Aim: Ischemic stroke is one of the important complications of diabetes. Diabetes exacerbate cerebral injury after ischemia and reperfusion. This study was designed to investigate whether the naringenin has a cerebroprotective action against the ischemic reperfusion injury via anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory mechanisms in diabetic rats. Diabetes was induced by Streptozocine (50mg/kg) intraperitoneal injection at once. Medial carotid artery occlusion (30 min) and reperfusion (3 hr) was employed to induce cerebral infarction in diabetic rats. The animals were divided in to groups as: normal, sham, ischemia-reperfusion and naringenin treated (50, 100, 150 and 200mg/kg). These were used for evaluation of percentage of cerebral infarction. Further, 200mg/kg dose was selected for the estimation of inflammatory biomarkers such as Tumor necrosis factor-a, Interlukin-6, Interlukin-10 and oxidative stress biomarkers such as malondialdehyde, superoxide dismutase, and catalase were estimated and histopathological changes were studied. Dose dependent reduction in percentage of cerebral infarction was observed in narigenin treated groups. With Naringenin 200mg/kg dose, inflammatory and oxidative stress markers like Tumor necrosis factor-a, Interlukin-6, myeloperoxidase and malondialdehyde levels were distinctively reduced and there was a remarkable increased levels of anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant markers like Interlukin-10, catalase, and superoxide dismutase. Conclusion: Collectively, these findings demonstrate that the mechanism (s) responsible for a cerebroprotective effect of naringenin against the ischemic reperfusion injury in the diabetic rats involves anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory actions.
Cite this article:
Orsu Prabhakar. Naringenin attenuates cerebral Ischemia-Reperfusion injury through Inhibiting oxidative stress and Inflammation in Diabetic Rats. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(7):3751-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00649
Orsu Prabhakar. Naringenin attenuates cerebral Ischemia-Reperfusion injury through Inhibiting oxidative stress and Inflammation in Diabetic Rats. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(7):3751-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00649 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-7-46
1. Donkor E. S (2018) Stroke in the 21st Century: A Snapshot of the Burden, Epidemiology, and Quality of Life. Stroke Research and Treatmen.t 2018: 3238165. DOI:10.1155/2018/3238165.
2. Shukla V, Shakya A. K, Perez-Pinzon M. A, & Dave K. R (2017) Cerebral ischemic Damage in diabetes: an inflammatory perspective. Journal of Neuroinflammation. 14(1): 21. DOI:10.1186/s12974-016-0774-5.
3. Chen R, Ovbiagele B, Feng W (2016) Diabetes and Stroke: Epidemiology, Pathophysiology, Pharmaceuticals and Outcomes. The American Journal of the Medical Sciences. 351(4), 380–386. DOI: 10.1016/j.amjms.2016.01.011.
4. Maiocchi S, Alwis I, Wu MCL, Yuan Y, Jackson SP (2018) Thromboinflammatory Functions of Platelets in Ischemia-Reperfusion Injury and Its Dysregulation in Diabetes. Semin Thromb Hemost. 44(2): 102-13.
5. Canbaz S, Duran E (2003) Ischaemia-reperfusion studies and diabetes mellitus. Br J Anaesth. 91: 158-9.
6. Shahidi F, Yeo J (2018) Bioactivities of Phenolics by Focusing on Suppression of Chronic Diseases: A Review. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 19(6): 1573. DOI:10.3390/ ijms19061573.
7. Yahfoufi N, Alsadi N, Jambi M, Matar C (2018) The Immunomodulatory and Anti-Inflammatory Role of Polyphenols Nutrients. 10(11): 1618. doi:10.3390/nu10111618.
8. Prithviraj Karak (2018) Biological activities of Flavonoids: an overview. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 3: 1567-74.
9. Longa EZ, Weinstein PR, Carlson S, Cummins R (1989) Reversible Middle cerebral artery occlusion without craniectomy in Rats. Stroke. 20: 84– 91.
10. Orsu P, Murthy BV, Akula A (2013) Cryoprotective potential of resveratrol through anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory mechanisms in rats. J Neural Transm. 120(8): 1217-23. DOI: 10.1007/s00702-013-0982-4.
11. Okhawa H, Ohishi N, Yagi K (1979). Assay of lipid peroxides in animal tissue by Thiobarbituric acid Reaction. Anal Biochem. 95: 351–8.
12. Kakkar P, Das B, Viswanathan PN (1984) A modified spectrophotometric assay of superoxide dismutase. Ind J Bio Chem Biophys. 21: 130-2.
13. Aebi H (1974) Catalase: Methods in enzymatic analysis Vol. II (ed. H.U. Bergmer) 673-84.
14. Mullane KM, Bruce Smith ND (1985) Myeloperoxidase Activity as a Quantitative Assessment of Neutrophil Infiltration into lschemic Myocardium. Journal of Pharmacological methods. 14: 157-7.
15. Liu N, Chen R, Du H, Wang J, Zhang Y, Wen J (2009) Expression of IL-10 and TNF-alpha in rats with cerebral infarction after transplantation with mesenchymal stem cells. Cell Mol. Immunol. 6: 207-13.
16. Saito K, Suyama K, Nishida K, Sei Y, Basile AS (1996) Early increases in TNF-alpha, IL-6 and IL-1 beta following transient cerebral ischemia in gerbil brain. Neurosci Lett. 206: 149–2.
17. Khan M, Siphon B, Jatana M, Giri S et al (2004) Administration of N-acetylcysteine after focal cerebral ischemia protects brain and reduces inflammation in a rat model of experimental Stroke. J Neurosci Res. 76: 519-7.
18. Lakhan SE, Kirchgessner A, Hofer M (2009) Inflammatory mechanisms in ischemic stroke: therapeutic approaches. J Transl Med. 7: 97.
19. Chen C, Wei YZ, He XM, Li DD, Wang GQ, Li JJ, Zhang F (2019) Naringenin Produces Neuroprotection Against LPS-Induced Dopamine Neurotoxicity via the Inhibition of Microglial NLRP3. Inflammasome Activation Front Immunol. 10:936. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2019.00936.
20. Selcuk Kara, Baran Gencer, Turan Karaca, Hasan Ali Tufan, Sedat Arikan, Ismail Ersan, Ihsan Karaboga, Volkan Hanci (2014) Protective Effect of Hesperetin and Naringenin against Apoptosis in Ischemia/ Reperfusion-Induced Retinal Injury in Rats. The Scientific World Journal Article. vol. 2014 ID 797824: 8 pages. https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/797824.
21. Tosaki A, Szerdahelyi P, Joo F (1994). Treatment with ranitidine of ischemic brain edema. Eur J Pharmacol. 264: 455-8.
22. Bahare Salehi, Patrick Valere Tsouh Fokou, Mehdi Sharifi-Rad, Paolo Zucca, Raffaele Pezzani, Natália Martin, Javad Sharifi-Rad (2019) The Therapeutic Potential of Naringenin: A Review of Clinical Trial. Pharmaceuticals. 12;11. doi:10.3390/ph12010011.
23. Suganya N, Bhakkiyalakshmi E, Sarada D.V.L, Ramkumar K.M (2016) Reversibility of endothelial dysfunction in diabetes: role of polyphenols. British Journal of Nutrition. 116(2): 223-46.
24. Qiong You, Ziyun Wu, Bin Wu, Chang Liu (2016) Naringin protects cardiomyocytes against hyperglycemia-induced injuries in vitro and in vivo. Journal of Endocrinology. 230(2): JOE-16-0004.
25. Della-Morte D, Dave KR, DeFazio RA et al (2009) Resveratrol pretreatment protects rat brain from cerebral ischemic damage via a sirtuin 1-uncoupling protein 2 Pathway. Neuroscience. 159: 993-1002.
26. Alam M A, Subhan N, Rahman M. M, Uddin S. J, Reza H. M Sarker S. D (2014) Effect of citrus flavonoids, naringin and naringenin, on metabolic syndrome and their mechanisms of action. Advances in nutrition (Bethesda, Md.). 5(4): 404–417. DOI:10.3945/an.113.005603.
27. Yousuf S, Atif.F, Ahmad M et al (2007) Selenium plays a modulatory role against cerebral ischemia-induced neuronal damage in rat hippocampus. Brain Res. 1147: 218–25.
28. Gouwy M, Struyf S, Proost P, Van Damme J (2005) Synergy in cytokine and chemokine networks amplifies the inflammatory response. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev. 16: 561-80.
29. Rock RB, Gekker G, Hu S et al (2004) Role of microglia in central nervous system infections. Clin Microbiol Rev. 17: 942-64.
30. Yasuda Y, Shimoda T, Uno K et al (2011) Temporal and sequential changes of glial cells and cytokine expression during Neuronal Degeneration after transient global ischemia in rats. J Neuroinflammation. 8: 70.
31. Prabhakar O (2013) Cerebroprotective effect of resveratrol through antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects in diabetic rats. Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol. 386: 705-10.
32. Prabhakar O, Purab s (2020) The Role of antioxidants and their related enzymes in protective response to cerebral ischemia reperfusion injury. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 11: 587-598.