Plant derived products play a vital role in preventing and treating various disease in humans. Tephrosia tinctoria is a plant belonging to the family Leguminosae, found to have antidiabetic and antioxidant activities. The study was aimed to investigate the anti-diabetic and anti-oxidant activity of whole plant of Tephrosia tinctoria in diabetic rats. Alloxan induced model was used to induce Diabetes. The chloroform and ethanolic extracts of Tephrosia tinctoria (CETT and EETT) at the dose of 250 and 500mg/kg b.w were administered orally at single dose per day to diabetic rats. Glipizide 5mg/kg b.w was used as standard drug. The general body weight, insulin level, blood glucose, serum lipid profile, superoxide dismutase, and lipid peroxidation assays were the parameters evaluated in diabetic rats. EETT have better anti-diabetic and anti-oxidant activity than CETT. The protective effects were even confirmed by histopathological studies. These observations show that both the extracts were effective in possessing the significant antidiabetic and antioxidant properties in alloxan induced diabetes.
Cite this article:
Vimal John Samuel, Rashmi DV, Agasa Ramu Mahesh. Antidiabetic activity of Tephrosia tinctoria in Alloxan induced Diabetic Rats: A Preliminary Study. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(7):3727-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00645
Vimal John Samuel, Rashmi DV, Agasa Ramu Mahesh. Antidiabetic activity of Tephrosia tinctoria in Alloxan induced Diabetic Rats: A Preliminary Study. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(7):3727-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00645 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-7-42
1. Rynjah CV, Devi NN, Khogthaw N, Syiem D, Majaw S. Evaluation of the antidiabetic property of aqueous leaves extract of Zanthoxylum armatum DC. using in vivo and in vitro approaches. J Tradit Complement Med, 2018; 8(1): 134-40.
2. Jaiswal YS, Tatke PA, Gabhe SY, Vaidya AB. Antidiabetic activity of extracts of Anacardium occidentale Linn. leaves on n-streptozotozin diabetic rats. J Tradit Complement Med, 2017; 7(4): 421-7.
3. Kushawaha DK, Yadav M, Chatterji S, Srivastava AK, Watal G. Evidence based study of antidiabetic potential of C. maxima seeds-In vivo. J Tradit Complement Med, 2017; 7(4): 466-70.
4. Rodrigues A, Samuel N. A systematic review on the clinical outcomes of dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitors in type 2 diabetes mellitus patients. Indian Journal of Pharmacy Practice, 2018; 11(3): 141-7.
5. American Diabetes Association. Introduction: standards of medical care in diabetes -2018. Diabetic Care, 2018; 41 (Suppl 1): S1-S2.
6. Anju PR, Siddiq A. A study of medication adherence and medication compliance to insulin therapy in type 1and type 2 diabetic patients. Indian Journal of Pharmacy Practice, 2017; 50(4): 130-3.
7. Rohilla A, Ali S. Alloxan induced diabetes: Mechanism and effects. International Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Sciences, 2012; 3(2): 819-23.
8. Aksoy L, Kolay E, Agilonu Y, Aslan Z, Kargioglu M. Free radical scavenging activity, total phenolic content, total antioxidant status and total oxidant status of endemic Thermopsis turcica. Saudi J Bio Sci, 2013; 20(3): 235-9.
9. Vimal John Samuel, Agasa Ramu Mahesh, Vedigounder Murugan. Phytochemical and pharmacological aspects of Tephrosia genus: A brief review. J App Pharm Sci, 2019; 9(03): 117-25.
10. Rajaram K, Suresh Kumar P. In-vitro antioxidant and antidiabetic activity of Tephrosia tinctoria: an endemic medicinal plant of south India. J Pharm Res, 2011; 4(3): 891-3.
11. Kokate CK. 2008. Practical Pharmacognosy. New Delhi, India: Vallabha Prakashan.
12. Shah NA, Khan MR. Antidiabetic effect of Sida cordata in alloxan induced diabetic rats. Biomed Res Int, 2014: 671294.
13. Somani RS, Singhai AK. Hypoglycemic and antidiabetic activity of seeds of Myristica fragrans in normoglycaemic and alloxan induced diabetic rats. Asian J Exp Sci, 2008; 22(1): 95-102.
14. Joy KL, Kuttan R. Anti-diabetic activity of Picrorrhiza kurroa extract. J Ethnopharmacol, 1999; 67(2): 143-8.
15. Uma Devi P, Selvi S, Suja S, Selvam K, Chinnaswamy P. Anti-diabetic and hypolipidaemic effect of Cassia auriculata in alloxan induced diabetic rats. Int J Pharmacol, 2006; 2(6): 601-7.
16. Ahmed MF et al., Antidiabetic activity of Vinca rosea extracts in Alloxan-induced diabetic rats. Int J Endocrinol, 2010: 841090.
17. Beauchamp C, Fridovich I. Superoxide dismutase: improved assay and an assay applicable to acrylamide gel. Anal Biochem, 1971; 44(1): 276-87.
18. Niehaus WG. Jr, Samuelsson B. Formation of malonaldehyde from phospholipid arachidonate during microsomal lipid peroxidation. Eur J Biochem, 1968; 6(1): 126-30.
19. Krishnasamy R., Periyasamy S. Regulatory role of ethyl acetate fraction of Tephrosia tinctoria pers. in carbohydrate metabolism and oxidative stress in diabetic rats. Biomed Pharmacother, 2019; 114: 108842.
20. Kooti W, Farokhipour M, Asadzadeh Z, Ashtary-Larky D, Asadi-Samani M. The role of medicinal plants in the treatment of diabetes: a systematic review. Electron Physician, 2016; 8(1): 1832-42.
21. Adeneye AA, Agbaje EO. Pharmacological evaluation of oral hypoglycemic and antidiabetic effect of fresh leaves ethanol extract of Morinda lucida Benth. in normal and alloxan induced diabetes rats. Afr J Biomed Res, 2008; 11: 65-71.
22. Oyedemi SO, Afolayan AJ. In vitro and in vivo antioxidant activity of aqueous leaves extract of Leonotis leonurus (L) R.Br. Int J Pharmacol, 2011; 7(2): 248-56.
23. Bhatia D, Paliwal SK. Free radical scavenging and hypoglycemic potential of Centratherum anthelminticum. Int J Pharm Sci Res, 2015;6(4): 1616-23.
24. Boora F, Chirisa E, Mukanganyama M. Evaluation of nitric radical scavenging properties of selected zimbabwean plant extract and their phytoconstituents. Journal of Food Processing, 2014; 918018.
25. Noh H, King GL. The role of protein kinase C activation in diabetic nephropathy. Kidney Int Suppl, 2007; 106: S49-53.
26. Bhadada SV, Goyal RK. Effect of aqueous Extract of Tephrosia purpurea on Cardiovascular complications and cataract associated with streptozotocin-induced diabetes in rats. Indian J Pharm Sci, 2015; 77(5): 522-9.