Atul S. Sayare, Priti B. Undre, Prashant D. Ghode, Sujata V. Singh, Shweta P. Ghode
Atul S. Sayare1*, Priti B. Undre1, Prashant D. Ghode1, Sujata V. Singh1, Shweta P. Ghode2
1Department of Pharmaceutical Quality Assurance, JSPM’s Rajarshi Shahu College of Pharmacy and Research, Pune, Maharashtra, India – 411033.
2Rasiklal M. Dhariwal Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Pune, Maharashtra, India – 411019.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 7,
Year - 2021
A simple, specific, precise, and accurate RP-HPLC method has been developed and validated for the estimation of Clomiphene citrate in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form using C18 column Shimadzu (250mm × 4.5mm × 5µm) with a mobile phase consisting of 900mL of HPLC grade methanol and 100mL of HPLC grade acetonitrile. The mobile phase was sonicated for 10 min and filtered through a 0.45µm membrane filter at a flow rate of 1.0mL/min. The detection was carried out at 295nm and retention time of Clomiphene citrate was found to be 3.44 min. Linearity was observed in the concentration range of 10–50µg/mL (coefficient of determination R2=0.999) with regression equation y =20321x + 60021. The method was validated as per ICH guidlines.
Cite this article:
Atul S. Sayare, Priti B. Undre, Prashant D. Ghode, Sujata V. Singh, Shweta P. Ghode. Development and Validation of RP-HPLC Method for the Estimation of Clomiphene Citrate in Pharmaceutical Dosage Form. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(7):3483-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00604
Atul S. Sayare, Priti B. Undre, Prashant D. Ghode, Sujata V. Singh, Shweta P. Ghode. Development and Validation of RP-HPLC Method for the Estimation of Clomiphene Citrate in Pharmaceutical Dosage Form. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(7):3483-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00604 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-7-1
1. Proteau PJ. Steroid hormones and therapeutically related compounds. In Wilson and Gisvold’s. Textbook of Organic medicinal and pharmaceutical chemistry, Edited by Beale JM and Block JH. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia. 2006: 12th ed: pp. 835.
2. Adashi EY. Clomiphene citrate: mechanism(s) and site(s) of action—a hypothesis revisited. Fertility and Sterility. 1984; 42: 331–344.
3. Kousta E, White DM and Franks S. Modern use of clomiphene citrate in induction of ovulation. Human Reproduction Update. 1997; 3(4): 359–365.
4. Vaghasiya N, Antala H and Mahajan T. Development and validation of first order spectrophotometric method for estimation of clomiphene citrate in bulk drug and formulation. International Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical and Nano Sciences. 2013; 2(1): 107- 114.
5. Hewala II. First derivative spectrophotometric and colorimetric determination of non-steroidal antiestrogens. Analytical Letters. 1993; 26(4): 625-640.
6. Rao Mallikarjuna GPV, Devi AP, Krisna Prasad KMM and Sastry CSP. A note on the estimation of Clomiphene citrate and Pimozide in bulk forms and pharmaceutical Formulations by Precipitation Reagents. Indian Drugs. 2002; 39: 395.
7. Rao Malikarjuna GPV, Aruna Devi P, Krishna Prasad KMM and Sastry CSP, DDQ (2,3-dichloro-5,6-dicyano-p-benzoquinone) as a chromogenic reagent for the determination of clindamycin hydrochloride, clomiphene citrate and mefloquine hydrochloride. Journal of Indian Chemical Society. 2002; 79: 848.
8. Vaddempudi V, Puranik SB, Kumar GVS and Sridhar KA. Development and validation of zero order spectrophotometric method for estimation of clomiphene citrate in bulk and tablet dosage form. International Journal of Pharm Tech Research. 2013; 5(1): 27-30.
9. Kim SB, Ozawa T, Umezawa Y. A screening method for estrogens using an array-type DNA glass slide. Analytical Sciences. 2003; 19: 499-504.
10. Peter JH, Harman, Graeme LB and George P. High performance liquid chromatographic determination of clomiphene using post-column on-line photolysis and fluorescence detection. Journal of Chromatography. 1981; 225(1): 131-138.
11. Urmos I, Benko SM and Klebovich I. Simple and rapid determination of clomiphene cis and trans isomers in human plasma by high-performance liquid chromatography using online post column photochemical derivatization and fluorescence detection. Journal of Chromatography B. 1993; 617: 168-172.
12. Hage DS and Sengupta A. Studies of protein binding to nonpolar solutes by using zonal elution and high-performance affinity chromatography: interactions of cis- and trans-clomiphene with human serum albumin in the presence of beta-cyclodextrin. Analytical Chemistry. 1998; 70(21): 4602-4609.
13. Sengupta A and Hage DS. Characterization of minor site probes for human serum albumin by high-performance affinity chromatography. Analytical Chemistry. 1999; 71(17): 3821-3827.
14. Bempong DK and Honigberg IL. Multivariate analysis of capillary electrophoresis separation conditions for Z-E isomers of clomiphene. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis.1996; 15(2): 233-239.
15. Hays PA. Proton nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy (NMR) methods for determining the purity of reference drug standards and illicit forensic drug seizures. Journal of Forensic Scienec. 2005; 50(6): 1342-1360.
16. Ross MSF and Judelman H. Separation of E- and Z-isomers of clomiphene citrate by high performance liquid chromatography using methenamine as mobile phase modifier. Journal of Chromatography. 1984; 50(6): 172-174.
17. Crewe HK, Ghobadi C, Gregory A, Rostami-Hodjegan A and Lennard MS. Determination by liquid chromatography–mass spectrometry of clomiphene isomers in the plasma of patients undergoing treatment for the induction of ovulation. Journal of Chromatography B. 2007; 847(2): 296-299.
18. Godge RK, Damle MC, Pattan SR, Kendre PN, Lateef S N and Burange PJ. RP- HPLC Method for simultaneous estimation of pseudoephidrine sulphate and desloratidine from bulk and tablets. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2009; 2(2): 139-142.
19. Dedania Z, Dedania R, Karkhanis V, Vidya Sagar G, Baldania M and Sheth NR. RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of omeprazole and ondansetron in combined dosage forms. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2009; 2(2): 108-111.
20. Phale MD and Hamrapurkar PD. A validated and simplified RP-HPLC of metoprolol succinate from bulk drugs. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2009; 2(2): 119-122.
21. Patel B , Dedania Z, Dedania R, Ramolia C, Vidya Sagar G and Mehta RS. Simultaneous estimation of lansoprazole and domperidone in combined dosage form by RP-HPLC. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2009; 2(2): 210-212.
22. ICH, Q2 (R1) validation of analytical procedures: text and methodology, Proceedings of the International Conference on Harmonization, November 1996.
23. Girase JC, Venkateshwarlu G and Banerjee SK. Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for simultaneous determination of ceftriaxone sodium and sulbactam sodium in bulk and pharmaceutical formulation. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2009; 2(3): 280-284.
24. Singh M, Kashkhedikar SG, Soni L , Garg A, Gandhi T and Patel A. Development of RP-HPLC method for estimation of carvedilol in tablet formulations. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2008; 1(1): 18-22.
25. Pawar HI, Kothapalli L, Thomas A, Nanda RK and Mare S. Simultaneous RP-HPLC method for estimation of ezetimibe and fenofibrate in synthetic mixture. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2008; 1(1): 25-28.
26. Chitlange SS, Imran M, Bagri K and Sakarkar DM. A stability-indicating reverse phase high performance liquid chromatography method for the simultaneous determination of ramipril and valsartan in pharmaceutical dosage form. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2008; 1(3): 215-217.
27. Gupta A, Yadav JS, Rawat S and Gandhi M. Method Development and hydrolytic degradation study of doxofylline by RP-HPLC and LC-MS/MS. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2011; 1(1): 14-18.
28. Satyanarayana L, Naidu SV, Narasimha Rao M, Ayyanna C. and Kumar A. The estimation of raltigravir in tablet dosage form by RP-HPLC. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2011; 1(3): 56-58.