Vignesh Kamath, Priya Mukherjee, Swapna B V, Mayuri Kamath
Vignesh Kamath1, Priya Mukherjee2, Swapna B V3, Mayuri Kamath4
1Assistant Professor, Department of Prosthodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, Melaka Manipal Medical College, Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal - 576104, Karnataka.
2Post Graduate Student, Department of Prosthodontics Crown and Bridge, JSS Dental College, Mysore, Karnataka.
3Associate Professor, Department of Prosthodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, Melaka Manipal Medical College, Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal - 576104 Karnataka.
4Assistant Professor, Department of Prosthodontics, A.J Institute of Dental Science, Kuntikana, Mangalore - 575004, Karnataka.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 7,
Year - 2021
Nano technology is the science and engineering related to particles sized 10-9 of a meter. Albeit, the small size, they have opened up a huge array of possibilities for this world. By the inclusion of nanoparticles in various materials not only, the field of engineering but also, medical and dentistry have been benefitted largely. Researchers have manipulated the particles at a molecular and atomic level, which have opened up huge possibilities for the same material. The recent advances have helped to achieve accurate and fast diagnosis, helped to prolong the longevity of dental materials and hence helped to create a healthy oral environment. However, with all these developments, it is important that we focus on the shortcoming or the hazards too and carefully comply with the same before its long-term application. Therefore, this article focuses on the basis, all the present applications of Nano dentistry and the potential it holds for the field of dentistry in future.
Cite this article:
Vignesh Kamath, Priya Mukherjee, Swapna B V, Mayuri Kamath. Nanodentistry: Present and Future. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(7):3976-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00689
Vignesh Kamath, Priya Mukherjee, Swapna B V, Mayuri Kamath. Nanodentistry: Present and Future. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(7):3976-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00689 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-7-86
2. Subramani K, Ahmed W, editors. Nanobiomaterials in clinical dentistry. William Andrew; 2012; Dec 31.
3. Abiodun‑Solanke IM, Ajayi DM, Arigbede AO. Nanotechnology and its application in dentistry. Annals of Medical and Health Sciences Research. 2014; 4(3): 171-7.
4. Priyadarsini S, Mukherjee S, Mishra M. Nanoparticles used in dentistry: A review. Journal Of Oral Biology and Craniofacial research. 2018; 8(1): 58-67.
5. Sneha B. Application of nanotechnology in dentistry. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2014; 7(1): 81-3.
6. Tetè S, Mastrangelo F, Traini T, Vinci R, Sammartino G, Marenzi G et al. A macro- and nanostructure evaluation of a novel dental implant. Implant Dent 2008; 17: 309-20
7. Gaikwad RM, Sokolov I. Silica nanoparticles to polish tooth surfaces for caries prevention. Journal of Dental Research. 2008; 87(10): 980-3.
8. Anusavice KJ, Shen C, Rawls HR, editors. Phillips' Science of Dental Materials. Elsevier Health Sciences; 2012 Sep 27.
9. Mantri SS, Mantri SP. The nano era in dentistry. J Nat Sci Biol Med 2013; 4: 39-44.
10. Piñón-Segundo E, Mendoza-Muñoz N, Quintanar-Guerrero D. Nanoparticles as dental drug-delivery systems. In Nanobiomaterials in Clinical Dentistry 2013 Jan 1 (pp. 475-495). William Andrew Publishing.
11. Lakshmi KR, Nelakurthi H, Kumar AS, Rudraraju A. Oral fluid-based biosensors: A novel method for rapid and noninvasive diagnosis. Indian Journal of Dental Sciences. 2017 Jan 1; 9(1): 60.
12. Birajdar GO, Kadam VS, Chintale AG, Halle PD, Nabde MK, Maske KS. A Comprehensive review on nanotechnology. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2013; 6(5): 486-95.
13. Verma M, Sheoran P, Chaudhury A. Application of Nanotechnology for Cancer Treatment. In Advances in Animal Biotechnology and its Applications 2018 (pp. 161-178). Springer, Singapore.
14. Malon RS, Sadir S, Balakrishnan M, Córcoles EP. Saliva-based biosensors: noninvasive monitoring tool for clinical diagnostics. BioMed research international. 2014;
15. Venkatesh, S.B., Kamath, V. Pharmacotheurapetics in Prosthodontics – A Review. Research J. Pharm. and Tech.2020; 13 (6), 2997-3000.
16. Sarika V. Khandbahale, R. B. Saudagar. Nanoparticle- A Review. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2017; 7(3): 162-172.
17. Dange YD, Honmane SM, Patil PA, Gaikwad UT, Jadge DR. Nanotechnology, Nanodevice Drug Delivery System: A Review. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2017; 7(2): 63-71.
18. Suresh A. Marnoor. A Review on Nanoparticles and its Applications in Therapeutics as a Novel Drug Delivery System. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2019; 9(2): 125-128.
19. Saurabh T, Shweta S, Pushpendra K T, Chetan K D. A Review- Nanogel Drug Delivery System. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 5(4): Oct.-Dec. 2015; Page 253-255
20. Sriram K, Vishnupriya V, Gayathri R. Review on the role of Nanotechnology in Dentistry and Medicine. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2016; 9(8): 1249-52.