A novel ternary copper (II) complex have been synthesized by the addition of N, N-heterocyclic ligand with L-amino acid. The copper (II) complex, [Cu(1,10-phen) (L-Thr) Br] (where phen=1,10-phenanthroline and Threo=Threonine) characterized by various spectroscopic method. The intense UV band around 271nm was due to p-p* transition. The DNA binding study of these copper (II) complex are examined by UV–Visible, Emission spectroscopic, cyclic voltammetric and viscosity method. The results revealed that complex shown to be a intercalation mode of binding into DNA. The anticancer activity of Cu (II) complexes has capability to the kill HepG2 liver cancer cell as assessed by the MTT method, The Ic50value was found 21.50µg/ml The biological activity of the complex tested against certain pathogenic bacteria and fungi results revealed it was found to be potent antibacterial agent.
Cite this article:
V. Shalini, R. Deepika, M. N Arumugham. In-Vitro Cytotoxicity, Antimicrobial activities and DNA binding studies, of Novel Copper (II) complex with Heterocyclic base. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(6):3051-5. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00533
V. Shalini, R. Deepika, M. N Arumugham. In-Vitro Cytotoxicity, Antimicrobial activities and DNA binding studies, of Novel Copper (II) complex with Heterocyclic base. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(6):3051-5. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00533 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-6-23
1. Kathiresan S, Mugesh S, Murugan M, Ahamed F, and Annaraj J. Mixed- ligand copper(ii)-phenolate complexes: structure and studies on DNA/protein binding profiles, DNA cleavage, molecular docking and cytotoxicity. RSC Advances. 2016; 6(1): 1810- 1825.
2. Raman N and Sobha S. Exploring the DNA binding mode of transition metalbased biologically active compounds. Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy. 2012; 85(1): 223–234.
3. Raman N, Mahalakshmi R, and Mitu, L. Bio-sensitive activities of coordination compounds containing 1,10-phenanthroline as co-ligand: Synthesis, structural elucidation and DNA binding properties of metal (II) complexes. Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy.2014;131: 355–364.
4. Tabassum S, Ahmad M, Afzal M, Zaki M, Faizi MSH, and Ali A. Synthesis and crystal structure determination of cobalt (II) mixed-ligand complex containing 1,10-phenanthroline and 5-(2-carboxybenzyloxy) isophthalic acid; their biological evaluation viz. DNA/protein binding profile, pBR322 DNA cleavage activity. Inorganica Chimica Acta.2016;451: 216–22.
5. Chauhan M, Banerjee K, and Arjmand F. DNA Binding Studies of Novel Copper(II) Complexes Containingl- Tryptophan as Chiral Auxiliary: In Vitro Antitumor Activity of Cu−Sn2Complex in Human Neuroblastoma Cells. Inorganic Chemistry. 2007; 46(8): 3072-3082.
6. Villarreal W, Colina-Vegas L, Visbal G, Corona O, Corrêa RS, Ellena, J., Navarro, M. Copper(I)–Phosphine Polypyridyl Complexes: Synthesis, characterization, DNA/HSA Binding Study, and Antiproliferative Activity. Inorganic Chemistry.2017; 56(7): 3781–3793.
7. İnci D, Aydın R, Yılmaz D, Gençkal HM, Vatan O, Çinkılıç N, and Zorlu Y. Newwater-soluble copper(II) complexes including4,7-dimeth1,phenanthroline and l-tyrosine: Synthesis, characterization, DNA interactions and cytotoxicities. Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy.2015;136: 761–770.
8. Marzano C, Pellei M, Tisato F, and Santini, C. Copper Complexes as Anticancer Agents. Anti-Cancer Agents in Medicinal Chemistry. 2009; 9(2): 85–211.
9. Ezhilarasan Dharmalingam, Arumugham, MN: Synthesis, characterization DNA binding and biological activity of Copper (II) complexes with mixed ligands. Journal of Chemical, Biological and Physical Sciences.2017;7: 896-905.
10. Dhakshanamoorthy, Krishnan MM and Arumugham MN: Ternary copper (II) complexes containing thiosemicarbazide DNA binding, antimicrobial activities, and DFT study. Indian Journal of Advances in Chemical Science. 2018; 6: 53-58.
11. Ezhilarasan D, Krishnan MM and Arumugham MN, DNA binding/cleavage and antimicrobial activity of copper(ii) complexes containing l-methionine and urea. Journal of Chemistry and Chemical Sciences 2017; 7: 477-485.
12. Baskaran S, Krishnan MM, Arumugham M Nand Kumar R: Synthesis, DFT analysis and DNA studies, cytotoxicity and luminescence properties of a dinuclear copper(II) complex with1,10-phenanthroline and 4-aminobenzoate, Journal of Coordination Chemistry 2019;72:941-961.
13. Saravanan PC, Krishnan MM and Arumugham MN: DNA binding and cytotoxicity studies of ternary copper(ii) complexes containing heterocyclic bases and thiourea. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Research2019;10: 148- 156.
14. Baskaran S, Krishnan MM, Arumugham MN and Rakesh Kumar: DFT analysis and DNA binding, cleavage of copper (II) complex Journal of Molecular Liquids 2016; 221:1045-1053.
15. S. Kumaran, D. Ezhilarasan and M. N. Arumugham: Synthesis, Characterization, DNA Binding studies and Biological activities of Copper (II) Complexes containing 1,10- Phenanthroline / 2,2’ – bipyridyl and L-Ornithine and Ethylamine. Int. J. Curr. Res. Chem. Pharm. Sci.2019 6(11): 33-46.
16. Barton JK, Danishefsky A, and Goldberg J.Tris(phenanthroline) ruthenium(II): stetereoselectivity in binding to DNA. Journal of the American Chemical Society,1984; 106(7): 2172–2176.
17. Sundaravadivel E, Vedavalli S, Kandaswamy M, Varghese B, and Madankumar P. DNA/BSA binding, DNA cleavage and electrochemical properties of new multidentate copper(ii) complexes. RSC Adv.2014; 4(77):40763–40775.
18. Pyle AM, Rehmann JP, Meshoyrer R, Kumar CV, Turro N J, and Barton J K. Mixed-ligand complexes of ruthenium(II): factors governing binding to DNA. Journal of the American Chemical Society1989; 111:3051–3058.
19. Chaires JB, Satyanarayana S, Suh D, Fokt I, Przewloka T, and Priebe W. Parsing the Free Energy of Anthracycline Antibiotic Binding to DNA.Biochemistry,1996;35(7): 2047–2053.
20. Gabbay EJ, Grier D, Fingerle RE, Reimer R, Levy R, Pearce SW, and Wilson, W. D. Interaction specificity of the anthracyclines with deoxyribonucleic acid. Biochemistry, 1976;15(10): 2062–2070.
21. Temperini C. The crystal structure of the complex between a disaccharide anthracycline and the DNA hexamer d(CGATCG) reveals two different binding sites involving two DNA duplexes. Nucleic Acids Research, 2003; 31(5): 1464–1469.
22. Wu H, Wang H, Kong J, Zhou X, Yang B, Li L, Xian J and Fan X: Synthesis characterization, and DNA-binding properties of the cadmium (II) complex With 1,3-bis(1-methyl benzimidazole-2-yl)-2-oxopropane. Synthesis and Reactivity in Inorganic, Metal-Organic, and Nano-Metal Chemistry 2014; 44: 545-551.
23. Carter MT, Rodriguez M, and Bard A. J: Voltammetric studies of the interaction of metal chelates with DNA. 2. Tris-chelated complexes of cobalt (III) and iron(II) with 1,10-phenanthroline and 2,2’-bipyridine. Journal of the American Chemical Society.1989; 111(24): 8901–8911.
24. Erdemoglu N, Küpeli, E and Yeşilada, E:Anti-inflammatory and antinociceptive activity assessment of plants used as remedy in Turkish folk medicine. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 2003; 89: 123–129.
25. Perez C, Pauli, Bazerque MP: An antibiotic assay by the agar-well diffusion method. Acta Biol. Med. Exp.1990; 15: 13- 115.
26. Bagamboula C, Uyttendaele CM and Debevere J: Inhibitory effect of thyme and basil essential oils, carvacrol, thymol, estragol, linalool and p-cymene towards Shigella sonnei and S. flexneri. Food Microbiology 2004; 21: 33–42.
27. S. Kumaran, D. Ezhilarasan and M. N. Arumugham. synthesis, Characterization, DNA Binding studies and Biological activities of Copper (II) Complexes containing 1,10 Phenanthroline, L - Ornithine and Urea and Thiourea. Int. J. Curr. Res. Chem. Pharm. Sci. (2019); 6(10): 20-34.
28. Kannan D and Arumugham MN: Synthesis, Characterisation, DNA-Binding Studies and antimicrobial activity of Copper (II) Complex with 1,10 Phenanthroline, L-Tyrosine and Thiosemicarbazide as Ligands. Elixir Appl. Chem. 2014;74: 27007-27014.
29. Gopinathan H, Komathi N and Arumugham MN: Synthesis, structure, DNA binding, cleavage and biological activity of cobalt (III) complexes derived from triethylenetetramine and 1, 10 phenanthroline ligands. Inorganica Chimica Acta 2014; 416: 93-101.
30. Santhakumar P and Arumugham MN: Synthesis, characterization of copper (II) complex with mixed ligands of 1, 10-phenanthroline, L-phenylalanine and ethylamine: studies on DNA binding, nuclease, and biological activities. International Journal of Recent Scientific Research 2012; 3: 459-466.
31. Mosmann, T: Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: Application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays. Journal of Immunological Methods,1983; 65(1-2): 55–63.
32. Wilson AP. Cytotoxicity and Viability Assays in Animal Cell Culture: A Practical Approach, 3rd ed. (ed. Masters JRW). Oxford: Oxford University Press 2000; 1: 175-219.