Rochmah Kurnijasanti, Amaq Fadholly
Rochmah Kurnijasanti1*, Amaq Fadholly2
1Department of Veterinary Basic Medicine, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Universitas Airlangga, Surabaya, 60115, Indonesia.
2Doctoral Program in Veterinary Science, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Universitas Airlangga, Surabaya, 60115, Indonesia.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 6,
Year - 2021
Capsicum annum L. is a potential natural plant that have a lot of various pharmacological effects, including as anticancer agent. This study Aim to analyze Capsicum annum extract (CAE) on T47D cells. CAE (10, 20, 40, 60, 80µg/mL) treated on T47D cells to determined IC50 value by MTT assay. Apoptosis induction is also investigated through caspase-3 expressions (IC50, 2IC50). The present study showed that CAE suppress T47D cells proliferation with IC50 value of 75.81µg/mL. The caspase-3 expression on 2IC50 is higher (67.16%) than IC50 (52.16%). This result indicate that CAE has ability as anticancer agent by inhibiting cell growth and induce apoptosis through caspase-3 expression on T47D cells. Further study of CAE holds potential for novel therapies of cancer prevention and treatment.
Cite this article:
Rochmah Kurnijasanti, Amaq Fadholly. Cytotoxic Effect of Capsicum annum L. extract on T47D Cells: In vitro Study. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(6):3389-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00589
Rochmah Kurnijasanti, Amaq Fadholly. Cytotoxic Effect of Capsicum annum L. extract on T47D Cells: In vitro Study. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(6):3389-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00589 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-6-79
1. Siegel RL, Miller KD, Jemal A. Cancer statistics, 2017. CA Cancer J. Clin. 2017; 67: 7-30.
2. Rojas K, Stuckey A. Breast cancer epidemiology and risk factors. Clin. Obstet. Gynecol. 2016; 59(4): 651-672.
3. DeSantis CE, Fedewa SA, Sauer AG, Kramer JL, Smith RA, Jemal A. Breast cancer statistics, 2015: convergence of incidence rates between black and white women. CA Cancer J. Clin. 2016; 66(1): 31-42.
4. Xu G, Ye D, Zhao Q, He R, Ma W, Li Y, Tang S, Zhou Z, Li X, Zhang Z. circNFIC suppresses breast cancer progression by sponging miR-658. J. Cancer. 2020; 11(4): 4222-4229.
5. Yurtcu E, Iseri OD, Sahin FI. Effects of silymarin and silymarin-doxorubiin applications on telomerase activity of human hepatocellular carcinoma cell line HepG2. J. BUON. 2015; 20(2): 555-561.
6. Fadholly A, Ansori ANM, Jayanti S, Proboningrat S, Kusala MKJ, Putri N, Rantam FA, Sudjarwo SA. Cytotoxic effect of Allium cepa L. extract on human colon cancer (WiDr) cells: in vitro study. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(7): 3483-3486.
7. Shaimaa GA, Mahmoud MS, Mohamed MR, Emam AA. Phytochemical screening, antioxidant activities and in vitro anticancer potential of Egyptian capsicum spp. Biochem. Phamacol (Los Angel). 2016; 5(2): 1000205.
8. Yang J, Luo B, Xu G, Li T, Chen Y, Zhang T. Low-concentration capsaicin promotes colorectal cancer metastasis by triggering ROS production and modulating Akt/mTOR and STAT-3 pathways. Neoplasma. 2013; 60: 364-372.
9. Sonnenschein C, Soto AM. Carcinogenesis explained within the context of a theory of organisms. Prog. Biophys. Mol. Biol. 2016; 122(1): 70-76.
10. Brown KC, Witte TR, Hardman WE, Luo H, Chen YC, Carpenter AB, Lau JK, Dasgupta P. Capsaicin displays antiproliferative activity against human small cell lung cancer in cell culture and nude mice models via the E2F pathway. PloS ONE. 2010; 5: e10243.
11. Lu HF, Chen YL, Yang JS, Yang YY, liu JY, Hsu SC, Lai KC, Chung JG. Antitumor activity of capsaicin on human colon cancer cells in vitro and colo2015 tumor xenografts in vivo. J. Agric. Food. Chem. 2010; 58: 12999-13005.
12. Amruthraj NJ, Raj JP, Saravanan S, Lebel LA. In vitro studies on anticancer activity of capsaicinoids from capsicum Chinese against human hepatocellular carcinoma cells. Int. J. Pharm. Pharm. Sci. 2014; 6(4): 254-558.
13. Gavamukulya Y, Wamunyokoli F, El-Shemy HA. Annona muricata: is the natural therapy the most disease conditions including cancer growing in our backyard? A systematic review of its research history and future prospects. Asian Pac. J. Trop. Med. 2017; 10(9): 853-848.
14. Fadholly A, Ansori ANM, Proboningrat A, Nugraha AP, Iskandae RPD, Rantam FA, Sudjarwo SA. Apoptosis of HeLa cells via caspase-3 expression induced by chitosan-based nanoparticles of Annona squamosa leaf extract: in vitro study. Indian J. Pharm. Educ. Res. 2020; 54(2): 416-422.
15. Hanahan D, Weinberg RA. Hallmarks of cancer: the next generation. Cell. 2011; 144: 646-674.
16. Moon DO, Kang CH, Kang SH, Cjoi YH, Hyun JW, Chang WY, Kang HK, Koh YS, Maeng YH, Kim YR, Kim GY. Capsaicin sentizes TRAIL-induced apoptosis through Sp1-mediated DR5 up-regulation: involvement of Ca2+ inflx. Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol. 2012; 259: 87-95.
17. Chen X, Tan M, Feng B, Zhao Z, Yang K, Hu C, Liao N, Wang T, Chen D, Xie F, Tang C. Inhibiting ROS-STAT3-dependent autophagy enhanced capsaicin-induced apoptosis in human hepatocellular carcinoma cells. Free Radic. Res. 2016; 7: 744-755.
18. Arnab S, Bhattacharjee S, Mandal DP. Induction of apoptosis by eugenol and capsaicin in human gastric cancer AGS cells-elucidating the role of p53. Asian Pac. J. Cancer Prev. 2015; 16: 6753-6759.
19. Ip SW, Lan SH, Lu HF, Huang AC, Yang JS, Lin JP, Huang HY, Lien JC, Ho CC, Chiu CF, Wood W, Chung JG. Capsaicin mediates apoptosis in human nasopharyngeal carcinoma NPC-TW 039 cells through mitochondrial depolarization and endoplasmic reticulum stress. Hum. Exp. Toxicol. 2011; 11: 539-549.
20. Zhang JH, Lai FJ, Chen H, Luo J, Zhang RY, Bu HQ, Wang ZH, Lin HH, Lin SZ. Involvement of the phosphoinositide 3-kinase/ Akt pathway in apoptosis induced by capsaicin in the human pancreatic cancer cell line PANC-1. Oncol. Lett. 2013; 5; 43-48.
21. Sak K. In vitro cytotoxic activity of flavonoids on human ovarian cancer cell lines. Cancer Sci. Res. Open Access. 2015; 2(1): 1-13.
22. Anantharaju PG, Gowda PC, Vimalambike MG, Madhunapantula SV. An overview on the role of dietary phenolics for the treatment of cancers. Nut. J. 2016; 15: 99.
23. Gong X, Smith JR, Swanson HM, Rubin LP. Carotenoid lutein selectively inhibits breast cancer cell growth and potentiates the effect of chemotherapeutic agents through ROS-mediated mechanisms. Molecules. 2018; 23(4): 905.
24. Habli Z, Toumieh G, Faffat M, Rahal ON, Gali-Muhtasib H. Emerging cytotoxic alkaloids in the battle against cancer: overview of molecular mechanisms. Molecules. 2017; 22(2): 250.