Hemant K S Yadav, Shahnaz Usman, KVRNS Ramesh, Quamrul Islam
Hemant K S Yadav*, Shahnaz Usman, KVRNS Ramesh, Quamrul Islam
Department of Pharmaceutics, RAK College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, RAK Medical and Health Sciences University, Ras al Khaimah, UAE.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 6,
Year - 2021
The aim of the current study was to explore the possibility of preparing pellets of okra gum using extrusion and spheronization technique. Different formulations were prepared by altering the concentration of okra gum. Metronidazole was chosen as a model drug. The pellets were smooth and spherical in shape. FTIR and DSC spectra’s confirmed that there was no interaction between drug and polymer. The pellets were free-flowing and exhibited satisfactory flow characteristics along with good mechanical strength. Okra gum was able to control the drug release and around 90% drug was released in 8hrs. Pellets showed increase in swelling as the concentration of gum was increased. Mucoadhesion study exhibited that the prepared pellets had good mucoadhesive strength.
Cite this article:
Hemant K S Yadav, Shahnaz Usman, KVRNS Ramesh, Quamrul Islam. Formulation and Evaluation of Pellets of natural Okra gum prepared by Extrusion and Spheronization. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(6):3290-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00572
Hemant K S Yadav, Shahnaz Usman, KVRNS Ramesh, Quamrul Islam. Formulation and Evaluation of Pellets of natural Okra gum prepared by Extrusion and Spheronization. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(6):3290-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00572 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-6-62
1. Anuradha Mishra, Clark, Pal S. Modification of Okra mucilage with acrylamide: Synthesis, characterization and swelling behavior. Carbohydr. Polym. 2008; 72(4): 608–615.
2. Nurul Dhania, Mohd. Ibrahim Noordin, Ali Kadivar. The Use of Hibiscus esculentus (Okra) Gum in Sustaining the Release of Propranolol Hydrochloride in a Solid Oral Dosage Form. BioMed Res. Int. 2014; : 1-8.
3. Erkoboni DF. Extrusion-spheronization as a granulation technique. In, Parikh DM(ed). Handbook of pharmaceutical granulation technology, New York.2010.
4. Dukic A, Thommes M, Remon JP, et al. Production of pellets via extrusion-spheronization without the incorporation of microcrystalline cellulose: a critical review. Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 2009; 71: 38-46.
5. Ghebre Sellassie I. Pellets: a general overview. In Ghebre Sellassie I(ed). Pharmaceutical palletization technology, New York .1989.
6. Erkoboni KA. Extrusion/spheronization, In Ghebre Sellassie I, Martin C(eds). Pharmaceutical Extrusion Technology. New York. 2003.
7. Madoria N, Maheshwari Y. Development and Evaluation of Ramipril Pellets. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2012; 2(3): 87-93.
8. Vanitha. M. Venkataswamy, Sanam Niharika, Alluri Ramesh. Formulation Development and Evaluation of Mebeverine extended release Pellets. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2018; 8 (2): 71-77.
9. Soujanya B, Pavani Priya G, Murthy T.E.G.K.. Studies on Influence of Process and Formulation Variables on Performance of Omeprazole Pellets. Res. J. Pharm. Dosage Form. and Tech. 2015; 7(1): 21-29.
10. Sanjib Bahadur, Ranabir Chanda, A. Roy, A. Choudhury, S. Das, S. Saha. Preparation and Evaluation of Mucoadhesive Microcapsules of Captopril for Oral Controlled Release. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2008; 1(2): 100-105.
11. Sheetal Dhar, Varsha Pokharkar. Formulation Development of Mucoadhesive Matrix Tablet for Metformin Hydrochloride: In-Vitro and In-Vivo Evaluation. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2010; 3(2): 483-489.
12. Pathan AM, Channawar MA, Bakde BV, Gawande SR, Sapkal SR, Chandewar AV, KS Bombatkar. Sustained Release Mucoadhesive Tablets of Metoprolol Succinate for Buccal Administration. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2010; 3(2): 494-499.
13. Ashish Jayant Saraf, Sudhir Pange, Satyajit Deshmukh, Rahul Hajgude. Development and Evaluation of Mucoadhesive Buccal Tablet of Simvastatin. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2013; 6(4): 406-414.
14. Hem Chandra Gohain, Bhanu Pratap Sahu,. Formulation and Evaluation of Mucoadhesive Tablet of Metformin HCl using Jack Fruit Latex (Artocarpus heterophyllus). Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10(2): 371-377.
15. Jagdale Swati C., Hable Asawaree A., Kuchekar Bhanudas S., Chabukswar Aniruddha R. Development and Evaluation of Mucoadhesive Buccal Patches of Nifedipine. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2011; 4(6): 944-948.
16. Shaik Parveen Begum, Mohamed Mutahar R.K, Dinesh B.M., Lakshmi C.S.R., Nargund L.V.G.. Extrusion Process for High Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient Loading That Exhibit Controlled Release: Formulations and Evaluation There of. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2011; 4(8): 1197-1200.
17. Priyanka S, Ubaidulla U, Amit kumar N. Okra gum-alginate blend muoadhesive beads for controlled glibenclamide release. Int J Bio Macromolecules. 2015; 72: 1069-1075.
18. Patel VR, Patel SB, Patel KN et al. formulation and evaluation of simvastatin controlled release pellets by extrusion spheronization technique. Int J Pharm Res sch. 2012;1: 232-243.
19. Martins E, Christiana I, Stephen B, et al. Extraction and Physicochemical Characterization of a New Polysaccharide Obtained from the Fresh Fruits of Abelmoschus Esculentus. Iran J. Pharm. Res. 2011; 10: 237-246.
20. Gurpreet K, Deepinder S, Vivekjot B. Bioadhesive okra polymer based buccal patches as platform for controlled drug delivery. Int J Bio Macromolecules. 2014; 70:408-419.