S. Sushanthi, Jayashri Prabakar, Meignana Arumugham Indiran, R. Pradeep Kumar, Srisakthi Doraikannan, Leelavathi L., S. Rajesh Kumar
S. Sushanthi1, Jayashri Prabakar2*, Meignana Arumugham Indiran3, R. Pradeep Kumar3, Srisakthi Doraikannan4, Leelavathi L.4, S. Rajesh Kumar5
1Post-Graduate Student, Saveetha Dental College, Saveetha University, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Science, Chennai, India.
2Senior Lecturer, Department of Public Health Dentistry, Saveetha Dental College, Saveetha University, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Science, Chennai, India.
3Professor, Department of Public Health Dentistry, Saveetha Dental College, SIMATS, Chennai- 77, India.
4Reader, Department of Public Health Dentistry, Saveetha Dental College, SIMATS, Chennai- 77, India.
5Department of Pharmacology, Saveetha Dental College, SIMATS, Chennai- 77, India.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 7,
Year - 2021
Background: Rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) is a medicinal plant native to the Mediterranean region and cultivated around the world. This medicinal plant possesses antimicrobial and antioxidant properties. It has been proved that naturally occurring active ingredients of herbal medicinal plants shows least adverse effects and can act as effective oral hygiene aid for the control of common oral diseases without the need for synthetically derived or chemical agents. Hence, the present study invitro was designed to assess the cytotoxic and antioxidant effects of rosemary so that it can be used as an effective plaque control measures against various oral diseases. Materials and Methods: Rosemary leaves were procured from the markets of South India and were powdered to prepare the aqueous and ethanolic plant extract. The plant extracts were then subjected for cytotoxic and antioxidant analysis. Cytotoxic effects were evaluated using Brine shrimp lethality assay and antioxidant effects using DPPH radical scavenging assay. After the evaluation of antioxidant and cytotoxic property, rosemary-based toothpaste using herbal tooth formulation was prepared. Results: The results show that 5,10 and 15µl conc. all the nauplii fishes were alive in rosemary toothpaste whereas 60% of fishes were dead. Rosemary toothpaste have good antioxidant property when compared to fluoride toothpaste. Descriptive statistics were used. Conclusion: From the above findings, rosemary containing dentifrice has very less cytotoxicity and good antioxidant properties when compared with fluoride dentifrice and it can be served as an excellent replacement of several commercially available dentifrices.
Cite this article:
S. Sushanthi, Jayashri Prabakar, Meignana Arumugham Indiran, R. Pradeep Kumar, Srisakthi Doraikannan, Leelavathi L., S. Rajesh Kumar. Assessment of Cytotoxic and Antioxidant Effects of Rosmarinus officinalis and Fluoride containing Dentifrice - An In vitro Study. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(7):3779-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00654
S. Sushanthi, Jayashri Prabakar, Meignana Arumugham Indiran, R. Pradeep Kumar, Srisakthi Doraikannan, Leelavathi L., S. Rajesh Kumar. Assessment of Cytotoxic and Antioxidant Effects of Rosmarinus officinalis and Fluoride containing Dentifrice - An In vitro Study. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(7):3779-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00654 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-7-51
1. Priyanga Rangasamy, Vadakkenchery Salimudheen Hansiya, Palanisamy Uma Maheswari, Thamburaj Suman, Natesan Geetha. Phytochemical Analysis and Evaluation of In vitro Antioxidant and Anti-urolithiatic Potential of various fractions of Clitoria ternatea L. Blue Flowered Leaves. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2019; 9(2): 67-76. doi: 10.5958/2231-5675.2019.00014.0
2. Valli G, Jeyalakshmi M. Preliminary Phytochemical and Antioxidant Study of Odina woodier Leaf Extract. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2012; 2(4): 153-155
3. Shivani Sharma, Manpreet Rana, Hitesh Kumar, Bharat Parashar. It’s era to move towards nature for getting beneficial effects of plants having Antioxidant activity to fight against deleterious diseases. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2013; 3(2): 103-106
4. Rangarajan Narasimhan, Sathiyamoorthy. M. Phytochemical Screening and Antioxidant Studies in the Pulp Extracts of Cucurbita maxima. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2016; 6(1): 01-04. doi: 10.5958/2231-5691.2016.00001.0
5. Ch. Madhu, J. Swapna, K. Neelima , Monic V. Shah. A Comparative Evaluation of the Antioxidant Activity of Some Medicinal Plants Popularly Used in India. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2012; 2(3): 98-100.
6. N. Naidu, G. Sudheer Kumar, K. Sivakrishna, K. Anjinaik, L. Praveen Kumar, G. Sneha. Anti microbial and antioxidant evolution of aqueous extract of Terminalia chebula using disc diffusion, H2O2 scavenging methods. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2017; 7(2): 112-114. doi: 10.5958/ 2231-5659.2017.00017.0
7. American Dental Association Description of Toothpaste Toothpaste. 2010, 15.
8. Frank Lippert et al., Toothpastes. Monogr Oral Sci. Basel, Karger, 2013; vol 23, pp 1–14
9. Pannuti CM, Mattos JP, Ranoya PN, Jesus AM, Lotufo RF, Romito GA, et al. Clinical effect of a herbal dentifrice on the control of plaque and gingivitis: A double-blind study. Pesqui Odontol Bras 2003; 17: 314-8.
10. González-Trujano ME, Peña EI, Martínez AL, Moreno J, Guevara-Fefer P, Déciga-Campos M, et al. Evaluation of the antinociceptive effect of Rosmarinus officinalis L. using three different experimental models in rodents. J Ethnopharmacol. 2007; 111: 476-82.
11. Silva MSA, Silva MAR, Higino JS, Pereira MSV, Carvalho A de AT. Antimicrobial and nonstick activity of the extract of Rosmarinus officinalis Linn. On planktonic oral bacteria. Rev Bras Farmacogn 2008; 18: 236-240.
12. Martínez AL, González-Trujano ME, Pellicer F, López-Muñoz FJ, Navarrete A. Antinociceptive effect and GC/MS analysis of Rosmarinus officinalis L. essential oil from its aerial parts. Planta Med. 2009; 75: 508-11.
13. Scheckel KA, Degner SC, Romagnolo DF. Rosmarinic acid antagonizes activator protein-1-dependent activation of cyclooxygenase-2 expression in human cancer and nonmalignant cell lines. J Nutr. 2008; 138: 2098-105.
14. Karthik D, Viswanathan P, Anuradha CV. Administration of rosmarinic acid reduces cardiopathology and blood pressure through inhibition of p22phox NADPH oxidase in fructose-fed hypertensive rats. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2011; 58: 514-21.
15. Yesil-Celiktas O, Sevimli C, Bedir E, Vardar-Sukan F. Inhibitory effects of rosemary extracts, carnosic acid and rosmarinic acid on the growth of various human cancer cell lines. Plant Foods Hum Nutr. 2010; 65: 158-63
16. Vongsak B, Sithisarn P, Mangmool S, Thongpraditchote S, Wongkrajang Y, Gritsanapana W. Maximizing total phenolics, total flavonoids contents and antioxidant activity of Moringa oleifera leaf extract by the appropriate extraction method. Ind Crop Prod. 2013; 44: 566-71.
17. J. B. Calixto. Twenty-five years of research on medicinal plants in Latin America: a personal view. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2005; 100(1-2) : 131-134.
18. P. Muthukumaran, P. Shanmuganathan, C. Malathi. In Vitro Antioxidant Evaluation of Mimosa pudica. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2011; 1(2): 44-46.
19. Dibyajyoti Saha, Swati Paul. Cytotoxic Activity of Methanolic Extract of Alpinia conchigera Griff (Family: Zingiberaceae). Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2012; 2(2): 86-88.
20. Pradeep Kumar Samal. Investigation of Antioxidant Activity of Hibiscus vitifolius leaves. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2013; 3(4): 215-219
21. Justo OR, Simioni PU, Gabriel DL, Tamashiro WM, Rosa P de T, Moraes AM. Evaluation of in vitro anti- inflammatory effects of crude ginger and rosemary extracts obtained through supercritical CO2 extraction on macrophage and tumor cell line: the influence of vehicle type. BMC Complement Altern Med 2015; 15: 390
22. Marcela A. A. Valones, Ingrid Carla Guedes Silva1, Luiz Alcino Monteiro Gueiros1, Jair Carneiro Leão1, Arnaldo F. Caldas Jr1, Alessandra Albuquerque Tavares Carvalho. Clinical Assessment of Rosemary based Toothpaste (Rosmarinus officinalis Linn.): A Randomized Controlled Double-blind Study. Brazilian Dental Journal 2019; 30(2): 146-151.
23. Swati Paul, Dibyajyoti Saha. Cytotoxic Activity of Ethanol Extract of Leea indica Leaf. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2012; 2(4): 137-139
24. Azad MF Schwiertz A; Jentsch FR. Adjunctive use of essential oils following scaling and root planing – a randomized clinical trial. BMC Complement Altern Med 2016; 16: 171.
25. Mahyari S, Mahyari B, Emami SA, Malaekeh-Nikouei B, Jahanbakhsh SP, Sahebkar A, et al. Evaluation of the efficacy of a polyherbal mouthwash containing Zingiber officinale, Rosmarinus officinalis and Calendula officinalis extracts in patients with gingivitis: A randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial. Complement Ther Clin Pract 2016; 22: 93-98
26. Chen JX, Liu YY, Wang SX, Li XH. Efficacy of Crest Herbal Crystal Toohpaste in “Clearing Internal Heat”: A randomized, double-blind clinical study. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2013; ID 807801
27. Kazemi M, Rostami H, Ameri A. The study of compositions and antimicrobial properties of essential oil of Origanum vulgare and Rosmarinus officinalis on human pathogens. Curr Res Bacteriol 2012; 5: 1-12.
28. Rasooli I, Shayegh S, Taghizadeh M, Astaneh SD. Phitotherapeutic prevention of dental biofilm formation. Phytother Res 2008; 22: 1162- 1167
29. Freires IA, Denny C, Benso B, Alencar SM, Rosalen PL. Antibacterial activity of essential oils and their isolated constituents against Braz Dent J 30(2) 2019 151 Clinical assessment of rosemary toothpaste cariogenic bacteria: a systematic review. Molecules 2015; 20: 7329- 7358
30. Rafie H, Soheila H, Grant E. Rosmarinus officinalis, Antidepressants (Rosemary); A Novel Therapeutic Agent for Antioxidant, Antimicrobial, Anticancer, Antidiabetic, Antidepressant, Neuroprotective, Anti-inflammatory and Anti-obesity Treatment. Herb Med. 2017; Vol. 3 No. 2: 8.
31. Hendel, N., Larous, L. and Belbey, L. Antioxidant activity of rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis L.) and its in vitro inhibitory effect on Penicillium digitatum. International Food Research Journal 2016; 23(4): 1725-1732.
32. Ledder RG, Latimer J, Humpheys GJ, Sreenivasan PK, McBain AJ. Bacteriological effects of dentifrices with and without active ingredients of natural origin. Appl Environ Microbiol 2014; 80: 6490-6498.