In the present study aqueous extract of Solanum torvum unripe fruits was used to evaluate its cytotoxic effect and anticancer activity through in vitro studies by 3-(4, 5 dimethyl thiazole-2-yl)-2, 5-diphenyl tetrazolium bromide- MTT assay) on Normal VERO cell line and MCF-7 (Human breast adenocarcinoma cell line). Aqueous extracts of Solanum torvum unripe fruits was found to be effective in the prevention of cell proliferation by breast adenocarcinoma cell lines at 1000 µg/ml from the results obtained during 24 hours of incubation.
Cite this article:
D. Shanthi, R. Saravanan. Evaluation of Cytotoxicity of normal Vero and Anticancer Activity of Human Breast Cancer Cell Lines by Aqueous Unripe Fruit Extract of Solanum torvum. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(7):3504-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00607
D. Shanthi, R. Saravanan. Evaluation of Cytotoxicity of normal Vero and Anticancer Activity of Human Breast Cancer Cell Lines by Aqueous Unripe Fruit Extract of Solanum torvum. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(7):3504-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00607 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-7-4
1. Yomgam Yumge, Rohita Sharma, Om Prakash Arya, Yumbi Yomgam Phytochemical screening and antifungal activities of three medicinal plants from Arunachal Pradesh, Indian Journal of Medicinal Plants Studies. 2017; 5(3): 278-283
2. Dai X, Cheng H, Bai Z, Li J. Breast cancer cell line classification and its relevance with breast tumor subtyping. Journal of Cancer. 2017; 8(16): 3131-3141
3. Neves MP, Cravo S, Lima RT, Vasconcelos MH, Nascimento MS, Silva AM. Solid-phase synthesis of 21-hydroxychalcones. Effects on cell growth inhibition, cell cycle and apoptosis of human tumor cell lines. Bioorganic Medicinal Chemistry; 2012; 20: 25-33.
4. Mahassni SH, Al-Reemi RM. Apoptosis and necrosis of human breast cancer cells by an aqueous extract of garden cress (Lepidium sativum) seeds. Saudi Journal of Biological Science. 2013; 20(2): 131-139.
5. Jayakumar K, Murugan K Purified solasodine and caulophyllumine: A from Solanum mauritianum. against MCF-7 breast cancer cell lines in terms of cell growth, cell cycle and apoptosis. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2017a; 6(1): 472-478
6. Solowey E, Lichtenstein M, Sallon S, Paavilainen H, Solowey E, Lorberboum-Galski H. Evaluating medicinal plants for anticancer activity. Science World Journal. 2014; 1-12.
7. Arthan D, Svasti J, Kittakoop P, Pittayakhachonwut D, Tanticharoen M, Thebtaranonth Y Antiviral isoflavonoid sulfate and steroidal glycosides from the fruits of Solanum torvum. Phytochemistry. 2002; 59: 459–463
8. Wiart C, Mogana S, Khalifah S, Mahan M, Ismail S. Buckle M. Antimicrobial screening of plants used for traditional medicine in the state of Perak, Peninsular Malaysia. Fitoterapia. 2004 ;75: 68–73
9. Amarnath Kanchana, Monvalli Balakrishnan. Anti-cancer effect of saponins isolated from Solanum trilobatum leaf extract and induction of apoptosis in human larynx cancer cell lines. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2011; l3 (4): 65-71
10. Jaikumar B, Jasmine R. A review on a few medicinal plants possessing anticancer activity against human breast cancer. International Journal of Pharmacy and Technology Research. 2016; 9(3): 333-365.
11. Mosmann T. Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: Application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays. Journal of Immunology and Metabolism. 1983; 65: 55-63.
12. Mohammad Mijanur Rahman, Md. Asaduzzamam Khan. Anticancer potential of South Asian plants. Natural Products and Bioprospecting. 2013; 3: 74-88
13. Biswas J, Roy M, Mukherjee a Anticancer drug development based on phytochemicals. Journal of Drug Discovery. Development and Delivery. 2015; 2(1) :1-6.
14. Amutha. R, Ramesh. K, Sudha. A, Rathika. S, Pandiselvi. P. Preclinical assessment of Solanum trilobatum leaf extracts as DNA damaging anticancer agent in the management of breast cancer. International Journal of Latest Engineering, Management and Research. 2017; 2 (9): 23-27
15. Panigrahi, Meenakshi Sundaram Muthuraman, Ravichandran Natesan, Brindha Pemiah 2014 Anticancer activity of ethanolic extract of Solanum torvum (SW). International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2014; 6(1): 93-98
16. Maya Nair, S Kamala Soren, Virendra Singh, Bibari Boro Anticancer activity of fruit and leaf extracts of Averrhoa bilimbi on MCF-7 human breast cancer cell lines: A Preliminary Study. Australian Journal of Pharmacotheraphy. 2016; 4(2): 76-84
17. Joseph Sakah Kaunda, Ying-Jun Zhang, The genus Solanum: An Ethnopharmacological, Phytochemical and Biological Properties Review. Natural Products and Bioprospecting. 2019; 9(2): 77–137.
18. Vieira PM, Santos SC, Chen Chen L. Assessment of mutagenicity and cytotoxicity of Solanum paniculatum L extracts using in vivo micronucleus test in mice. Brazilian Journal of Biology.2010; 70(3): 601-606
19. Arulvasu C, Vasanth Supriya S, Gajendra Babu. Anticancer activity of Pongamia glabra V seed extract against selected human cancer cell lines. International Research Journal of Pharmacy. 2012; 3(8): 131-134
20. Dehghan-Nayeri N, Darvishi M, Mashati P, Younesian O. Comparison of cytotoxic activity of herbal extracts on the most commonly used breast cancer cell lines (MCF7 and SKBR3): A systematic review. Journal of Research in Pharmacy.2020; 24(1): 1-22.
21. Jumpa-Ngern P, Kietinun S, Sakpakdeejaroen I, Cheomung A and Na-Bangchang K. Pharmacokinetics of piperine following single dose administration of benjakul formulation in healthy Thai subjects. African Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacognosy.2013; 7(10): 560-566
22. Baburao Bhukya, Harikiran Lingabathula, Narsimhareddy Yellu. Evaluation of Anti Cancer Activity of Kydia calycina Roxb. Leaf Extract on Different Cancer Cell Lines. Research. Journal of. Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2017; 9(4): 197-202.
23. Prakash S. Sukhramani, G. Vidyasagar, Piyush M. Patel. In-vitro screening of Ficus racemosa for Anticancer activity. Research Journal Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2013; 5(3): 119-122.
24. 24.P Nagaveni, G Krishna Mohan, Switi B Gaikwad. Anticancer Activity of Maytenus emarginata Leaves and Stems: A Comparative Study. Research Journal. Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2015; 7(2): 101-106.
25. 25.M Lavanya, Asish Bhaumik, A Gopi Reddy, Ch Manasa, B Kalyani, S Sushmitha. Evaluation of Anticancer Activity of Ethanolic and Ethylacetoacetate Extracts of Sweet Cherry Against Human Breast Cancer Cell Line MCF-7. Research Journal Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics.2016; 8(2): 65-70
26. 26.Nachiket S Dighe, Shashikant R Pattan, Deepak S Musmade, Abhijeet N Merekar, Manisha S Kedar, Deepak K Thakur, Pratik V Patel. Recent Synthesis of Marine Natural Products with Anticancer Activity: An Overview. Research Journal Science and Technology. 2009; 1(2): 63-70.
27. Qureshi Md. Shamim, Patel Jitendra, Venkateshwar Reddy A, Syed Safiullah, P Mohapatra. Phytochemicals and Pharmacological Activities of Moringa oleifera Lam. Research J. Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2010; 2(2): 183-186.
28. B. Edwin Jose, P. Muralidharan. Effect of Azima tetracantha Lam on Human Breast Cancer Cells MCF-7. Research Journal Science and Technology. 2019; 11(2): 109-112.
29. Firoj A. Tambolia, Harinath N. Inhibitory Effects of Successive Solvant Extracts of Barleria gibsoni Dalz. on the Proliferation of MDA MB 4355 (Human Breast Cancer) and Hep G2 (Liver Cancer Cell line). Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 5(4): 2015; 183-185.
30. 30.Salla Pujitha, A. Jaswanth, A. Ganesh, Irfana Begum, Noor Jahan. Evaluation of Anticancer activity of Maytenus emarginata on Ehrlich’s Ascites Carcinoma treated mice. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2018; 8(3): 133-136.
31. 31.Chandrasekar. R, Sivagami. B, M. Niranjan Babu. A Pharmacoeconomic Focus on Medicinal Plants with Anticancer Activity. Research. Journal of. Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2018; 10(1): 91-100.
32. Patel Chirag J., Satyanand Tyagi, Patel Pinkesh, Alpesh Yadav. Phytosomes: A Current Trend for Enhancement of Bioavailability of Polar Phytoconstituents Research. Journal of. Pharmaceutical. Dosage Forms. and Technology. 6(1): Jan.-Mar. 2014; Page 44-49.
33. K. Selvaraju, K.S.G. Arulkumaran, K. Karthick, K. Vengadesh Prabhu, J. Padma Preetha, R. Arrivukkarasu. Phytosomes – An Advanced Herbal Technology. Research Journal of. Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry 2011; 3(5): 191-194