 2 diabetes: A patient-centered approach,” Diabetes Care, 2012; 35(6): 1364-1379.
2. C. J. Bailey. Metformin: historical overview. Diabetologia. 2017; 60(9): 1566-1576.
3. D. Kirpichnikov, S. I. McFarlane, and J. R. Sowers. Metformin: An update. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2002; 137(1): 25-33.
4. A. V. Matveyenko et al. Beneficial endocrine but adverse exocrine effects of sitagliptin in the human islet amyloid polypeptide transgenic rat model of type 2 diabetes: Interactions with metformin. Diabetes. 2009; 58(7): 1604-1615.
5. A. E. Butler, M. C. Campbell-Thompson, T. Gurlo, D. W. Dawson, M. Atkinson, and P. C. Butler. Marked expansion of exocrine and endocrine pancreas with incretin therapy in humans with increased exocrine pancreas dysplasia and the potential for glucagon-Producing neuroendocrine tumors. Diabetes. 2013; 62(7): 2595-2604.
6. B. Ahrén, M. Landin-Olsson, P. A. Jansson, M. Svensson, D. Holmes, and A. Schweizer. Inhibition of Dipeptidyl Peptidase-4 Reduces Glycemia, Sustains Insulin Levels, and Reduces Glucagon Levels in Type 2 Diabetes. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism., 2004; 89(5): 2078-2084.
7. M Vallender. The British Pharmacopoeia. The Stationery Office: London; Electronic version. 2009; pp. 3813-3816.
8. United States Pharmacopeia and National Formulary (USP 41-NF 36). Rockville, MD: United States Pharmacopeial Convention; 2016.
9. S. Nandipati, V. K. Reddy, and T. R. Reddy. Development and Validation of RP-HPLC method for Simultaneous Determination of Vildagliptin and Metformin in Bulk and Formulation Dosage. International Research Journal of Pharmaceutical and Applied Sciences. 2012; 2(3): 44-50.
10. M. Attimarad, S. H. Nagaraja, and B. E. Aldhubaib, “Development of a rapid reversed phase-high performance liquid chromatography method for simultaneous determination of metformin and vildagliptin in formulation and human plasma. Journal of Young Pharmacists 2014; 6(4): 40-46.
11. W. A. Dayyih and Z. Zakaria. Method Development And Validation of Vildagliptin and Metformin HCL in Pharmaceutical Dosage Form by Reversed Phase – High Performance Liquid Chromatography ( RP-HPLC ). International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences And Research 2018; 9(7): 2965-2972.
12. Bagary El RI, Azzazy E HM, Kady El EF and Farouk F. Simultaneous Determination of Metformin, Vildagliptin and 3-Amino-1-Adamantanol in Human Plasma : Application to Pharmacokinetic Studies. Journal of Liquid Chromatography and Related Technologies 2016; 39(4): 195-202.
13. Al M et al. Development and Validation of LC – MS / MS Method for Simultaneous Determination of Metformin and Four Gliptins in Human Plasma. Chromatographia. 2017; 80: 891-899
14. Pontarolo R, Gimenez AC, G. de Francisco TM, Ribeiro Ro P, D. Pontes FL and Gasparetto JC. Simultaneous Determination of Metformin and Vildagliptin in Human Plasma by A HILIC-MS/MS Method. Journal of Chromatography B. 2014; 965: 133-141.
15. Vitarani Dwi Ananda Ningrum , Ari Wibowo , Isma Fuaida, Zullies Ikawati, Ahmad Hamim Sadewa, Mohammad Robikhul Ikhsan. Validation of an HPLC-UV Method for the Determination of Metformin Hydrochloride in Spiked-human Plasma for the Application of Therapeutic Drug Monitoring. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2018; 11(6): 2197-2202.
16. Loujain Anis Dayoub, Fida Amali. Development of a new visible Spectrophotometric analytical method for determination of Vildagliptin in bulk and Pharmaceutical dosage forms. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(6): 2807-2810.
17. Naveed S, Rehman H, Qamar F and Zainab S. Method Development and Validation of Vildagliptin Using UV Spectrophotometer. International Journal of Pharma Sciences and Research 2014; 5(10): 714-717.
18. Bagary El- RI, Elkady EF and Ayoub BM. Spectrophotometric Methods for the Determination of Sitagliptin and Vildagliptin in Bulk and Dosage Forms. International Journal of Biomedical Science. 2011; 7(1): 55-61.
19. Moneeb MS. Spectrophotometric and Spectrofluorimetric Methods for The Determination of Saxagliptin and Vildagliptin in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Preparations. Bulletin of Faculty of Pharmacy, Cairo University. 2013; 51(2): 139-150.
20. B. Sivagami, A Purushotham, Pranabesh Sikdar, R. Chandrasekar, M. Niranjan Babu. A Validated Method for The Simultaneous Estimation of Linagliptin and Metformin in Tablet Dosage Forms by RP-HPLC. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(3): 1266-1270.
21. Nachiket S. Dighe, Ganesh S. Shinde, Vikas B. Shinde. Simultaneous Estimation and Validation of Canagliflozin and Metformin Hydrochloride in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Dosage Form by using RP-HPLC. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(10): 4953-4957.
22. Boovizhikannan T and Kumar V. RP-HPLC Determination of Vildagliptin in Pure and in Tablet Formulation. Journal of Pharmacy Research. 2013; 7(1): 113-116.
23. Dist RR. Research Article Formulation Development and In-Vitro Characterization of Oral Levetiracetam Microspheres. Int . Res J Pharm. App Sci. 2012; 2(3): 13-21.
24. Pharne AB, Santhakumari B, Ghemud AS, Jain HK and Kulkarni MJ. Bioanalytical Method Development and Validation of Vildagliptin a Novel Dipeptidyl Peptidase IV Inhibitor by RP-HPLC Method. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2012; 4(3): 119-123.
25. Eid SM, Soliman SS, Elghobashy MR and Abdalla OM. Vibrational Spectroscopy ATR-FTIR Coupled with Chemometrics for Quantification of Vildagliptin and Metformin in Pharmaceutical Combinations Having Diverged Concentration Ranges. Vibrational Spectroscopy 2019; 106: 102995.
26. Patel VA, Pandya C, Pandya A, Kumbhani J, Patel D and Patel Z. Concurrent Determination of Teneligliptin Hydrobromide Hydrate and Metformin Hydrochloride Development and Validation by UV-VIS Spectrophotometry in Bulk and Pharmac. International Journal of Technical Innovation in Modern Engineering & Science; 2019; 5(3): 296-303.
27. PM Patil, MA Phanse, VL Gaikwad, PD Chaudhari. Direct Spectrophotometeric Determination of Metformin Hydrochloride in Pure Form and in Pharmaceutical Formulations. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2009; 2 (4): 874-875.
28. Syed Azhar Nizami, Vazir Ashfaq Ahmed, SC Marihal. Simultaneous Spectrophotometric Analysis of Glimiperide , Metformin and Piogilitazone HCl in Combined Dosage Form. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2010; 3(2): 518-521.
29. Prasad PBN, Satyanaryana K and Krishnamohan G. Development and Validation of a Method for Simultaneous Determination of Metformin and Saxagliptin in a Formulation by RP-HPLC. American Journal of Analytical Chemistry. 2015; 06(11): 841-850.
30. Maha F. Abdel-Ghany, Miriam F. Ayad, Mariam M. Tadros. A Mini-Review of Spectrophotometric and Chromatographic Analysis and Bioanalysis of Selected Recently Approved Anti-Diabetic Combinations. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10(9): 3161-3172.
31. Vitarani Dwi Ananda Ningrum , Ari Wibowo , Isma Fuaida, Zullies Ikawati, Ahmad Hamim Sadewa, Mohammad Robikhul Ikhsan. Validation of an HPLC-UV Method for the Determination of Metformin Hydrochloride in Spiked-human Plasma for the Application of Therapeutic Drug Monitoring. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018; 11(6): 2197-2202.
32. B. Sivagami, A Purushotham, Pranabesh Sikdar, R. Chandrasekar, M. Niranjan Babu. A Validated Method for The Simultaneous Estimation of Linagliptin and Metformin in Tablet Dosage Forms by RP-HPLC. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(3): 1266-1270.
33. Miral Rank, Pankaj Kapupara, Ketan Shah. Development and Validation of Stability Indicating HPTLC Method for Pioglitazone Hydrochloride and Metformin Hydrochloride. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2016; 9(10): 1555-1561.
34. Peraman R and Sekhar C. Stability-Indicating RP-HPLC Method for Simultaneous Determination of M etformin Hydrochloride and Sitagliptin Phosphate in Dosage Forms. Chromatographia 2013; 76: 1153-1162.
35. Fachi MM, Cerqueira LB, Leonart LP, G. De Francisco TM and Pontarolo R. Simultaneous Quantification of Antidiabetic Agents in Human Plasma by a UPLC-Q ToF- MS Method. PLoS One. 2016; 11(12): 1-17.