Krishn Kumar Agrawal, Nitin Agrawal, Nidhi Jadon, Kuldeep Gangwar, Swarnim Jain, Nitin Sharma, Jyoti
Krishn Kumar Agrawal1, Nitin Agrawal1, Nidhi Jadon1, Kuldeep Gangwar1, Swarnim Jain1, Nitin Sharma1, Jyoti2*
1Faculty of Pharmacy, R.B.S. Engineering Technical Campus, Bichpuri, Agra (U.P.) - 283105.
2Institute of Pharmaceutical Research, GLA University, Mathura (U.P.) - 281406.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 7,
Year - 2021
Objective: The study was planned to investigate the extractive value and in-vitro anti-urolithiatic activity of different extracts of Embelia ribes Burn. F. and Ipomea hederacea Jacq seeds. Methods: Phytochemical analysis was undertaken to evaluate the phyto-constituents present in different extracts. The extracts were prepared by the maceration process. The in-vitro anti-urolithiatic activity was performed by dissolution and turbidity methods. Result: The extractive value of chloroform, ethanol, diethyl ether, n-hexane, acetone and water of Embelia ribes and Ipomea hederacea was found to be 2%, 2.5%, 2.5%, 2%, 1.5%, 1%w/w and 1.5%, 2%, 2.4%, 14%, 2%, 6% w/w respectively. The result of phytochemical analysis showed that aqueous, ethanolic, chloroform, diethyl ether, n-hexane and acetone extract of Embelia ribes and Ipomea hederacea have positive for alkaloids, proteins, carbohydrates, amino acids, tannins, protein, mucilage and glycoside. Moreover the result of anti-urolithiatic activity of ethanol and hexane extract of Embelia ribes and Ipomea hederacea were found to be 84.33±0.67%, 76.67±0.67%, 72.33±0.88 NTU and 73.00±1.15 NTU by dissolution and turbidity methods respectively. Conclusion: On the basis of result analysis, we can conclude that both the plants extract have anti-urolithiatic activity but ethanol and hexane extract have much significant activity than other extracts when compared to standard cystone.
Cite this article:
Krishn Kumar Agrawal, Nitin Agrawal, Nidhi Jadon, Kuldeep Gangwar, Swarnim Jain, Nitin Sharma, Jyoti. Determination of Extractive Value, Phytochemical Constituents and In-Vitro Anti-Urolithiatic Activity of Embelia ribes Burm. F. and Ipomea Hederacea Jacq. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(7):3566-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00617
Krishn Kumar Agrawal, Nitin Agrawal, Nidhi Jadon, Kuldeep Gangwar, Swarnim Jain, Nitin Sharma, Jyoti. Determination of Extractive Value, Phytochemical Constituents and In-Vitro Anti-Urolithiatic Activity of Embelia ribes Burm. F. and Ipomea Hederacea Jacq. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(7):3566-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00617 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-7-14
1. Agrawal KK et al., In vitro anti-urolithiatic activity of fresh juice of Citrus limon (L.). Indian Drugs. 2018; 55(01): 33-36
2. Harish GU, Danapur V, Jain R. Patell Villoo Morawala. Endangered Medicinal Plant Embelia ribes Burm. f.- A Review. Pharmacognosy Journal. 2012; 27: 6-19.
3. Bist M, Prasad SB. Embelia ribes: A valuable medicinal plant. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research. 2016; 8(4): 1229-1233
4. Maulik S et al., Screening of Embelia ribes for Antifungal Activity. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Drug Research. 2009; 3: 203-206.
5. Hossan MS et al., Antiviral activity of Embelia ribes Burm. F. against influenza virus in vitro. Archives Virology. 2018; 163(8): 2121-2131.
6. Alam KM, Akkulu NM, Zafar A. In-Vitro Antimicrobial Activity of Fruits Extract of Embelia ribes Burm. International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biological Achieve. 2010; 1(3): 267 – 270.
7. Revan K, Kumar CBM, Kiran B. Evaluation of Anti-acne Activity of Hydroalcoholic Extract of Embelia ribes Burm. International Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry Research. 2010; 7(6): 1116-1120.
8. Kekuda TR et al., In-vitro athelmintic activity of aqueous extract of Embelia ribes. Indian Journal of Biotechnology. 2009; 3(2): 87-89.
9. Chander H, Ahmed SM. Insecticidal activity of Embelia ribes Burm. Insecticidal activity of Embelia ribes Burm. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 1987; 24(4): 198-199.
10. Sushma D et al., Phytochemical Screening and In-Vivo Anti-inflammatory activity of Hydroalcoholic Extract of Embelia Ribes Burm. F. Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics. 2019; 9(4): 386-389.
11. Nazam A, Bhandari U. Antihyperhomocysteinemic activity of an Ethanol Extract from Embelia ribes. in albino Rats. Archieve Virology. 2018; 163(8): 2121-2131.
12. Saini P, Lakshmayya L, Bisht VS. Anti-Alzheimer activity of isolated karanjin from Pongamia pinnata (L.) pierre and embelin from Embelia ribes Burm. f. Journal of Research in Ayurveda. 2017; 38: 76-81.
13. Beena J, Lakshmi S. Antiproliferative Properties of Embelia Ribes. The Open Pro Chemistry Journal. 2010; 3: 17-22.
14. Sudha S, Pragya S. Antipyretic activity of hydroalcoholic extract of Embelia ribes. Pharmacology online. 2014: 3: 7-10
15. Manikandan D et al., Antibacterial and anticancer activities of silver nanoparticles biosynthesized using Embelia ribes Burm.f. Berries extract. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology. 2019; 57: 175-180
16. Uma B, Raman K, Pillai KK. Effect of Ethanolic Extract of Embelia ribes on Dyslipidemia in Diabetic Rats. International Journal of Experimental Diabetes Research. 2002; 3: 159–162.
17. Suralkar Anupama A, et al., Antihistaminic and bronchodilating actvity of fruit berries of Embelia ribes. International Research Journal of Pharmacy. 2012; 3(10): 182-184.
18. Othman SNN, Sekar M, In-vitro Antioxidant and Cytotoxic Activities of Silver Nanoparticles of Embelin Isolated from Embelia ribes. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019: 12(9): 4080-4084.
19. Pawar SS, Jadhav MG, Deokar TG. Study of Phytochemical Screening, Physicochemical Analysis and Antimicrobial Activity of Bacopa monnieri (L) Extracts. International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research. 2016; 8(8): 1222-1229.
20. Devi Ruckmani S, Chitra M, Jayamathi P. Hepatoprotectivity and an antioxidant study of Ipomoea hederacea on experimentally induced hepatotoxic rats. Recent Research in Science and Technology. 2010; 2(11): 17-19
21. Zia-Ul-Haq M et al., Antimicrobial screening of selected flora of Pakistan. Achieve of Biological Science. 2011; 63: 691–695.
22. Singh BP, Singh S. Chemical investigation of seed of Ipomoea hederacea and its biological activity. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research. 2012; 4: 1441–1448.
23. Zia-Ul-Haq M, Riaz M, De Feo V. Ipomea hederacea Jacq: A Medicinal Herb with Promising Health Benefits, Molecules. 2012; 17: 13132-13145.
24. Khadelwal KR. Hand Book of Practical Pharmacognosy. 1st ed. Pune: Nirali Prakashan; 2008.
25. Meena AK et al., Pharmacognostic and Physicochemical Studies of Embelia ribes Burm. f. Fruit used in Ayurvedic Formulations. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2013; 6(6): 645-648
26. Babu. PS et al., In silico and In vitro Evaluation of Anti-urolithiatic Activity of Ethanolic Extract of Syzygium cumini Stem Bark. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2017; 10(5): 1317-1321.
27. Suvarna Y, Abdul Rahaman SK, In-Vitro – In-Vivo Evaluation of Antiurolithiatic activity of piperine from Piper nigrum. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020; 13(1): 63-68.