Heba S. Elsewedy, Bandar E. Al-Dhubiab, Mahmoud A. Mahdy, Hanan M. Elnahas
email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com
Heba S. Elsewedy1,2*, Bandar E. Al-Dhubiab2, Mahmoud A. Mahdy1, Hanan M. Elnahas1
1Department of Pharmaceutics and Industrial Pharmacy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Zagazig University, Zagazig Egypt.
2Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Clinical Pharmacy, King Faisal University, Saudi Arabia.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 7,
Year - 2021
One of the widely efficient and noteworthy nanocarriers that could draw a great attention toward pharmaceutical fields is nanoemulsions (NEs). NEs are thermodynamically stable colloidal dispersions composed of two immiscible liquids, oil and water that mixed together using emulsifying agent (surfactant and co-surfactant). It regarded as pharmaceutical dosage form having droplet size within a nanometer range, hence it has extensively considered as carrier for delivering active agents. Such carrier is fabricated in order to overcome some obstacles associated with conventional drug delivery systems especially low bioavailability. The objective of this review is to present an overview about NE and its latest applications in diverse areas such as drug delivery, cosmeceutical and nutraceutical. Clarifications about different mechanisms of NEs development that are frequently used were provided. Correspondingly, popular characterization techniques for NEs such as determination of particle size, polydispersity index (PDI), zeta potential and viscosity were reviewed. Eventually, summary of physical and chemical instability in addition to the regulatory aspects of NE were provided.
Cite this article:
Heba S. Elsewedy, Bandar E. Al-Dhubiab, Mahmoud A. Mahdy, Hanan M. Elnahas. Basic Concepts of Nanoemulsion and its Potential application in Pharmaceutical, Cosmeceutical and Nutraceutical fields. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(7):3938-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00684
Heba S. Elsewedy, Bandar E. Al-Dhubiab, Mahmoud A. Mahdy, Hanan M. Elnahas. Basic Concepts of Nanoemulsion and its Potential application in Pharmaceutical, Cosmeceutical and Nutraceutical fields. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(7):3938-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00684 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-7-81
1. Ud Din F, Aman W, Ullah I, Qureshi OS, Mustapha O, Shafique S, et al. Effective use of nanocarriers as drug delivery systems for the treatment of selected tumors. Int J Nanomedicine. 2017; 12: 7291.
2. Pagar KR, Darekar AJAJoRiPS. Nanoemulsion: A new concept of Delivery System. 2019; 9(1): 39-46.
3. Karami Z, Zanjani MRS, Hamidi M. Nanoemulsions in CNS drug delivery: recent developments, impacts and challenges. Drug Discov Today. 2019; 24(5): 1104-15.
4. Espitia P, Fuenmayor C, Otoni C. Nanoemulsions: Synthesis, Characterization, and Application in Bio‐Based Active Food Packaging. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety. 2018.
5. Liu Y, Wei Z-C, Deng Y-Y, Dong H, Zhang Y, Tang X-J, et al. Comparison of the effects of different food-grade emulsifiers on the properties and stability of a casein-maltodextrin-soybean oil compound emulsion. Molecules. 2020; 25(3): 458.
6. Che Marzuki NH, Wahab RA, Abdul Hamid M. An overview of nanoemulsion: concepts of development and cosmeceutical applications. Biotechnology and Biotechnological Equipment. 2019; 33(1): 779-97.
7. Solans C, Morales D, Homs M. Spontaneous emulsification. Current Opinion in Colloid and Interface Science. 2016; 22: 88-93.
8. Shah P, Bhalodia D, Shelat P. Nanoemulsion: A pharmaceutical review. Systematic Reviews in Pharmacy. 2010; 1: 24.
9. Qadir A, Faiyazuddin M, Hussain MT, Alshammari TM, Shakeel F. Critical steps and energetics involved in a successful development of a stable nanoemulsion. J Mol Liq. 2016; 214: 7-18.
10. Ahmad N, Alam MA, Ahmad FJ, Sarafroz M, Ansari K, Sharma S, et al. Ultrasonication techniques used for the preparation of novel Eugenol-Nanoemulsion in the treatment of wounds healings and anti-inflammatory. J Drug Deliv Sci Technol. 2018; 46: 461-73.
11. V D, V R. Nanoemulsions: As Modified Drug Delivery Tool. International Journal of Comprehensive Pharmacy. 2011; 2.
12. Usón N, Garcia MJ, Solans C. Formation of water-in-oil (W/O) nano-emulsions in a water/mixed non-ionic surfactant/oil systems prepared by a low-energy emulsification method. Colloids Surf Physicochem Eng Aspects. 2004; 250(1): 415-21.
13. Mason G, Wilking J, Meleson K, Chang C, Graves S. Nanoemulsions: Formation, structure, and physical properties. J Phys: Condens Matter. 2006; 18: R635.
14. Deore SK, Surawase RK, Maru AJRJoPDF, Technology. Formulation and Evaluation of O/W Nanoemulsion of Ketoconazole. 2019; 11(4): 269-4.
15. Elsewedy HS, Dhubiab BEA, Mahdy MA, Elnahas HM. Development, optimization, and evaluation of PEGylated brucine-loaded PLGA nanoparticles. Drug Delivery. 2020; 27(1): 1134-46.
16. Gurpreet K, Singh S. Review of nanoemulsion formulation and characterization techniques. Indian J Pharm Sci. 2018; 80(5): 781-9.
17. Honary S, Zahir F. Effect of Zeta Potential on the Properties of Nano-Drug Delivery Systems - A Review (Part 1). Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2013; 12.
18. Shehata TM, Nair AB, Al-Dhubiab BE, Shah J, Jacob S, Alhaider IA, et al. Vesicular Emulgel Based System for Transdermal Delivery of Insulin: Factorial Design and in Vivo Evaluation. 2020; 10(15): 5341.
19. Nagajyothi M, Pramod K, Bijin E, Baby JN, Valsalakumari JJRJoPDF, Technology. Nanoemulsified System of a Poorly Water-Soluble Drug. 2015; 7(3): 169-74.
20. Debnath S, Kumar GV, Satayanarayana SJRJoP, Technology. Design, Development and Evaluation of Novel Nanoemulsion of Terbinafine HCl. 2012; 5(10): 1301-7.
21. Luykx DM, Peters RJ, van Ruth SM, Bouwmeester H. A review of analytical methods for the identification and characterization of nano delivery systems in food. J Agric Food Chem. 2008; 56(18): 8231-47.
22. Ferreira LM, Cervi VF, Gehrcke M, da Silveira EF, Azambuja JH, Braganhol E, et al. Ketoprofen-loaded pomegranate seed oil nanoemulsion stabilized by pullulan: selective antiglioma formulation for intravenous administration. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces. 2015; 130: 272-7.
23. Srilatha R, Aparna C, Srinivas P, Sadanandam M. Formulation, evaluation and characterization of Glipizide nanoemulsion. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research. 2013; 6: 66-71.
24. Morsy MA, Abdel-Latif RG, Nair AB, Venugopala KN, Ahmed AF, Elsewedy HS, et al. Preparation and Evaluation of Atorvastatin-Loaded Nanoemulgel on Wound-Healing Efficacy. Pharmaceutics. 2019; 11(11).
25. Alam M, Ali m, Alam M, Anwer T, Mohsen M, Safhi A. Stability Testing of Beclomethasone Dipropionate Nanoemulsion. Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2015; 14: 15-20.
26. Ahmed AA, Dash SJRJoP, Technology. Application of Novel Nanoemulsion in Drug Targeting. 2017; 10(8): 2809-18.
27. Gupta A, Eral HB, Hatton TA, Doyle PS. Nanoemulsions: formation, properties and applications. Soft matter. 2016; 12(11): 2826-41.
28. Jafari SM, McClements DJ. Nanoemulsions: Formulation, applications, and characterization: Academic Press; 2018.
29. Arancibia C, Miranda M, Matiacevich S, Troncoso E. Physical properties and lipid bioavailability of nanoemulsion-based matrices with different thickening agents. Food Hydrocolloids. 2017; 73: 243-54.
30. Bai L, Liu F, Xu X, Huan S, Gu J, McClements DJ. Impact of polysaccharide molecular characteristics on viscosity enhancement and depletion flocculation. J Food Eng. 2017; 207: 35-45.
31. Thompson KL, Derry MJ, Hatton FL, Armes SP. Long-term stability of n-alkane-in-water pickering nanoemulsions: Effect of aqueous solubility of droplet phase on Ostwald ripening. Langmuir. 2018; 34(31): 9289-97.
32. Liu Q, Huang H, Chen H, Lin J, Wang Q. Food-Grade Nanoemulsions: Preparation, Stability and Application in Encapsulation of Bioactive Compounds. Molecules. 2019; 24(23).
33. Walker R, Decker EA, McClements DJ. Development of food-grade nanoemulsions and emulsions for delivery of omega-3 fatty acids: opportunities and obstacles in the food industry. Food Funct. 2015; 6(1): 42-55.
34. Mathialagan V, Sugumaran A, Narayanaswamy DJRJoP, Technology. Nanoemulsion: Importance in Pharmaceutical Nanotechnology. 2020; 13(4): 2007-12.
35. Khan Y, Gupta P, Bihari B, Sharma VK, Aziz IJRJoT, Sciences C. A Review-Miracle of Nanotechnology in Cosmetics. 2014; 5(1): 15-22.
36. Singh V, Mahaur S, Kushwaha SKJAJoRiC. Nutraceuticals: A new golden era in health and disease. 2018; 11(3): 652-8.
37. Singh Y, Meher JG, Raval K, Khan FA, Chaurasia M, Jain NK, et al. Nanoemulsion: Concepts, development and applications in drug delivery. J Control Release. 2017; 252: 28-49.
38. Sánchez-López E, Guerra M, Dias-Ferreira J, Lopez-Machado A, Ettcheto M, Cano A, et al. Current Applications of Nanoemulsions in Cancer Therapeutics. 2019; 9(6): 821.
39. Khandavilli S, Panchagnula R. Nanoemulsions as versatile formulations for paclitaxel delivery: peroral and dermal delivery studies in rats. J Invest Dermatol. 2007; 127(1): 154-62.
40. Shaker DS, Ishak RA, Elhuoni MA, Ghoneim AM. Boosting transdermal delivery of atorvastatin calcium via o/w nanoemulsifying system: Two-step optimization, ex vivo and in vivo evaluation. Int J Pharm. 2020; 578: 119073.
41. Shakhwar S, Darwish R, Kamal MM, Nazzal S, Pallerla S, Abu Fayyad A. Development and evaluation of paclitaxel nanoemulsion for cancer therapy. Pharm Dev Technol. 2020; 25(4): 510-6.
42. Zeng L, Liu Y, Pan J, Liu X. Formulation and evaluation of norcanthridin nanoemulsions against the Plutella xylostella (Lepidotera: Plutellidae). BMC Biotechnol. 2019; 19(1): 16.
43. Wahgiman NA, Salim N, Abdul Rahman MB, Ashari SE. Optimization of nanoemulsion containing gemcitabine and evaluation of its cytotoxicity towards human fetal lung fibroblast (MRC5) and human lung carcinoma (A549) cells. Int J Nanomedicine. 2019; 14: 7323-38.
44. Ahmad N, Ahmad R, Mohammed Buheazaha T, Salman AlHomoud H, Al-Nasif HA, Sarafroz M. A comparative ex vivo permeation evaluation of a novel 5-Fluorocuracil nanoemulsion-gel by topically applied in the different excised rat, goat, and cow skin. Saudi J Biol Sci. 2020; 27(4): 1024-40.
45. Shah J, Nair AB, Jacob S, Patel RK, Shah H, Shehata TM, et al. Nanoemulsion based vehicle for effective ocular delivery of moxifloxacin using experimental design and pharmacokinetic study in rabbits. Pharmaceutics. 2019; 11(5): 230.
46. Elsewedy HS, Aldhubiab BE, Mahdy MA, Elnahas HM. Brucine PEGylated nanoemulsion: In vitro and in vivo evaluation. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects. 2021; 608: 125618.
47. Kaul S, Gulati N, Verma D, Mukherjee S, Nagaich U. Role of Nanotechnology in Cosmeceuticals: A Review of Recent Advances. Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2018; 2018: 3420204.
48. Azmi NAN, Elgharbawy AAM, Motlagh SR, Samsudin N, Salleh HM. Nanoemulsions: Factory for Food, Pharmaceutical and Cosmetics. 2019; 7(9): 617.
49. El-Leithy ES, Makky AM, Khattab AM, Hussein DG. Optimization of nutraceutical coenzyme Q10 nanoemulsion with improved skin permeability and anti-wrinkle efficiency. Drug Dev Ind Pharm. 2018; 44(2): 316-28.
50. Poomanee W, Khunkitti W, Chaiyana W, Leelapornpisid P. Optimization of Mangifera indica L. Kernel Extract-Loaded Nanoemulsions via Response Surface Methodology, Characterization, Stability, and Skin Permeation for Anti-Acne Cosmeceutical Application. 2020; 12(5): 454.
51. Roselan MA, Ashari SE, Faujan NH, Mohd Faudzi SM, Mohamad R. An Improved Nanoemulsion Formulation Containing Kojic Monooleate: Optimization, Characterization and In Vitro Studies. Molecules. 2020; 25(11).
52. Su R, Yang L, Wang Y, Yu S, Guo Y, Deng J, et al. Formulation, development, and optimization of a novel octyldodecanol-based nanoemulsion for transdermal delivery of ceramide IIIB. Int J Nanomedicine. 2017; 12: 5203-21.
53. Barreto SMAG, Maia MS, Benicá AM, de Assis HRBS, Leite-Silva VR, da Rocha-Filho PA, et al. Evaluation of in vitro and in vivo safety of the by-product of Agave sisalana as a new cosmetic raw material: Development and clinical evaluation of a nanoemulsion to improve skin moisturizing. Industrial Crops and Products. 2017; 108: 470-9.
54. Quintão FJ, Tavares RS, Vieira-Filho SA, Souza GH, Santos OD. Hydroalcoholic extracts of Vellozia squamata: study of its nanoemulsions for pharmaceutical or cosmetic applications. Revista Brasileira de Farmacognosia. 2013; 23(1): 101-7.
55. Al-Edresi S, Baie S. Formulation and stability of whitening VCO-in-water nano-cream. Int J Pharm. 2009; 373(1-2): 174-8.
56. Aboalnaja KO, Yaghmoor S, Kumosani TA, McClements DJ. Utilization of nanoemulsions to enhance bioactivity of pharmaceuticals, supplements, and nutraceuticals: Nanoemulsion delivery systems and nanoemulsion excipient systems. Expert opinion on drug delivery. 2016; 13(9): 1327-36.
57. Riquelme N, Zúñiga RN, Arancibia C. Physical stability of nanoemulsions with emulsifier mixtures: Replacement of tween 80 with quillaja saponin. LWT. 2019; 111: 760-6.
58. Khan I, Bahuguna A, Kumar P, Bajpai VK, Kang SC. In vitro and in vivo antitumor potential of carvacrol nanoemulsion against human lung adenocarcinoma A549 cells via mitochondrial mediated apoptosis. Sci Rep. 2018; 8(1): 1-15.
59. Nunes R, Pereira BD, Cerqueira MA, Silva P, Pastrana LM, Vicente AA, et al. Lactoferrin-based nanoemulsions to improve the physical and chemical stability of omega-3 fatty acids. Food Funct. 2020; 11(3): 1966-81.
60. Park SJ, Hong SJ, Garcia CV, Lee SB, Shin GH, Kim JT. Stability evaluation of turmeric extract nanoemulsion powder after application in milk as a food model. J Food Eng. 2019; 259: 12-20.
61. Mohammed NK, Muhialdin BJ, Meor Hussin AS. Characterization of nanoemulsion of Nigella sativa oil and its application in ice cream. Food Sci Nutr. 2020; 8(6): 2608-18.
62. Pongsumpun P, Iwamoto S, Siripatrawan U. Response surface methodology for optimization of cinnamon essential oil nanoemulsion with improved stability and antifungal activity. Ultrason Sonochem. 2020; 60: 104604.
63. Prakash A, Vadivel V, Rubini D, Nithyanand P. Antibacterial and antibiofilm activities of linalool nanoemulsions against Salmonella Typhimurium. Food bioscience. 2019; 28: 57-65.
64. Zhou X, Wang H, Wang C, Zhao C, Peng Q, Zhang T, et al. Stability and in vitro digestibility of beta-carotene in nanoemulsions fabricated with different carrier oils. Food Sci Nutr. 2018; 6(8): 2537-44.
65. Dasgupta N, Ranjan S, Gandhi M. Nanoemulsions in food: market demand. Environ Chem Lett. 2019; 17(2): 1003-9.
66. Ventola CL. Progress in nanomedicine: approved and investigational nanodrugs. Pharmacy and Therapeutics. 2017; 42(12): 742.