Afroz Patan, M. Saranya, S. Vignesh, A. Bharathi, G. Vikram, P. Yuvaraj, M. Vijeyaanandhi
Afroz Patan*, M. Saranya, S. Vignesh, A. Bharathi, G. Vikram, P. Yuvaraj, M. Vijeyaanandhi
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Analysis, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Vels Institute of Sciences, Technology and Advanced Studies (VISTAS), Pallavaram, Chennai – 603117, Tamilnadu, India.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 7,
Year - 2021
Introduction and Aim: Oenothera biennis an important medicinal plant which belongs to Onagraceae family. It is used for various medicinal purposes in ayurvedic medicine and herbal remedy. The aim of the present study was to evaluate the antioxidant activity of phenol and flavonoid extract of plant of O. biennis and GC-MS analysis for active compound identification. Materials and Methods: Radical scavenging assay and reduction assay methods were used for antioxidant activity. The antioxidant capacity of methanolic plant extractHP-5 column was used for GCMS analysis. Results: The IC50 of DPPH radical scavenging activity of methanol leaves extract of O. biennis was 31.43µg/mL concentration, IC50value of superoxide radical scavenging activity was 37.71µg/mL concentration. The RC50 of phosphomolybdenum reduction of methanolic plant extract of O. biennis was 49.90µg/mL concentration and the RC50of Fe3+ reduction was 37.25µg/mL concentrations. Antioxidant compounds such as Phenol, 2, 6-bis(1,1-dimethyl)-4-[(4-hydroxy-3,5-dimethylphenyl)methyl]-, Cromaril and Oleic acid were eluted by GCMS analysis. Conclusion: The data showed that the methanolic plant extract of O. biennis has significant antioxidant activity. The flavone compounds identified in GCMS could be responsible for antioxidant activity. Further research work needed to isolate active compounds to kill diseases.
Cite this article:
Afroz Patan, M. Saranya, S. Vignesh, A. Bharathi, G. Vikram, P. Yuvaraj, M. Vijeyaanandhi. Qualitative Phytochemical Analysis in Determination of Antioxidant Activity of Methanolic Extract of Oenothera biennis by GCMS – A Preliminary Research Study. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(7):3744-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00648
Afroz Patan, M. Saranya, S. Vignesh, A. Bharathi, G. Vikram, P. Yuvaraj, M. Vijeyaanandhi. Qualitative Phytochemical Analysis in Determination of Antioxidant Activity of Methanolic Extract of Oenothera biennis by GCMS – A Preliminary Research Study. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(7):3744-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00648 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-7-45
1. Wagner WL, Hoch PC, Raven PH. Revised classification of the Onagraceae. Am Soc Plant Taxon, 2007: 83; 1-240.
2. Chemical Information Review article Document for Evening Primrose Oil (Oenothera biennis L) National Toxicological Program, 2009: CAS No. 90028-66-3.
3. Montserrat-de la Paz Sergio; Fernandez-Arche Angeles; Angle -Martin Maria; Garcia-Gimenez Maria Dolores. The Sterols isolated from Evening Primrose oil modulate the release of Proinflammatory mediators. Phytomedicine, 2012: 19(12); 1072-1076.
4. De La Cruz J P; Martin-Romero M; Carmona J A; Villalobos M A; Sanchez de la Cuesta F. Effect of evening Primrose oil on Platelet aggregation in rabbits fed an atherogenic diet. Thrombosis research, 1997; 87(1): 141-9.
5. Singh Rashmi; Trivedi Priyanka; Bawankule Dnyaneshwar Umrao; Ahmad Ateeque; Shanker Karuna. HILIC quantification of oenotheralanosterol A and B Oenothera biennis and their suppression of IL-6 and TNF-alpha expression in mouse macrophages. Journal of ethnopharmacology, 2012; 141(1); 357-62.
6. Timoszuk Magdalena; Bielawska Katarzyna Skrydlewska Elzbieta. Evening Primrose (Oenothera biennis) biological activity dependent on chemical composition. Antioxidants (MDPI) 2018; 7(8); 108/1-108/11.
7. Rodrigues Railane. F Costa Isabele. C Almeida Fernanda. B Cruz Rodringo. A. S Ferreria Adriana. M Vilhena Jessica. C.E Florentino Alexandro. C Carvalho Jose. C.T Fernandes, Caio. P. Development and Characterization of evening primrose (Oenothera biennis). Revista Brasileria de Farmacognosi, 2015: 25(4); 422-425.
8. Ghasemnezhad A. Cergel S. Honermeier B. The impact of storage time and temperature on the quality of the oil of evening primrose (Oenothera biennis). Zeitschriftfuer Arznel and Gewuerzpflanzen, 2007; 12(4): 175-180.
9. Sultana; Shahnaz; Ali; Mohammed; Mir, Showkat Rasool. Chemical constituents from the roots of Oenothera biennis L. UK Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biosciences, 2018; 6(2): 29-35.
10. Lorenz P, Stermitz FR. Oxindole-3-acetic acid methylester from the flower buds of Oenothers species. Biochem Syst Ecol, 2000; 28: 189-91.
11. Granica Sebastian Bazylko Agnieszka Kiss Anna. K. Determination of Macrocyclic Ellagitannin Oenothein B in Plant Material by HPLC-DAD-MS: Method Development and Validation. Phytochemical Analysis, 2012; 23(6): 582-7.
12. Eskin NAM. Borage and Evening primrose oil. Eur J Lipid Sci Technol, 2008; 110: 651-4.
13. Zaugg J. Potterat O, Plescher A, Honermeier B, Hamburger M. Quantitative analysis of anti-inflammatory and radical scavenging triterpenoid esters in Evening primrose seeds. J Agr Food Chem, 2006; 54: 6623-8.
14. Ratz-Lyko A, Arct J, Pytkowska K, Majewski S, Bregisz M. Effect of enzymatic hydrolysis on the antioxidant properties of alcoholic extracts of oilseed cakes. Food Technol Biotechnol, 2013; 51: 539-46.
15. Krzaczek T, Bogucka-Kocka A. P21 chromatographical analysis of phenolic acids in some species genus Oenothers L. Eur J Pharm Sci, 1994; 2: 117-94.
16. Montserrat-de La Paz; S. Fernandez-Arche; M.A. Bermudez; B. Garcia-Gimenez, M.D. The Sterols isolated from evening Primrose oil inhibit human colon adenocarcinoma cell proliferation and induced cell cycle arrest through upregulation of LXR. Journal of Functional Foods, 2015: 12: 64-69.
17. Sebastin Granica; Monika E. Czerwinska, Jakub P. Piwowarski, Maria Ziaja and Anna K. Kiss. Chemical Composition, Antioxidative and Anti-inflammatory Activity of Extracts Prepared from Aerial parts of Oenothera biennis L, Obtained after seed cultivation. J Agri Food Chem, 2013; 61(4): 801-810.
18. Trease, G.E., and Evans, W. C. Textbook of Pharmacognosy. 12th edn. Balliese Tindall and Company Publisher, London. 1983; 343-383.
19. Raaman, N. Phytochemical techniques. New India Publishing Agency, New Delhi. 2006; 306.
20. Spanos, G.A., and Wrosltad, R.E. Influence of processing and storage on the phenolic composition of Thompson seedless grape juice. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 1990; 38: 1565-1571.
21. Liu, X., Dong, M., Chen, X., Jiang, M., Lv, X. and Yan, G. Antioxidant activity and phenolics of endophytic Xylaria sp. From Ginkgo biloba. Food Chemistry. 2007; 105: 548-554.
22. Blois, M.S., Antioxidant determinations by the use of a stable free radical. Nature.1958; 29: 1199-1200.
23. Ravishankara, M.N., Shrivastava, N., Padh, H., Rajani, M. Evaluation of antioxidant properties of root bark of Hemidesmus indicus. Phytomedicine. 2002; 9: 153-160.
24. Delgado-Andrade, C., Rufian-Henares, J.A., Morales, F.J. Assessing the antioxidant activity of melanoidins from coffee brews by different antioxidant methods. J Agric Food Chem. 2005; 53: 7832-7836.
25. Prieto, P., Pineda, M., and Anguilar, M. Spectrophotometric quantisation of antioxidant capacity through the formation of a Phosphomolybdenum Complex: Specific application to the determination of Vitamin E. Anal. Biochem. 1999; 269: 337-341.
26. Yen, G. C., and Chen, H. Y. Antioxidant activity of various tea extracts in relation to their antimutagenicity. J. Agri. Food Chem. 1995; 43: 27-32.
27. Gülçin, İ., Oktay, M., Küfrevioğlu, Ö.İ., Aslan, A. Determination of antioxidant activity of lichen Cetrariaislandica (L) Ach. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2002; 79(3): 325-329.
28. Hagerman, A.E., Riedl, K.M., Jones, G.A., Sovik, K.N., Ritchard, N.T., Hartzfeld, P.W., Riechel, T.L. High molecular weight plant polyphenolics (tannins) as biological antioxidants. J. Agric. Food Chem. 1998; 46: 18871892.
29. Loo, A.Y., Jain, K., Darah, I. Antioxidant activity of compounds isolated from the pyroligneous acid, Rhizophora apiculata. Food Chem. 2008; 107: 11511160.
30. Siddhuraju, P., Becker, K. The antioxidant and free radical scavenging activities of processed cowpea (Vigna unguiculata (L.) Walp.) seed extracts. Food Chem. 2007; 101: 10.
31. Harini, V., Vijayalakshmi, M., Sivaraj, C., Arumugam, P. Antioxidant and Anticancer Activities of Methanol Extract of Melochia corchorifolia L. Int. J. of Sci. and Res., 2017; 6(1): 1310-1316.
32. Afroz Patan, K. Alekhya, M. Vijey Aanandhi M, Tharagesh K, Anish A. Valeriana Jatamansi: An Ethnobotanical Review. Asian J Pharm Clin Res, 2018: 11(4): 38-40,