This study aims at evaluating the characteristics of chitosan solid dispersion from whiteleg shrimp (Litopenaeus vannamei). As anti-cholesterol agent, chitosan requires solubility enhancement which can be facilitated in solid dispersion. Here, chitosan solid dispersion was made by solvent evaporation technique used HPMC and PVP K-30 as the carriers, in which the chitosan was prepared from whitleg shrimp shell Chitosan solid dispersion was varied into six formulation, i.e. chitosan: HPMC = FH1 (1:0.25), FH2 (1:0,5), FH3 (1:2), and chitosan: PVP K-30 = FP1 (1:1), FP2 (1:2), and FP3 (1:3), and pristine chitosan, HPMC, and PVP K-30 were utilized as reference compound. Characteristics of chitosan solid dispersion were assessed from the solubility test, SEM, XRD, and FTIR. The result indicates that solubility of chitosan solid dispersion was better than the pristine chitosan. The recommended formula from this study was FP3, because obtained smaller particle size than the other, that could increase the solubility of chitosan. The crystallinity of chitosan remained unchanged upon solid dispersion preparation.
Cite this article:
Hilya N. Imtihani, Silfiana N. Permatasari, Fitria A. Thalib. Solid Dispersion Characteristics of Whiteleg Shrimp (Litopenaeus vannamei) Extracted Chitosan with HPMC and PVP K-30 as Anti-cholesterol Agents. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(7):3559-5. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00616
Hilya N. Imtihani, Silfiana N. Permatasari, Fitria A. Thalib. Solid Dispersion Characteristics of Whiteleg Shrimp (Litopenaeus vannamei) Extracted Chitosan with HPMC and PVP K-30 as Anti-cholesterol Agents. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(7):3559-5. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00616 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-7-13
1. Khoushab F, Yamabhai M. Chitin Research Revisited. Mar. Drugs. 2010; 8: 1988–2012.
2. Sannan T, Kurita K, and Iwakura Y. Studies on chitin, 2. Effect of deacetylation on solubility. Die Makromolekulare Chemie. 2003; 177(12): 3589 – 3600.
3. Ibrahim HM, and El- Zairy EMR.. Chitosan as a Biomaterial- Structure, Properties, and Electrospun Nanofibers, Concepts, Compounds and the Alternatives of Antibacterials, Varaprasad Bobbarala, Intech Open. 2015
4. Sari R, Setyawan D, Retnowati D, and Pratiwi R. Development of Andrographolide- chitosan solid dispersion system: physical characterization, solubility, and dissolution testing. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2019; 13(1): 5- 9.
5. Leane, MM, Nankervis R, Smith , and Illum L. Use of the ninhydrin assay to measure the release of chitosan from oral solid dosage forms. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2004; 271 (1–2): 241-249
6. Aboe-Shoer M. A Simple Colorimetric Method for the Evaluation of Chitosan. American Journal of Analytical Chemistry. 2010; 2: 91-94
7. Ylitalo R, Lehtinen S, and Wuolijoki E. Cholesterol-lowering Properties and Safety of Chitosan. Arzneimittel-Forschung, 2002; 52(1): 1-7.
8. Jing B, Li L, Ji D, Takiguchi Y, and Yamaguchi T. Effect Of Chitosan On Renal Function In Patients With Chronic Renal Failure. Departemen Industri Kimia. 1997; 49: 721-723.
9. Pankaj S. and Prakash J. Solid Dispersion: An Overview. Pharmaceutical Research and Bio Science. 2013; 2(3): 114-43
10. Gokilavani S, Parthasarathy R. Physico-Chemical Characteristics and Antibacterial Activity of Chitosan Extracted from Shell of Crab Paratelphusa hydrodromous. Asian J Res Pharm Sci. 2014; 4: 125-8. Available from: www.asianpharmaonline.org
11. Anitha T, Sathishkumar K. Comparative Study of Adsorption for Chitosan, Sand and Chitosan Coated Sand. Asian J Pharm Tech. 2013; 3: 185-8. Available from: www.asianpharmaonline.org
12. Kolhe S, Chaudhari P, More D. Formulation Development of Solid Dispersion Prepared by Newer Approach: A Research. Pharm Res. 2013; 3: 172-80. Available from: www. asianpharmaonline.org
13. Manukonda K, Rao R, Aruna S, Prasanna L. Solid Dispersions-An Approach to Enhance the Dissolution Rate of Clopidogrel Bisulphate. Asian J Res Pharm Sci. 2014; 4: 165-8. Available from: www.asianpharmaonline.org
14. Yadav PS, Kumar V, Singh UP, Bhat HR, and Mazumder B. Physicochemical characterization and in vitro dissolution studies of solid dispersions of ketoprofen with PVP K30 and D-mannitol. Saudi Pharmaceutical Journal. 2013; 21: 77-84
15. Rowe RC, Sheskey PJ, and Quinn ME. Handbook of pharmaceutical excipients 6th edn. 2009. Pharmaceutical press. London.
16. Asija R, Bhatt S, Asija S, Shah I, Yadav A. Solubility Enhancement of Nebivolol by Solid Dispersion Technique. Asian J Pharm Tech. 2014; 4: 134-40. Available from: www. asianpharmaonline.org
17. Divya L, Keerthana LPV. Enhancement of Solubility of Raloxifene HCl by Formulating Immediate and Controlled Release Solid Dispersion. Asian J Pharm Technol. 2015; 5(4): 238.
18. Jang DJ, Sim T, and Oh E. Formulation and optimization of spray-dried amlodipine solid dispersion for enhanced oral absorption, Drug Dev. Ind. Pharm. 2013; 39(7): 1133-1141.
19. Alonzo DE, Zhang GG, Zhou D, Gao Y, and Taylor LS. Understanding the behavior of amorphous pharmaceutical systems during dissolution, Pharmaceut. Res. 2010; 27(4): 608-618.
20. Benhabiles MS, Salah R, Lounici H, Drouiche N, Goosen MFA, and Mamaeri N. Antibacterial activity of chitin, chitosan and its oligomers prepared from shrimp shell waste Food Hydrocolloids. 2012; 29: 48-56
21. Knoor D. 2004. Function properties of chitin and chitosan. Jurnal Food Science. 47(36): 36-38.
22. Potivas T, and Laokuldilok T. Deacetylation of Chitin and the Properties of Chitosan Films with Various Deacetylation Degrees. Chiang Mai University Journal of Natural Sciences. 2014; 13(1).
23. Czechowska-Biskup R, Jarosińska D, Rokita B, Ulański P, And Rosiak JM. Determination Of Degree Of Deacetylation Of Chitosan - Comparision Of Methods. Progress On Chemistry And Application Of Chitin And Its Derivatives. 2012; 5-20
24. Baxter, A., Dillon, M., Taylor, K. D. A., and Roberts, G. A. F. Improved method for IR determination of the degree of N-acetylation of chitosan. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules. 1992; 14: 166-169
25. Badan Standarisasi Nasional. Kitosan Syarat Mutu dan Pengolahan SNI 7949 BSN. 2013; Jakarta.
26. Hossain MS, and Iqbal A. Production and characterization of Chitosan from shrimp waste. Bangladesh Agril. Univ. 2014; 12(1): 153-160
27. Higuchi T, and Connors KA. Phase-solubility techniques. Adv Anal Chem Instr. 1965; 4: 117-212.
28. Roekmono, Hadi H, Imtihani HN, Muhimmah LC, Yuwono RA, and Wahyuono RA. Enhanced Sensitivity of Electrochemical Biosensor on Microfluidic Paper Based Analytical Device Using Zno/MWCNTS Nanocomposite. International Journal of Drug Delivery and Technology. 2019; 9(2): 138-144.
29. Roekmono, Hadi H, Muhimmah LC, Imtihani HN, Yuwono RA, and Wahyuono RA. Glucose and Cholesterol Sensing in Blood Plasma using ZnO-Paper Based Microfluidics. International Journal of Drug Delivery and Technology. 2018; 8(4): 153-158
30. Kranthi Kumar Reddy M, Narasimha Rao B, Ravindra Reddy K. Study on Effect of Excipients in Enhancing the Solubility of Nateglinide by Solid Dispersions. Pharm Res. 2012; 2: 144-7. Available from: www.asianpharmaonline.org
31. Debnath S, Vijay Kumar G, Satyanarayana S. Preparation and Evaluation of Solid Dispersion of Terbinafine Hydrochloride. Asian J Pharm Tech. 2013;3:9–15. Available from: www.asianpharmaonline.org
32. Savjani KT, Gajjar AK, and Savjani JK. Review Article Drug Solubility: Importance and Enhancement Techniques. ISRN Pharmaceutics. 2012, Article ID 195727.
33. Sagri AN, Rub RA, Kulkarni AS, Gonjari I, Saindane DS, Shaikh UI. Dissolution Enhancement of Ezetimibe by Solid Dispersion. 2(3).
34. Chaudhari. PD, SPK. Current trends in solid dispersions techniques. Pharmaceutical Reviews. 4. 2006
35. Reddy R, Kranthi Kumar Reddy M, Rao Bn. An Approach to Enhance Solubility of Gatifloxacin by Solid Dispersion Tecnique. Asian J Res Pharm Sci. 2012; 2: 58-61. Available from: www. asianpharmaonline.org
36. Hajare AA, Jadhav PR. Improvement of Solubility and Dissolution Rate of Indomethacin by Solid Dispersion in Polyvinyl Pyrrolidone K30 and Poloxomer 188. Asian J Pharm Tech. 2012; 2: 116-22