Roula Shakkour, Taghrid Hammoud, Yasser Mukhalalaty, Faizeh Al Quobaili
Roula Shakkour1*, Taghrid Hammoud2, Yasser Mukhalalaty3, Faizeh Al Quobaili4
1Department of Clinical Biochemistry and Microbiology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Damascus University, Damascus, Syria.
2Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Damascus University, Damascus, Syria.
3National Thalassemia Center, Ministry of Health, Damascus, Syria.
4Department of Clinical Biochemistry and Microbiology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Damascus.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 7,
Year - 2021
Objectives: Endocrine disorders continue to affect the health of thalassemia patients, foremost of which is hypogonadism being the most frequent endocrine complication that involves 70-80% of beta-thalassemia major (ß-TM) patients. Actually, the role of iron overload in endocrine complications is well known. Our study goals were to investigate gonadal function, assess pubertal status among Syrian male patients with ß-TM and correlate hormonal panel with serum ferritin as the marker of iron overload. Methods: 56 ß-TM regularly transfused male patients were enrolled in this study, they were 21.91±5.01 years old. FSH, LH, Total Testosterone, and Serum Ferritin were measured for all patients, 52 of them undergone pubertal status evaluation. Results: Results showed that 60.7% of patients suffered from hypogonadism, which was hypogonadotropic hypogonadism in 97.06% of them. Delayed puberty was seen in 7.7% of the patients, while arrested puberty was found in 82.69% of them. All patients had iron overload and 92.86% of them suffered from severe iron elevation. Both gonadal and pubertal status were independent of the serum ferritin levels (P=0.73), (P=0.81) respectively. There was significant positive correlation between FSH: LH (r=0.584, P=0.0001), FSH: Testosterone (r=0.562, P=0.0001), LH: Testosterone (r=0.746, P=0.0001), MCHC: Testosterone (r=0.292, P=0.038), and BMI: Hb (r=0.351, P=0.009). Conclusions: Our findings indicated that hypogonadism, arrested puberty and severe iron overload were highly prevalent among male patients with ß-TM. Patients with better gonadal reserve have higher BMI than those with gonadal dysfunction. We suggest that hypogonadism in ß-TM patients is not directly related to serum ferritin levels; other potential factors (such as chronic anemia, hypoxia, and genetic predisposition) may contribute. Also we suggest that adequate blood transfusion and appropriate iron chelation, along with regular evaluation for gonadal status and timely intervention can improve the management of aforementioned complications, thus ameliorating patients’ quality of life.
Cite this article:
Roula Shakkour, Taghrid Hammoud, Yasser Mukhalalaty, Faizeh Al Quobaili. Investigation of Gonadal Function, Puberty, and their relationship to Serum Ferritin in Male patients with β-Thalassemia major in Syria. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(7):3595-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00622
Roula Shakkour, Taghrid Hammoud, Yasser Mukhalalaty, Faizeh Al Quobaili. Investigation of Gonadal Function, Puberty, and their relationship to Serum Ferritin in Male patients with β-Thalassemia major in Syria. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(7):3595-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00622 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-7-19
1. Mutaz Sabah A, Khdhair Abbas K, Salih SM. The relationship between serum level of ferritin and cardiac troponin T (cTnT) in children with major beta-thalassemia. Res J Pharm Technol. 2019 Apr 1;12(4): 1713–6.
2. Srisukh S, Ongphiphadhanakul B, Bunnag P. Hypogonadism in thalassemia major patients. Journal of Clinical and Translational Endocrinology. Elsevier B.V.; 2016;5: 42–5.
3. Langhi D et al. Guidelines on Beta-thalassemia major – regular blood transfusion therapy: Associação Brasileira de Hematologia, Hemoterapia e Terapia Celular: project guidelines: Associação Médica Brasileira – 2016. Rev Bras Hematol Hemoter. 2016 Oct 1;38(4): 341–5.
4. Qari MH, et al. Regional consensus opinion for the management of Beta thalassemia major in the Arabian Gulf area. Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases. BioMed Central; 2013;8: p. 143.
5. Al-Zir KN. Prevention of hemoglobinopathies in Syria. In: Hemoglobin. Taylor and Francis; 2009; 33 (Suppl 1): S25–S27.
6. Kyriacou K, et al. Molecular characterization of β-thalassemia in Syria. Hemoglobin. 2000; 24(1): 1–13.
7. Vasileiadis I, et al. Blood transfusion improves tissue oxygenation in beta-thalassemia major patients. Heal Sci J. 2013 Oct;7(4): 448–55.
8. Galanello R, Origa R. Beta-thalassemia. Orphanet J Rare Dis [Internet]. 2010 Dec 21 [cited 2020 Feb 17];5(1):11. Available from: https://ojrd.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1750-1172-5-11
9. Siripunthana S, et al. Testicular function in patients with regular blood transfusion for thalassemia major. Asian Biomed. 2015;9(2): 185–91.
10. Ansari S, et al. Fertility assessment in thalassemic men. Thalass Reports. 2017 Jul 13; 7(1).
11. Gabrielsen JS, Lamb DJ, Lipshultz LI. Iron and a Man’s Reproductive Health: the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Current Urology Reports. Current Medicine Group LLC 1; 2018; 19(8):60.
12. De Sanctis V, et al. Acquired hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (AHH) in thalassaemia major patients: An underdiagnosed condition? Mediterr J Hematol Infect Dis. 2016; 8(1).
13. Ab. Alanbaki A, Al-Mayali HM, Al-Mayali HK. Ameliorative effect of quercetin and hesperidin on antioxidant and histological changes in the testis of etoposide-induced adult male rats. Res J Pharm Technol [Internet]. 2018 Feb 1;11(2):564–74. Available from: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2018-11-2-27
14. Bairagi G.B., Kabra A.O. MRJ. Sexual Dysfunction in Men with Diabetes Mellitus. Res J Pharm Tech [Internet]. 2011;4(5): 677–84. Available from: https://rjptonline.org/HTMLPaper.aspx?Journal=Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology; PID=2011-4-5-23
15. Chen MJ, et al. Effect of iron overload on impaired fertility in male patients with transfusion-dependent beta-thalassemia. Pediatr Res. 2018 Mar 1;83(3):655–61.
16. Graber, J. and Metz, A. Bornstein, M. (Ed.), Tanner Stages. The SAGE Encyclopedia of Lifespan Human Development. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications, Inc. 2018; 2199-2201. [doi: 10.4135/9781506307633.n814].
17. De Sanctis V, Skordis N, Soliman AT. Endocrine Disease. Guidelines for the Management of Transfusion Dependent Thalassaemia (TDT) 3rd Edition. Edited by Cappellini MD, Cohen A, Porter J, et al. Nicosia (CY): Thalassaemia International Federation 2014; Chapter 8. Available from: [https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK269378/ ].
18. De Sanctis V, Soliman A, Yassin M. An overview of male reproduction in thalassaemia. Riv Ital di Med dell’Adolescenza. 2012;10(2): 63–71.
19. Abdelrazik N, Ghanem H. Failure of puberty in Egyptian beta thalassemic patients: Experience in north east region - Dakahlia province. Hematology. 2007 Oct;12(5): 449–56.
20. De Sanctis V et al. Hypogonadism in male thalassemia major patients: Pathophysiology, diagnosis and treatment. Acta Biomedica. Mattioli 1885; 2018; 89: 6–15.
21. Seftel A. Male Hypogonadism: Etiology, Pathophysiology, and Diagnosis [Internet]. medscape. 2006 [cited 2020 Feb 26]. p. 18(3):223-228. Available from: https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/531722
22. Adult BMI Calculator: Metric | Healthy Weight | CDC [Internet]. [cited 2020 Mar 1]. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_bmi/metric_bmi_calculator/bmi_calculator.html
23. BMI Calculator Child and Teen | Healthy Weight | CDC [Internet]. [cited 2020 Mar 1]. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/bmi/calculator.html
24. De Santics V, Soliman A, Yassin M. (PDF) Reproductive health in young male adults with chronic diseases in childhood [Internet]. Pediatr Endocrinol Rev. 2013 [cited 2020 Mar 21]. p. 10(3):284-96. Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/237000733_Reproductive_health_in_young_male_adults_with_chronic_diseases_in_childhood
25. Aghamaleki MA, et al. Pubertal status and its relation with serum ferritin level in thalassemia major patients. Orig Artic Iran J Ped Hematol Oncol. 2019;9(1): 32–9.
26. Sinharay M, Mitra S, Dasgupta A. Effect of Iron Overload on Gonadotrophins and Organ Sex Steroids in Pubertal Thalassemia Patients. Int J Curr Res Rev. 2017;9.
27. Al-Murshidi MK. Relationship between semen volume and blood hormone in azoospermic males. Res J Pharm Technol [Internet]. 2018 Mar 30;11(3):1169–71. Available from: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2018-11-3-65
28. Papadimas J, et al. β-thalassemia and gonadal axis: a cross-sectional, clinical study in a Greek population. Hormones. 2002 Jul 15;1(3): 179–87.
29. Dhouib NG, et al. Growth and endocrine function in Tunisian thalassemia major patients. Mediterr J Hematol Infect Dis. 2018; 10(1).
30. Yassouf MY, et al. Compliance with Deferoxamine Therapy and Thyroid Dysfunction of Patients with β-Thalassemia Major in Syria. Hemoglobin. 2019 May 4;43(3): 218–21.
31. Shoujaa A, et al. Genotype/Phenotype Correlation of β-Thalassemia in Syrian Patients: A Cross-Sectional Study. Hemoglobin. 2020; Available from: [doi:10.1080/03630269.2019.1709207].
32. Lama YA, et al. Clinical Effectiveness of Iron Chelation Therapies in Syrian Patients with β Thalassemia Major: Suboptimal Clinical Outcomes and High Prevalence of Iron Overload. Blood. 2013 Nov 15;122(21): 1719–1719.
33. Ayyash H, Sirdah M. Hematological and biochemical evaluation of β-thalassemia major (βTM) patients in Gaza Strip: A cross-sectional study. Int J Health Sci (Qassim) [Internet]. 2018 [cited 2020 Feb 16];12(6):18–24. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30534039
34. Abo-Elwafa HA, et al. Impact of Ferritin Load on Gonadal Reserve among Regular Transfused β-Thalassemia. Open J Blood Dis [Internet]. 2017 [cited 2020 Mar 23];7: 65–78. Available from: http://www.scirp.org/journal/ojbd
35. De Sanctis V, et al. Gonadal dysfunction in adult male patients with thalassemia major: an update for clinicians caring for thalassemia. Expert Review of Hematology. Taylor and Francis Ltd; 2017;10: 1095–106.
36. Qasim MT, Al-Mayali HK. Investigate the relation between baicalin effect and gene expression of LH, FSH, testosterone in male rats treated with gemcitabine drug. Res J Pharm Technol [Internet]. 2019 Sep 1;12(9):4135–41. Available from: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2019-12-9-14
37. Abbas AC, Al-Kraity WRH, Abbas EC. Effect antioxidant and serotonin level in the sera on type ii diabetes mellitus males patients and compare with control group. Res J Pharm Technol [Internet]. 2019 May 1;12(5):2453–60. Available from: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2019-12-5-70
38. Alta’ee AH, Majeed HA, Hadwan MH. The levels of vitamin e in seminal fluids and their association with male infertility: Short review [Internet]. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology; 2018;11: 2152–6. Available from: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2018-11-5-83
39. Fatehi D, et al. Reactive oxygenated species (ROS) in male fertility; source, interaction mechanism and antioxidant therapy [Internet]. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology; 2018;11: 791–6. Available from: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2018-11-2-72
40. Kee Tat L, Shueh Lin L, Ai Sim G. Prevalence of endocrine complications in transfusion dependent thalassemia in Hospital Pulau Pinang: A pilot study. Med J Malaysia. 2020;75(1): 33–7.
41. Taher AT, Saliba AN. Iron overload in thalassemia: Different organs at different rates. Hematology. 2017 Dec 8;2017(1): 265–71.
42. Mir MA, Logue GL. Transfusion-Induced Iron Overload Workup: Laboratory Studies, Imaging Studies, Other Tests [Internet]. medscape. 2019 [cited 2020 Mar 21]. Available from: https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1389732-workup#c3
43. Elsayh KI, et al. Hypoxia Biomarkers, Oxidative Stress, and Circulating Microparticles in Pediatric Patients with Thalassemia in Upper Egypt. Clin Appl Thromb. 2014 Jul 11;20(5): 536–45.
44. Merritt BY, Curry CV. Mean Corpuscular Hemoglobin (MCH) and Mean Corpuscular Hemoglobin Concentration (MCHC): Reference Range, Interpretation, Collection and Panels [Internet]. Mediterranean Journal of Hematology and Infectious Diseases. 2019 [cited 2020 Sep 12]. Available from: https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/2054497-overview#a4
45. Hammod H, Mokif TA, Al-Harbi HJ. The correlation between thalassemia with body mass index and blood groups in children and adult patient in the province of babylon, iraq. Asian J Pharm Clin Res. 2018 Sep 1;11(9): 509–12.
46. Amin Sheikh M, Usama Shakir M, Shah M. The Assessment of Nutritional Status of Children with Beta Thalassemia Major with Body Mass Index. P J M H S. 2017;11(1): 262–5.
47. Aldoori NM. Prevalence of obesity among female adolescents in Al-Hillah City: Future risk of cardiovascular diseases. Res J Pharm Technol. 2017 Jul 1;10(7):2127–31. Available from: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2017-10-7-24
48. Sewwandi Karunaratna AMD, Ranasingha JS, Mudiyanse RM. Iron overload in beta thalassemia major patients. Int J Blood Transfus Immunohematol. 2017; 7:33.
49. Asadi-Pooya AA, Karamifar H. Body mass index in children with beta-thalassemia major [Internet]. Turk J Haematol. 2004; [cited 2020 Apr 1]. 21(4):177-180. Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/260387210_Body_mass_index_in_children_with_beta-thalassemia_major
50. Obaid FN, Jaffat HS. Physiological and histological study of the effect of finasteride drug (Prostacare) on the fertility of albino male rats. Res J Pharm Technol. 2018 Jun 1;11(6): 2323–5. Available from: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2018-11-6-32