Vani H. Bhargava, Poonam S. Sable, Deepak A. Kulkarni, Geeta P. Darekar
Vani H. Bhargava1, Poonam S. Sable2*, Deepak A. Kulkarni2, Geeta P. Darekar2
1Smriti College of Pharmaceutical Education, Indore, 452010, Madhya Pradesh, India.
2Srinath College of Pharmacy, Aurangabad, 431136, M.S. India.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 6,
Year - 2021
Antihypertensive drugs are expected to give quicker action with better bioavailability. In the present study, mouth dissolving tablets of Benazepril Hydrochloride were formulated by using direct compression technique employing combination of a superdisintegrants to achieve rapid disintegration of the tablets in oral cavity Croscarmellose sodium, sodium starch glycolate and crospovidone were used as superdisintegrant to prepare six batches of mouth dissolving tablets out of which tablets prepared from crospovidone showed best results. Drug and physical mixture was characterized by FTIR for compatibility study. Optimization technique was employed to predict the best formulation of all the combinations prepared. Prepared formulations were optimized and evaluated for wetting time, dispersion time and different quality parameters. Optimized formulation was compared with marketed formulation for in vitro drug release and it was found that mouth dissolving tablet shows efficient drug release.
Cite this article:
Vani H. Bhargava, Poonam S. Sable, Deepak A. Kulkarni, Geeta P. Darekar. Formulation and Evaluation of Mouth Dissolving Tablet of Benazepril Hydrochloride. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(6):3161-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00551
Vani H. Bhargava, Poonam S. Sable, Deepak A. Kulkarni, Geeta P. Darekar. Formulation and Evaluation of Mouth Dissolving Tablet of Benazepril Hydrochloride. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(6):3161-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00551 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-6-41
1. Balfour JA and Goa KL. Benazepril. A review of its pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic properties, and therapeutic efficacy in hypertension and congestive heart failure. Drugs 42(3); 1991: 511-39.
2. Yadav S, Garg S, Pareek AK, Kumar P and Kumar M. Formulation and optimization of sublingual tablet of Ramipril J Chem. and Pharm. Res. 2015;7(8): 1077-1086.
3. Dholakiya RB, Akbari BV, Shiyani BG, Patel GF, Ramani GK, Vekariya NR. The Effect of Various Superdisintegrating Agents on Mouth Dissolving Tablet of Ranitidine HCl. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2010; 3(1): 175-178.
4. Bera A and Mukherjee A, A Detailed Study of Mouth Dissolving Drug Delivery System, Acta Chimica Pharmaceutics Indica, 2013; 3(1): 65-93.
5. Dinesh S. Nandare, Satish K. Mandlik, Sachin K. Khiste, Yogesh D. Mohite. Formulation and Optimization of Mouth dissolving tablets of Olanzapine by using 32 Factorial Design. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2011; 4(8): 1265-1268.
6. Gadade DD, Kulkarni DA, Rathi PB, Pekamwar SS, Joshi SS. Solubility enhancement of lornoxicam by crystal engineering. Indian J Pharm Sci 2017; 79:277-86.
7. Gupta AK, Mittal A and Jha KK. Fast Dissolving Tablet – A review. The Pharma Innovation. 2012;1(1): 1-8.
8. Bhagat BV, Hapse SA, Jadhav AP, Gawand RB. Mouth Dissolving Tablet: A Formulation Approach. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10(1): 355-361.
9. Nautiyal U, Singh S, Singh R, Gopal, and Kakar S. Fast dissolving tablets as a novel boon: A review. Journal of Pharmaceutical, Chemical and Biological Sciences. 2014; 2(1): 5-26.
10. More S and Ghadge T. Fast disintegrating tablets: An overview. Asian Journal of Research Pharmaceutical Science. 2013; 3(2): 47-55.
11. Kalyankar P, Panzade P, Lahoti S. Formulation design and optimization of orodispersible tablets of quetiapine fumarate by sublimation method. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2015; 77(3): 267-273.
12. Patil S, Salunke P, Wagh R, Chavhan B, Damodare V, Dev S, and Barhate H. Mouth dissolving tablets: An overview of formulation technology. Indo-American Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2013; 3(6): 4192-4207.
13. Vikar R. Ansari, Nayan A. Gujarathi, Bhushan R. Rane, Sunil P. Pawar. Mouth Dissolving Tablet: A Novel Approach For Delivery Of Presystamically Metabolized Drug. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2016;9(3): 287-295.
14. Sharma D, Kumar D, Singh M, Singh G, Rathore MS. Fast disintegrating tablets: A new era in novel drug delivery system and new market opportunities. Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics. 2012; 2(3): 74-86.
15. Shirsand SB, Suresh S, Jodhana LS and Swamy PV. Formulation design and optimization of fast disintegrating Lorazepam tablets by effervescent method. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2010; 72(4): 431-436.
16. Keshav R. Deshmukh, Alok Pandey, Ashish Pandey, Vidyanand Patel, Shekhar Verma, Pramod Dewangan, Ghanshyam Deshmukh. Design and Development of Loratadine Containing Mouth Dissolving Tablets. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2011;4(11): 1676-1681.
17. Nikhat F., Satyanarayana D., Sheikh A.S., Prajakta H., Ajaj A. Formulation and Development of Mouth Dissolving Tablets of Isolated Molecules and Evaluation for Anti-Hyperglycemic Activity. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2014; 7(3): 275-283.
18. Venkatalakshmi R, Sasikala C, SP Silambarasan. Formulation and Evaluation of Loperamide Hydrochloride Mouth Dissolving Tablet by Using Super Disintegrants. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2010; 3(2): 530-534.
19. Jain CP and Naruka PS. Formulation and evaluation of fast dissolving tablets of Valsartan. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci. 2009; 1: 219-26.
20. Watanabe Y. New compressed tablet rapidly disintegrating in the mouth using crystalline cellulose and a disintegrant. Biological and pharmaceutical bulletin. 1995; 18(9): 1308-1310.
21. Bi Y, Sunada K, Yonezawa Y, Danjo K, Otsuka A and Iida K. Preparation and evaluation of a compressed tablet rapidly disintegrating in the oral cavity. Chemical and pharmaceutical bulletin. 1996;44(11): 2121-2127.
22. Vikar R. Ansari, Nayan A. Gujarathi, Bhushan R. Rane, Sunil P. Pawar. Mouth Dissolving Tablet: A Novel Approach For Delivery of Presystamically Metabolized Drug. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2016; 9(3): 287-295.
23. Gundu R, Pekamwar S, Shelke S, Kulkarni D. Sustained release formulation of Ondansetron HCl using osmotic drug delivery approach. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 2020; 46:343-55.
24. Cilurzo F, Selmin F, Minghetti P, Rimoldi I, Demartin F and Montanari L. Fast-dissolving mucoadhesive microparticulate delivery system containing piroxicam. European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2005;24(4); 355-361.
25. K. Adinarayana Reddy, Y. Srinivasa Rao. Formulation and in vivo Evaluation of Granisetron HCl mouth Dissolving films in Healthy Human Volunteers. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2018; 11(1): 236-244.